Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wouldn't really say Tri was pointless it was a big reason as to why Digimon had a big resurgence in the west

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I really stop to think about it, the lack of human villains seems like an antithesis to how the franchise started out, isn't it? I mean, didn't the meta-canon used to revolve around malicious hackers who'd abuse data to create dangerous monsters? But that seems to have all changed when the focus shifted more to isekai adventures, with the big bad all too often being some allegory for Satan (rather ironic when Digital Monsters are frequently marketed as ALL being tamable by humans and morally neutral as a result).
They can’t show Omegamon stabbing a human into a gory, bloody mess after all.
Theoretically,they could, the question is one of whether the villain were truly human, a digimon that desires to be human and poses as one, or a human who has lost their humanity. The problem is that it poses moral and ethical concerns that Digimon as a franchise can't grapple with. Digimon as autonomous moral agents. What would happen should a partner digimon be ordered to kill someone, or went rogue and actually started killing people?

Digimon could have *gone there*, but that wouldn't be the content for a series, but a film series, on its own.

I hate the notion of Menoa having been *that* villain killing people off, but it would have worked with where she was as a character. But I suppose the reveal would be having her be a puppet of Lillithmon who promised to restore Morphomon, but who ends up killing Menoa once she has served her purpose.

Too dark?

Sounds like something you'd see in Saint Seiya.

Wouldn't really say Tri was pointless it was a big reason as to why Digimon had a big resurgence in the west
But what story did it tell exactly?

Mind you, I enjoyed it, but objectively, it didn't move the story along. It was pure nostalgia.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You might say the same of 02. It didn't resolve anything that Adventure had left unresolved. It introduced new story elements.

TheMatrix

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You might say the same of 02. It didn't resolve anything that Adventure had left unresolved. It introduced new story elements.
Just out of curiousity do you have a preference when it comes to 02 and Tri.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm bad at ranking things, but I guess 02, just because it's older and was probably what ensured that I would remain a Digimon fan (and in a very roundabout way gave me my career). In terms of objective quality, they're about the same.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm bad at ranking things, but I guess 02, just because it's older and was probably what ensured that I would remain a Digimon fan (and in a very roundabout way gave me my career). In terms of objective quality, they're about the same.
They both kind of fall apart after the first arc (Kaiser in 02 and Mimi and Joe’s arc in Tri)

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
02 atleast did some interesting things, Tri was just a bad fanfic, new bland character who is the focus of the entire thing, the MC kinda falling for her, her digimon is called the same as her and it´s a tailmon clone.

tbqh i´d rank it around young hunters, yeah i said it.

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They both kind of fall apart after the first arc (Kaiser in 02 and Mimi and Joe’s arc in Tri)
I really liked the chemistry between Joe and Mimi.

I wanted them to be endgame.

I guess that's an unpopular opinion?

I don't like TK with Kari. I think they're good friends, but not anything more than that.

I *could* see Izzy with Yolei. Not that I have ever shipped them, but I can see it.

I dislike the penchant for many recent Digimon designs with breeches and tailcoats.

Razielmon's design is uninspired.

The whole Meicoomon line is lacking.

I disliked 02 Mimi.

I disliked the sneakers and gloves from the original Adventure.

I think 02 was going somewhere different when it came to the Digital World outfits, but may have been ahead of its time. Not fashion wise, but a lot of the outfits remind me of the current trend towards "being active and fit" meant to encourage children to emulate their favorite characters.

Last edited:

HawkG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess my unpopular opinion would be that I think Ken Ichijouji is a poorly written character who encapsulates everything wrong with 02. He character is shallow, his arc is muddled, and his character agency is stripped away the longer the story goes on.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked the chemistry between Joe and Mimi.

I wanted them to be endgame.

I guess that's an unpopular opinion?
I actually think it’s awesome we got opposite sex best friends who share nothing in common except their shared compassion for every one they meet. They’d totally work as a couple but I don’t think the “spark” is there, though.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the infantilization of Agumon and Co. in Kizuna is what made it worse, because of all the literal hand-holding. It gives the impression that Tai was letting his little brother die.
I don't think Last Evolution is alone in that regard. As early as the first arc of 02 we had Tailmon commenting on how the children keep getting older, but the Digimon always stay the same.
It’s really freaking weird given that the core thing about Digimon is that they grow through massive, incongruous changes as they grow. Far more than humans. And Tailmon herself went through a series of drastic personality growth and changes but then just froze when she met Hikari.
I always thought it would be cool for the Digimon to evolve with the children i.e. when they become adults, the Digimon evolve to Adult-stage naturally.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love 02's International DigiDestined concept and Tamers' "Digimon is a well known phenomenon" concept and wish a future series would utilize one or both of these elements (sort of like the games). I just feel the chosen one/few idea to be a bit overplayed in Digimon and shows like it.

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love 02's International DigiDestined concept and Tamers' "Digimon is a well known phenomenon" concept and wish a future series would utilize one or both of these elements (sort of like the games). I just feel the chosen one/few idea to be a bit overplayed in Digimon and shows like it.
You mean like Pokémon?

I don't know how well that would work with Digimon. I suppose you'd have something akin to a Team Rocket and other crime groups using Digimon for nefarious ends, but Digimon are demonstrated to be able to cause a great deal more destruction.

Still, this brings up the ethical question i brought up before. Can a human partner order their Digimon partner to murder someone? Digimon are capable of rational thought and thus are autonomous moral agents. How do you put them on trial for murder?
I mean, Pokémon hasn't touched on the subject of death by Pokémon, but it's also a much lighter series. Pokémon are closer to pets, though they are capable of some degree of high level reasoning.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You mean like Pokémon?

I don't know how well that would work with Digimon. I suppose you'd have something akin to a Team Rocket and other crime groups using Digimon for nefarious ends, but Digimon are demonstrated to be able to cause a great deal more destruction.

Still, this brings up the ethical question i brought up before. Can a human partner order their Digimon partner to murder someone? Digimon are capable of rational thought and thus are autonomous moral agents. How do you put them on trial for murder?
I mean, Pokémon hasn't touched on the subject of death by Pokémon, but it's also a much lighter series. Pokémon are closer to pets, though they are capable of some degree of high level reasoning.
I guess Digimon in general isn't quite like Pokemon because the franchise has always dealt with the idea of computer data coming to life as this sort of mysterious, and in many regards secret, phenomenon. Thus, it's usually either isekai or an underground society of hackers, dimensional enforcers, and/or kids hiding their pets. However, Digimon World 2 has shown that it's possible to have a human society directly transplanted into the Digital World itself. For that matter, Digimon World 3 revolved around a popular MMO that just happened to spin out of control.

As for the idea of Partner Digimon killing a human, I have zero doubts that it could happen. Hell, we see all the time that certain wild/independent Digimon would have no qualms about doing so and even made the attempt (we even saw Galgomon attempt to kill Ruki, albeit he was going out of control..... still, it says something when he's a Vaccine, what's supposed to be the most just-minded attribute). Just throw in a partnership with a deranged human being and there you go.

Last edited:

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
isn´t that what Data Squad kinda is? anyone can have a Digimon Partner and it´s a known phenomenon, DS just has it as a government coverup, makes sense though.

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for the idea of Partner Digimon killing a human, I have zero doubts that it could happen. Hell, we see all the time that certain wild/independent Digimon would have no qualms about doing so and even made the attempt (we even saw Galgomon attempt to kill Ruki, albeit he was going out of control..... still, it says something when he's a Vaccine, what's supposed to be the most just-minded attribute). Just throw in a partnership with a deranged human being and there you go.
But what would be the implications were it to happen?

Digimon doesn't have the track record for high tier world building. A world where Digimon can and do take people out would be horrifying.

Imagine Flamedramon stabbing someone and then incinerating them.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, so what? Other kids anime deal with violent death. There’s no reason Digimon couldn’t if it wanted to.

TheMatrix

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also given that 02 very much dealt with child death and that series was still aimed at children unlike say Kizune and Tri then their is not much reason not to do it if it presents potentially good storylines.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But what would be the implications were it to happen?

Digimon doesn't have the track record for high tier world building. A world where Digimon can and do take people out would be horrifying.

Imagine Flamedramon stabbing someone and then incinerating them.
I'm not sure why you're deadset on bringing up these hypotheticals that, while horrible, very much CAN happen within that setting. The only argument I could really see against it happening is simply because the franchise itself hasn't gone there (and even that's subject to change given the shift towards an older audience in recent years, so the murder of humans by Digimon may be a possibility at some point).

Some people brought up the Infermon in Cyber Sleuth, but IIRC, it was just employed by the human traffickers who'd steal their victim's bodies. Infermon was not by any means killing people directly. Though speaking of Cyber Sleuth, it was HIGHLY implied that Yuuko's father didn't commit suicide...... granted, LordKnightmon likely had to use Rie's body to carry out the act since she had no way of manifesting within the physical world, so it's not exactly a case of a guy getting Spiral Masqueraded into several bloody pieces. But it is, nevertheless, a human getting murdered by a Digimon in some way, shape, or form.

Last edited: