The Success of Appmon?

selimpride

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So first of I want to say that I love Appmon. It is up there in my top 3 favorites of Digimon. I want to see it get another sequel/movie or something.

However, while I was browsing tumblr, I came upon this tumblr account. The account belongs to a Japanese fan (who posts in English). She posted a few times about Appmon. The troubling posts were about how successful it was when it came to merchandise. I understand the reasons why the 3ds games was a flop, but there are other merchandise for Appmon that she mentions doing quite poorly, which might mean that Appmon did abysmal overall.

https://lunawings.tumblr.com/post/166385230233/so-up-until-now-i-have-only-seen-appmon-merch
https://lunawings.tumblr.com/post/167018739783/appmon-rant

However, I would like to be proven wrong, but it looks pretty troubling to me. Please let me know what you think or provide reasons why it might not appear exactly as it seems.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, no Appmon are in the recent games (not counting the 3DS game) and the series going on at the same time with Tri has Meicoomon and Meicrackmon in it so that's pretty telling already.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon did reasonably fine/well.

It was given a better timeslot partway thru it's run and the product lines went thru the end of the series.

The fact someone became a fan as it was basically over, when it's 'done' and being cleared out doesn't change that.

Appmon ended September 30th.

Despite not showing up until the last few episodes the last figure was Gaiamon, a signature character in the last few episodes, released in July.

In the 4th quarter of a year long show toys are slowing down, lower quantities are being made, and Bandai is doing a last shipment or two of old stuff they still have in the warehouse.

Toy sales are done at that point, time to clear them out before people have completely moved on. That's why there is old Kamen Rider stuff sitting next to the Appmon stuff in one of the person's photos.

I mean, no Appmon are in the recent games (not counting the 3DS game) and the series going on at the same time with Tri has Meicoomon and Meicrackmon in it so that's pretty telling already.
This has quite literally nothing to do with anything.

The entirety of 'recent games' released during Appmon's run (minus it's own game) was a single remastered game that was aimed at slightly older fans, with minimal new Digimon added (only 1 or 2 of which that didn't previously have modern character models available as I recall.)

selimpride

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon did reasonably fine/well.

It was given a better timeslot partway thru it's run and the product lines went thru the end of the series.

The fact someone became a fan as it was basically over, when it's 'done' and being cleared out doesn't change that.

Appmon ended September 30th.

Despite not showing up until the last few episodes the last figure was Gaiamon, a signature character in the last few episodes, released in July.

Toy sales are done at that point, time to clear them out before people have completely moved on.

This has quite literally nothing to do with anything.

The entirety of 'recent games' released during Appmon's run (minus it's own game) was a single remastered game that was aimed at slightly older fans, with minimal new Digimon added (only 1 or 2 of which that didn't previously have modern character models available as I recall.)
Ah I thought so. I remember one of my friends told me the exact same thing, but hearing it from you Marc only reassures me. Thanks for the input.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a friend who actually collects Sentai and Rider products for example, anything that comes out towards the end of a show is a pain in the ass to get because quantities are small.

It's also worth mentioning if you look at the photos that are posted of the Appmon stuff... it's all stuff back from wave 1. It's all stuff that was likely insanely overmade and Bandai likely shipped more of them out towards the end to have more products on shelf (I'm told the Kamen Rider item we see is from the first wave of an older show also, explaining why it's still around, it's overstock.)

The Appmon stuff in the photos is all 1st wave overstock being sold off.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The main problem Appmon has (I also love the show) is that it literally starts from scratch, maybe too much. That's why it doesn't feel as a "continuation" of Digimon, apart from the fact that it IS a Digimon series, but without any Digimon into it (expect for Agumon, but who cares). And that's not a good marketing campaign in such a swamped market as the animes of monsters. That makes you to appeal some new fans, but to lose a lot of potential Digimon fans who doesn't seem to like Appmon because it doesn't meet its expectations as a Digimon series. To give an example, Digimon Xros Wars, who by 2012 was the most innovative concept Digimon had ever had, surprisingly had good toy sales. Why was that? Mainly because core Digimon fans could identify with XW even if many of them didn't manage to get into the new mechanics. The Digimon Xros Loader, the best Digivice the franchise has ever had in my opinion, was very appealing for core Digimon fans, because maybe you wanted to have in your team WarGreymon, Examon, Agnimon...while at the same time you could get fond of the new designs as Cutemon, Monitamon or Sparrowmon. The same could be said about Super Xros Wars, which also had promising sales. This doesn't happen in the case of Appmon, and it's a total mistake that I hope Toei doesn't repeat in future Digimon series.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So where are the Appmon in Hacker's Memory?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That post has little to actually do with the topic at hand to be honest.

Appmon was explicitly, and on purpose, a 'start over' arm of the franchise.

Commenting how you wanted it to be something else (and giving your opinion on innovation in a prior series) doesn't have much relevance to what they wanted it to be.

So where are the Appmon in Hacker's Memory?
The same place all the characters who don't routinely appear in games are. Sitting in a corner waiting to be included.

You seem to think there is some obligation that because characters exist they must be used immediately, or at all.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too many words confuses people:

Appmon:

Anime: Success.
Chips: GREAT Success.
3DS Game: Massive Failure.
Electronic Toys: Mediocre.
Figures: Success.
Cards: Nobody Knows.

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Speaking as someone who adores both Appmon and Fusion here: While I consider Appmon the more interesting concept with better defined mechanics* Fusion has an advantage in that no matter how you feel about it handled certain things, it had Digimon from every generation including Hybrids which are a rarity outside of it and Frontier related media.

*Let's face it, it's been years since the franchise has openly embraced the "Digital Monster" aspect and DigiFusion is basically interchangeable with DNA Digivolution in the minds of most fans; not helped by many Digmon that had been DNA Digivolutions such as Omegamon, Chaosmon, Paildramon, and Millenniummon being classified as DigiFusions during the Fusion era.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Appmon:

It appears the normal card game did decently, while the DCD card game did well. Around halfway thru the series they moved from having two card games to just doing a bunch more DCD. Having two run concurrently while starting them at the same time was poor planning (necessitated by the fact that they only planned to have Appmon run for a single year.) Bandai has always pushed DCD hard due to how profitable it can be for them, and it's not shocking they lopped off the normal card game.

The electronic toys were mediocre, but they did appear to sell. DUOs sold pretty quickly and Bandai seemed ill prepared to restock them. Because of how much cheaper they likely were to produce from the normal Digivice style toy, I expect Bandai may have actually made more profit on these than they did with previous Digivice products (not including the specialized collector models.)

The 3DS game was never going to be anything but a failure. Bad release timing, bad price, etc. It's to bad, as everything suggested it was actually a good (or at least acceptable) game.

The figures are interesting in that I believe it's the first time the primary figure line actually went thru to the end of the series since Frontier (there was odd circumstances for Xros, but still.)

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, the normal card game got cut off at BT3 and will forever stay incomplete haha. I don't know about the financial side of things, but the poor performance of the normal card game can probably be at least partially attributed to the game design I feel..despite being based on the HC cards, APMCG has a lot of flaws that make it hard to have fun with (some that HC had and that APMCG shouldn't have adopted, but HC kinda overcame them over time due to the sheer number and variety of cards that came out while APMCG only has 3 sets).
Not to mention the Applidrive card alone basically ruins the whole game..

The card game was likely planned to include God Appmon eventually from the looks of the mechanics, but they didn't make it in and tbh with the way the game is played right now, it's not worth evolving all the way to God grade anyway. It would take too long to set up, too many cards, and be too easily removed from play; even right now Supers are preferred over Ultimates (though that's partly because Sakushimon/Raidramon's abilities control the entire game).

And the DCD cards have nicer art, but that's just me haha. I do hope that with the way HC is hanging on through memorial sets, Appmon somehow gets into HC eventually.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a feeling that in terms of the 3DS game Cyber Arena might have also been a factor for the lower sales of the main game. I mean it was supposed to be a kind of Demo but it had all the appmon minus about ten and the complete battle and fusion system, so since the main game wasn't that much more than the addition of the story mode... I could see how many players (or their parents considering the target audience) didn't feel like buying the full game since Cyber Arena already had most of the content.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Appmon:

Do we know how is the manga doing so far? The problem with this is that if it doesn't sell well, even if the show is successful enough, it won't have any sort of continuation (at least inmediately). I recall when Appmon was first announced, that its creators sort of admitted their main aim was to sell toys (and honestly, you can notice this motivation soo much when you are watching the show if you are clever enough, especially during the first half, and that's one of my main criticisms against Appmon by the way -even Logamon didn't appear because wasn't profitable enough marketing-wise-). That's also probably why we got Hunters on the other hand when Xros Wars come to an end, in order to fill the time slot till Saint Seiya Omega premièred in Japan.

Last edited:

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eh... Let's not pretend Xros War did better in that regard Xros War is as much of a sell out as Appmon, given their more blatant "card background" xros, toyetic digimon design and digiXros that is obviously mismatch of said toyetic digimon
Xros War: 24 minutes Mecha toy ad
Appmon: 24 minutes chip ad
At least Gaiamon figure wasn't cancelled like ZekeGreymon and OmegaShoutmon figure.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least Gaiamon figure wasn't cancelled like ZekeGreymon and OmegaShoutmon figure.
As far as I recall we only ever had people theorize on those, not any evidence they really existed.

The only 'really' solid info we have on Japanese figures being cancelled (or at least the ones I remember) while a show was running were the Super Evolution figures for ShineGreymon, MirageGaogamon, and Tyilinmon. They advertised them on toy packages, showed off finalized figures, and took orders for them. They occasionally show up in Bandai presentations about the history of the toyline, normally in the box from when they were later packaged and sold by Bandai's Asia division

The few times there have been claims that the Xros figures were real, via photos, I believe they were always tracked down to fan made figures sold on eBay or elsewhere.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So these toy were fan made? The more you know I guess, but you could admit it look pretty convincing.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So these toy is fan made? The more you know I guess, but you could admit it look pretty convincing.
Removed half of the image links I put up since you fixed yours.

Here are a few more images.
http://tokiteto.chu.jp/note/2013/digi/wf_tf/DSC_0957.jpg
http://tokiteto.chu.jp/note/2013/digi/wf_tf/0DSC_0757-(00000).jpg

Custom fan-made figures that use some official parts.
They look nice at first glance, but when you look closer there are issues.

Let's get back on topic.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On topic - Appmon merchandise is all sold out at the major toy outlets in Nagoya, except for the possibility of Toys R Us (It's kinda far from me, so I haven't had a chance to go there). The Appmon arcade games seem to have been removed too.

So... I guess Appmon was -exactly- as successful as predicted? All the merch sold. The anime did fine. And when the season was over, it was moved out to make way for new stuff. *shrug*

I guess that means we shouldn't hold our breath for a Season 2. At least we can be happy with what we got.

And I won't be surprised if Gatchmon's line shows up in whatever Digimon game comes after Hackers Memory.