The Hiatus Leadup Week 7- Lucky Star

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After a couple of movies with Harlock and City Hunter last time, with Harlock being quite serious, something more comedic seemed like a good call.

Lucky Star

No real warnings, super mild fanservice, wordplay, and language maybe?

The show can be watched on the following officially:
Subbed and dubbed on Funimation

Lets say half the series, 12 episodes. There isn't quite a story this time, so

Lucky Star is a slow paced character comedy. Most of it's comedy comes from wacky and sometimes surreal observations, talking, nostalgia for anime and games, and throwing in references, often with actors involved from the references.

It's the type of show you get more out of if you understand the references, but overall, it still ends up funny and entertaining no matter what (although a few specific references tend to be used much stronger.)

It has a fun art style, and it's just an enjoyable show to watch. It tends to speak for itself in just the first few minutes to be honest.

As for Digimon connections... Lucky Star has a lot. Especially on the English side, where you will hear Digimon voices you recognize probably more often than not.

Just gonna list 'one' this time, as trying to even pare down the list of who to list in English would take a long time.

Wendee Lee leads the English cast of Lucky Star as Konata. For Digimon she directed early episodes of Adventure, and most notable voiced TK in Adventure, but also played Minomon & Leafmon in 02, Mako & MarineAngemon in Tamers, Bearmon in the Frontier movie, and a ton more throughout the early years of the anime.

I've embedded a show opening as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Week 1- NG Knight Lamune & 40
Week 2- Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie
Week 3- City Hunter
Week 4- Little Nemo
Week 5- Project A-ko
Week 6- Space Pirate Captain Harlock & City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes

Prior Leadups
Second Leadup, To Kizuna (and Adventure:)

First Leadup, To tri.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lucky Star is really funny and full of memes and has the best moment of all anime history when
minoru gets his revenge and destroys the set.

If you like slice of life, comedy, and memes you'll really like it tho my biggest critism is that towards the end they add way too many characters and Patricia is annoying.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've seen this. It's fun. I like Konata and Miyuki. And fun to know, they're all high schoolers.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm very late on responding to this, since I spent the Week 8 finishing the series and watching the OVA, and I've been lazy since then. Lucky Star got off to a slow start for me (I watched the first episode and was trying to figure out where the joke was in all that pointless talk about the proper way to eat things), but the show hit its stride later on, and I grew to enjoy it. The later ending sequences were weird, but I guess it was kind of fun just to watch Japanese people fuck around. Two things that struck me about this anime were all the blatant references to other anime - you could tell which ones they owned the rights to based on what they did and didn't bleep - and how the creepy male pedophile (all shows like this have one, except of course Yuru Yuri) was the father of one of the main characters, and how that added to the creep factor. I feel like there were a number of jokes that went over my head, notably what Kagami said in the OVA that got bleeped, but other than that it was a decent experience. One such joke at least was explained when I noticed on My Anime List that the show has a spinoff, which I'll probably watch sometime.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the joke was about talking about how to eat that desert. It's something you might not think of but if you start to, you might get confused. But it's a real fun show.