The "Lost" Digimon

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These recolours I would consider lost. Imperialdramon black is probably the least lost because it was in Sunburst and moonligh:

Imperialdramon (Black),
Black Guilmon,
Imperialdramon Fighter Mode (Black),
V-dramon (Black),
XV-mon (Black),
Stingmon (Black)

Didn't Imperialdramon Black appeared in Tri? Or was it just a regular Imperialdramon?

the trading cards released based on parts 1-4 just state its a normal imperialdramon.

plus if you look here:

320px-Imperialdramon_black.jpg

his head is black under the white horns, but the anime version:

latest

his head is red under the white horns, just like normal imperialdramon

latest

so that wasn't "black" imperialdramon in tri. hes just slightly purple instead of blue, which also happened to angemon's wings when he was infected.

the colours used don't match for it to be the black version

also the tri verison doesnt have a black tail

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The TCG (Re-44t; Re-45t) treated the infected Imperialdramon as a Virus-attribute variant, while regular Imperialdramon is normally Free (or Vaccine if it's given a standard attribute).

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The TCG (Re-44t; Re-45t) treated the infected Imperialdramon as a Virus-attribute variant, while regular Imperialdramon is normally Free (or Vaccine if it's given a standard attribute).

The colours still don't match, though.

whilst they DO match for OG Imperial

The infection probably changed its attribute.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They don't match with either of them. It's very clearly not blue; the Dragon Mode card's description even explicitly calls it an "indigo-colored dragon." It also has green eyes, instead of red eyes.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They don't match with either of them. It's very clearly not blue; the Dragon Mode card's description even explicitly calls it an "indigo-colored dragon." It also has green eyes, instead of red eyes.

And Angemon's wing colour changed to indigo due to the infection.

In fact, all the infected 01 Digimon changed to be slightly purple.

parts of you turning purple seems to be an infection thing.

https://i.imgur.com/KD8mV2B.png

purple wings (removed the embedded due to how massive the pic is)

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That still doesn't address the green eyes. Red+purple does not make green. Tri's Imperialdramon is very clearly meant to be beyond just a slight mutation, unlike Angemon. It's not even known if that is the actual Imperialdramon; it could just have been born like that, making it a full-on separate subspecies instead of a mutation of the regular Imperialdramon.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I just wanted to bring this thread back to bring up more recent happenings with the Digimon Reference Book. Is it just me, or has the thing only be updating with newer Digimon that debuted in the recent V-pets and the Adventure reboot? It's quite a shame, since last I checked, there are still quite a few older Digimon that are absent (including ones that we KNOW to have artwork available).

Also, I gotta say, I loved seeing the acknowledgement that some things CAN count as their own Digimon, minor form and mode changes we probably would've never considered otherwise. I remember just last year or so, they were coming out with things like Shoutmon King Ver. and the Justimon arm types, as well as MagnaGarurumon (Detached) in Hacker's Memory (which has yet to see a profile of its own, interestingly enough). Leaves me wondering what other things could end up suddenly getting their own profile (ringless Tailmon, for instance).

You know, it's kinda ironic that I'm interested in these minor form differences being their own Digimon, yet I'm rather lukewarm towards the official recognition of DigiXroses. Honestly, I guess I'm just kinda sore on how they completely shit all over Huanglongmon, though their half-assed naming conventions never helped either (who was smoking what when they came up with that mouthful for the IceDevimon+Daipenmon fusion?).

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rather than being considered completely different Digimon, it's more that they're just distinct enough to get their own profiles.
We know that all three Justimons are still the exact same Digimon, just with different arm attachments. They all have the exact same profile, and said profile even describes the arm-changing as an inherent ability of Justimon's.

The biggest factor that seems to determine whether a minor variation/form gets its own DRB profile is whether it has a separate official artwork or not. That seems to be the case with most of the Xroses. There are plenty of minor Xroses, but even certain joke-Xroses like Shonitamon got profiles, while others that more significant (and even compatible with the actual combining toys) like Tsuwarmon Deadly Mode don't get profiles.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At any rate, such forms getting their own profiles do offer some nice advantages. For instance, they can be treated as separate playables in certain video games and V-pets (as opposed to, say, a form change only coming up temporarily during a cinematic attack sequence). It also helps adds to the collectible aspect of Digimon, at least IMO. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I like the idea of being able to have both a Beelzebumon as well as a Beelzebumon that's perpetually riding atop of Behemoth (the latter of which is treated as a separate playable character in the Xros Loaders), same with Dukemon and Grani. And here's hoping that a future game could give players the option to have a team of Justimon featuring all three Trinity Arms.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd much rather have a single Justimon that can use all its different arms and attacks.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd much rather have a single Justimon that can use all its different arms and attacks.
I feel like the reason for Justimon being three subspecies was probably because the Reference Book is not able to display three images in a single profile and it was just more convenient to treat each arm as its own subspecies.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like the reason for Justimon being three subspecies was probably because the Reference Book is not able to display three images in a single profile and it was just more convenient to treat each arm as its own subspecies.

Though, I'm kinda hoping they'll split this one too at some point.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not what I meant and the images of Justimon would not work with that image format since the image size would render them too small to be usable. I meant putting three images of Justimon on a single profile as tabs.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nat-chan is one example. Appeared in a CD drama once but was given no official artwork, we never found out what species she was and will likely never be featured again given how the franchise seems to have closed the book on the original Adventure.

To me... that's about as lost as it gets.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just realized. You know, Cardmon could be perfect chance for announcing the new card game boards to serve as the main mascot. Damn it!

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Different strokes. Personally, I like being able to keep a form change, any sort of difference in the visual design, permanent. And I was just really intrigued by the way Hacker's Memory approached MagnaGarurumon, giving players the option to effectively keep both variants as two separate units. Leaves me wondering what other Digimon could be altered through an in-game Mode Change function like that. Granted, I wouldn't be opposed to the option to use Mode Change mid-battle (assuming that's what you had in mind), just so long as you're able to keep any of the forms as you so choose.

Rather than being considered completely different Digimon, it's more that they're just distinct enough to get their own profiles.
We know that all three Justimons are still the exact same Digimon, just with different arm attachments. They all have the exact same profile, and said profile even describes the arm-changing as an inherent ability of Justimon's.
I think I mentioned this way earlier in the thread, but holding a sword or not apparently makes the difference between two whole numbers in the Shoutmon series. This makes me a bit more willing to view minor changes as separate Digimon (especially when said changes actually have a more notable effect on their physiology, or effectively changes its level in Tailmon's case).

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
See when it comes to "holding a sword is a new Digimon", they should just have the Star Sword as an attack for Shoutmon and X3 (to cover "Shoutmon + Star Sword, cuz that has a DRB entry lmao) and MadLeomon using the Chainsaw when attacking (the vpets actually did this). when its so minor I don't think they should be their own thing. When Shoutmon X4 puts the sword down, does he technically revert back to X3, or is he X4 still? what if he picks it up and puts it down 500 times?

In regards to the MagnaGarurumons though, what they did was fair enough... although Susanoomon kinda makes Magna having his own mode change a little moot.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could be misremembering, but I believe that there was a noticeable difference between X3 and X4 in terms of size and attack power.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
there are some scrapped Digimon I definitely want to see like the scrapped enemy trio from V-tamer, all of the odd Pandamons from Digimon Legendary Skies, Technodramon, the Bemmon lone without a doubt, and especially Yo!Yo!Mon who the Digimon Twitter made artwork for recently so it's on Bandai's radar but then there's Digimon I cannot justify the existence of like Mach Leomon who is just Mad Leomon who prefers daggers as a weapon (although Mush-Upped Mach Leomon is good as I like mushroom boys) and Luminamon Nene Version and Shademon Nene Version who make me infinitely uncomfortable and should have never been designed how they are

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
See when it comes to "holding a sword is a new Digimon", they should just have the Star Sword as an attack for Shoutmon and X3 (to cover "Shoutmon + Star Sword, cuz that has a DRB entry lmao) and MadLeomon using the Chainsaw when attacking (the vpets actually did this). when its so minor I don't think they should be their own thing. When Shoutmon X4 puts the sword down, does he technically revert back to X3, or is he X4 still? what if he picks it up and puts it down 500 times?
In my personal headcanon, ShoutmonX4 have a magnetic (psychokinetic?) link to the Star Sword (same with Shoutmon+Star Sword..... though there being profiles for Shoutmon with every piece of equipment under the sun is another topic entirely). It would make sense, considering the Starmons were also involved in the same DigiXros process, technically making them a part of the same Digimon. So basically, he's Luke using the force to grab his light sabre (and that comparison is honestly coincidental and totally not because May the 4th was just yesterday).

there are some scrapped Digimon I definitely want to see like the scrapped enemy trio from V-tamer, all of the odd Pandamons from Digimon Legendary Skies, Technodramon, the Bemmon lone without a doubt, and especially Yo!Yo!Mon who the Digimon Twitter made artwork for recently so it's on Bandai's radar but then there's Digimon I cannot justify the existence of like Mach Leomon who is just Mad Leomon who prefers daggers as a weapon (although Mush-Upped Mach Leomon is good as I like mushroom boys) and Luminamon Nene Version and Shademon Nene Version who make me infinitely uncomfortable and should have never been designed how they are
Are the Nene fusions uncomfortable because naked loli, or because it comes dangerously close to counting a human character as a Digimon (or both)?

Really, though, Digimon Frontier was iffy enough, but at least those Digimon designs were pretty easy to adapt to the rest of the franchise since they're really more of a Digimon-derived Spirit possessing some kind of base, be it human or another Digimon (and hell, whatever human features are there, such as Wolfmon's visible skin, doesn't even resemble the children's physique at all, essentially making the designs 100% Digimon). But if a Nene fusion were to pop up as a raisable "Digimon" in some future media, that'd be awkward as fuck since you'd pretty much just be raising Nene, wearing a Digimon as clothes.

MachLeomon might be workable, though it would help if a colored appearance managed to differentiate it more from MadLeomon. But really, the only Xros Wars design I wanna see dismissed entirely (if you don't count the Nene fusions as Digimon) is that horrible insult to Huanglongmon. I can't express enough how much I despise that moment when the anime, not already content with playing so loosely with the level system we've all grown familiar with, just outright spits on the wider Digimon lore (though I gotta say, Dorbickmon's final form isn't so bad, as it only looks like a souped-up version of Dorbickmon himself and fits in with most of the other Death Generals having a Darkness Mode). Can't really say I like HiMugendramon much either (it was obviously a poor attempt at recreating Chaosdramon back when they were still trying to dodge the acknowledgement of evolution in Xros Wars).

Most the other Xros Wars designs, I don't mind one way or the other. I mean, I could live without something like Appolomon Whispered, DarkKnightmon's short-lived Baguramon fusion, SkullKnightmon Naginata Mode, Mervamon Wide Hi-Vision Sword, pretty much any of the Xros Ups, the variety of manga-only fusions that even Wikimon has trouble securing a decent picture of (aside from X6..... let's get the Shoutmon series completed), or even the actually pretty awesome SuperDarkKnightmon ever being recognized again, though I wouldn't complain if they did happen to pop up at some point (oh, but do give us BalliBastemon XD).

Last edited: