Toei's Updated English Site and Showing Digimon at Licensing Expo

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Toei has updated their American site with various information on some of their franchises.

The URL and some other things specify it as a USA site, but the actual details on the site are for all of the Americas.

Their old American catalog site (with an entirely different url) vanished awhile ago, so this is really an entirely new website (it's been up for awhile, but just with a standby image.)

By and large it's a standard site that just lists information that might be of interest to potential business partners, but thought it was worth mentioning for some of the Digimon information listed.

There isn't really much to say about this as it's a rather standard catalog and press release/news site.

That would be it, but bless Toei and their ability to still not check their information...

They list 02 as being 47 episodes and airing in 2005. And a description that says a virus is threatning the digital world...

Tamers description says Henry is Rika's sidekick....

Frontier says children digivolve into "digamous"

And kudos to the funky and 'eh' English logos reversion the Japanese logos that Toei has on occasion used for 02, Tamers, and Frontier showing up again. I feel like the 02 one works, but Tamers and Frontier would work better if they didn't say Digimon twice, or randomly have 03 and 04 listed.

Savers has both titles listed, but only uses the name Masaru, even though all the other shows use dub names.

And Xros is just far to Engrishy (and using the title Fusion Battles for the dub title, which was never used in this area.) Not to mention this one also uses the Japanese names like Savers...

It lists X-Evolution along with all the films (more than a few with questionable titles.) It lists the Digimon Savers 3d ride short, but not the one for Adventure/02.

And of course, it lists Digimon Adventure tri. as a movie with 6 episodes in production (twice.)

Both the Adventure and Savers 3d ride shorts ARE listed under the general 3d movie catalog (while the rest of the franchise doesn't seem to appear on any.

No sign of Appmon yet in any form.

But....

Next week is the Licensing Expo in Las Vegas. Toei has listed that they plan to have Digimon on display there. It'll be curious to see what if any things we see (tri. and Appmon seem likely to be shown off.) This type of event is generally for companies to look at what they might want to license, or make products of in various countries, so there may actually be nothing relevant to us, but we will see.

Saban will be there but with nothing Digimon on display (which isn't surprising.)

I know it isn't really a site meant for fans, but I really hope Toei cleans up their American site... (Although to be fair, most of the other shows that have an actual franchise page have the same types of mistakes Digimon has... so eh...)

Thanks to our friend WTK for pointing out the new Toei site is live.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not quite Digimon related, but related to the site...

They've apparently decided to call Kinnikuman "MR. MUSCLEMAN", which has never been used for the title in English (I've been told it was used in Latin countries.)

They also refer to the later stuff by various different titles.

Also, they misspell Slam Dunk as 'SALM DUNK'

jamesC

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol @ Henry's being Rika's 'sidekick' :D

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wait... better high point.

Fist of the North Star is called...

KEN THE GREAT BEAR FIST

Yep...

My greatest hope is they put up episode titles for Digimon.

Thus far we only have nonsensical Toei titles for Adventure.

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hahahahahaha this was a good laugh, thank you

Trying to figure out what a digamous is asides from marrying more than one person in your lifetime. The wonders of auto-correct

As well, I like how they're interchanging the Japanese names and the English names. The first seasons look like they use the English names but the Savers dub has been out for ages and the bio still says "Masaru" as opposed to "Marcus". The same is true for Xros Wars. Good stuff Toei!!

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The awkward logos for Tamers and Frontier are the best.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hahahahahaha this was a good laugh, thank you

Trying to figure out what a digamous is asides from marrying more than one person in your lifetime. The wonders of auto-correct

As well, I like how they're interchanging the Japanese names and the English names. The first seasons look like they use the English names but the Savers dub has been out for ages and the bio still says "Masaru" as opposed to "Marcus". The same is true for Xros Wars. Good stuff Toei!!

It happens all over the catalog site.

For various shows you have, in English, various mixes of.... Japanese terms, English terms, English terms that were only used in English Asia dubs, Spanish, a few that I recall from some Korean dubs.... and some terms that appear to just be made up.

Like, Dragon Ball it lists the 'non Japanese' title for Dragon Ball Kai (Dragon Ball Z Kai.)
Digimon is a mishmash.
Pretty Cure sticks with the Japanese, so there is no mention of Glitter Force.

The description for the 'Next Generation' version of Kinnikuman has the description from a different, unrelated, show...

I just found the whole thing rather amusing and felt others would also (if it wasn't amusing and a bit sad the article would have been quite short to be honest, because there isn't really much relevant to us on the site.)

The awkward logos for Tamers and Frontier are the best.
Variants of them have been used before, but rarely in the USA (the primary use was they used the Tamers one, minus the 03 part, for the American DVD box.)

Awkward is definitely the perfect word though. They're these weird reverse engineered logos that don't work well in English... which, you COULD make ones that work, but these just look lazy and meh.

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The plot synopses for Zero Two, Tamers, and Frontier are magical.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And kudos to the funky and 'eh' English logos reversion the Japanese logos that Toei has on occasion used for 02, Tamers, and Frontier showing up again. I feel like the 02 one works, but Tamers and Frontier would work better if they didn't say Digimon twice, or randomly have 03 and 04 listed.
There also exists one for Adventure that was used in the earliest Fox Kids commercial for the show before it was replaced by the finalized dub logo in the airings of the commercial that were closer to the premiere date of the dub.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There also exists one for Adventure that was used in the earliest Fox Kids commercial for the show before it was replaced by the finalized dub logo in the airings of the commercial that were closer to the premiere date of the dub.
That's interesting... but has nothing to do with the topic.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those '03/04' logos look just like a mix of Japanese and Chinese logos...In Hong Kong and Taiwan, Tamers and Frontier were called 'Digimon 03' and 'Digimon 04' respectively...

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those '03/04' logos look just like a mix of Japanese and Chinese logos...In Hong Kong and Taiwan, Tamers and Frontier were called 'Digimon 03' and 'Digimon 04' respectively...

We know. They're still crap logos though, which is why they've so rarely been used outside of a handful of countries.

They're hideous and poorly designed. If they really need Englishblogos with the full names it'd be very easy to do better. Tokyopop did better with their quick modification for the 02 and Tamers manhua.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The plot synopses for Zero Two, Tamers, and Frontier are magical.
I think you mean they are digamous.
Maybe prodigamous? This potentially would make the evil digamous of Frontier Savers be condigamous.

The use of Cross Heart instead of Xros Heart is a bit annoying since I've seen a few fan-sites using that different spelling, but overall this is a good laugh.

EDIT: Oops… I must remember to double-check my references when it's late…

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The 02 logo on the site I admit I'm not sure where it's from. I believe it's new.

The manhua's original printing I believe didn't use anything that looked like that. (Adventure and 02 had nice clean printing in both English and Chinese as I recall.)

But yeah... that 'new' 02 logo could use some cleaning up, but it isn't bad.

I'll at least say it isn't as ugly as the English 02 logo Toei used in a few places a number of years ago (they still use it one or two places, and it misspells the title of the show...)

Here it is for anyone interested...

Image Thumbnail

Fantastic job Toei...

I have no clue if they made this logo specifically to use in those handful of places, or if it was pre-existing from another country. It does resemble a few English anime logos I've seen from a handful of countries, but I've never cared enough about that specific ugly logo to try and track it back to anywhere... so I'm blaming Toei for that one.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
DIGIMON TAMERS
EXPLOSION OF DIGIMON EXPRESS
Nice job, Toei xD
Also, they list tri. twice.
Some more gems. From Adventure's synopsis,
When seven boys and girls drift into the Digital World,
Talk about ambiguous language!
DIGIMON TAMERS
THE WAR OF THE ADVENTURES
DIGIMON SAVERS
ULTIMATE POWER! THE BURST MODE IN MOTION!!
Not sure what they mean by 'in motion'.
Also, 'Digamous' lol. Ok, I'm done for today xD

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think you mean they are digamous.
Maybe prodigamous? This potentially would make the evil digamous of Frontier Savers be condigamous.
Well I think we can all agree that the main characters would prefer to be seen as pro-digamous rather than anti-digamous.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wait, does this mean that X-Evo is gonna get a dub after all?

Anna___

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Greece (A.K.A The place with old, boring, historic