The design of most angel type Digimon

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe Ofanimon's design got Seraphim for female version of Seraphimon and Cherubim for 4 faces of statue emblems on her helmet because having a wheel with eyes isn't easy to design into a digimon?

Just thinking now.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They could have made the Three Great Angels really monstrous if they’d followed the biblical descriptions.
I'm pretty sure Kenji Watanabe has flat out said that Digimon are not supposed to be 1:1 representations of the myths they're based on:
Kenji Watanabe said:
I thought having Digimon be monsters that were formed by taking data from various ‘mythologies’ or ‘animals’ was a nice idea. However, if I followed their mythological descriptions too closely, I’d just end up with something that looks like the designs already in other media out there.

And the Three Great Angels do have some elements of their namesakes such as Seraphimon's armor completely covering him just as you can't see a Seraph's form under its wing, Ophanimon having wheel shaped spauders with the X-Antibody giving her rings that wrap around her shoulder lances as well the wheel she stands on and finally Cherubimon being the more bestial of the three to match how beastly Cherubs are.

I imagine the way to make Seraphimon X would be to set him on fire under his armor.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seraphimon X on fire under armor? Sounds like it's Seraphimon Core.

Oddly Cherubimon X (both forms) got so metallic instead of growing so angelic fluffy or more beastly like Lopmon X.

But good thing Ofanimon (& Falldown Mode) X got floating wheels yet no freak extra eyes added.

Even with Kenji's interview, Mephismon X happened. :/

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What does Mephistomon X have to do with anything? Mephistopheles was described as a humanoid man in the Faust legend, not a skull headed Baphomet.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mephismon X's altered appearance is pretty much closely to that lore picture while Kenji is sticking with what he said in that interview instead of following too closely to those "monstrous" angels which annoyed me.

To my view, devil and evil digimon easily get away with anything in Digimon and angel/holy doesn't, due to obvious reasons...

Just saying devils and angels on same coins or something like that but designing up too much Human-like/humanoid Angel type digimon only only making it bad for Angel types. Imagine all 100% Angel types are "Human" excluding Cherubimon/Rasielmon and others while there are more cooler and rad monster designs. Do you feel like it's too boring to favorite or look at? Yeah? Devil digimon species in design have too much freedom to draw. I have concerns for Angel types... It's fine to include Holy Beast or other types but still I can feel they avoid being involved with Angels unlike Bayonetta... In short, we will never see monstrous Angel Types for sure. It could fit too well into Digimon's "fashion sense"

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Except Baphomet doesn't have a skull head or flaming eyes nor does it wear the outfit Mephistomon X does, even classic Mephistomon isn't 1:1 with Baphomet either because of its coloration and proportions. Like they bare enough of a resemblance to Baphomet to indicate that they are based on it but there are creative liberties taken, the big one being that they are named after a different being altogether.

I also feel like you're overlooking the context of these designs since nearly all Angel Digimon apart from Cherubimon and Rasielmon directly Digivolve from either Angemon and/or Angewomon (namely Seraphimon and Ophanimon) since they and MagnaAngemon are your only options for Adult and Perfect level Angel Digimon whereas demonic Digimon tend to be fully independent of Devimon and LadyDevimon.

Even in the beginning you had Vilemon for Adult and SkullSatamon for Perfect with Boogiemon, Mephistomon and Phelesmon being added as options early on and later Astamon and Baalmon.

And then there's story issues: Apart from the Seven Great Demon Lords and the 02 exclusive Daemon Corps, demonic digimon aren't known to work together in the lore and even the Demon Lords themselves usually don't meddle in each other's affairs, neither cooperating or becoming hostile with each other regardless of their interests or disagreements making them less of a united group and more seven beings that are simply on equal footing with each other.

By contrast according to Digital Monster Card Game - Starter Ver. 6: Advent of the Three Great Angels:
The Three Great Angels were created to face the rebellious Son of God, Lucemon. When he descended to the Ancient Digital World and instigated a conflict between good and evil, God divided three of its own aspects and gave one to each of his three apostles, The Three Great Angels, who would be in charge of directing God's Army in order to fight against all the Fallen Angel digimon. These three apostles were: the highest ranking among the "Male Angel" digimon, who became the absolute guardian of the order and justice of God, Seraphimon; the database who holds the vast knowledge of God, Cherubimon, who is also the highest ranking among the "Holy Beast" digimon; and, embodying the deep love of God, the symbol of the existence of the Female Angels, Ofanimon. It is said that Lucemon's abilities have now been inherited and split among the Three Great Angels.
Note that in Frontier somewhat uses this storyline as Seraphimon and Ophanimon were responsible for the care of the Human Tribe Digimon while Cherubimon cared for the Beast Tribe.

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm? I don't remember there was extra info on Starter Ver 6. All I remembered are the cover and Starter Ver 6 cards. Where did this came from?

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I already recorded a video for my channel regarding this matter, a few interesting things is that even thought seraphimon is the one based on the seraphims, angemon is a little bit more exact to the seraphims because of his eyes covered and his 6 wings(seraphimon has more than 6 wings)

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I already recorded a video for my channel regarding this matter, a few interesting things is that even thought seraphimon is the one based on the seraphims, angemon is a little bit more exact to the seraphims because of his eyes covered and his 6 wings(seraphimon has more than 6 wings)
Goddramon is ironically the closest thing to a biblical Seraph in Digimon.

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Goddramon is ironically the closest thing to a biblical Seraph in Digimon.
I think it looks more like a djinn to me, also the biblical seraphs had feet to cover with their wings i think

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They could have made the Three Great Angels really monstrous if they’d followed the biblical descriptions.
You mean like Sakkakomon?

wasn't there an interview where Kenji Watanabe also stated that he tried to avoid giving eyes to some designs in the earlier years when designing Digimon like Kabuterimon as digital lifeforms do not need eyes to see and that that's more of a real world concept?
I am actually not a big fan of the idea that nothing about their physical apparence has an effect on their abilities. So basically all those wing, claws and eyes might as well not be there because they don't effect any of the digimons abilities.

But at least Kabuterimon has small holes in his helmet shaped shell so I can imagine there being eyes behind those. Also unlike Devimon his wings are not filled with impractical holes.

Last edited: