The "Lost" Digimon

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Speaking of Wikimon, they have an entry for "Ohakadamon" (おはかだモン). We can all assume this is just the early V-pets playing on the term "ohaka da mon" (お墓だもん) or "it is a tomb" and not an actual Digimon, right? Where did the spelling of that "name" come from, anyway? The Digital Monster instruction manual? The Digital Monster V-pet itself?
The name is indeed spelled like that and the source is this: http://devkyu.digifandub.net/dats/scans/digimonking_80-81.jpg
It's one of those old V-jump guidebooks.
I would disagree that the name being a pun would on its own mean that it's not a Digimon... I mean Nanimon is a pun as well (I'm not sure if Ohakadamon's profile has ever been translated... maybe some confirmation could be found there).

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My Japanese isn't great but since the language used there isn't too difficult... "The grave where dead Digimon sleep. It's also a time to say your last goodbye to your beloved monsters. The simple cross is beautiful." The text to the side of that asks, "Are Digimon Christians?" I guess because of the cross, which is kinda funny :p

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh man, I just remembered Hubmon. I know it's just meant to be Habu's avatar, but I find its design pretty amusing, so it's a shame that it's apparently not counted as an official Digimon (though it'd be great if this changes at some point; Habu could make himself a Super Ultimate XD).

I would disagree that the name being a pun would on its own mean that it's not a Digimon... I mean Nanimon is a pun as well
Yes, but Nanimon is clearly a living creature, which is a trait seemingly all Digimon fall under (or at least being a mobile object in the case of certain Machine Digimon). "Ohakadamon" is just that, a stationary grave. Maybe the joke is that your Digimon "evolves" into it, but I'd still view it as nothing more than a gag and not a real Digimon (in that V-Jump card, they don't even bother giving it any artwork, it's just the LCD sprite enlarged).

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Generamon, Earthdramon,
can we really say they are lost? since they have been recycled into Darcmon and Groundramon
Maybe with Generamon, but not Earthdramon. Earthdramon was meant to be the third part of a trio with Airdramon and Seadramon, who are both champion/adult, whereas Groundramon is ultimate/perfect.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a bit amused that MirrorBallmon hasn't been mentioned yet. They were mentioned in early Xros Wars materials circa 2010 (V-Jump and card D2-35) as being used by Lilithmon. Not only did no such named Digimon appear in Xros Wars, but no other mentions have been made since.

Lord Bearmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. Here are two pictures of ToyAgumon (Black), both his official art and his anime look, which is slightly darker:

Here is ToyAgumon L:

ToyAgumon L is not only more transparent, it's clearly in a much lighter color. And why wouldn't they just call it ToyAgumon B if he was truly meant to be him? IMO, nothing really indicates that ToyAgumon (Black) and ToyAgumon L (Light?) are the same, except that their looks are kinda similar. But keep in mind that at least, there's a bigger difference here than there is between Garurumon and Gururumon, lol.

I really agree about Monodramon's and Impmon's Baby forms... At least give them some official art and a reference book profile.
A bit late for the ToyAgumon L discussion but whatever...

ToyAgumon L is not as light as you think, here's some screenshot of him in battle, looks exactly like its official art to me, it's just the lighting that makes him look white-ish in the card illustration.
Also because there is no other ToyAgumonBlack in the game, makes even more sense that he IS ToyAgumon Black.
For the name, I'm not sure why they pick the letter L but I'm assuming that since Otamamon Red was called D-Otamamon, as in Otamamon Re(D), so it could've been ToyAgumon B(L)ack

Last edited:

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. Here are two pictures of ToyAgumon (Black), both his official art and his anime look, which is slightly darker:

Here is ToyAgumon L:

ToyAgumon L is not only more transparent, it's clearly in a much lighter color. And why wouldn't they just call it ToyAgumon B if he was truly meant to be him? IMO, nothing really indicates that ToyAgumon (Black) and ToyAgumon L (Light?) are the same, except that their looks are kinda similar. But keep in mind that at least, there's a bigger difference here than there is between Garurumon and Gururumon, lol.

I really agree about Monodramon's and Impmon's Baby forms... At least give them some official art and a reference book profile.
A bit late for the ToyAgumon L discussion but whatever...

ToyAgumon L is not as light as you think, here's some screenshot of him in battle, looks exactly like its official art to me, it's just the lighting that makes him look white-ish in the card illustration.
Also because there is no other ToyAgumonBlack in the game, makes even more sense that he IS ToyAgumon Black.
For the name, I'm not sure why they pick the letter L but I'm assuming that since Otamamon Red was called D-Otamamon, as in Otamamon Re(D), so it could've been ToyAgumon B(L)ack

Now show us a screenshot of ToyAgumon and ClearAgumon :) Then you will see my point. ToyAgumon L is a transparent version of ToyAgumon Black, like how ClearAgumon is a transparent version of ToyAgumon. They could have made ToyAgumon L more nontransparent like ToyAgumon and ToyAgumon Black, but they didn't. Instead, they made him more transparent like ClearAgumon.

Data Otamamon and Virus Elecmon are pretty obvious, if I remember correctly (which I don't always do), but I have really seen no good explanation for the L yet...

Last edited:

Lord Bearmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ToyAgumon Black IS transparent, just look at his official art, you can clearly see the backside of his body parts.

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ToyAgumon Black IS transparent, just look at his official art, you can clearly see the backside of his body parts.

I think you read my message too fast. I said that ToyAgumon and ToyAgumon Black both are more nontransparent while ClearAgumon and ToyAgumon L are more transparent. All of them are transparent, but ToyAgumon and ToyAgumon Black are less transparent than ClearAgumon and ToyAgumon L. As I said, show us the screenshots of ToyAgumon and ClearAgumon from the game :) Then you will see that there are two levels of transparency, even within the limits of PSX graphics.

Lord Bearmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except for his hands, ToyAgumon is a solid block.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I said that ToyAgumon and ToyAgumon Black both are more nontransparent while ClearAgumon and ToyAgumon L are more transparent. All of them are transparent, but ToyAgumon and ToyAgumon Black are less transparent than ClearAgumon and ToyAgumon L. As I said, show us the screenshots of ToyAgumon and ClearAgumon from the game :) Then you will see that there are two levels of transparency, even within the limits of PSX graphics.
That Argument doesn't make sense. ToyAgumon was never transparent, so of course the only two levels of transparency are opaque for ToyAgumon while both ClearAgumon and ToyAgumon Black/L are transparent. This video of the Child level attacks shows it quite well: ToyAgumon https://youtu.be/zHQQFmgLg44?t=1057 ,ToyAgumon L : https://youtu.be/zHQQFmgLg44?t=986, ClearAgumon https://youtu.be/zHQQFmgLg44?t=1091
so, yes it's about as transparent as ClearAgumon but that doesn't mean that he can't be ToyAgumon (Black) since, lo and behold, both ClearAgumon and ToyAgumon Black are also in Digimon Savers: another mission and again their models show the same amount of transparency:

..so in my opinion ToyAgumon being more translucent in card battle is not really different from Shamamon being far more brown in Card Battle than he is in other media.

Last edited:

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except for his hands, ToyAgumon is a solid block.

You see? ToyAgumon L was not supposed to be some kind of dark counterpart to ToyAgumon. His design was actually just a darker ClearAgumon, where as BlackToyAgumon is a darker ToyAgumon.

@Theigno, I'm not saying that he can't be ToyAgumon Black. I'm just saying that, on one hand, it got a slightly different design and a completely unrelated name. On the other hand, there are fans screaming "he looks like the black ToyAgumon and to hell with the L!". You understand why I just accept what seems apparent, right? :) But I don't think anyone are stupid for thinking ToyAgumon L is ToyAgumon Black.

ToyAgumon L, a separate species or not, was so obscure that we probably won't ever know the answer for sure. However, I admit that it seems indicative that ToyAgumon Black started appearing right after ToyAgumon L disappeared.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Bandai version of the Virus ToyAgumon is transparent. I know you've admitted that, but... I really don't see how the black ToyAgumon from Digital Card Arena is any "more transparent" than the black ToyAgumon from the card game or whatever.

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Bandai version of the Virus ToyAgumon is transparent. I know you've admitted that, but... I really don't see how the black ToyAgumon from Digital Card Arena is any "more transparent" than the black ToyAgumon from the card game or whatever.
There are screenshots of ToyAgumon L and a picture of ToyAgumon Black a few posts up :)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I saw them, but I don't see any greater difference between the two black ToyAgumon than I do between the two ClearAgumon. Aside from that, I think that ToyAgumon-L appears "more transparent" partly because its colors don't contrast with the dark background the way ClearAgumon's do.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it clearly seems to be ToyAgumon Black, it´s black and transparent end of story.
can we know please get back on topic?

btw i think the most lost Digimon are probably the contest winners that never made the jump into any material, like BanchoOgremon.
do we hava a list of those? and maybe the art?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
btw i think the most lost Digimon are probably the contest winners that never made the jump into any material, like BanchoOgremon.
do we hava a list of those? and maybe the art?
Eh, that BanchouOgremon was merely a finalist not a winner, in other words it was rejected in the end. At some point we can draw a line between an actual Digimon and a piece of fan art that bandai clearly never recognized as a canon species.

edit: TMS was faster...

Last edited:

Marwan

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it clearly seems to be ToyAgumon Black, it´s black and transparent end of story.
can we know please get back on topic?
The game doesn't state that it's ToyAgumon Black. The game states that it's ToyAgumon L. But whatever, back on topic. We won't ever know for sure, unless Bandai speaks out about it, which they most likely won't.