The Hiatus Leadup Week 5- Project A-ko

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After something like Little Nemo which was for kids, but plays at being a bit more... epic (or serious? not sure how to word it...), decided to flip it around with something aimed at older fans that is a bit less serious...

Project A-ko!

A bit of nudity, with some milder fanservice and violence thrown in.

The movie can be watched on the following officially:
Subbed on RetroCrush
Dubbed on Amazon Prime

The movie was released by Discotek before I was there (and is DVD only in fact.)

There's more to say about A-ko than I would even try. A satire of many things, it's been a longtime favorite among anime fans (and no doubt created a huge chunk of them with something that was actively shown off as anime when it used to commonly air on Sci-Fi in the 90s, or as it sat in video rental stores.) It's still a long time favorite of mine, to the degree on a few occasions I've considered nabbing the Laserdisc version just to have a nice shelf piece, despite having no player...

It's a relatively basic story, with A-ko and C-ko being best friends, and B-ko more than liking C-ko and wanting to steal her from A-ko, and hijinks and battles ensue. And there are also aliens... The plot, and many references in this one are a bit more fun to discover on your own to be honest (A-ko's parents don't show up much, but eyeball them carefully and you might notice they're a bit familiar...)

Bits of A-ko's production are decently known to fans, with a number of people who would become decently known in later years working on it, to the music actually being recorded in Los Angeles in one of the 'better known' mixtures of more direct US elements in an anime before that became known (and the decently known story that before being changed into a movie, early in it's production it began production as part of the Cream Lemon adult OVA series.)

The movie was popular enough among US fans it even had a US comic for a short period of time, and even had additional sizeable extras produced for US releases (the most notable being a commentary with the director.)

A-ko continued on for a few years with 3 sequels, with a spinoff/reboot following that I admit I don't even fully remember it minus the characters being bounty hunters... and it was mostly just character designs...

And the story and legends of what happened to the film stock for the movie, seemingly stopping a proper HD remaster from ever happening, continue to this day (lost when a studio shut down, burnt up in flames, etc.)

The movie doesn't have any significant cast connections to Digimon, but two people who worked on Digimon much later worked as animators on it...
Koji Ito did key animation for Project A-ko. He was the animation character designer for tri., along with doing key animation.
Kenichi Ohnuki did key animation for Project A-ko. For Appmon he was the character designer.

I've embedded a trailer below as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Week 1- NG Knight Lamune & 40
Week 2- Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie
Week 3- City Hunter
Week 4- Little Nemo

Prior Leadups
Second Leadup, To Kizuna (and Adventure:)

First Leadup, To tri.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I found Project A-ko to be one of those instances of silliness done right in anime, in contrast to Lamune from earlier in the leadup. I think that probably has something to do with its being aimed at adults rather than kids. Adult anime, because of the fewer constraints placed on them, seem to be more likely to get away with silliness, just as they're more likely to get watchable dubs. Speaking of which, I was a little confused by the opening scene being in English, especially since the English was pronounced properly. I thought I might be watching a dub by mistake, and yet the dialogue fit the movement of the characters' mouths. That was an odd start. But I enjoyed watching this, and appreciated some of the weird details like every major character being female despite all appearances to the contrary. When watching the fight between A-ko and B-ko, I found myself reminded of Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, which became funnier later on, when we got a glimpse of A-ko's parents. I think I'll check out the sequels sometime.