The New With the Will- The Forum has been redone entirely! Information and More!

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Muur, Can you check other areas? Or is it just this area? Can you screenshot what you see?
I can check other parts of the forum if I click the "forums" button

I just don't seem to be able to edit my posts. I only have the quote and reply buttons on my own posts

also am I able to change "resistance is futile"? that seems new and i wouldn't have written that myself as my post title or whatever it is

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I just don't seem to be able to edit my posts. I only have the quote and reply buttons on my own posts

also am I able to change "resistance is futile"? that seems new and i wouldn't have written that myself as my post title or whatever it is
I mean is there an edit feature on your posts in another area. (It's possible it's in the set up to not be able to edit after a time limit)

Also nope the 'Resistance is Futile' is likely a group based upon posts. We've had that before at some point.

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always a bit weird whenever a forum changes style, especially having to fix avatars to match the circular space instead of the ol' rectangular one.

Regardless, I really like the new banner at the top. :love:

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I mean is there an edit feature on your posts in another area. (It's possible it's in the set up to not be able to edit after a time limit)

Also nope the 'Resistance is Futile' is likely a group based upon posts. We've had that before at some point.
Oh right. I had a look elsewhere, and no, none of my posts allow me to edit them. also note that even 5 seconds after a post it doesnt allow me to

Kai32

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
love the new look. also happy that it more mobile-friendly as well as I love to check the site time to time on my phone and tablet. but the older site was not as friendly.

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Muur, Can you check other areas? Or is it just this area? Can you screenshot what you see?
Neither here nor in the General Discussion the Edit button appear for me (unless it's hidden).

Rexanimon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice to see the forum take on a fresh look!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always a bit weird whenever a forum changes style, especially having to fix avatars to match the circular space instead of the ol' rectangular one.

Regardless, I really like the new banner at the top. :love:
We went with the circle ones to try something new. That's the type of thing that if people end up not liking, it'll be reasonably easy to go back. The new style seemed worth trying though.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So it finally happened. The big redesign that would have been much anticipated if it hadn't been secret.

I wasn't involved in the development, but I knew that it was coming for quite a while. During that time the thought sometimes made me nervous and multiple times I would have the most terrible nightmares about logging into WtW and it looking like complete garbage. I dreamed of terminal style forums you had to navigate via command line, about designs that looked like facebook decorated with lots of animated gifs.
Fortunately, none of these nightmares came true. The site looks great, I really have not much to complain about visually and I say that as someone who's generally not the biggest fan of the flat mobile-y style of modern web apps (I'm not that big on the round avatars, but maybe that's just me being edgy).
Overall things are surprisingly faithful to how they've been before but of course some things will take some reorientation.

But on the non-visual front I was kind of hoping for a bigger overhaul in terms of usability. some more advanced bbcode formatting tags in the editor, a more fully featured search engine, that kind of thing.
There are a bunch of "new" but many are what I would call "Syntactical Sugar"-like additions. They do not actually make the editing capabilities more powerful in the sense that you can now do thinks you really couldn't do before, they just make things could totally do before a bit easier (the new quoting functions would fall under that category I'd say). But that aside, here are a few additions that I think are worth pointing out:

My favourite way of keeping up with new posts, the Activity Stream, did for some reason not have a publicly available link in any menu in the old forum (I only stumbled upon it when dissecting the source code), but now it's actually showing up in the "what's new" section.

Getting live updates about new replies while typing your quick reply is really neat, although personally I still prefer the sense of focus of a full page editor reply (which still exists, you just have to append "/reply" to the thread url.)

The extended media embedding capabilities are nice, although the selection if sites seems a bit arbitrary, with which that I mean I forgot some of them even existed.

I also noticed that the bbcode for switching that I previously never got to work is actually working great now. And I do think that fonts can add a lot to writing, especially prose, so that's something I'd be wild about if I ever post a fanfic or something...
I have waited for this for a very long time.

With the new options for resizing inserted images, it is now trivial to get formatting done that on the old forum had to be hacked together using tables, such as percent based formatting, or capping image size on height instead of width (it makes the old thumbnail tags all but useless but I guess they are being kept for backward compatibility).

It also seems fitting that just as some of the newer Digimon stories are getting back into the side of Digimon tied more to technology the forum too is gaining more technological affinity. The new awesome [CODE] tag is going a long way to creating a more welcoming environment for programmers, hackers, computer scientists, AI researchers and general tech aficionados by supporting a wide range of Programming languages, so those among us who prefer to express their love for the Digimon franchise through various code snippets written in Objective-C, AppleScript and Bash will finally be able to join the conversation properly.
And for all the people who always dreamed of writing Digimon fanfiction in form of a huge Python program that actually compiles, but felt it wasn't worth posting here for a lack of proper syntax highlighting on vBulletin... now is the time.

I do bid a tearful farewell to the superscript and subscript BBcode tags if there are no plans to re-add them, and I guess in that case I'll have to edit some of my posts that featured them heavily.

So that's are my first impressions of the new forum, there are a few technical gripes, that I'll leave aside for now and there are still parts I might have just not quite figured out yet (What are "reactions" and how do you use/receive them? How do I get my 50 posts per page back? How do I get a normal list of someone's posts and not just threads they started?) but overall I'm looking forward to playing around with the new software.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But on the non-visual front I was kind of hoping for a bigger overhaul in terms of usability. some more advanced bbcode formatting tags in the editor, a more fully featured search engine, that kind of thing.
An advanced search engine is potentially on the table, but there was the matter of just getting the forum 'done' before I strangle lost, along with making sure the server as it exists handles the new forum. vBulletin, while we got it in 2013, was built for a web and internet quite a bit earlier, and there was, and still is, some question about how well things will run on the new software.

That is a place where Patreon members honestly help, because it adds cash into the pool of 'what is coming in each month, allowing me to throw money at a problem', since server costs are a problem that can't be solved outside of money.

My favourite way of keeping up with new posts, the Activity Stream, did for some reason not have a publicly available link in any menu in the old forum (I only stumbled upon it when dissecting the source code), but now it's actually showing up in the "what's new" section.
This one I'm pretty sure we added multiple times on the old forum, and it would vanish, and we gave up.

Getting live updates about new replies while typing your quick reply is really neat, although personally I still prefer the sense of focus of a full page editor reply (which still exists, you just have to append "/reply" to the thread url.)
I 'think' we had a button for this in testing and it simply didn't move over. Regardless, we'll see about adding one. (It is something Xenforo doesn't offer for whatever reason as a default, even though it exists.) (I'm also pretty sure we moved preview to above the type box... or I may be misremembering.)

The extended media embedding capabilities are nice, although the selection if sites seems a bit arbitrary, with which that I mean I forgot some of them even existed.
I believe it'll be easier to add new ones than on the old software, we launched with the default set. Even getting stuff like the 'updated' version of the Dailymotion player working on the old forum was a pain in the ass. (I believe even after it got working, one of the mobile themed refused to show it.) If there are obvious/useful ones missing that people want, they just need to let me know and we will see what we can do.

I also noticed that the bbcode for switching that I previously never got to work is actually working great now. And I do think that fonts can add a lot to writing, especially prose, so that's something I'd be wild about if I ever post a fanfic or something...
I have waited for this for a very long time.
The old editor had issues we never got past. There was a point a few years ago we looked into manually installing an updated one, but there were problems on that side that didn't seem worth it.

The new awesome [CODE] tag is going a long way to creating a more welcoming environment for programmers, hackers, computer scientists, AI researchers and general tech aficionados by supporting a wide range of Programming languages, so those among us who prefer to express their love for the Digimon franchise through various code snippets written in Objective-C, AppleScript and Bash will finally be able to join the conversation properly.
This is a case where no one had ever asked to be honest lol. The old one had a basic code 'box' I believe, but not inline. I was honestly unaware anyone wanted it.

I do bid a tearful farewell to the superscript and subscript BBcode tags if there are no plans to re-add them, and I guess in that case I'll have to edit some of my posts that featured them heavily.
This was just missed, and something we simply didn't look for. Various custom tags came over with no to minimal work on our part, so we just didn't see that those didn't. I would expect we will readd those shortly.

So that's are my first impressions of the new forum, there are a few technical gripes, that I'll leave aside for now and there are still parts I might have just not quite figured out yet (What are "reactions" and how do you use/receive them? How do I get my 50 posts per page back? How do I get a normal list of someone's posts and not just threads they started?) but overall I'm looking forward to playing around with the new software.
Reactions are the thumbs up thing... I think. I think we were going to turn that off, or disable them... or maybe we did and remnants are still showing up... (or maybe it couldn't be turned off, I don't recall at the moment.)

Custom post numbers per page... dunno for now. Will look into it.

Ditto on list of posts.

Part of it was going 'times up, site is going up 'this day' no matter what, out of time'.

An honest goal was getting us on a more modern platform that if people 'had' suggestions that made sense, it was 'more possible' to discuss and see if they might be implemented.

SparkGold

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this new layout looks amazing. I'm glad to see this site grow and improve! I made it my home page a while back because of how fast and amazing it is for Digimon news

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very cool new threads! It'll take some getting used to, but most of the changes seem like for the better at this point.

kintang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the new design of the site. Personally I expected that only the banner will be updated, instead it is the banner that get less changed, lol. Anyway, I really love the frontpage now. It is easier to check Digimon's news right now compared to the last version.

Thank you for all of the hard work and here's hoping to the continued growth of the community.

Nemomon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't see attachments. For example there:

The thumbnails do show up, but upon clicking them I get: "Oops! We ran into some problems. You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't see attachments.

The thumbnails do show up, but upon clicking them I get: "Oops! We ran into some problems. You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."
That is a side effect of the portal. It is intended. We are seeing about making that invisible.

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digging the new look! The new reply box is pretty neat too. :)

celestial_sacred

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
LOVE. IT. Great job guys! The site's new but is familiar enough that I'm not bothered by it at all. Way to go with the smooth transition.

Chaotic Fear

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome job on the new look. Really fitting and professional. Logo is clever. Congrats.

I do have a couple comments though. On my widescreen monitor, full-width blocks of text are a little hard to read. A little more line height might help, just on wide screens. And I'm mildly annoyed by the sticky nav bar using up vertical space, but maybe that's just me feeling claustrophobic.

Nevermind my avatar, it had a weird ratio before.

Edit: Oh yeah, the banner could link to /forums/ instead of the portal. Decreases resistance to participate. I think this might have been discussed before though...

Last edited: