The Data Squad Nod to Izzy.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jeff posted the following at Adventures in Anime. I'm posting it on his autorisation here.

Now I want to preface this with saying the following isn’t what definitely happened in the series, but it’s what I think could have happened, and so I wrote and directed it with this in mind. Also, in no way did I change the premise from what the original creators intended. This was just something I interpreted on my own. So I cast one particular actress in one particular role to satisfy my creative urge, and open up the possibilities of interpretation.

If you noticed in the last episodes of Digimon Data Squad, Mona Marshall played the voice for the computer version of King Drasil. Mona also played the computer genius Izzy in the first two seasons of Digimon, which I directed in addition to this recent fifth season. I never worked on seasons 3 & 4, but I had heard that season 3's plot line involved the first two seasons turning out to be actual TV shows that the new characters watched.

So, in pure Digimon style, I’d like to imagine that since all the characters, digimon, and story lines from Digimon Data Squad were unrelated to any other season of Digimon (for instance, in seasons 1 & 2 Agumon was the same, but in Digimon Data Squad he was a different Agumon, in a different universe), that in “reality,” all of Digimon Data Squad was nothing more than a computer program created by Izzy. Since Izzy’s universe was all I knew of Digimon, and I didn’t work on Tamers, this is my nod to the creators of Digimon.

So the way I imagined it, in the Digimon future, conflict erupts between humans and digimon, and the two worlds declare war on each other. Looking for an end to the fighting, Izzy creates his own computer program, a mini cyber-universe, that runs on its own, to see if one day, humans and digimon in his program can figure out how to live together in peace. He intends to use the results in his own world if he’s successful. But it ends up the same, time and time again, with the two sides destroying each other. So Izzy keeps rebooting the system and starts the experiment over again in a new virtual universe. However this time something fascinating happens; some digimon and humans in the program actually team up to try to stop Izzy from rebooting. Izzy sees this as the break through he’s been waiting for, so he stops his plans to re-boot, and he let’s the program run a little longer to see what they do next in order to live together in peace.

Again, I’m not saying this happened, and I’m not saying this is what the creators planned, but I’m just saying, by having Izzy’s voice coming out of the computerized King Drasil, then perhaps it’s not too far a stretch to imagine the scenario I interpreted. By the way, did you notice that every form of King Drasil was voiced with a computerized sounding effect, hinting that in the end, he might be a computer himself? Next time you watch the series, pay closer attention to the dialogue when they talk about King Drasil. He lives in the Server Tree, which Thomas figures out is a giant computer running the Digital World, etc., etc. The hints of a conspiracy theory are there. I should know; I put them there!

I hope you all enjoyed watching “Digimon Data Squad” as much as I enjoyed making it. –Jeff Nimoy

Thoughts without nasty comments welcome.

Orochi

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That big blue room with the really bright light
Jeff Nimoy, you're fucking brilliant!

Although, if I recall correctly, wasn't the whole "Adventure was a TV show" thing in Tamers a dub invention?

Nevertheless, it still doesn't change the fact that I love Nimoy's imagined scenario.

CloneWarrior

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Jeff Nimoy]
By the way, did you notice that every form of King Drasil was voiced with a computerized sounding effect, hinting that in the end, he might be a computer himself? Next time you watch the series, pay closer attention to the dialogue when they talk about King Drasil. He lives in the Server Tree, which Thomas figures out is a giant computer running the Digital World, etc., etc. The hints of a conspiracy theory are there. I should know; I put them there!
[/quote]

Wait, wasn't Yggdrasil a computer already in the original?

Tohma said the exact same thing about the World Tree in episode 46...

takayusyaoran

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I rather like this idea. Koushirou being Yggdrasil.
It's a real fun idea to play with.

Bakuryu Asuka

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For some odd reason, I can imagine someone actually posting that on Wikipedia as the truth. In 3..2...1...

Ofcourse it only works in the Dub. And wouldn' t it reduce the Characters to mere programs? Some AIs Koushiro just wrote?
Sure, that is how Digimon started out in Tamers, but would they really have the level of sentience?

And would that mean that Koushiro based Masaru on Taichi, Touma on Yamato and Yoshino on Mimi?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Bakuryu Asuka link=topic=10808.msg135130#msg135130 date=1225744215]
Ofcourse it only works in the Dub. And wouldn' t it reduce the Characters to mere programs? Some AIs Koushiro just wrote?
Sure, that is how Digimon started out in Tamers, but would they really have the level of sentience?
[/quote]

err....that's what the vast majority of characters in the first 4 seasons were you know

At least now we have an explanation why the plot often made little to no sense (not Data Squad specifically, Savers/Data Squad)

Was made when Izzy was hungover after that night with Mimi.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, this is clever. It's not true at all but still a funny and clever idea he had.

DigistarDBZ

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's something very St. Elsewhere-ian about that scenario. Data Squad and all of its characters being the product of Koushirou's computer simulations? Tell me I'm not the only one who sees this!

(Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, although it's a tad disturbing to think of the complications of such a scenario. After all, if Reboot taught us anything, is that we could be destroyers of a whole universe of innocent people and we don't even realize it.)

agunimonX001

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I give that props!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, If they were computer programs then wouldn't Digistar and maybe Vande would try to get the Satsuma portion of it. Ha!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome! Jeff Nimoy writes his own fanfiction!

...actually...he should write that up as an *actual* fanfic and enter it at a con (heck, first con I went to, one of the fanfic winners was Tristian McAvery, voice actor of Gendo Ikari. It was, of course, an Eva fic).

This also puts a new spin on Marshall being the voice of the final enemy of Frontier...

And DAMMIT I should not be picturing Izzy as Cyrus (Pokemon DPP) ranting about his ideal world of order and how he'll restart the universe to get it right, should I? Because I am and it's not pleasant.

Orochi

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Blackjack Gabbiani link=topic=10808.msg136298#msg136298 date=1226482726]
This also puts a new spin on Marshall being the voice of the final enemy of Frontier...
[/quote]

Wait, that would mean that Omnitor's fabled puppetmaster was...Izzy!?!?!

*my head asplode*

Note: I know Omnitor was full of shit, but you have to admit, it would be awesomely funny if his oh-so-great "puppetmaster" really was Izzy. XD

Togemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
:eek: Whoa, that's pretty clever.. kudos to Jeff Nimoy.

I actually like this idea, it definitely puts things in a new light for me.

Vande

Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Orochi link=topic=10808.msg136302#msg136302 date=1226486655]
Wait, that would mean that Omnitor's fabled puppetmaster was...Izzy!?!?!

*my head asplode*

Note: I know Omnitor was full of shit, but you have to admit, it would be awesomely funny if his oh-so-great "puppetmaster" really was Izzy. XD
[/quote]

Lucemon's forms were Mona yep. Damn that is one hell of a thought

It would be funny as hell yes, and i'd be cursing for freaking ever

DigistarDBZ

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Blackjack Gabbiani link=topic=10808.msg136298#msg136298 date=1226482726]

And DAMMIT I should not be picturing Izzy as Cyrus (Pokemon DPP) ranting about his ideal world of order and how he'll restart the universe to get it right, should I? Because I am and it's not pleasant.
[/quote]
I don't think that was the case. What I was gathering was that he was trying to find a way to help the Humans and Digimon of his world stop fighting and live in peace. Besides, he would have no clue what he was doing was hurting anyone because hey, a simulation is just a simulation, right?

Well, the thing about the Digital World is that things...well, they tend to gain sentience if you use them often enough, especially to the point that Koushirou supposedly did to try and find his answers. Like I said above, it's ReBoot meets St. Elsewhere, and if the program actually *fought back* against the forced restart, it meant that he'd have to take a step back and wonder if this was the answer he was really looking for.

Besides, Jeff didn't write Frontier, so I think the Izzy=Lucemon connection is purely fan speculation ATM.

Orochi

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=DigistarDBZ link=topic=10808.msg136337#msg136337 date=1226521395]
Besides, Jeff didn't write Frontier, so I think the Izzy=Lucemon connection is purely fan speculation ATM.
[/quote]

Uh...I was actually joking about that. There is no such thing as the "puppetmaster" - it was supposed to be a crack at Omnitor. I wasn't really being serious. >_>;;

DigistarDBZ

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Orochi link=topic=10808.msg136338#msg136338 date=1226521923]
Uh...I was actually joking about that. There is no such thing as the "puppetmaster" - it was supposed to be a crack at Omnitor. I wasn't really being serious. >_>;;
[/quote]
I realize that, though I was under the impression that others in this thread were taking that joke seriously. ^^;

Vande

Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=DigistarDBZ link=topic=10808.msg136339#msg136339 date=1226522095]
I realize that, though I was under the impression that others in this thread were taking that joke seriously. ^^;
[/quote]

...please do not tell me that you were taking me seriously at what i said...

DigistarDBZ

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Vande link=topic=10808.msg136340#msg136340 date=1226524094]
...please do not tell me that you were taking me seriously at what i said...
[/quote]
It was a generalization. -_-;Not directed at anyone in particular.