Toei Profile Artwork for new Kizuna Digimon

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Thanks to an article from Asahi we have clean, and decent resolution, versions of the Toei profile art for the new Digimon from Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna. Based on time in the future the article may be translated, but we will see.

We get nice looks at the profile art for both Agumon- Bonds of Courage and Gabumon- Bonds of Friendship.

In addition we get a look at a Digimon a number of people might have been able to avoid a look at thus far, so spoiler tag for those people:

If you want to discuss that guy, please head to either the movie discussion thread or the spoiler thread.

Nothing super huge since we've had most of these images to some degree or another, but nice to have them clean.

Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna, the 20th Anniversary film for Digimon Adventure, is out in Japan and comes out March 25th in the US.

Attachments

Unrealx206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really don't understand why people are so upset with these designs.

frankiemon827

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was bit disappointed when I saw them the first time, but I'm getting to like those designs more and more now. Digimon always needs fresh new design to make money too..

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Personally, I'm not upset, but I really dislike them. The agumon one looks like a naked version of Wargreymon and the one from the gabumon line doesn't even look like something related to Garurumon. They also look weaker. I know that many people were tired of Omegamon but if you are gonna solve the problem with different evolutions, at least make them something outstanding, specially if you are gonna introduce 2 new evolutions of the favourite digimon of many. I think we can all agree that the reception has been quite divided and that's not something that should happen in such a special event. Considering recent desings like Hexeblaumon and Ragnalordmon as well as some great X designs, I expected more imposing approaches. They look like side evolutions instead of the next step at best.

Last edited:

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meh not as bad as when I first seen them but they are still creepy.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How interesting, Agumon Bond's fist gauntlets in anime doesn't look like it's Meicrackmon's gauntlets.

When Gabumon Bond's profile mentioned about his mode, I just finally realized why he did have this "Kamen rider belt" that seemed it's too huge to be a belt that covers the whole abs. lol but isn't it really too hot to equip on the stomach?!

I agree with those Bonds may appear weaker than Omegamon but their cards' attack powers are way too huge compared to the new Omegamon card....

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pesonally, I'm not upset, but I really dislike them. The agumon one looks like a naked version of Wargreymon and the one from the gabumon line doesn't even look like something related to Garurumon. They also look weaker. I know that many people were tired of Omegamon but if you are gonna solve the problem with different evolutions, at least make them something outstanding, specially if you are gonna introduce 2 new evolutions of the favourite digimon of many. I think we can all agree that the reception has been quite divided and that's not something that should happen in such a special event. Considering recent desings like Hexeblaumon and Ragnalordmon as well as some great X designs, I expected more imposing approaches. They look like side evolutions instead of the next step at best.
I'm pretty sure that divisive opinions is what we should expect in these events. After all, people have different tastes and expectations.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope we eventually get the full reference sheets and stuff, but it’s nice getting these in high quality.

Honestly, I’m not a fan of how Agumon and Gabumon look here, especially Agumon. Given the context that this is a simplified version of the design meant to be a reference for animation and not, say, card art or the basis for figures though, I understand why they look the way they do. Since they look great in the movie itself from what I’ve seen, I’m not bothered by this at all.

To address earlier posts, these two look pretty strong to me. Agumon looks like he could run up and pummel Omegamon pretty easily and Gabumon looks like he could blast Omegamon out of the sky without even moving forward an inch. Call it powercreep if you want, but just in attack variety and range, the new forms completely outclass Omegamon.

Seeing the spoiler mon in HD is nice too lol.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm... I haven't actually shared my opinions on these designs before so here it goes:
1. I think that Agumon's muscle here and in most of its depictions across the various media is very off. It looks like someone went crazy drawing curvy lines until they covered a big enough part of its body. It looked much better designed in the actual scene from the film that we've seen.
2. I also miss the whitish grey/beige color that he had in that scene. I suppose it was meant to convey the lighting in the scene, but the very literal nod to original Greymon orange feels weirdly regressive/restrictive, whereas it seems they were not similarly restricted to using Garurumon's color scheme for Gabumon and they achieved a more interesting result with it in the end.
3. I also think that the interpretations of his design that have the bit between his legs look more like a piece of armor that is more pronounced and geometric make more sense than the smooth underpants kind of thing that we have going on here. It makes no sense that there's belts/wires over it if it's just a seamless part of its body. In general I think that other illustrations (for the game cards for example) that put an emphasis on the fact that its body is armor-like/covered in armor make for a more dynamic, solid design.
4. The way his body is built, there is a clear separation above the collarbones so that the neck and mouth could have a more conventionally human color. I am okay with the orange color unlike most people, but I'd like it to have a stronger association with the Agnimon line just like Gabumon has with the Wolfmon line.
5. I like the illustrations like this one that depict his hands as being big/strong enough to attack with. In others his hands look underdeveloped and they depict him as relying on the red ones for attacks instead. I wonder how he actually looks in the film while attacking... In general I do not like the idea that he grows the red claws Wolverine-style at all, since the result is too reminiscent of the way WarGreymon fights so I'd rather we don't have any of that in the film to be honest.
6. All fire, lightning, wind, energy effects should be officially removed from all digimon art ever. It always looks terrible and gets in the way of actually having a clear, detailed view of the creature and appreciating the design.
7. As for Gabumon, I like its illustrations where the arm cannons are shorter and bulkier (again, in the game card art), these long, slim ones look flimsy.
8. I also like it, how Gabumon here has a bigger chest plate, because in other illustrations the stomach bit seems bulkier and more pronounced and in general very off/unbalanced as a design detail.
9. In general I am really glad with these designs on the whole, and I absolutely love that we got these instead of yet another Omegamon variation.
10. I feel like they would only really make sense as biomerge evolutions though. Will reserve judgement until I've actually seen how they are presented in the movie of course, but in general they really do not look definitively stronger/more special in any particular manner to have them instead of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon.

Last edited:

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Agumon Bond is a bit to "naked" and the human like face under the mask doesn't help either.
I have less of a problem with Gabumon Bond he look cool and powerfull, though if you told me that this is Wolfmon with one of the spirits of darkness i would have believed that too.

Roy130390

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pesonally, I'm not upset, but I really dislike them. The agumon one looks like a naked version of Wargreymon and the one from the gabumon line doesn't even look like something related to Garurumon. They also look weaker. I know that many people were tired of Omegamon but if you are gonna solve the problem with different evolutions, at least make them something outstanding, specially if you are gonna introduce 2 new evolutions of the favourite digimon of many. I think we can all agree that the reception has been quite divided and that's not something that should happen in such a special event. Considering recent desings like Hexeblaumon and Ragnalordmon as well as some great X designs, I expected more imposing approaches. They look like side evolutions instead of the next step at best.
I'm pretty sure that divisive opinions is what we should expect in these events. After all, people have different tastes and expectations.

I have to disagree. Sure, people think have different opinions and like/dislike different things, but many digimon designs (taking Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon again as example again) have mostly a positive reception. I actually haven't seen such a mixed reception in a long time.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Spoliermon sure is something. Very cute. Then there's these two as well.

Vaioumon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Having seen the official art, the various card arts, and even a game model, I can solidly say it's just Toei doing the designs a disservice. Their attempt to make them look more "human", and particularly Agubond being drawn looking way too fleshy, made me dislike them tremendously. All the other arts I mentioned look awesome, however, and I've definitely come full circle into liking them.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, these two are hardly my favorite Digimon but I think they are pretty cool. Just not in the Toei style, which looks bad on them, especially Agumon -BoC-.

Flamon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Frontier PTSD. ;)
I think it's fine, given how Omegamon has been the focus for a number of years now.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah Toei's style really doesn't suit them, especially Agumon BoC which just looks weird in how strangely humanoid it makes him look.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow. Unbelievable. Gabumon Bond hardly get any talks. But not to Agumon Bond who gets ton and ton of topics about him being human that is so gross to Digimon. LOL!

Eh, at least Agumon Bond's artwork changed some people's mind to accept him somehow at least.

Vaioumon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Poor Gabubond just doesn't have much to talk about. He's still got weapons all over his body, and he's a bipedal wolf-armor guy. We've just seen it a lot before. Sure, the same could mostly be said about Agubond mostly being a WarGreymon repeat, but his design is at least uniquely Greymon-referencing, where as Gabubond just looks too much like Wolfmon. It's not that it isn't a good design, it's just that it's nothing new.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like Gabumon because he apparently turns into a motorcycle. When are we gonna get to see that???

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, Gabumon's design is pretty flaw-free and a pretty expected design, what is there to discuss about it until we've seen him in action to talk about its powers etc?