The "Lost" Digimon

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with the recent additions of Culumon and Burpmon, is anyone else a bit disappointed that even the Reference Book is copping out on giving an official level and attack to these Digimon?
Yeah and its doubly stupid seeing as how they retconned the xros wars mons to have levels only last year. But its not like its hard to think of the level. Both have obvious power levels to compare them to other digimon with Culum "feeling like" a rookie or in-training and Burpmon "feels like" an adult/champion or an ultimate/perfect.
It's all the more bizarre since I'm pretty sure there ARE plenty of official sources which point to Culumon explicitly being a BabyII.
Here's the thing: Burpmon isn't shown to have a proper attack, just the ability to consume attacks directed at it as an extension of its ability to eat data, and Calumon is explicitly incapable of attack or Digivolution.

As Exodd implied, Calumon and Burpmon are not meant to be regular Digimon unlike even the Digimon of Xros War.

And as a reminder, "power levels" mean fuck all when it comes to Digivolutionary stages. The level update of the XW Digimon was based on an internal logic, not what the fans "feels like" the Digimon should be.

To give some examples, Chikurimon's level was bumped up to Child from what fans had assumed it to be to bring it in line with Troopmon being Adult so they could be directly linked as a line.

Likewise while most XW variants of classic Digimon were kept the same level as the original (Bombmon, Greymon, MetalGreymon, Cyberdramon and Beelzemon), Starmon XW was made Child level while ShootingStarmon had its level dropped down to Adult from what fans had assumed it to be to keep them in line with Chibickmon and Pickmon being Infant I and II respectively to make a full line with ShootingStarmon as a natural Digivolution of Child Starmon.

Modification Xrosses (DeckerGreymon and any Xros formatted as _mon _ Mode or _mon + {{insert weapon}}) are typically the same Level as the base Digimon while Jogress Xrosses boost level by one.

Shoutmon's Xros line seems to have its own rules, which I may or may not go into later, but does somewhat follow the above rules though the big question is how will Shoutmon GM, SD and GreyKnightsmon be handled.

Finally and perhaps most damningly, fans assumed that Gravimon, Splashmon and Zamielmon were going to be Ultimate/Mega alongside Dorbickmon, NeoMyotismon and Olegmon because of "obvious power levels" and wound up with egg on their face when only the latter three turned out to be Ultimate/Mega whereas the former three were made Perfect level to keep Ultimates/Megas from outnumbering Perfects as I had mentioned in as I had mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To give some examples, Chikurimon's level was bumped up to Child from what fans had assumed it to be to bring it in line with Troopmon being Adult so they could be directly linked as a line.
One game originally listed Chikurimon as Baby II and Troopmon as Child.

Later Troopmon was an Adult, likely because it’s proportions are all wrong for a Child stage, even with outliers like Renamon.

That’s likely what prompted Chikurimon being bumped up a level, too.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One game originally listed Chikurimon as Baby II and Troopmon as Child.

Later Troopmon was an Adult, likely because it’s proportions are all wrong for a Child stage, even with outliers like Renamon.

That’s likely what prompted Chikurimon being bumped up a level, too.

They never listed a level, people just assumed based on "card placement".

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They never listed a level, people just assumed based on "card placement".
It's not just that - the concept of "Nanomon" from the Xros Wars games listed all of the various new mini Digimon (Bombmon, Monimon, Chikurimon, Pickmon) together and they're all now Babies - and Chikurimon was part of that group.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not just that - the concept of "Nanomon" from the Xros Wars games listed all of the various new mini Digimon (Bombmon, Monimon, Chikurimon, Pickmon) together and they're all now Babies - and Chikurimon was part of that group.
Strictly speaking, Bombmon was made Infant I, presumably to match the other Bommon while Monimon and Pickmon were both made Infant II; the latter to form the aforementioned XW Starmon line while the former to form a line with the Child level Monitamon and Adult level Hi-Vision Monitamon.

So Chikurimon being Child Level to form a line with Troopmon since as Muur rightly noted, the latter's always been formally treated as Adult in official media. The example you're citing was people making assumptions based largely on card placement without actual levels listed.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with the recent additions of Culumon and Burpmon, is anyone else a bit disappointed that even the Reference Book is copping out on giving an official level and attack to these Digimon?
Yeah and its doubly stupid seeing as how they retconned the xros wars mons to have levels only last year. But its not like its hard to think of the level. Both have obvious power levels to compare them to other digimon with Culum "feeling like" a rookie or in-training and Burpmon "feels like" an adult/champion or an ultimate/perfect.
It's all the more bizarre since I'm pretty sure there ARE plenty of official sources which point to Culumon explicitly being a BabyII.
Here's the thing: Burpmon isn't shown to have a proper attack, just the ability to consume attacks directed at it as an extension of its ability to eat data, and Calumon is explicitly incapable of attack or Digivolution.

As Exodd implied, Calumon and Burpmon are not meant to be regular Digimon unlike even the Digimon of Xros War.
If Neamon literally just running away could be given a proper name and listed as a signature move, they can damn well do the same with Burpmon's indiscriminate gorging. And as I'm sure I've said before, even ignoring the DS RPGs, Culumon does indeed have a proper move (albeit a non-offensive one) in Shining Evolution.

Speaking of the DS RPGs, the Reference Book saying that Culumon's unable to attack or evolve seems about as definite as the claim that Death-X-mon isn't a Digimon. I guess what I'm saying is: don't be surprised if Culumon and Burpmon go on to make future appearances in which they are treated as standard Digimon.

BeelzebumonBlastMode

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish they would retcon ModokiBetamon's appearance. He's just too similar to Betamon.
I mean, ModokiBetamon has larger eyes as well. Just compare Bo-111 and Bo-124. This isn't visible in the recolored version on Wikimon because that trait was, well, lost by fan editors. A few of the recolored Digimon subspecies have that sort of minute differences as in structural traits that aren't shared by the "plain" recolors. Just like how BlackRapidmon has different armor over its face than the standard green Rapidmon. Psychemon's Bandai Asia and Collectors artwork even gives him a different pattern on his stomach (though this is the same as on Gabumon in other artwork).

It also could be worse. Speaking of forgotten and recolors, there was a whole game (D-Project) where every single Digimon entry had 3 different color variations based on attribute. This also created a few peculiarities, such as a viral Gabumon that was distinct from BlackGabumon, 6 versions of Cherubimon, and even 6 versions of YukimiBotamon. That's a whole concept that's largely been lost by the fandom.
I didnt notice that eye difference with Modoki Betamon. The fan art on Wikimon really winds me up. It makes you miss things like this.

Would be cool if they made that Psychemon skull stomach pattern more canon. I'd like the recolours to be more distinct. Espcially if they keep getting used.

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish they would retcon ModokiBetamon's appearance. He's just too similar to Betamon.
I mean, ModokiBetamon has larger eyes as well. Just compare Bo-111 and Bo-124. This isn't visible in the recolored version on Wikimon because that trait was, well, lost by fan editors. A few of the recolored Digimon subspecies have that sort of minute differences as in structural traits that aren't shared by the "plain" recolors. Just like how BlackRapidmon has different armor over its face than the standard green Rapidmon. Psychemon's Bandai Asia and Collectors artwork even gives him a different pattern on his stomach (though this is the same as on Gabumon in other artwork).

It also could be worse. Speaking of forgotten and recolors, there was a whole game (D-Project) where every single Digimon entry had 3 different color variations based on attribute. This also created a few peculiarities, such as a viral Gabumon that was distinct from BlackGabumon, 6 versions of Cherubimon, and even 6 versions of YukimiBotamon. That's a whole concept that's largely been lost by the fandom.
I didnt notice that eye difference with Modoki Betamon. The fan art on Wikimon really winds me up. It makes you miss things like this.

Would be cool if they made that Psychemon skull stomach pattern more canon. I'd like the recolours to be more distinct. Espcially if they keep getting used.
yeah, would be cool if more recolours to be like ogremons recolours instead of just being recolours.
except gotsumons joke evos and mudfrigimon, those can stay.

JungleTrooper

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Modoki means 'same, but different', though. Which is quite funny.

doublewizard

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

This is something that's really bothered me lately. I understand that a lot of these more obscure mons don't have good quality art, but just recoloring art like this without any clear indication just causes confusion.

BeelzebumonBlastMode

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

yeah, would be cool if more recolours to be like ogremons recolours instead of just being recolours.
Gotsumon's joke evos are a bit weird. In Digimon World meteormon who in later stuff is almost exactly like Gotsumon actually has more differences. Its bigger than normal gotsumon.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just had a thought, since people were bringing up Psychemon earlier: shouldn't there be a purple-striped Garurumon? I mean, the other Gabumon variants are said to get their pelts from a Garurumon's data, so it would make sense...... unless, maybe, it's possible for pelt data to get discolored. Though really, it's a wonder why they didn't make Gururumon that color, especially since they were gonna recolor it in its artwork anyway.

Gotsumon's joke evos are a bit weird. In Digimon World meteormon who in later stuff is almost exactly like Gotsumon actually has more differences. Its bigger than normal gotsumon.
Uh...... I think you got that backwards. In the PS1 games, Insekimon just looked like a slightly more dark-colored Gotsumon.

Though outside of the PS1 games, Insekimon still runs into a case of mistaken identity, except now it's with Icemon. It gets all the worse when certain media makes it difficult to notice (if not completely removes) the blueish or greenish tint that distinguishes the two of them (I felt like Frontier, which featured both of them, was especially guilty of this).

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They should double in size each time. Also need a fourth one that's pink named Rhodonitemon

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They should double in size each time. Also need a fourth one that's pink named Rhodonitemon
i think having both a mon regularly named after that and a mon that's a pun on that might be too much.

Tetsuya Suoh

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While it often gets lost in translation "LordKnightmon's" name comes both from "Lord Knight" and "Rhodonite", due to the pink coloration, and I don't think we need another "Mercurymon-Mercuremon situation. But, it could be named "Morgamon" after morganite, which is also a pink gemstone. And I would like to add that Morgamon should be Ultimate/Mega level.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get the feeling that Muur was just joking, with the implication that Insekimon should be LordKnightmon's canonical Perfect. I mean, would there be any other reason to pick rhodonite, of all minerals?

Last edited:

BeelzebumonBlastMode

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just had a thought, since people were bringing up Psychemon earlier: shouldn't there be a purple-striped Garurumon? I mean, the other Gabumon variants are said to get their pelts from a Garurumon's data, so it would make sense...... unless, maybe, it's possible for pelt data to get discolored. Though really, it's a wonder why they didn't make Gururumon that color, especially since they were gonna recolor it in its artwork anyway.

Uh...... I think you got that backwards. In the PS1 games, Insekimon just looked like a slightly more dark-colored Gotsumon.

Though outside of the PS1 games, Insekimon still runs into a case of mistaken identity, except now it's with Icemon. It gets all the worse when certain media makes it difficult to notice (if not completely removes) the blueish or greenish tint that distinguishes the two of them (I felt like Frontier, which featured both of them, was especially guilty of this).

No definitely thinking of the original digimon world. Its more obvious in videos. I found a couple examples on youtube:

Gotsumon (skip to about 12 minutes to see him):

Meteormon/Insekimon:

The latter is clearly bigger.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nah no joking. Then people can't use the name "Rhodoniotemon" for the Royal Knight as then the name is taken by the new Gotsumon recolour.

The Golux

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean they generally avoid multiple mons having the same name in japanese (which that would be) unless one is an Appmon...

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean they generally avoid multiple mons having the same name in japanese (which that would be) unless one is an Appmon...

It's LordKnightmon in Japanese.

Just spell the new one in Hiragana like Monzaemon if you have to.