Unpopular opinions and rants about the Digimon franchize.

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Myotismon or Vamdemon is only a superior villain when compared to Piedmon and Metalseadramon. He is really just Devimon but more Vampire than Devil. I mean let's think about it.

Wanting to take over an limited and fairly small era of the world that they have inhabited. In the case of Devimon it is File Island in the Digiworld were as Myotismon want's to take over Tokyo after isolating it in fog from the rest of the world. ✓

There is a prophecy of an evil Digimon being taken down by the Digimon of a Chosen child which turn out to be one of the digidestineds younger sibling. ✓

A vampiric demon Digimon getting pierced by an angel. ✓

A vampiric demon Digimon grows massive size by summoning his weapons into him. In the case of Devimon they are the black gears in the case of Myotismon his bat creatures. ✓

The one thing I will give Myotismon tho is the character trait of him being a mad savage beast who wants to come of as an approachable gentleman and in his Myotismon stage he only really stops hiding his actual emotions when trapping the city in fog.

This is admittedly also why I am more keen on his Venomyotismon form than people who favor him since it is honestly just the same character just more powerful and unfiltered.

Meiko was not a bad character and in fact her ''Old Yeller''storyline with her life partner Meikomon was the best thing about Tri.

Digimon does not owe everything that makes it great to Pokemon. First of Tamagotchi existed before Pokemon but even if that was not the case things like kids traveling to a fantasy world were time moves differently a spiral mountain gaurded by a number of bosses until they face of handsome looking clown, not to mention Mimi's and Matt¨¨s designs seems to owe allot more to Narnia and Final Fantasy 6-7 than the Nintendos most succesfull RPG.

I rest my case.

kislein

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have no idea if this would be considered an unpopular opinion or not, but Digimon Rumble Arena was the bomb and probably the most fun I've had playing a digimon game. I've tried others and myloweslife they were all incredibly meh.
Pretty cool and awesome.

Last edited:

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I prefer stories without DigiDestined and more cliche fantasy world depictions and instead the stories of Digimon where characters just happen to shape the fate of the worlds/internet and utilize the digital side of Digimon a lot more. I like the newer Story games as they explore the impact of Digimon on how we experience the internet and what somebody with programming expertise can do in a digital space with these lifeforms. The scenes in Adventure where Izzy goes programming Hackerman mode interest me so much.
tl;dr I like the feeling of Digimon being plausible in our current, real world and how we would deal with artificial digital lifeforms popping up in real life. It can explore a lot of questions, concepts, and possibilities

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mythbusters, Digital version of Monster Hunter's creature ecosystem & ecologies studying/exploration, and Dark Souls' lore in mysteries?

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Heres my opinion, not sure if its unpopular or not though: Most angel digimon are wasted potential, their designs would be much better if they stuck with the biblical descriptions( and much more monstrous).
On that topic: Ophanimon is actually a Cherubim due to its design. It has 4 faces and a humanoid shape with wings covering its body. The only part of its design that are Ophanim related are the wheel adornments, but its body is that of a Cherubim. It doesnt help that Ophanim and Cherubim are often depicted together.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd actually be somewhat intrigued to see ringless Tailmon make a comeback. Given how recent video games have functioned, maybe they could make it a weakened "Mode Change" for Tailmon (officially counting it as a Child level), but it could have exclusive access to Armor Evolution. In fact, if you've seen me in the Lost Digimon thread, you'd probably know that I'm pretty intrigued by minor variant Digimon in general (stuff like the Justimon Trinity Arms and detached MagnaGarurumon, both of which have been recognized in more recent media).

Does it count if the opinion is only unpopular among the online people I see, even if it goes with what the series is already doing and by extension is actually popular among the majority?

If so: Omegamon is a great face digimon, I enjoy all the forms it gets, and I wanna see an "official" Omegamon clash. Like, it being officially part of a game or something, not just "suggested" (ex. your tutorial partners in N0 being WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon while there's an enemy Omegamon in the game) or in art.

If not: Well too bad.
I'd be fine with more Omegamon if we can get at least one Data variant. As it stands, we already have THREE Virus Omegamon.

Speaking of which, it might be an unpopular opinion to say that I put a LOT of stock into Digimon's attribute system. I dunno, I guess in all my years familiarizing myself with the franchise, I've come to recognize which attributes most Digimon have. I especially liked seeing it used as a rock-paper-scissors system in Digimon World 2 (though as I'd later find out, this was present in earlier media), and I was pretty excited to see Cyber Sleuth bring it back in full force. Speaking of which, I also think that combining no-attribute, Free, Variable, and Unknown into a single neutral type was also a good idea (until recent years, I'd have figured that most of the franchise just wanted to stick with the three standard attributes all around, especially given how the card game designated such attributes to all the 02 Digimon.... granted, it does make the Armor forms seem lazy in that regard, but regardless, I think Free works for this sort of role).

SavageGreymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Heres my opinion, not sure if its unpopular or not though: Most angel digimon are wasted potential, their designs would be much better if they stuck with the biblical descriptions( and much more monstrous).
On that topic: Ophanimon is actually a Cherubim due to its design. It has 4 faces and a humanoid shape with wings covering its body. The only part of its design that are Ophanim related are the wheel adornments, but its body is that of a Cherubim. It doesnt help that Ophanim and Cherubim are often depicted together.
I like the Angel designs we currently have, but I agree that having more esoteric/monstrous Angels too would be really cool. So maybe not wasted potential so much as untapped?

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they should give angel digimon "true forms" and have their humanoid forms be a sort of mask they put on to make other digital lifeforms more comfortable

SavageGreymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Perhaps something similar to a Burst Mode that reveals the more alien Angelic forms?

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they should give angel digimon "true forms" and have their humanoid forms be a sort of mask they put on to make other digital lifeforms more comfortable
That's a neat idea; I'd put that in the headcanons thread. It also works great with how most of the humanoid ones wear masks to begin with.

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is not one design for angels in the Bible. If anything the angels who almost got assaulted in Sodom looked more human than later depictions of angels since their attackers mistoke them for mere men.

I guess you could say that the angel Digimons are more an adaptation of Greek figures such as Nike or Cupids.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is not one design for angels in the Bible. If anything the angels who almost got assaulted in Sodom looked more human than later depictions of angels since their attackers mistook them for mere men.

I guess you could say that the angel Digimons are more an adaptation of Greek figures such as Nike or Cupids.
To be fair, the same can also be said for the depiction of angels as winged humanoids that became so commonplace. Hell, Kid Icarus has the angel Pit serving Palutena who is meant to represent the Greek Goddess Pallas Athena as indicated by her name being derived from the katakana of Athena's full title パラス・アテナ (Parasu Atena) though it also stem from the katakana of the Greek words "Parthenon" (パルテノン Parutenon), a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena, and/or "Parthena" (パルテナ Parutena) meaning "virgin".

Also, it's not just Nike or Cupids since the latter's Greek counterpart/predecessor Eros as well as Thanatos are also depicted as winged humanoids.
To be fair, Ophanimon does spend most of Frontier trying to reason with Cherubimon while in his custody.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Getting back into hot takes..... like it or not, I think that "Digivolve" seems to have been firmly deemed by Bandai to be the official English equivalent to "Shinka". I say this simply because of how prominent the term seems to be even in Japanese media. The Digivolving Spirits toy line perhaps being the most obvious example, though the term "Digivolve" has been present at least as far back as Digimon Battle Chronicle (though going even further back, the Spanish equivalent term was also used by Chichos's, the Mexican girl's, Gotsumon in 02).

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, what does Sinka even mean?

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
* The split evolutions trees are awesome but can also be an excuse for laziness: I don't mind one-off Digimon like Mojyamon or Shellmon but stuff like Otamamon having three stages and then just crapping out with Metal Etemon ticks me off. As much as I like the randomness, it often leads to more creativity than some of the more boring Pokemon levels (where the evolutions are usually "just gets bigger and sometimes grows wings") it feels like they abandon themes too much and just shove in unrelated crap instead.

* There's an over-saturation of knights and dragons: Stop it. It's boring. This goes hand-in-hand with the oversaturation of the Royal Knights. The ONLY new Dragon Digimon I ever want to see is a plant (which is an untapped theme thus far) and the ONLY new knight I ever want to see is Keramon Royal Knight's eventual evolutions.

* There's been a long drought of female-coded Digimon and the ones we get are creepy waifu stuff: We used to just get female-coded Digimon like Piyomon, Palmon, and Protomon - but after Adventure there's been like what? Renamon, Lalamon, and the awful Sistermons. Oh, and Meicoomon, who I like but is just a variant of Tailmon. The rest are mostly big boobled sex objects like Mervamon or creepy lolis like Minervamon (great job getting both fetishes into one character, Bandai). I miss having beastial female Digimon. In particular, it's kind of weird considering the franchise's Dragon-fetish that we never got a Womandramon or Agumon-chan.

Some of the V-Pet sprites are actually better than the Bandai artworks:
No, I'm not talking of Gomamon who is a completely plain seal or Mamemon who is a pixel with face. Some of the sprites, like the aftermentioned Etemon, are charming, funny, or endearing, whereas the official artwork ends up being incredibly grotesque or over complicated. Take for example Bryweludramon, who actually looks like a Dragon on the V-Pets sprite; the official artwork is so over the top that it's very hard to make out the details of the creature. Nanimon's sprite is a homage to Ojayitchi from Tamagotchi, and I think putting arms to it and giving him so many details in the artwork kinda kills the whole purpose of original Nanimon.
Agree! I wish they would go back and retcon some of the original sprites into their own Digimon. They essentially DID do this with V-dramon, but I'd like to see more of it. Skeletal Andromon, Cutesy Etemon/KingEtemon/MetalEtemon, hydra Deltamon, bipedal Raremon, puppy Gizamon, boulder-with-arms Gotsumon, Umibozu Dagomon, cute Boltmon and Piemon should all be real things.

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

the Spanish equivalent term was also used by Chichos's, the Mexican girl's, Gotsumon in 02).
Okay, so it is not a real word. How is there then a Spanish equivalent of it?

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you've ever wondered why Japanese monster series use "Shinka" (Evolution) to describe what is clearly "Metamorphosis" (what with caterpillar monsters literally "evolving" into butterflies), the Japanese word for metamorphosis is "変態", which is pronounced "Hentai". Can't have a bunch of kids running around telling their monsters to "Hentai".

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, so it is not a real word. How is there then a Spanish equivalent of it?
The Spanish (Latin American?) dub referred to evolution as "Digievolución." Oddly, Gotsumon is the only foreign partner to use a different word, every other non-Japanese character saying "shinka" like normal.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would probably like X Evolutions a lot more if they weren't treated as strictly better versions of preexisting Digimon. A Temporary mode change like Burst Evolution or a trade off such as "this gets better but it doesn't become as good at that" would have been more cool to see but instead having it where every X evolution is by default just better than the normal Digimon in every way makes me want to keep the normal Digimon and X Evolutions in seperate worlds as to not see every design I'm used to be power creeped and made redundant