The "Lost" Digimon

JungleTrooper

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair, there isn't really a 'safe bet' when we've already gotten: A Digimon from World that wasn't even usable without cheats/hacking, the transportation Digimon from Frontier, three Digimon from DigiWindow, a Child stage for Dokugumon, Knightmon's often forgotten Adult stage, a Xros of Knightmon and Shoutmon X4 whose existence hadn't been acknowledged outside the anime even when Xros Wars was on the air, a Digimon whose biggest role was fucking Tamers that wasn't one of the actual partner Digimon, the remaining two known variants of Numemon, and last but certainly not least a Digimon who was previously exclusive to Digimon Twin L&R.

Yes, three of these aforementioned Digimon were part of that poll of Digimon Bandai intended to add this year but none of these were really what I'd call 'safe bets'.
We've never gotten a Digimon that was made purely as censored version of another, though.

And, yes, some very obscure ones got added lately. But that's the exception, not the rule, and some might still be likelier than others. For example: I don't think we'll see the likes of Hermmon ever again.

So, Burpmon and King Sukamon and the others were welcome oddities, but not something you could be really sure of to get added. Unlike the last X antibodies, some of the recolours/variations and the likes of Brachimon, those last few Olympus Twelve, Yanmamon, etc. In short; Those that got more time to shine in other media and whose canonity is not in doubt.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with the recent additions of Culumon and Burpmon, is anyone else a bit disappointed that even the Reference Book is copping out on giving an official level and attack to these Digimon? Sure, Burpmon was conceived in the V-pets as just a useless form any Digimon could take after over-eating, but I think the recent Adventure: episode showed us that it is indeed capable of offense (and is apparently at least as strong as a Perfect).

the remaining two known variants of Numemon
Well, aside from their Digimon World 3 recolors, anyway.

Wonder if Dukemon Chaos Mode will ever get an entry in the DRB. The only thing we've gotten is a toy that was released in North America, which doesn't exactly inspire much hope.
Yeah, it does just seem like someone made a recolor of an existing transforming toy without consulting the Japan side on it. Still, a Crimson Mode equivalent to ChaosDukemon would hardly be unprecedented, so here's hoping it turns up at some point (and hopefully with a better name than "Chaos Mode").

citramon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't consider Citramon "lost" since it's just a BomberNanimon that was censored because in 2005 the U.S. was still sensitive about anything having to do with bombs because of 9/11 2001

It was censored because Disney didn't want a Digimon bombing a theme park as they own Disneyland. If he bombed something else they prob would've been fine with the episode. Nothing to do with 9/11

and I honestly quite like Citramon, it's a pretty cool design and he was funny in the dub. I'd like to see him again - he promised he'd be back and be even juicer next time. BomberNanimon is kinda boring, Citramon is more interesting for me.
Thank you, Citramon is the best lost mon.

JungleTrooper

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't consider Citramon "lost" since it's just a BomberNanimon that was censored because in 2005 the U.S. was still sensitive about anything having to do with bombs because of 9/11 2001

It was censored because Disney didn't want a Digimon bombing a theme park as they own Disneyland. If he bombed something else they prob would've been fine with the episode. Nothing to do with 9/11

and I honestly quite like Citramon, it's a pretty cool design and he was funny in the dub. I'd like to see him again - he promised he'd be back and be even juicer next time. BomberNanimon is kinda boring, Citramon is more interesting for me.
Thank you, Citramon is the best lost mon.
He's a censored and recoloured BomberNanimon, though. Not an original creation made by the Japanese.

He's pretty much 'non-canon'.

BeelzebumonBlastMode

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with the recent additions of Culumon and Burpmon, is anyone else a bit disappointed that even the Reference Book is copping out on giving an official level and attack to these Digimon?
Yeah and its doubly stupid seeing as how they retconned the xros wars mons to have levels only last year. But its not like its hard to think of the level. Both have obvious power levels to compare them to other digimon with Culumon "feeling like" a rookie or in-training and Burpmon "feels like" an adult/champion or an ultimate/perfect.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with the recent additions of Culumon and Burpmon, is anyone else a bit disappointed that even the Reference Book is copping out on giving an official level and attack to these Digimon?
Yeah and its doubly stupid seeing as how they retconned the xros wars mons to have levels only last year. But its not like its hard to think of the level. Both have obvious power levels to compare them to other digimon with Culum "feeling like" a rookie or in-training and Burpmon "feels like" an adult/champion or an ultimate/perfect.
It's all the more bizarre since I'm pretty sure there ARE plenty of official sources which point to Culumon explicitly being a BabyII.

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
y'know, if i were making the conversion, i would of probably had culumon as "level: unknown; class: baby 2" or something, just to go both ways.

JungleTrooper

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The 40~ Digimon 3 recolors really deserve their own names and profiles. It still bugs me.
I might sound like I'm 'gatekeeping', but the charm of recolours is more than just an alternate colour; It's also a different attribute, moveset, habitat, evolution-line and most important of all: Personality.

That's why I think they shouldn't be too common. 40 more recolours are a lot. We still need to see the following recolours in the reference-book:
- ModokiBetamon
- MoriShellmon
- SandYanmamon
- Dokunemon
- Vermillimon
- Kyubimon/Taomon (Silver)
- Guardromon (Gold)
- Some Black variants of Protagonist lines, like Guilmon, Stingmon, Galgomon, etc.

Elecmon (Violet) and Otamamon (Red) got added a few years ago, so the above additions wouldn't be that unlikely.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most of them are the same attribute as the original, annoyingly. They even tend to share the same attacks in that instance.

JungleTrooper

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most of them are the same attribute as the original, annoyingly. They even tend to share the same attacks in that instance.
Established recolours with a profile? Or those from DW3?

Because I remember most established ones to have their own take on their attributes as well as movesets.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I might sound like I'm 'gatekeeping', but the charm of recolours is more than just an alternate colour; It's also a different attribute, moveset, habitat, evolution-line and most important of all: Personality.
I dunno, stuff like "Sand Airdramon" and "Sand Cockatrimon" from Digimon World 3 have a lot of personality and fills in biomes we don't see a lot of Digimon based upon. Others would be a nice way of canonizing different level Digimon (the "Holy Minotaurumon" being the Perfect-level and the "White Whamon" being both the alternate Whamon and Hookmon's enemy).

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Established recolours with a profile? Or those from DW3?

Because I remember most established ones to have their own take on their attributes as well as movesets.

established ones. garurumon and gururumon both being vaccine, taomon and doumon being data, black guilmon being virus, akatorimon and kokatorimon beng the same, palmon/aurururmon, gabumon/psychemon. honeslty most recolours are the exact same attribute.

BeelzebumonBlastMode

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The 40~ Digimon 3 recolors really deserve their own names and profiles. It still bugs me.

That's why I think they shouldn't be too common. 40 more recolours are a lot. We still need to see the following recolours in the reference-book:
- ModokiBetamon
- MoriShellmon
- SandYanmamon
- Dokunemon
- Vermillimon
- Kyubimon/Taomon (Silver)
- Guardromon (Gold)
- Some Black variants of Protagonist lines, like Guilmon, Stingmon, Galgomon, etc.

Elecmon (Violet) and Otamamon (Red) got added a few years ago, so the above additions wouldn't be that unlikely.
I wish they would retcon ModokiBetamon's appearance. He's just too similar to Betamon. He disappeared for 20 years and only recently just reappeared in a card. I think the only reason it got used again was because its probably the enemy digimon you see most in the original digimon world. They are usually right outside File City.

Also there's a couple more missing recolours from the reference book: Piddomon, Tekkamon, BomberNanimon, Red V-dramon. Although except the last one those digimon have more differences than just a recolouring. Also most of the Black variants that aren't in the reference book only had like an obscure one off appearance. I wonder if those'll ever be added.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish they would retcon ModokiBetamon's appearance. He's just too similar to Betamon.
He's got nothing on Gururumon where I'm not even sure what the difference is supposed to be most of the time. I think that it's just the light blue shading is removed from Gururumon's back? Like, it's so dang hard to see. ModokiBetamon is at least a totally different shade of green. Easy to parse, unless you're colorblind.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Citramon is probably more canon then "Housemon". Much like the 3rd Sistermon, I see him as an understudy of sorts. People liked her so why not him.

Exodd

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Numemon from Digimon World 3 have potential to be quite different in profile.

Red one lives in a volcano and has fire-element. Blue one lives on ice and has aqua-element. White one lives in the wasteland, which is odd because Numemon usually like wet spaces. Purple one has an ability to lower defense and dwells in a bug network, so maybe it is more invasive or charming. Brown one lives in the jungle so tropical variant. Stuff like that.

Personally I don't think attribute is so important because it seems more about individual motive than inherent quality.
Yeah and its doubly stupid seeing as how they retconned the xros wars mons to have levels only last year. But its not like its hard to think of the level. Both have obvious power levels to compare them to other digimon with Culumon "feeling like" a rookie or in-training and Burpmon "feels like" an adult/champion or an ultimate/perfect.
Not so straightforward imo. Culumon is powerful enough to evolve other Digimon all the way to Ultimate, and presumably any Digimon of any level can mutate into Burpmon.
He's a censored and recoloured BomberNanimon, though. Not an original creation made by the Japanese.

He's pretty much 'non-canon'.
Sistermon Ciel was the same, a censor redesign of Sistermon Noir, and then got further redesigned and a profile.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish they would retcon ModokiBetamon's appearance. He's just too similar to Betamon.
He's got nothing on Gururumon where I'm not even sure what the difference is supposed to be most of the time. I think that it's just the light blue shading is removed from Gururumon's back? Like, it's so dang hard to see. ModokiBetamon is at least a totally different shade of green. Easy to parse, unless you're colorblind.
Gururumon was originally white and grey with black stripes, versus Garurumon’s white and blue with dark blue stripes. After the PS1 era, they changed him to be all white with pale blue stripes, which I think is a bit lame.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean, ModokiBetamon has larger eyes as well. Just compare Bo-111 and Bo-124. This isn't visible in the recolored version on Wikimon because that trait was, well, lost by fan editors. A few of the recolored Digimon subspecies have that sort of minute differences as in structural traits that aren't shared by the "plain" recolors. Just like how BlackRapidmon has different armor over its face than the standard green Rapidmon. Psychemon's Bandai Asia and Collectors artwork even gives him a different pattern on his stomach (though this is the same as on Gabumon in other artwork).

It also could be worse. Speaking of forgotten and recolors, there was a whole game (D-Project) where every single Digimon entry had 3 different color variations based on attribute. This also created a few peculiarities, such as a viral Gabumon that was distinct from BlackGabumon, 6 versions of Cherubimon, and even 6 versions of YukimiBotamon. That's a whole concept that's largely been lost by the fandom.

Tero

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gururumon also have dark purple claws.(Although, Garurumon have had dark purple claws couple of times in the cards too.)