The Future of Digimon as a Franchise

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They push out a game every year with very little content and now they've removed most Pokemon. The series is so successful they don't need to put in effort as they'll sell 20 million a year matter what. They keep cutting content yet keep getting high scores and sales. If Digimon suddenly became that successful they could half ass all their games too. Pokemon has discovered they can push out mediocre content and have their fans defend it, because of such strong brand loyalty. Digimon has to put out good content as much as possible because it'll effect them if they have a terrible game.

Hackers memory vs Pokemon ultra sun is a relevant example. Hackers was constantly shit on for reusing too much content even tho it has 100 new dudes and a new story. Ultra was the exact same game with a few new alternate forms and attacks etc and was highly praised. Get to that level of success and you don't have to put out good content.
Didn't know about Hacker Memory being hated. I know about some reused things but 100 additional digimons made it fun to play.

To Pokemon, yup pretty much of it. Cloning and redesign Pokemon generations although if it wasn't meant to be on intentions but even villian organizations to wear silly costumes.... It does look very fun to look at new Pokemon monsters but when it comes to playing the games, I really don't... Feel like it. It's like... I knew what to do. There, simple as that. It became robotic chores to perform tasks to raise. There is no "Caring" by interacting with them to feel or raise... I'm not even favoring shinies or selecting movesets to manipulate for four slots to learn or other methods that takes efforts to do.

I collected every single Digimon to max in Cyber Sleuth series to enjoy their special attack animations and use them for drawing purposes from taking screenshots of their models. 2D or 3D models doesn't matter as long as Digimon games have to introduce certain unused Digimon ones and newer ones so I can play to see how they do. If it's RPG-like genre, I simply buy it and enjoy looking at their animations in any ways. If it's Tamer Raising genre, I surely have to put efforts in raising which I find it very fun to raise under pressures. In Pokemon games, there is nothing to admire at or raise with care... I guess I lost my touch already.

Obviously I think it's mini game to raise/feed/toilet time under strict conditions and being pressured to take care of part is the Digimon's strongest trait. Easily, having desired strongest Digimon partner is kinda Stress Reliever? I guess? Careful play is favored maybe?

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They push out a game every year with very little content and now they've removed most Pokemon. The series is so successful they don't need to put in effort as they'll sell 20 million a year matter what. They keep cutting content yet keep getting high scores and sales. If Digimon suddenly became that successful they could half ass all their games too. Pokemon has discovered they can push out mediocre content and have their fans defend it, because of such strong brand loyalty. Digimon has to put out good content as much as possible because it'll effect them if they have a terrible game.

Hackers memory vs Pokemon ultra sun is a relevant example. Hackers was constantly shit on for reusing too much content even tho it has 100 new dudes and a new story. Ultra was the exact same game with a few new alternate forms and attacks etc and was highly praised. Get to that level of success and you don't have to put out good content.
The very fact that people even recognize that there's a "situation" is intriguing. You'd think a portion of the fans are aware of this too. Perhaps at some point maybe it'll come back to bite Pokemon in the long run, but that's for another day. Digimon isn't even close to that level of brand success yet anyway...

--------

As a general question: is there anything Digimon needs to do as a franchise to keep growing its fanbase and revenue? Other than rolling out quality anime/games?

Also, if new anime aren't successful... won't Adventure pretty much be forced to continue being the cash cow for Bandai going forward?

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like most Digimon games were half-assed, with the wild xception of World 1 and the Smash clones, until about Digimon Story 1.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with Muur completely on the pokemon case, but let's not compare gamefreak with other companies.

They are by far the most laziest company but the most successful we know of, the pokemon name alone sells stuff.

I feel like most Digimon games were half-assed, with the wild xception of World 1 and the Smash clones, until about Digimon Story 1.
Disagree with this 200%.

Video games > manga > anime, when it comes to digimon.

Digimon anime is one of the most poopiest thing that I have ever watched as an series.

The first one adventure the most popular one does not even explain anything, just some random boring kids made it to some random world, the anime dont bother exploring anything apart from some evil digimon wating rule over both worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whether Digimon does well or not, they'll always go back to Adventure. They say this will be the "last adventure", but the 25th anniversary will be soon enough ;)

Pokemon is the highest selling franchise of all time, and they spam Kanto... so yeah.

Vaioumon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can agree with the notion of digimon games after the PS1 era feeling half-assed. I like most of them, don't get me wrong, but the majority of them are made for mobile systems (psp/vita/ds/3ds), and even further have been made with a really small scale. I remember people remarking on the really small file sizes for the past bunch.

Now, that obviously doesn't speak for the quality of the franchise as a whole, but it does mean that the video games are mostly banking on people who are already enamored with Digimon rather than trying to attract people by being an amazing gameplay experience. I wonder if they just don't feel like it'd be worth the effort to try to make a larger game. I know they said the next Story is being "made for PS4" instead of being a port from the Vita, but they said that for God Eater 3 too, and well...

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The 2(3) I got on the DS was fun enough. The mobile one we have right now take a good while to even just do the daily events, much less do the story. And it does PS1 levels of loading screens. But I do like Herrismon and the new humans.

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I live in a country where Digimon is long dead. Many people do not know that new series are still coming out. Only a small percentage of people know the games and are often fans rather than random players. And what is V-Pet? Not to mention that Digimon is a toy anime.

These people only know Adventure. And that's alpha and omega for them.

But everyone knows Pokémon. In the past, fans complained that Digimon was little publicized. Pikachu under the bed, pikachu in the bathroom, pikachu on the couch... one is afraid to look in the fridge if there is also Pikachu.

Digimon, on the other hand, is something like a shadow that lives its life mostly thanks to fans. So as long as people are interested in Digimon and want new things, it will have a future.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hopefully it never dies, it seems like it has gotten abit more attention as of late.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is part of the data. Data in the internet. Data is all eternity!

I think I feel I can say Digimon is basically hibernating after coming in so strong with great sale taking the risk-or-nothing crash route every time.
Not sure what if my words are incorrect for explaining of Digimon's current situation.

Oh well relax. Digimon is the internet's strong point in fact, Bandai seemed to know using the internet and twitter for advantages. Even it was pointed out fan votes got Cyber Sleuth series globalized along with Links/ReArise So... Yeah it's sorta like surveillance. I hope Bandai have to think outside of the box and portals for ensuring Digimon's popularity strong.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be honest I think the future of Digimon as franchise will heavily focus on games...as for anime I have a feeling that they are running out of ideas for fresh digimon seasons...
I disagree tbh i would love to see a new season of digimon. They have the reboot on the way which isn't totally new but its something. I think they still have plenty of ideas they are creating games left and right so I'm sure the could create some new series stuff. I will definitely watch whats gonna come next.
Hopefully it never dies, it seems like it has gotten abit more attention as of late.
Digimon will never die it's loved all around the world. Some people don't get how big it actually is.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Running out of ideas? ...I have 3 of them they could possible do. Real easy. But really though, they could figure something out.

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The very fact that people even recognize that there's a "situation" is intriguing. You'd think a portion of the fans are aware of this too. Perhaps at some point maybe it'll come back to bite Pokemon in the long run, but that's for another day. Digimon isn't even close to that level of brand success yet anyway...

--------

As a general question: is there anything Digimon needs to do as a franchise to keep growing its fanbase and revenue? Other than rolling out quality anime/games?

Also, if new anime aren't successful... won't Adventure pretty much be forced to continue being the cash cow for Bandai going forward?
Make up for Pokémon’s failings. Simple as that. One thing that would be needed is a transfer feature like Pal Park for future Story games, allowing players to bring in their legacy Digimon.