Top 10 Results from Favorite Digimon Poll

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The most recent 'major' survey of most popular Digimon was the Famitsu survey from 2015. It gave the results up to 30, but the top 10 were quite similar to the new one:
1- Omegamon
2- WarGreymon
3- Dukemon
4- Beelzebumon
5- Alphamon
6- Agumon
7- Terriermon
8- Mugendramon
9- Patamon
10- Magnamon
So if I'm looking at this right, the only major changes from the previous poll were Mugendramon and Magnamon losing their top10 placements to Paildramon and V-mon. I'm curious to know what happened with those Digimon in the 5 years since then. If anything, you'd think Mugendramon would still be pretty relevant, given how it's had quite a few notable appearances in that time span (-next 0rder-, Adventure Tri, Hacker's Memory, and the 20th anniversary V-pet, possibly others I'm not aware of).

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eh. That's OK. It makes sense. As much sense as most of this Pokemon listing I saw recently.

Wandering Tamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's some interesting polling stuff going on here. I wonder, based on the way media saturation and other polls tend to play with human recollection is that if Paildramon and V-Mon are in the poll because they were on everyone's mind due to Digimon Kizuna. I have no proof, obviously but I'd bet good money that's what happened.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That many people love Paildramon? What the actual hell? Thought I was alone.
I love how gnarly and mutant he looks, even if by today's standards it's apex fan-wank design.

It's one of those designs that just manages to balance the two together well. XV-Mon dons Stingmon's features but both still get their designs pumped with some 'next-stage' steroids, so XV-mon grows an extra set of (weird) wings, Stingmon's spikes grow out and sharpen more. Particularly love its bizarre head design too. It skirts very close to being neither XV-mon, nor Stingmon.
Still wish Paildramon (and really, the 02 Digimon in general) would get X-Antibody designs already.

Silphymon and Shakkoumon experimented in interesting ways with fusing designs too. Silphymon went with allocating Gatomon and Aquillamon to top and bottom respectively, and cleverly mixing strands of Gatomon's Angewomon stage in. Shakkoumon goes for cultural/religious hybrid, fusing Ankylomon's earth-y/ground aspects with Angemon's faith to make a pottery/masonry inspired design.

It's why I found Xros Wars entire namesake to be a wash, disappointingly. There wasn't any elegance in the designs, just lasso-tool swapping bits out in Photoshop and passing it onto the animators.
Yeah I was surprised too. The previous polls never had Paildramon but mostly Imperialdramon forms.

Paildramon's face is sure unique. It's hard to tell which if it's mouth-plate or part of its helmet or even actually flesh? Vmon's evolutions had tons of interesting face styles that varies from having its snout squishy wearing the helmets yet manages to look so different from each others.

Mon-Ohma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only real double-take on that list is Paildramon. But it's the closest to having an Insect on the list.

I guess it's no surprise why the reboot is so shameless about wanking Omegamon.

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Vmon's evolutions had tons of interesting face styles that varies from having its snout squishy wearing the helmets yet manages to look so different from each others.
Agreed about V-mon's evolutions having unique heads with the connecting feature being his head-tendrils. Actually wonder if that's why V-mon is popular, because of his evolutions, not unlike Eevee from Pokemon.
Paildramon's face is sure unique. It's hard to tell which if it's mouth-plate or part of its helmet or even actually flesh?
The weirdo that I am, I once drew Paildramon without armour (and unfortunately, for a time, that doodle ended up being one of the first results for Pailramon Google image search).
Because so much his base design is XV-mon but mutated in weird ways because of Stingmon — particularly his head. Guessing Watanbe tried to mix in some of Stingmon's humanoid head shape?

It was probably never considered in his design, but I actually liked to imagine it as flesh, since it fits in line with how mutant Pailramon is on top of it being characteristically creepy of insects (and in-line with the weird-creepy aesthetics of pre-anime Digimon). Even worse, I also like to think it can actually open up in a gross vertical mouth. :p

An aside: Been curious to draw some other Digimon without their armour or anatomically exposed since they make it intriguingly vague to what ratio of organic-mechanical they are. Looking at you, Imperialdramon Fighter Mode.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Paildramon's design is quite toyetic. It's literally just a Stingmon toy folded on top of an XV-mon toy. XV-mon's head splits open and becomes a pair of blue wings. Stingmon's leftover leg parts become the Desparado Blasters.

Despite that, Paildramon really blends the two Digimon in a very cohesive and "cool" manner. Instead of a dragon-insect chimera, it's more like a dragon-man wearing green militaristic armor and wielding dual guns. I'm not surprised by its popularity over Imperialdramon; while "dragons" is self-explanatory and applies to both, "military" has always been a popular theme (just look at all the militaristic FPS games). Imperialdramon ditches the militaristic semblance and adopts a more tokusatsu Mazinger-like aesthetic, which has a more niche popularity.

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Paildramon's design is quite toyetic. It's literally just a Stingmon toy folded on top of an XV-mon toy. XV-mon's head splits open and becomes a pair of blue wings. Stingmon's leftover leg parts become the Desparado Blasters.

Despite that, Paildramon really blends the two Digimon in a very cohesive and "cool" manner. Instead of a dragon-insect chimera, it's more like a dragon-man wearing green militaristic armor and wielding dual guns. I'm not surprised by its popularity over Imperialdramon; while "dragons" is self-explanatory and applies to both, "military" has always been a popular theme (just look at all the militaristic FPS games). Imperialdramon ditches the militaristic semblance and adopts a more tokusatsu Mazinger-like aesthetic, which has a more niche popularity.
Actually, yeah, wonder if that's where the Spaghetti Western inspiration for his evolution sequence came from. His helmet also has an ever slight Lone Ranger mask vibe to it.
Also forgot, do they design evolutions specifically around morphing the toys or do the toys just try and follow the artists work as best they can?

Because the quirks in WarGreymon's designs are incredibly close to Agumon. Paildramon's secondary blue wings being XV-mon's head was a mind-blower for me. (And as you say, Stingmon's legs being his guns, holy cow)

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rather than one before the other, they were probably designed alongside each other during development.

A lot of anime-debut Digimon are toyetic in design. As you've mentioned, WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon are literally made with the Digivolving toys in mind. Agumon's head becomes the Brave Shield, his claws become the Dramon Killers, and even his feet are retained as WarGreymon's oversized feet. MetalGarurumon's belly is self-explanatory. MetalGarurumon's shoulder-missile launchers are Gabumon's feet, and all of the yellow and blue-striped bits are part of Gabumon.

Practically the entire Frontier and Xros Wars eras are toyetic. Shoutmon X3/X4/Xetc. is self-explanatory. Susanoomon is literally just parts of KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon mixed together, with the leftover parts combining into Orochi.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always appreciated the gattai aspects of Paildramon's design (as with Silphymon too), and wish it'd been used a little more in 02.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad to see some of my favorite Megas in the list, plus Terriermon and Patamon. Just surprised no Gatomon or Renamon