The Future of Digimon as a Franchise

Leoil01

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally, I'm pretty in favor of the more traditional system myself*. However, Bandai's taking it a bit too far in the other direction by acting like Adventure is all that matters, as if other well-loved segments of the franchise don't exist.

*Just to elaborate further, I hardly hate Armor evolution as a concept, but in execution, it just seems to have served as a way to introduce a bunch of glorified Adults with (for the most part) dead-end evolution chains. Spirits are a similarly item-based evolution, where its main gimmick of humans utilizing them only really worked in one piece of media (though its progression system is surprisingly straight-forward, even if all of them can only ever end in Susanoomon). DigiXros/Xros-Up was just a needlessly complicated attempt at ditching levels completely while introducing a crapton of one-scene composite Digimon that aren't really worth remembering (not to mention that they have the design philosophy of a Pokemon Fusion Generator as opposed to Jogress Evolution). Can't really speak on Appmon, but from what I know they seem to just be an offshoot of the traditional system (straight-forward stage progression, just isn't compatible with the existing system for whatever reason). X Digimon are simply variations of existing Digimon (or in rarer cases, original Digimon that simply have that designation, like DORUmon). You might have a same-level mutation between the two variants, but for the most part, it's pretty straight-forward.
Appmon works like fusion but the end result is the next level like agumon+tentomon = greymon

GoldenEXP

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wonder what the reboot of Digimon Adventure into the current Adventure 2020 series means on Bandai's end. There were quite a few directions they could've gone in, had they really wanted to produce a new anime:
  • Make a sequel to another series, like Tamers for instance which was hinted at with that CD drama but never actually happened
  • Reboot one of the other series
  • Adapt from the other media like the games (e.g Cyber Sleuth) or manga (e.g V-Tamer), which doesn't necessarily have to follow their storylines to a tee
  • Create an entirely new series that's unrelated to any of their other properties
Did they really feel that no other option in terms of producing an anime series was better? That rebooting Adventure was their best chance to make money on the animation side?
i think they just wanna have a new beggining that would be able to bring a new audience but not push the old one too much. And honestly? so far its been working.
In fact, the most complaints ive seen so far on Adventure 2020 is how its *not* fully nostalgia trip ( people sayin "wow no butterfly/brave heart?" or talking about how omegamon worked in the old series and how the new one isnt like that)
Last year they prolly had a long meeting about the future of the franchise, which is why this year has been feelin like its packed with new digimon content to come. On the anime division, they most likely figured that a reboot would be best, cause you dont need to know the old series to watch, but you still can have people who used to watch the og show give it a go.

Also as someone who disliked tri, i dont want them touchin tamers, frontier or savers with the sequel series treatment.

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least Spirit was easy to retcon to Champion -> Ultiamte -> Mega -> Ultra provided you pretend Aldamon and BeoWulfmon don't exist. (also Flamemon and Strabimon for Rookie)
Really, I'd just see KaizerGreymon/MagnaGarurumon as being alternative Ultimates to the fused Hybrid forms (and I guess the Ancient forms, for that matter). Though I will say, I always figured that Human and Beast Spirits, like Armors, were meant to work more like equivalents to one another. But I guess Hacker's Memory converting Humans to Adults and Beasts to Perfects is fine (Beasts were pretty much portrayed as the stronger Spirits in the anime anyway, and it's not like they can't just make having both Spirits on hand be an evolution requirement to evolve the Beast into a Fusion/Transcendent Hybrid). Though, I do feel a bit remiss that the game recognizes Armor as its own level, and even gives Shoutmon and OmegaShoutmon no level (even though they clearly act like a Child and Ultimate respectively in-game), yet Hybrids seem to have lost their unique status, apparently (but then again, I guess they're called "Hybrids" in the first place because of their human basis, even though the evil Hybrids were called that too).

Also as someone who disliked tri, i dont want them touchin tamers, frontier or savers with the sequel series treatment.
I'd be inclined to agree IF they don't have Chiaki back on board.

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally, I'm pretty in favor of the more traditional system myself*. However, Bandai's taking it a bit too far in the other direction by acting like Adventure is all that matters, as if other well-loved segments of the franchise don't exist.

*Just to elaborate further, I hardly hate Armor evolution as a concept, but in execution, it just seems to have served as a way to introduce a bunch of glorified Adults with (for the most part) dead-end evolution chains. Spirits are a similarly item-based evolution, where its main gimmick of humans utilizing them only really worked in one piece of media (though its progression system is surprisingly straight-forward, even if all of them can only ever end in Susanoomon). DigiXros/Xros-Up was just a needlessly complicated attempt at ditching levels completely while introducing a crapton of one-scene composite Digimon that aren't really worth remembering (not to mention that they have the design philosophy of a Pokemon Fusion Generator as opposed to Jogress Evolution). Can't really speak on Appmon, but from what I know they seem to just be an offshoot of the traditional system (straight-forward stage progression, just isn't compatible with the existing system for whatever reason). X Digimon are simply variations of existing Digimon (or in rarer cases, original Digimon that simply have that designation, like DORUmon). You might have a same-level mutation between the two variants, but for the most part, it's pretty straight-forward.
Appmon works like fusion but the end result is the next level like agumon+tentomon = greymon
Or to put it simply, Jogress/DNA Digivolution but used for each Appmon Grade.

And while some DigiXrosses can be treated as Jogresses (e.g. Greymon + MailBirdramon → MetalGreymon), others do not and would be treated as Fusions that result in Unidentified/Unknown Level Digimon (e.g. Shoutmon X4 + Knightmon & Pawn Chessmons → Shoutmon X4K or any Armament DigiXrosses).

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There certainly isn't a shortage of ideas for new anime. Hell, I recall there being quite a bit of demand for an adaptation of Cyber Sleuth, to say nothing of the various manga series (it was nice to see Hacker's Memory shine a bit of relevance onto V-Tamer after so long). Tamers's 20th anniversary is coming up too, and while not quite at Adventure's levels of popularity, that seems to have been pretty well-loved too (at least among long-time fans of the franchise). But really, more than anything, I'd just like to see the anime (and the entire franchise for that matter) just move on from fucking Adventure already. But given the new series' projected broadcast, it looks like we're gonna be waiting another year on that at least.

Make up for Pokémon’s failings. Simple as that. One thing that would be needed is a transfer feature like Pal Park for future Story games, allowing players to bring in their legacy Digimon.
I'd love to see Digimon games incorporate cross-compatibility. Hell, unlike Pokemon, it doesn't even need to be one-way transfers since we live in an era where downloads and on-system data (and online-only mobile apps...... I'd prefer if they avoided that route) can be quite prevalent in keeping past games up-to-date ('course, Pokemon doesn't really need to make it one-way transfers either, especially after the release of Bank, but I guess they gotta shill out their current shit somehow). Honestly, I was kinda hoping Hacker's Memory would take this sort of build-on expansion approach, but it just turned out to be a compilation game with a simple save-transfer in the end (with the international version just axing the Cyber Sleuth portion completely, though the complete version would eventually come to the Switch). That's one way to eventually build towards a game with "every" Digimon on it (no matter how many years it takes, I'm so rooting for Habu on this).
Perhaps even linking between the raising-oriented “World” series and the “Story” series, to unite connoisseurs of both camps?
It also seems like the time is ripe for a more conventional Digimon fighting game to come into being...

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There certainly isn't a shortage of ideas for new anime. Hell, I recall there being quite a bit of demand for an adaptation of Cyber Sleuth, to say nothing of the various manga series (it was nice to see Hacker's Memory shine a bit of relevance onto V-Tamer after so long). Tamers's 20th anniversary is coming up too, and while not quite at Adventure's levels of popularity, that seems to have been pretty well-loved too (at least among long-time fans of the franchise). But really, more than anything, I'd just like to see the anime (and the entire franchise for that matter) just move on from fucking Adventure already. But given the new series' projected broadcast, it looks like we're gonna be waiting another year on that at least.

Make up for Pokémon’s failings. Simple as that. One thing that would be needed is a transfer feature like Pal Park for future Story games, allowing players to bring in their legacy Digimon.
I'd love to see Digimon games incorporate cross-compatibility. Hell, unlike Pokemon, it doesn't even need to be one-way transfers since we live in an era where downloads and on-system data (and online-only mobile apps...... I'd prefer if they avoided that route) can be quite prevalent in keeping past games up-to-date ('course, Pokemon doesn't really need to make it one-way transfers either, especially after the release of Bank, but I guess they gotta shill out their current shit somehow). Honestly, I was kinda hoping Hacker's Memory would take this sort of build-on expansion approach, but it just turned out to be a compilation game with a simple save-transfer in the end (with the international version just axing the Cyber Sleuth portion completely, though the complete version would eventually come to the Switch). That's one way to eventually build towards a game with "every" Digimon on it (no matter how many years it takes, I'm so rooting for Habu on this).
Perhaps even linking between the raising-oriented “World” series and the “Story” series, to unite connoisseurs of both camps?
It also seems like the time is ripe for a more conventional Digimon fighting game to come into being...
Digimon ArcSys game when? 👀

Azure Beast

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy crap!! i was just playing BlazBlue and making the move lists for some of the digimon.Now i really want an ArcSystem digimon game but with the same engine as the new guilty gear.That would be awesome. I also think that the gameplay of the Tales of series would REALLY fit digimon.

Last edited:

Calanthe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My thoughts on this is that Digimon is going the route of Ultraman. While there are still releases every year, they mostly go unnoticed or ignored by most. Pokemon on the other hand can be compared to Godzilla — classic that still returns to audiences even though it's clearly losing its relevance. The whole point of Pokemon/Godzilla is nostalgia. Digimon/Ultraman on the other hand devolved into a closed cult following. My two cents.

What I think could bring Digimon back is two things: Digimon Survive which is based on the anime. And a vpet emulator of sorts that: further improves upon the 20th anniversary version, given free as a phone app, adding new features, doing away with the old 16x16 pixels and updating it for modern updated feel.

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My thoughts on this is that Digimon is going the route of Ultraman. While there are still releases every year, they mostly go unnoticed or ignored by most. Pokemon on the other hand can be compared to Godzilla — classic that still returns to audiences even though it's clearly losing its relevance. The whole point of Pokemon/Godzilla is nostalgia. Digimon/Ultraman on the other hand devolved into a closed cult following. My two cents.

What I think could bring Digimon back is two things: Digimon Survive which is based on the anime. And a vpet emulator of sorts that: further improves upon the 20th anniversary version, given free as a phone app, adding new features, doing away with the old 16x16 pixels and updating it for modern updated feel.
Funnily enough, the Xros Loader toy has most of the things you mentioned. Though it's attached to a generally lukewarm-received series and loathed one, so unsure if Bandai will ever try to bother attempting something that ambiguous again.

Edit: That being said however, it would be great if they treated the new V-Pet/Digivice toy as basically a modern version of the Tiny Chao Garden feature but with more expanded minigames!

Calanthe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Funnily enough, the Xros Loader toy has most of the things you mentioned. Though it's attached to a generally lukewarm-received series and loathed one, so unsure if Bandai will ever try to bother attempting something that ambiguous again.

Edit: That being said however, it would be great if they treated the new V-Pet/Digivice toy as basically a modern version of the Tiny Chao Garden feature but with more expanded minigames!
Sorry, I don't follow anything of what you've said. I'm only aware of the first and second generation of digidestined kids from the anime, the tri films where these kids returned and vpets up to Pendulum. You see that even among digimon fans, many of us don't follow half of the franchise. It's sad. I'm sorry for not being enough of a man
of culture!

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy crap!! i was just playing BlazBlue and making the move lists for some of the digimon.Now i really want an ArcSystem digimon game but with the same engine as the new guilty gear.That would be awesome. I also think that the gameplay of the Tales of series would REALLY fit digimon.
ArcSys seem like a good pick for the developers. Though I do want some NRS elements in there, story-wise.

InwGabumon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think digimon adventure 2020 aims to recruit a new generation fans and retaining the older; and there will be more new generation of digimon products and toys coming out to the market. As you may know, digimon toy like pendulum 20th contains English digimon names hidden within JP limited version; it implies that Bandai has prepared to release the devices on US market like vpet 20th wave1-2 for example.

Calanthe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think digimon adventure 2020 aims to recruit a new generation fans and retaining the older; and there will be more new generation of digimon products and toys coming out to the market. As you may know, digimon toy like pendulum 20th contains English digimon names hidden within JP limited version; it implies that Bandai has prepared to release the devices on US market like vpet 20th wave1-2 for example.
Then better yet. If they want new fans, at least update the two-dimensional 16x16 pixels for modernity. We are living in times with 3d printing and where even anime have 3d models. The new fans are not going to wow over 16x16 pixels like the nostalgic older fans (of whom I am one).

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Then better yet. If they want new fans, at least update the two-dimensional 16x16 pixels for modernity. We are living in times with 3d printing and where even anime have 3d models. The new fans are not going to wow over 16x16 pixels like the nostalgic older fans (of whom I am one).
Well in reality, I'm pretty sure said old fans are basically the only ones buying them in the first place. It's like Pokemon Sword and Shield - Bandai put the effort in they do as the fans are buying them anyway