The Moncast Podcast Episode 2.03 - You Can't Teach A Bug Communism

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A podcast that covers Digimon AND Pokemon, cause that's the best idea ever right. Seriously, that's what we do. We're covering both anime (and potentially other content from the franchises) and comparing each episode as we go along.

You can subscribe to us on Soundcloud, iTunes or Stitcher, or subscribe using our RSS feed. And if you really want to help us out, leave an iTunes or Stitcher review cause we love getting feedback and it helps us gain more listeners. We also have social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and tumblr which we recommend following if you want to keep up-to-date or get in touch. Our eMail address is themoncastpodcast@gmail.com if you want to contact us that way. Or, just keep an eye on this thread and you'll know when we've shared a new episode! We'll definitely be keeping an eye on it to see what feedback we get as well.

Hosts: stephen_patamon, Kovokashi

Latest Episode: Episode 2.03 - You Can't Teach A Bug Communism

26 Apr 2016: Episode 1.01 - Stock Footage, I Choose You

03 May 2016: Episode 1.02 - Gomamon's Derp Face
10 May 2016: Episode 1.03 - Ctrl+Z Fixes Everything!
17 May 2016: Episode 1.04 - It's Not A Mirage! It's A Real Episode!
24 May 2016: Episode 1.05 - Who is the Real Monster?
29 May 2016: Episode 1.06 - It's All About the Numemon
31 May 2016: Episode 1.07 - It Isn't Even a Harpoon, Or a Torpedo!

04 Jun 2016: Episode 1.08 - Who's Worse, Ash or AJ?
07 Jun 2016: Episode 1.09 - Sub Zero Ice Pun!
12 Jun 2016: Episode 1.10 - Yet Another Vacuum
15 Jun 2016: Episode 1.11 - Charmundurr
18 Jun 2016: Episode 1.12 - The Power of Friendship
21 Jun 2016: Episode 1.13 - The Only Step Is Crab
24 Jun 2016: Episode 1.14 - Plot Convenience Store
28 Jun 2016: Episode 1.15 - Podcaster May Would Like To Battle

05 Jul 2016: Episode 1.16 - Mad on Magikarp
13 Jul 2016: Special 1 - Gotta Catch Up 'Em All
23 Jul 2016: Episode 1.17 - Face Meat
30 Jul 2016: Episode 1.18 - Look At This Filth

01 Aug 2016: Special 2 - Odaiba Day 2016
02 Aug 2016: Outtakes - Episodes 1.1 - 1.10
06 Aug 2016: Episode 1.19 - Cruuuel!
15 Aug 2016: Episode 1.20 - James and Brock Oogle a Rock
16 Aug 2016: Outtakes - Episodes 1.11 - 1.20
20 Aug 2016: Episode 1.21 - Bye Bye Bitterfree
27 Aug 2016: Episode 1.22 - Always Trust A Dinosaur
30 Aug 2016: Episode 1.23 - You Gotta Wait for the Hate

03 Sep 2016: Episode 1.24 - Pokemon Trauma Stress Order
06 Sep 2016: Episode 1.25 - Creepy Cactus
10 Sep 2016: Episode 1.26 - Sora's Crest of Love Interest
13 Sep 2016: Episode 1.27 - We Have To Fill A Half Hour
17 Sep 2016: Episode 1.28 - Shiny Happy Chansey
20 Sep 2016: Episode 1.29 - One Punch Mon
24 Sep 2016: Episode 1.30 - Deus Ex Magnemite
25 Sep 2016: Outtakes - Episodes 1.21 - 1.30
27 Sep 2016: Episode 1.31 - Just Add Diglett

01 Oct 2016: Episode 1.32 - Cakemon Comes Calling
04 Oct 2016: Episode 1.33 - We Feel Sad Now
08 Oct 2016: Episode 1.34 - Die In A Fire
11 Oct 2016: Episode 1.35 - Unicycles Are Cool
15 Oct 2016: Episode 1.36 - 63 EdosipE
22 Oct 2016: Episode 1.37 - We Didn't Edit This One
26 Oct 2016: Episode 1.38 - Stumbling Across The Plot
29 Oct 2016: Episode 1.39 - Kinda Halloween Special

03 Nov 2016: Episode 1.40 - Sam Likes Ketchup!
05 Nov 2016: Outtakes - Episodes 1.31 - 1.40
12 Nov 2016: Episode 1.41 - Eggshells and Clamshells
19 Nov 2016: Episode 1.42 - No, I Dead
29 Nov 2016: Episode 1.43 - In Memory Of Chris The Hitmonlee

06 Dec 2016: Episode 1.44 - Literal Plot Holes
11 Dec 2016: Episode 1.45 - Ash M.D
21 Dec 2016: Episode 1.46 - What Would Matt Call This Episode?

15 Jan 2017: Episode 1.47 - Puppetmon's Moving Castle
29 Jan 2017: Episode 1.48 - Egg

12 Feb 2017: Episode 1.49 - Bulba Bulba Bulba Bulba Bulba
23 Feb 2017: Episode 1.50 - Overflowing Filler
25 Feb 2017: Outtakes - Episodes 1.41 - 1.50

03 Mar 2017: Episode 1.51 - Jomamon And Mabumon
13 Mar 2017: Episode 1.52 - Piedmon's Ultimate Test
19 Mar 2017: Episode 1.53 - Minimalism and Stock Footage
31 Mar 2017: Episode 1.54 - Fish Can't March

01 Apr 2017: Episode 1.55 - Yet Still More Filler
08 Apr 2017: Special 3 - The Indigo Adventure Ends
15 Apr 2017: Special 4 - Onward To Johto
22 Apr 2017: Movie 1 - Attack Of The Clones That Are Not Clones
26 Apr 2017: Special 5 - Happy Birthday To Us

04 Jun 2017: Movie 1.5 - Mewtwo Won't Leave Us Alone
07 Jun 2017: Outtakes - Episode 1.51 - End Of Season 1
11 Jun 2017: Episode 2.01 - Cody Was Here
18 Jun 2017: Episode 2.02 - Mac And Cheese Is Better Than This

15 Jul 2017: Episode 2.03 - You Can't Teach A Bug Communism

Last edited:

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 1 - Stock Footage, I Choose You!
Episodes Covered: Pokemon I Choose You, And So It Begins
Released on: 26 Apr 2016
Description: Episode 1 of The Moncast. A bit rough and a bit random, but full of heart and stock footage!

Episode 2 - Gomamon's Derp Face
Episodes Covered: The Birth of Greymon, Pokemon Emergency
Released on: 03 May 2016
Description: In this episode, the best Digimon ever appears, Stevie makes a bad joke and everyone loses it over a certain screenshot!

Episode 3 - Ctrl+Z Fixes Everything!

Episodes Covered: Ash Catches a Pokemon, Garurumon
Released on: 10 May 2016
Description: This week, Sam is sleepy and Stevie loses it over Caterpie! All the while struggling to find good things to say about Digimon!

Episode 4 - It's Not A Mirage! It's A Real Episode!
Episodes Covered: Biyomon Gets Firepower, Challenge of the Samurai
Released on: 17 May 2016
Description: This week, it's boiling hot in the UK so Sam is a bit delerious and Stevie mentions Butterfree a concerning number of times!

Episode 5 - Who is the Real Monster?

Episodes Covered: Showdown in Pewter City, Kabuterimon's Electro Shocker
Released on: 24 May 2016
Description: A few changes and a few announcements followed by a good old fashioned episode!

Last edited:

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 6 - It's All About the Numemon!
Episodes Covered: Clefairy and the Moon Stone, Togemon in Toy Town
Released on: 29 May 2016
Description: A slightly late release as Sam's laptop died the night before so he had to do some re-editing and re-recording! (Can you guess which bit was re-recorded?!)

Last edited:

fexmeif

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey! So, first off: I won't give feedback every episode because listening in at least one-hour chunks fits my schedule more xD

Secondly: I'm actually Alexandre Duarte that gave you feedback on soundcloud so Hi again! :p

So, my biggest point today is that I think the podcast could improve if you both looked at the episodes more broadly, especially when comparing it. You seem to focus on the plot and main visuals, but I think it'd be interesting if you compared things like: pacing, act 1-2-3 structure, conciseness, balance between supporting and main characters, wether the soundtrack helps or hinder each episode, etc. You wouldn't have to discuss all that every time, but when they seem more relevant.

I already said this before, but it almost pains me to listen to discussions of the American dub of digimon, when there are so many better ones. Especially when talking about Sora or Mimi, whose characters get obliterated in the dub. I have no idea if it's also this bad with pokemon, but I assume it's not quite since pokemon was already pretty light-hearted, so they didn't have to change much dialogue or fit in jokes.

That said, it's pretty fun to hear you both talk, you sure have chemistry! And the segment about both franchise's origins was very interesting! You are getting better each episode, keep it up! :)

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh hi again! Didn't know you were one and the same :p

Don't worry if you can't give feedback every episode. After all, we're only discussing feedback every other episode so it actually fits in perfectly if you only message when you've caught up with the latest two.

We'll definitely consider exploring in more depth during Mono e Mono, since we're both well aware we aren't really comparing as well as we could do. We're only really mentioning similarities and not much else, so we'll try and work out a good way of making more comparisons in future episodes. Thanks for the list of suggested things to mention; that'll come in handy no doubt.

We decided it would be best to watch the dub since A) we're both English so it's our first language, and easiest for us to watch, B) it's probably most of our listeners first or second language and C) there's already Lost in Translationmon covering the sub of Digimon and there's probably not that many Digimon fans desperate for more sub coverage anyway. Admittedly, the sub of Digimon is almost certainly better from what I've heard, but I'd rather stick to what I know and am comfortable discussing. Doesn't apply as much for Pokemon which is almost all new to me, but you get the gist (I hope).

Thanks for the compliments, and Sam will be happy to hear you liked this segment. We will strive to continue improving and providing fun content for you, and we'll of course talk about all this in the next Admonistration segment. Thanks again for the awesome feedback. :)

Episode 8 - Who's Worse, Ash or AJ?
Episodes Covered: Evil Shows his Face, The Path to the Pokemon League
Released on: 04 Jun 2016
Description: Our longest (and angriest) episode yet! Things get heated during one particular segment, but nobody's defending anyone!

Episode 9 - Sub Zero Ice Pun!
Episodes Covered: The School of Hard Knocks, Subzero Ice Punch
Released on: 07 Jun 2016
Description: Sam is upset because his favourite Pokemon is in a bad episode and Stevie thinks that this episode of Digimon tells the same story twice!

Episode 10 - Yet Another Vacuum
Episodes Covered: A Clue from the Digi-Past, Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village
Released on: 12 Jun 2016
Description: Another slightly delayed episode (We're both very busy, trust me!). This time, we discuss trading card games and vacuums and Sam comes up with an impromptu fanfic about the episode of Digimon!

Last edited:

fexmeif

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey again!
Not sure if you'll get this in time for your tuesday episode, but here comes:

It's been fun to listen to the last few episodes, you both did deliver on comparing the episodes more! It's pretty fun to listen to, and if you keep working on it, it'd be great!

I totally understand why you guys chose the english dub and I think it was the best decision, but it's still painful, especially since the one I grew up with is so different. I always had the impression that Pokémon was 90% filler, but as you guys talk about it, I'm noticing it's not that bad and I just might watch it, or at least the plot-related ones. Maybe.

Also, I'm trying to keep score of... Sam's rating? I'm sorry, your voices kinda blend together in my distracted non-native mind. But so far I got: awful< meh < okay I guess < okay < pretty good < good. Is that about right?

Finally, being Brazilian means I have some.. interesting perspectives. Like how basically nobody had played any pokemon games before the anime here. But today I want to talk about the Brazilian openings of digimon adventure and pokemon, for different reasons. Maybe consider this as my own "I teach you, you digi me" (not sure if you guys made that pun with the name, but you should have :p). The digimon opening is pretty similar to the english dub one, with the exception of... green screen Angelica in the middle of it. It's pretty jarring , but it kinda made sense at the time.. I guess.

In the meantime, the pokemon opening has the same tune as the english dub one, but changed the lyrics significantly. In fact, it altered the meaning enough to cause a dissonance between what they say in the opening and what happens in the anime, and it's one of the reasons I had a bad taste for the pokemon anime: they never actually did what they said they'd be about! In portuguese, they say, roughly translated: "This is my way of living / Who hasn't been like this before? / My life is to help / Good win over Evil" , then the rest is about the same. For me, these are actually really fun lyrics that reflect how you feel when you are a kid, pretending to be a hero, your whole life is about "Good versus Evil" and adults shouldn't really jugde you for that, because they had been like that once before! But then, in the anime, Ash rarely fights against Evil or even cares about it much, as Team Rocket are too much of a comic relief to be really considered an Evil force.

Whelp, this got pretty long, and I understand if you never mention anything about those openings in the podcast, but I had to write it so it'd get out of my mind!

PS: I don't know which one of you chooses the outro songs, but I really like them! Legend Xros Wars made me gasp out loud! And the opening is pretty cool too, is it from pokemon origins intro?

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We've already recorded episode 11 for Tuesday, but we cover everything eventually, just feedback is usually about a couple episodes ago cause of our schedule. It works out in some way I guess.

Glad to hear you're enjoying listening. Really makes us both happy :) 90% may be slightly high, it's probably more like 50% filler in Pokemon haha. At least the filler isn't that bad the majority of the time. In fact I quite like it usually.

Sounds like my very loose rating system that you're describing. They're not really proper ratings, more just a quick way of conveying how I felt about an episode. I'm surprised we've not seen a "great" episode yet though. Both shows have been kinda mediocre. Floating around "meh" I guess.

That Brazilian Digimon opening is certainly something. Something a bit unsettling but funny about it. I don't know about the Pokemon opening but I can see why the lyrics not meshing well with the content could be annoying. Love the English opening song though. Sums up Ash's goals perfectly and is super fun to sing along to (horribly I might add). It's drenched in nostalgia but I can't do much about that.

Don't worry about the length of your feedback. Right now we're not drowning in feedback like LiT is so we can handle more before we have to start picking and choosing which bits to mention on the show.

Thanks as always for messaging us. We'll talk about most of it when we next record Admonistration.

PS: Sam likes that you like his choices of music. He handles all that side of things :)

Episode 11 - Charmudurr
Episodes Covered: Charmander the Stray Pokemon, The Dancing Digimon
Released on: 15 Jun 2016
Description: This time, Ash gets a pokemon because why not? Also Joe becomes the leader because why not?

Last edited:

penguinmage

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello! I'm going to be the black sheep in the listener pool and say that AJ wasn't that bad of a trainer-- at least from my point of view. I was going to comment on the AJ episode but didn't. However the comment that Damien is better than AJ spurred me on xD

And he for SURE isn't worse than Damien. Damien is garbage. But I'll get to that in a second.

AJ is indeed a brat. That much I'll adhere to. He isn't however any worse than Ash. Because I assume he's 10-12. And kids that age are terrible little butts any way you look at it. Because they're children. They're going to talk big and in general be crappy.

However AJs methods aren't terrible. He is training them. Instead of putting his Pokemon up against others, he's using his own methods, concentrating on their weaknesses. Which-- when you're training, it's usually to get rid of said weaknesses, yeah? Sandshrew was in that pool for a very short amount of time, and yes it probably hurt a bit. But it's not going to hurt as much as say a hydro pump from a poliwhirl. He's building up endurance to his weakness. And this isn't the only time we will see this in the Pokemon series-- but I think that may go past what this podcast will cover. I remember it being a very late episode where it shows another ground/rock type training in a similar method. Also the whip is irrelevant against Sandshrew, a GROUND type. That probably fazes it a bit, but not enough in my eyes to warrant as straight up beating his Pokemon. These are creatures that get blasts of fire thrown at them on the daily. A whip is nothing. It's not meant as a punishment but as a controlling factor.

AJ genuinely cares for each of his Pokemon, working to strengthen them instead of giving up on them because they have a weakness to water or in the case of the Butterfree shown-- aren't meant to be physical attackers. He takes the time to create special food for each and every one of them. He's crushed when his partner is taken from him.

Damien on the other hand had zero care for trying to help Charmandurr get any better and only wanted it once it proved it could be strong enough on its own. He's a piece of crap. AJ is way better.

Anyway. Left a review on iTunes but great podcast guys, look forward to the next episode :D

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi Penguinmage,
Thanks so much for your thoughts. You've contributed strongly towards convincing Sam to change his mind about AJ, so I won the argument in the end (hooray)!
Sam'll talk about your feedback in episode 15 admonistration since we've already recorded episode 13. Our recording schedule has been a bit out of whack since there'll be 3 weeks where we can't record due to holidays. I have read your message and your iTunes review though, so thank you a lot for going to so much effort. It makes me happier :) Hopefully you'll continue to enjoy what we're doing, cause we're enjoying making it a lot!

Episode 12 - The Power of Friendship
Episodes Covered: Here Comes the Squirtle Squad, Digibaby Boom
Released on: 18 Jun 2016
Description: Patamon! Squirtle! Apps! Exclamation points!! This episode has it all!!!!!!

Last edited:

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 13 - The Only Step Is Crab
Episodes Covered: The Legend of the Digi-Destined, Mystery at the Lighthouse
Released on: 21 Jun 2016
Description: We have our longest Admonistration yet, end the first arc of Adventure and try to work out what that mystery pokemon could possibly be.

fexmeif

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, I may add to this later, but I wanted to make sure I didn't forget to say at least this before you guys record your next episode: I finally gave it a chance and watched the 14th episode of pokémon, first one I have seen in years. I watched it with subs because (I'm a weeabo trash) it's actually easier for me than the dubbed versions. That was WEIRD. Maybe it's just the original version, but everyone seem to act so seriously in the midst of absurd plot. Nurse Joy just giving the thunderstone to Ash for no reason whatsoever (aren't those things kinda expensive?), the pokemon hospital beds (aren't they treated inside a pokeball normally? ), the "grounding" that pikachu did with his tail (somehow , diminishing his contact with the ground increases his resistance to eletricity... what???) , and team rocket's really flawed logic just made everything ridiculous.

I guess it was fun, but more becuase I was laughing AT the episode, rather than with it. Also, in the original the gym leader talked in Engrish for some reason, that just added to the weirdness of the whole experience.

Oh and one thing I meant to say back in the AJ episode: when I was young, although I never had any of the handheld pokemon games, my brother and I had the tabletop game (it's actually pretty fun, I played it again on tabletop simulator a few months ago). The thing is, they didn't translate/adapt pokemon names to portuguese from english, and for portuguese-speaking kids, "Sandshrew" is basically an unreadable word salad. So, instead, we called that pokemon "fofinho", which translates to "the cutie" :3

Last edited:

penguinmage

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, in the original the gym leader talked in Engrish for some reason, that just added to the weirdness of the whole experience.
So I can't remember where I saw or read it but I think the gym leader is from America or said to be American. So that may be why. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I'd have to go dig for sources xD he took place in a war ? And that's why he's a lieutenant. I think.

Pkmn history ftw.

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Afraid to say we've already recorded a backlog up to 16 cause of holiday plans, but Sam will be doing admonistration for 15 with all the feedback before then so it will be mentioned. We both really enjoyed 14 actually, but we did mention a few of the things you noticed too. And I usually enjoy Pokemon in a "so bad it's good way" unless Ash is unbearable.

By tabletop game I assume you mean the TCG which I've played with real cards and online. Fun either way. If not I'd be interested to know more about it. And Sandshrew is definitely the cutie.

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lieutenant Surge is referred to as "The Lightning American" in the games so that's probably why. The war in X and Y takes place 3000 years before the events of the story. I'm not 100% sure on where XY is on the timeline in relation to Red and Blue but I believe someone official said X and Y take place at the same time as Black 2 and White 2.

Anyways I'm really loving the Moncast so far. I agree with the score up to this point as well. There were a few episodes where I thought the point should've gone to digimon instead but I'm pretty sure that was only nostalgia talking. I like how you two are able to keep nostalgia out of determining who gets the point. Great work guys

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly have no idea about how the Pokemon time line stacks up or if there even is one that makes sense.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it and think we're being fair when we compare the episodes. We're trying our best to not let nostalgia blindness decide the points :) Thank you for listening :D

Episode 14 - Plot Convenience Store
Episodes Covered: Electric Shock Showdown, Departure for a New Continent
Released on: 24 Jun 2016
Description: In this shocking episode of the Moncast, Ash takes on Lt. Surge to earn his third (first) gym badge and the digi-kids set sail for Server.

Episode 15 - Podcaster May Would Like To Battle!
Episodes Covered: The Dark Network of Etemon, Battle Aboard the St. Anne
Released on: 28 Jun 2016
Description: This week, Sam and Stevie are joined by a special guest. May from Lost in Translationmon joins the battle! Recorded in the Past/Present/Future, get ready for our most special episode yet!

fexmeif

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stephen, I did NOT mean the pokemon TCG! It's THIS pokemon board game: link . It's really fun and kinda hard, actually xD For the record though I have indeed played pokemon TCG, and I may download the software to play online again sometime, but I just have other TCGs in my life that are more interesting. To be honest I'm usually super into a new TCG when it just comes out, as years of power creep often turn me off.

It was interesting to have May be around you ywo this time, and even funnier with the whole cutting to the future and to the past thing xD

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First time listener here. Just started out with Episode 1, and so far I like what I'm hearing! Naturally I'm a bit late with this feedback but I wanted to address some of the comments you made.

The first episode comparison between these two is definitely interesting as the way the worlds are introduced is very different. Although I'm a bigger fan of Digimon, I agree that Pokemon had the stronger introduction in terms of easing the viewer into the world of Pokemon. But I wouldn't agree that episode 1 of Digimon was bad by any means. While Pokemon does touch on its mechanics as it's loosely adapting the games, Digimon on the other hand didn't have much in the way of pre-existing material at the time, so the world building was entirely up to the writers. It does take out a lot of time in introducing the main cast, but I think that's to be expected when you have a comparatively large cast of fourteen main characters who are going to be with us for a whole season. It also doesn't exactly do much in the way of telling us how the Digital World works, but this is something we learn more about over time, in fact it's not until around episode 20 (I think?) that the kids learn that they are actually in a digital world, as opposed to a place that happens to be named as such. Either way, it gets the lengthy introductions out of the way, and what little it establishes of the Digital World is enough to know that it's both a weird and dangerous place for the kids to be in XD

EDIT: Also regarding the gender pronouns for Pokemon, I can see your viewpoint with "it" coming across as degrading to Pokemon as opposed to "he" or "she", but I'd say it's somewhat justified in terms of adapting Red and Blue in which Pokemon had no genders to begin with. It wasn't until Gen 2 when genders were introduced as a mechanic in the games, but I don't remember if "he" and "she" were used for Pokemon in the anime after Gold and Silver came out.

Last edited:

stephen_patamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome to hear we've got a new listener! Hopefully you enjoy catching up. A 15 episode backlog isn't that much really considering most episodes are under 40 mins, and I hope you decide to keep listening cause that'd be cool. We love getting feedback so we know where to improve and what to keep doing right.

Regarding our first episode, I think we were both pretty harsh on Digimon cause we've both seen it a few times in our lives, and it was also the second time we recorded our first episode cause we were still settling on a format, so we weren't as enthusiastic as we usually try to be. There's a lot of the first episode I like, mostly due to nostalgia admittedly, but I think we were both just a bit tired of it at that point. The multiple introductions, although justified, weren't exactly captivating for us already long time fans of these characters.