Thoughts on Experience

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Was curious what everyone thought of the experience system?

It's kind of neat and was worth a try, but I kind of think it may be a waste of resources.

What do you guys think?

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
its cool but what exactly is it used for?

Devkyu

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just seems to be taking up space, to be honest. It doesn't really have much of a purpose other than momentary amusement.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not even sure how exactly it works... and I don't post often enough to notice mine changing. So I pretty much ignore it...

If there's a leveling system, I don't think it's useful unless people Try to level it... What might be useful is the feedback score, if it helps show which posters respond with the most relevant information, or the most well-regarded information, but the 'Achievements' (like 'Veteran' and '5000 Experience Points') and the 'points and levels' system seems pointless too me.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Actually, what is the feedback score? I've been wondering about it. Like CyberDramon says, it could be useful.

CyberDramon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Actually, what is the feedback score? I've been wondering about it. Like CyberDramon says, it could be useful.
Clicked my 'Feedback Score' of 0 (the zero is a link), and it took me to a page with a tab. Other tabs on that page indicate 'Buyers' and 'Sellers,' so I guess that it's a 'Sales & Trading' feedback score, not feedback on general forum posts.

Still, that could be useful for the sales and trading section.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Clicked my 'Feedback Score' of 0 (the zero is a link), and it took me to a page with a tab. Other tabs on that page indicate 'Buyers' and 'Sellers,' so I guess that it's a 'Sales & Trading' feedback score, not feedback on general forum posts.

Still, that could be useful for the sales and trading section.
That has to do purely with sales and feedback and is disconnected from the actual 'experience' system. May try and figure out a way to turn off the display though in the sidebit, since outside of Sales and Trading it means nothing.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do think we could lose the exp system for what it does now (not a great deal). Sure it's a nice little thing, but we would need custom achievements for it to be worth it or the shop.

Orochistorm

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am entirely ambivalent toward it... if anything, I'd be content with less clutter around the avatar area anyway, so I'm fine with it being tossed.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I did wonder what the point of the experience system was in the first place. And it still boggles me every time I come to these boards. It's kinda just there.

If it was done away with, I wouldn't miss it. As others have already said, it clutters up the avatar space too much, not to mention if there's a short post like this one there's always this huge leftover space underneath, meaning we're having to scroll past a load of nothing to get to the next post.

Last edited:

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think, with the attitude of WtW members, the experience system is useless. We're not the kind of people who get hung over upping our post counts or (generally) bragging about seniority, and the experience system seems geared towards that group of people. Not to mention, yes, it looks like a mess and it's not customized to our board.

I guess for what it's worth we could have titles depending on our total posts, average daily posts, and registration date.

Devkyu

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am entirely ambivalent toward it... if anything, I'd be content with less clutter around the avatar area anyway, so I'm fine with it being tossed.
Yeah, same. There is so much more blank space in the post window after the text because all of the exp bars and levels and other random info makes posts so ridiculously tall.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Experience go down the hole.

Will revisit alternatives in the new year.

Sonic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Late to the party on this one, but my thoughts echo those of PY687. I've been on forums which have a "stat" type system which posting habits played a role in how they developed, though it would often result in people tailoring their posting habits to achieve the results they were interested in.

I've never been one to post for the sake of posting or "spam" threads with the intention of being the first to reach a certain post count, so it can be fun to see how much experience you might be getting, but if it doesn't really serve much of a purpose then it is quickly ignored once the novelty wears off. One potential use I could see would be as a visual indicator how how close people are to the next board title, but if it's not really necessary it won't be missed.