The Hiatus Leadup Week 2- Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After Lamune, decided to go with something a bit shorter and even more actiony.

Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie

This one can heavily differ in content based on the version you watch (especially if you own an older release and watch that.)
So based on that, potentially blood, nudity, language, etc.

The movie can be watched on the following officially:
Subbed and dubbed on Crunchyroll
Dubbed on tubi
Dubbed on Amazon

All use the uncut version of the video, but I didn't jump around to see what version of the dub may be used (although the dubbed version on tubi uses the Japanese soundtrack, and the version of CR uses the English soundtrack.)

The currently released remaster was done by Discotek before I was there.

The Street Fighter 2 animated movie is an interesting thing, I won't get into the full history of it (because as I mention below, some aspects start to dive more deeply into the games themselves, etc.), but it was 1 of 2 early adaptions of the game series into a film (the other being the well known live action film.)

The animated movie itself is still regarded as one of the better video game to anime (and film) adaptions, ranking high in it's release in both Japan and the US. In fact, various bits from the movie bled into the games (fans of Street Fighter Alpha will notice a decent amount of visuals Alpha is known for, despite this predating the game.)

The film does fit in Capcom's love in the early years of the franchise of trying to fit in 'everyone', whether it was a good idea or not, but a number of appearances come across more as extended cameos, or working as secondary characters, rather than in the live action movie where everyone had to have some sort of more coherent part.

The action in the film is well choreographed and has some excellent weight behind the moves, and the film just 'looks' nice.

Due to the high interest in Street Fighter, the film has reappeared many times in the 25+ years it's been out, often with little tweaks based on how it would be released, with 2 different soundtracks that both actually fit the film reasonably well. Based on those release methods, alternative versions of the dub might be used with differing degrees of language (with one version made with extra cursing based on old UK anime marketing.)

It's kind of amazing how early (comparatively) this came out in game to film adaptions and how it's basically still near the tip top.

The show has a number of Digimon connections, especially on the English side, so just doing a few from each (and in the case of the dub, just doing 2, both of whom had recent birthdays):
Kaneto Shiozawa was Vega in the movie. For Digimon he was the original voice of Devimon from Adventure.
Ginzo Matsuo was DJ in the movie. He was TonosamaGekomon in both Adventure and 02, along with Wataru in the first Tamers movie.
Chikao Ohtsuka plays an old scientist helping with evil things in the movie. Digimon fans would know him as both Piemon and Apocalymon in Adventure.

Steve Blum played T. Hawk in the movie. Along with handing ADR scripts for 02, Tamers, and Frontier, he's voiced many Digimon, including Guilmon, Growlmon, WarGrowlmon, Megidramon, Gallantmon, Gigimon, BlackWargreymon, Flamedramon, Raidramon, Magnamon, Beetlemon, MetalKabuterimon, Falcomon, Peckmon, Crowmon, and Ravemon.
Richard Epcar played E. Honda. His Digimon roles included Etemon and Myotismon in Adventure, Mephistomon in the Tamers movie, Merukimon in Data Squad, and Tuwarmon in Fusion.

I've embedded a trailer as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Week 1- NG Knight Lamune & 40

Prior Leadups
Second Leadup, To Kizuna (and Adventure:)

First Leadup, To tri.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good old street fighter, it's so cool that it's still going strong today. HADOUKEN!!!

Leoil01

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I recommend mix master king of cards and final force it is in the monster tamer genre same as digimon

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I need the old dub soundtrack to watch this one!
Lots of memories with this title! My first "grown up anime"
I rented this as a kid and watched it on low volume in the basement because it had for adults only on the cover. It had the game characters on the cover but I didnt know what they were implying by adults only but assumed there was lots of nudity and swears and I was so scared I'd get in trouble. Luckily for my innocent mind it was edited ((censored)) and I think I ended up renting it so much I wore it out, I thought it was so cool!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Did I see this? ...Or was that the V anime. It might have been that. But they never did do this much after 2 did they? I remember some live action stuff though.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked this movie. I've never played the Street Fighter games or had anything to do with their various adaptations, but naturally I'm somewhat familiar with it through pop-culture osmosis, and more recently through Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. So I liked seeing the familiar characters in action, so to speak. The whole shooting fireballs thing is kind of goofy for a game allegedly based on street fighting, but it's fun, and it works for what it is. I don't know if I'll want to watch more of the Street Fighter anime, but I'm now considering it. Aside from the quality of the movie itself, I'm glad that it was available on Crunchyroll and not Netflix, so that we got the choice of either watching the dub or watching the original with accurate subtitles. As I often do with movies I watch on Crunchyroll, I went through some of the comments afterwards, and smiled at all the people complaining that they got some names wrong. It's like they were watching with the sound off.