The lack of an english dub

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just recently finished Adventure 2020 and i quite liked it, but i did have one problem with it, the voices. I liked the Japanese voices enough, but i grew up with the English voices, so it's always a little weird to me.
Anyway, it made me think that it was such a missed opportunity not to dub this season. With it being a reboot of Adventure Hasbro could have gone back to the roots of the series and advertised it both on nostalgia for old fans, and a fun show for kids tuning in.

With the recent dubbing of Tri and Kizuna, it showed that both the old returning voice actors and new ones can still create an excellent, accurate dub with a few jokes thrown in here and there.

Ultimamon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For me, the only thing that would possibly make a dub of the Taichi Show worth the time is if they went on heavy gag format (Samurai Pizza Cats). It helps that members of the cast (like Joe) already act like exaggerated versions of the Saban portrayals, or are otherwise blank slates. Giving many of the interchangeable villains quirky voices/accents like with Etemon and Metalseadramon, in addition to actual dialogue beyond mindless roaring would only improve their otherwise forgettable status.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it'll get one eventually, maybe they'll announce it at the DigiCon event thing in February. Dubs are a lot harder to do now though basically all of them just go to Netflix now instead and they go with like, 12 episodes at a time then nothing for a few months.

Canada and Australia still air anime dubs weekly though, in fact the last few Yugioh series (Zexal, Arc V, and Vrains) all aired fully in both those countries but didn't air fully in the US which is weird when they were US dubs anyway.

Point is, dubs are a lot rarer now... annoyingly. Digimon is still a property a lot of people know like Pokemon and Yugioh and that's prob why Kizuna and Tri were dubbed. I think it (and Surivive) will be announced for dubs in Feb, there's a good chance.

In fact according to the producers of Yugioh they dubbed 52 episodes of the most recent series (Sevens) and are looking for someone to air the episodes (said a few months ago) so maybe Digimon can dub all 67 episodes at once and then drop them all at one on a streaming platform? seems like Yugioh plan to do that, so digimon could do something similar. Then again dubbing 52 episodes then "looking for someone to air them" and still not having them aired... could say a lot I suppose.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it'll get one eventually, maybe they'll announce it at the DigiCon event thing in February. Dubs are a lot harder to do now though basically all of them just go to Netflix now instead and they go with like, 12 episodes at a time then nothing for a few months.

This is so insanely wrong it actually puts into question if you pay attention to anime outside of 1 or 2 shows.

There are so many dubs being made companies that used to do almost all of their own dubbing are hiring outside studios to dub 'more'.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd like to see a dub but I won't hold my breath. They didn't for Appmon. And this is the first season. So it's a big maybe. Netflix might work well.

SoulCoreAttack99

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It might happen eventually, mainly for the Digimon Adventure (2020) anime reboot, once they announce the voice cast for English and later, the multiple languages on Netflix.

Do you think that they should bring back the original English voice cast (from 1999 and 2016 from Digimon Adventure tri. with the replacements voice cast), or probably have some brand new ones? except for those who they played over two decades.

I’m picking Shout! Factory to distribute the DVD/Blu-ray releases as they did with tri. and Last Evolution: Kizuna.

Renegade_Productions

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Even if there is a dub, I'll stick with the original Japanese.

Saban's original Adventure dub was the kind of silly fun that can't get easily replicated, and in current year, I wouldn't trust most dubbing studios outside of Sentai Filmworks to do a faithful job.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah I agree a dub would be nice to have- simply for the sake of casual consumption... there are times I want to just kick back and mindlessly take in a series... and while yes I can do so with the subs... there are times its nice to re watch shows and not need to read them, and yes I'm more than aware that stuff gets lost in translation, and not all dubs are created equal... I still cant get over the cringeworthy choices made during the Fusion dub in regards to a few digimon names... though the Angel of Slushies might just be my favorite dub thing ever just for how ridiculous it is, rivaled only by Citramon who is on the top of things for the sake of Creative problem solving.

I do feel IF (key word there) we get a dub it would likely be by the group responsible for the Tri and Kizuna dubs (I believe they were the same studio at least) since well it just makes more sense to try and bringback the Tri cast (where possible) even if we are dealing with a younger version of their characters, than to cast brand new voices for the sake of just being true to the most recent incarnations of the characters. Hell I was impressed by Viz when they announced that for the Sailormoon aniversary they weren't just dubbing Crystal but ReDubbing the classic series for consistancy sake... so this would be a happy middle ground just keeping the most recent voices for consistancy.

I also feel its a bit too early to rule a dub out... we've gotten a bit spoiled by simuldubs i feel So many series are showing off the first dub episode around the time of ep 4 or 5 of the Subs... i just don't quite think we are at the point yet where its simuldub or bust, though we probably are getting pretty close... end of 22 beginning of 23 perhaps?

But yeah sadly the lack of an applimon dub does make if feel unlikely... but applimon wasn't being pushed outside of Japan to my knowledge like Digimon has been since the reboot started... Though who knows maybe we wont get one but I wouldn't mind a GG dub... even if it means waiting until the halfway point for it to be announced and going direct to DVD in a couple sets

Brodul

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just recently finished Adventure 2020 and i quite liked it, but i did have one problem with it, the voices. I liked the Japanese voices enough, but i grew up with the English voices, so it's always a little weird to me.
Anyway, it made me think that it was such a missed opportunity not to dub this season. With it being a reboot of Adventure Hasbro could have gone back to the roots of the series and advertised it both on nostalgia for old fans, and a fun show for kids tuning in.

With the recent dubbing of Tri and Kizuna, it showed that both the old returning voice actors and new ones can still create an excellent, accurate dub with a few jokes thrown in here and there.
If Sampler was alive right now I'm sure she will play a role on Mimi and Ruli from Digimon Ghost Game