tri. Part 4: Loss Dub and Theater Discussion

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This thread is for the discussion of the dub and seeing Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 Loss in theaters.

There will be no spoiler tags needed for when it has aired in cinemas on February 1st.

Please do not post before it has actually aired and please don't post asking people to post.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
People on the East Coast may very well be sitting in their chairs at this point.

Theater's full? Empty?

I'd guess closer to empty than it was for Part 1 due to the fact that 2 and 3 were never in theaters.

Noctus Noir

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty true on that. My theatre had like two...maybe three rows total?

Chaotix12345

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just got back from mine. Total of four people at my screening including me and my Sister. (One even walked out.)

Was a fun time. We laughed at several parts and I loved that they localized HerculesKabuterimon's Giga Blaster as Mega Electro Shocker. (His voice was also almost completely different. It was less deep and more "heroic" sounding.) Other interesting points:

Melodee Spevack and Dave Mallow were clearly absent. Guessing they used actors they already had on hand rather than bringing in unique actors for like two lines. That'd explain why Angemon's voice was funny in Confession, too. Michael Sorich returns as Elecmon, though.

Gennai has also gone back to the "j" sound from the old dub, Data Squad's King Drasil is used like in Cyber Sleuth, and Hououmon is localized as Phoenixmon.

But yeah, really really fun. Looking forward to Coexistence in May.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So is the theatrical showing the first that the "Loss" dub's been available?

We laughed at several parts and I loved that they localized HerculesKabuterimon's Giga Blaster as Mega Electro Shocker.
Hmm... It's supposed to be "Giga Scissor Claw." smh

ARTS1984

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey guys, long time lurker and first time posting here. I have yet to get an avatar but I wanted to comment on my experience. I had to travel an hour and a half last time for the first Tri showing but it was awesome seeing Digimon the theater...this time was a more quiet affair. There were three other people in my theater but I didn't mind...I practically had the showing to myself this time and it was more local this time(like, five minutes from where I work lol). This episode was a lot more slower than the previous ones since the Digidestined practically have to rebuild their relationships with their partners. My heart sunk when Biyomon outright rejected Sora...Biyomon was always my favorite of the originals and to see them split like this for the majority of the movie broke my heart but seeing Biyomon gradually warm up to Sora again was great. I loved Patamon's "They're gonna take our ship!" line. I'm not sure I like the use of "King Drasil" like in Data Squad but it's not a big deal. I LOVE that they didn't really use the dub opening theme other than for the recap but it doesn't really compare to the original to be honest(it's OKAY but not that great to me lol). The only part where I felt it dragged was the drawn out evolution sequences near the end...it felt like padding. Phoenixmon was the only who should've digivolved in that scene and then beat Machinedramon. I enjoyed it and hope Part 5 ups the ante. Hope we get a Blu-Ray release date soon!

PCmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was really ambivalent toward Loss when I watched it in Japanese, but the dub breathed new life into it to the point where I actually enjoyed it more than part 1!

The theater was surprisingly just as full as when Reunion came out in 2016. Even had a dad and his son this time around. Sweet. The theater messed up the audio for the recap (they made a similar audio mistake for Reunion as well), but eh, wasn't too important.

The voice actors totally rocked it this go-round. A particular shout out to Colleen and Jeff for totally owning Sora and Gennai.

Was really sad that Melodee Spaveck didn't return, especially considering this was kind of her time to shine. I'm guessing Cheremi Leigh went ahead and did all her forms, but I've been waiting 20 years to hear Melodee shout out "PHOENIXMON!" in her awesome voice. So sad I'll never get to...

Great seeing Michael Sorich back as Elecmon, though his voice was more Neemon-ish than the gruff voice he used back in the day. Also nice to hear Josh Seth as Motimon again. Nimoy seemed to channel Derek Prince's Dynasmon voice for HerculesKabuterimon, which was odd, but somehow, it worked. And Hackmon's voice was AMAZING. Anyone pick up on who his actor was?

As for Dave Mallow, his name was in the credits, so I assume he's been playing Angemon this whole time in Tri. Why he's using a completely different voice, though, is beyond me. He's never been very consistent with the character anyway.

Last edited:

Chaotix12345

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for Dave Mallow, his name was in the credits, so I assume he's been playing Angemon this whole time in Tri. Why he's using a completely different voice, though, is beyond me. He's never been very consistent with the character anyway.
I think they've reused the same credits for every tri. movie without updating it with any actors, so they're probably inaccurate to any movie minus Reunion. Melodee Spevack's name was also there despite it obviously not being her and they credited the dub theme that hasn't been used since Determination.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So is the theatrical showing the first that the "Loss" dub's been available?

We laughed at several parts and I loved that they localized HerculesKabuterimon's Giga Blaster as Mega Electro Shocker.
Hmm... It's supposed to be "Giga Scissor Claw." smh
That doesn't make sense though, he doesn't use his claws. Wasn't Giga Scissor Claw an error from the original World when it was swapped with someone else by accident?

Also from the Digimon Wikia - it doesn't appear to be the first time it's been localised as "Mega Electro Shocker" (that is listed on his attacks but was before this movie came out) but I have no clue what that was from. It's Giga Blaster in Cyber Sleuth

Same wikia also lists Giga Scissor Claw as a different move entirely

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked the recap by Joshua Seth.

The dub music playing in background during the recap......not so much.

Edit: Wait. Was there anything after the movie?

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That doesn't make sense though, he doesn't use his claws. Wasn't Giga Scissor Claw an error from the original World when it was swapped with someone else by accident?

Also from the Digimon Wikia - it doesn't appear to be the first time it's been localised as "Mega Electro Shocker" (that is listed on his attacks but was before this movie came out) but I have no clue what that was from. It's Giga Blaster in Cyber Sleuth

Same wikia also lists Giga Scissor Claw as a different move entirely
Doesn't really have to make sense. SaberLeomon doesn't use his fangs in the dub's "Twin Fang" attack, etc. Anyway, HerakleKabuterimon's dub card gives his strongest attack as "Giga Scissor Claw," which would have been Giga Blaster on the original card if they hadn't reversed A, B, and C. Giga Blaster was also called "Giga Scissor Claw" in the Digital Card Arena localization. His secondary attack on the English card is "Mega Electro Shocker," originally Giant Scissors. So maybe they got the two switched around. I think it likely that they intended "Mega Electro Shocker" to be the dub name for High Mega Blaster, which would make sense because "Electro Shocker" was the dub name for the original Mega Blaster.

DigimonTrash

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Long story short: I loved it. I already had a deep appreciation for Loss, but the dub outdid itself. It made the plot holes palatable and translated itself to it's audience while still being true to the original work, the dialogue was on point, Colleen was a treasure, Matt's cutoff curse over "Little Matt" was amazing, and Kate Higgins should be Salamon always. Loss is now tied with Confession for me.

Vaioumon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hoo boy, they sure didn't even try to look back and see how the original dub voiced the Baby II digimon. (I haven't seen the part 2 and 3 dubs yet, so this was news to me.)

"Mister Matt" and "Little Matt" were great.

Holy lol @ Hackmon's super deep voice (and kudos to them for not saying "Huckmon" or "MachineDRAYmon")

Amazingly, the dub also didn't bring any attention to the lick, and my theater didn't seem to react to it at all, even though we had a good 30 people in attendance.

The dub did however make Gennai's dialogue with Meiko even more rape-y, or at least I thought so.

"DARK Gennai", and they also went back to using a soft G, even though the recap and iirc part 1 used a hard G.

They kept saying "level up" for some reason, even having Sora ask Piyomon to try leveling up instead of the meatballs speech (which is okay).

"Who wouldn't want all that power?" Power-hungry Patamon is best Patamon.

All in all, a great time.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hackmon's dub voice was pure gold, pure gold I say.

There was a good Dumb and Dumber reference put in at the perfect moment which I laughed a bit hard at.

I found it interesting the dub took the opposite approach to the mysterious man and just outright said it was a corrupted Gennai (with even TK musing that maybe it isn't him and that getting knocked down.)

I'm very curious to see if their budget got tweaked, as we saw some minimal work done visually. The text in the flashback at the beginning was in English, and appeared quite good.

Overall a very good dub.

The only real negative for me was I thought the in-training voices were a bit to scratchy and nasally for me. It helped that it wasn't super long though.

I'm curious to know if there 'was' an interview, as it didn't play at my screening. Maybe it was just those random asides with Joshua Seth during the overview of Parts 1 thru 3?

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Out of interest, was it 'Hooumon', or 'Phoenixmon'?

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen the dub cause I don't live in the states but can anyone confirm if Melodee Spevack and Dave Mallow voiced their ultimate and mega forms idk why but I think I read somewhere that they didn't come back... maybe it's just me... and who voiced Elecmon, Hackmon & Bakumon ?

Chaotix12345

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen the dub cause I don't live in the states but can anyone confirm if Melodee Spevack and Dave Mallow voiced their ultimate and mega forms idk why but I think I read somewhere that they didn't come back... maybe it's just me... and who voiced Elecmon, Hackmon & Bakumon ?
They did not. Not sure who played Hackmon and Tapirmon, but Elecmon has Michael Sorich reprising.