The biggest problem with Adventure 2020, imo

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just feel people are too married to the old one and went in hating this new series, looking for things to cling onto to bash it.

Most people I know went in with low opinions because they're tired of all the Adventure content. They wanted something new, some variety. Is that wrong?

And despite being one of those people, I actually enjoyed this show for the first quarter or so.

Also, it's a reboot. Comparisons are inevitable. I don't get why people act like it's odd to do that.

This new series' Animation is a lot better than the original series.

So...? This show came out in 2020. It should be better animated than one from '99.

Original animation for attacks in each episode - keeping is fresh, unlike the original - it was all recycled over and over again.

I don't really pay attention to stuff like that, but I'm pretty sure this show reuses animation fairly often.

Music is better - the scores are just mind-blowing!

As is the standard for Digimon. Also, people are mainly complaining about the writing, not the music.

The digimon in this series have a history and weren't manifested to be partnered with the chosen.

With the exception of the Holy Digimon, we know next to nothing about the Digimon's previous lives and it's not looking like we ever will. Yes, they have backstories, but it's such a minor aspect to their characters that it could be removed and little would change..

I would love to know why Agumon and the others cried that time. Not expecting that time.

A lot of people jump and talk about Tai getting spotlight. Who cares! he's the leader and the main character, just like in the original.

How dare people want other characters to do things and get cool scenes in episodes that actually matter to the story.

Why is that a crime?

Just like Ash is for Pokemon and Goku for DBZ.

Pokemon does way better with its characters, but that's a meaningless comparison because these are two very different types of shows.

And Goku doing all that work is a common source of contention for DB too.

In the original Tai and Matt had 3D evolutions while the others didn't.

The 3D evos were always the worst. The animation didn't age well.

People make it seem like these two characters weren't getting special treatment in the original too.

Did the OG show throw out most of the cast to focus almost exclusively on Tai (and also Matt and sometimes TK) for ten-ish episodes? Twice?

The OG wasn't perfect by any means, but I feel it handled its characters a bit better.

And the whataboutism is unneeded, thanks. Just because the original show had problems doesn't excuse the show making the same mistakes, especially worse ones.

SMH I think this series is great and happy that they didn't play it as a full retelling and made it, it's own.

And good for you! You clearly see something in it others don't. But just like you and others are allowed to like the show, other people are allowed to not like it.

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most people I know went in with low opinions because they're tired of all the Adventure content. They wanted something new, some variety. Is that wrong?

And despite being one of those people, I actually enjoyed this show for the first quarter or so.

Also, it's a reboot. Comparisons are inevitable. I don't get why people act like it's odd to do that.
There's a difference here. Comparisons will always be there, but these people are flat-out attacking.

So...? This show came out in 2020. It should be better animated than one from '99.
There are plenty of series from the 90's that animation still holds up. Also, the consistency in this series has been a lot better.
Original animation for attacks in each episode - keeping is fresh, unlike the original - it was all recycled over and over again.
I don't really pay attention to stuff like that, but I'm pretty sure this show reuses animation fairly often.
As I mentioned the attacks aren't used over into another episode. It's not a recycled episode of attacks like the original series. Garurumon jumps and blasts his powers or Birdramon backup into the air and fires her meteor wings or angemon shouting and thrusting his fist into the screen crying heavens knuckle. This series freshly animates attacks in each episode keeping it fresh and new.
Music is better - the scores are just mind-blowing!
As is the standard for Digimon. Also, people are mainly complaining about the writing, not the music.
I'm expressing things that are great about the series and the music and score are amazing as to why I mentioned them.
The digimon in this series have a history and weren't manifested to be partnered with the chosen.
With the exception of the Holy Digimon, we know next to nothing about the Digimon's previous lives and it's not looking like we ever will. Yes, they have backstories, but it's such a minor aspect to their characters that it could be removed and little would change..

I would love to know why Agumon and the others cried that time. Not expecting that time.
The digimon in the series have more personality than the first. They were warriors with a past and in this series aren't just married to their own partners. They actually helped out and express feelings for the other chosen kids with who they are not partnered with. They even go out of their way to protect them and their other fellow chosen digimon friends. Something that was really missing in the original. So I don't see your point here.
A lot of people jump and talk about Tai getting spotlight. Who cares! he's the leader and the main character, just like in the original.
How dare people want other characters to do things and get cool scenes in episodes that actually matter to the story.

Why is that a crime?
There were plenty of cool scenes in the series and well defining moments too. I can name a bunch!
Just like Ash is for Pokemon and Goku for DBZ.
Pokemon does way better with its characters, but that's a meaningless comparison because these are two very different types of shows.

And Goku doing all that work is a common source of contention for DB too.
What? Pokemon better characters? :/ you lost me here. Tai is a central main character that kids relate to. He is the face of Digimon. Regardless, it's him and Agumon that people can centralize with to identify the franchise. Just like Sailor Moon in Sailor moon etc the list goes on and on. People who are not familiar will say" Oh that kid with the goggles and dinosaur.
In the original Tai and Matt had 3D evolutions while the others didn't.
The 3D evos were always the worst. The animation didn't age well.
What's your point here? As I mentioned, Tai and Matt got special treatment in the Original series as well. I'm not referring to 3d not aging well.
Did the OG show throw out most of the cast to focus almost exclusively on Tai (and also Matt and sometimes TK) for ten-ish episodes? Twice?

The OG wasn't perfect by any means, but I feel it handled its characters a bit better.

And the whataboutism is unneeded, thanks. Just because the original show had problems doesn't excuse the show making the same mistakes, especially worse ones.
Throw out what characters? If you believe that's throw out - that's your opinion. There were great moments for each of the characters.
SMH I think this series is great and happy that they didn't play it as a full retelling and made it, it's own.

And good for you! You clearly see something in it others don't. But just like you and others are allowed to like the show, other people are allowed to not like it.
If you don't like it - Why watch it? :) Let me guess to find things to complain about it's not like the old series? no? ;)

Templarmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry for another essay on why the reboot isn’t scratching the itch in the way that I want but it was keeping me up tonight.

Disclaimer: I only watched up to episode 49 since I was watching on Hulu. Partly why I wrote this is because I had the dilemma of finding another way to watch the show and realized I didn’t care enough to pay more for a show that wasn’t really capturing my interest.

So for starters, what made the original Adventure good? Hint: it’s not watching monsters fighting each other. You can get that in lots of other shows. Instead, it’s the character development, the satisfying antagonist arcs, and the mysterious setting.

The first episodes of the original are very formulaic. There’s a baddy of the week and there’s a character challenge of the week tied to a digivolution. Devimon is a pretty basic villain. He’s menacing but doesn’t really have a personality. What makes the beginning watchable and draws in the audience is that the world is mysterious and whimsical. The characters spend a lot of time trying to figure out where they are, why they’re there, and who they are. We the audience are figuring these things out as the characters do. We spend enough time in the digital world that by the time the characters return to the real world, it’s exciting to see how things are different.

It’s pretty incredible how the original juggled 8 characters with their 8 partners. Other series had fewer characters because eight is just way too many to handle and give everyone adequate attention. But somehow the original did it. Each character has a distinct personality with distinct family backgrounds, while also being relatable. I have trouble picking a favorite because I can identify with all of them in some way. And they eventually deal with heavy subject matter that is rare in a kids show. The show starts out with a formulaic character challenge of the week, but later shakes up group dynamics by separating them and introduces conflicts within the group. A big reason why Adventure keeps getting sequels is that these are strong characters and we want to see more of them.

The antagonist arcs strung the plot together and kept the stakes high. While there is a baddy of the week, there is a larger villain that the group is building toward. As I said, Devimon is pretty basic which is fine to start with. Etemon isn’t the greatest but his goofiness at least provides variety. Myotismon is just fantastic and might just be the greatest reason why the original Adventure worked so well. He was clever, charismatic, and threatening. It’s hard to follow him so the quality of the Dark Masters is mixed. Puppetmon is the most interesting out of the four because he actually demonstrated some motivations. And Apocalymon is your requisite final boss who probably could have used more setup. Besides Myotismon, Adventure 02 has better examples of good antagonists with the Digimon Emperor and BlackWarGreymon.

The magic of the original Adventure is always going to be hard to follow or replicate. The digital world is no longer mysterious. Power inflation is always going to be a problem. As digimon become stronger they need a powerful villain, the digimon must get stronger to overcome the villain, and now the digimon need to face an even stronger villain to overcome to keep things interesting, and so on. Mechanically, there is a power ceiling with digimon not going beyond mega, though the original does not actually touch that ceiling. Adventure 02 actually does a pretty good job dealing with all this. They had to come up with creative ways to deal with the power inflation problem and part of that solution was really interesting antagonists as well as new digivolution mechanics. Though it eventually unravels when the power inflation returns and having to follow awesome villains. Tamers succeeded in identifying what made Adventure great and using those elements to tell its own story. The other series were more about the digivolution mechanics and monsters fighting each other.

When the reboot was announced, I was curious about the decision to do so. It’s of course going to have the disadvantage of the audience already knowing who these characters are. Maybe with two decades of hindsight they wanted to update the story with improvements. Maybe they’d have a planned-out storyline that would be more consistent and better paced. As great as the original was, it had its flaws. The progression was uneven with only two digimon getting to mega. The third main antagonist overshadowed the remaining antagonists. I primarily watched each episode to figure out the choices they made to distinguish it from the original. Perhaps it will be different enough for us to learn new things about the characters.

Some of it was promising. It didn’t start out formulaic. The characters aren’t introduced all at once. The digital world is different. There’s real world stakes. There’s some overarching villains. Yet these attempts at replicating the original’s magic were never really successful. The show made choices to distinguish it from the original, but the choices weren’t ever better. They do the real-world stakes thing three times in a row and then give up on that being interesting. The overarching villains aren’t memorable in any way, though I liked the Devimon/Angemon duality thing. None of the characters seem to grow and we aren’t given much about their family backgrounds. The group is frequently split up to keep the group dynamic fresh but there’s hardly any conflict within the group. Turns out they didn’t have much of a plan for an overall storyline. It really is just a lazy attempt at capturing nostalgia. The only thing the show has going for it is that it has monsters fighting each other, which again, I can find elsewhere. Watching monsters I recognized was the only thing that kept me going.

Just had to write this to get it out of my head. I don't watch much anime, but I've become a bit obsessive about storytelling. Digimon has stuck with me because it had better storytelling than any kids show deserved to have. It really irks me what a wasted opportunity this was.

Last edited:

AquaKai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Partly why I wrote this is because I had the dilemma of finding another way to watch the show and realized I didn’t care enough to pay more for a show that wasn’t really capturing my interest.
I don't know if it's a country thing or what, but I can watch it for free on Crunchyroll. I just have to wait a couple of weeks to be sure there's no advertising, but it doesn't bother me being 3 or 4 episodes behind.

Anyway, I feel you. I too think the reboot has many flaws. Many episodes I was just dozing off for how bored I was. I'm watching it nonetheless to see where it's going, but for now it's probably the worst Digimon series I have ever watched (Appmon not counting, never watched it). Even Xros Wars kept me more interested in spite of the DigiXros mechanic.

They should have called it something like: The Implausible Adventures of Taichi and Agumon in Monster World (with Special Appearance of Some Other Children).

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyway, I feel you. I too think the reboot has many flaws. Many episodes I was just dozing off for how bored I was. I'm watching it nonetheless to see where it's going, but for now it's probably the worst Digimon series I have ever watched (Appmon not counting, never watched it). Even Xros Wars kept me more interested in spite of the DigiXros mechanic.
I still think it’s better than Frontier but that isn’t really saying much. Because of the lack of a partnership dynamic you could argue that Frontier is more of an unlicensed Toku Sentai show than a Digimon show.

It’s almost like defending a stale pizza by saying that it was more of a pizza than a pile of wood shavings someone nonsensically named a “pizza”.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The new series has many good points, but the focus on tai is way more than in the original.
But this reboot is still enjoyable and the others are still treated well ( lillymon, angewomon, garudamon...)
But it could be better if taichi let the others appear a bit more.
We can give a final opinion when all the megas appear.
They can still make it very special.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The new series has many good points, but the focus on tai is way more than in the original.
But this reboot is still enjoyable and the others are still treated well ( lillymon, angewomon, garudamon...)
But it could be better if taichi let the others appear a bit more.
We can give a final opinion when all the megas appear.
They can still make it very special.
I find that point to be really funny. We have to do a lot of waiting in the Reboot for stuff to happen.

By focusing more on the overall narrative, they actually made each of the episodes less important than they were before.

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Y'know, with Ghost Game's announcement, it just dawned on me that Adventure: is ending. The show is nearing its climax and we're only just now getting Megas for everyone. We finally got everyone to the same level outside of tri and they're only gonna appear two-three times (at best) before it's done. That's...massively disappointing. I genuinely don't understand why the last 30 or so eps needed to be paced this way.

Last edited:

Imperial

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always thought the idea of all of the 01 Chosen getting Megas to not really be a good outcome. It felt ridiculously special in 01 when they only had WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. There were 7 enemy Megas in that season because that level was close to unheard of. If they all had Megas in that season that would cheapen the drama so much. WarGreymon vs MetalGarurumon might not happen because everyone else could stop them. Matt leaving the group and pretty much taking a good 40% of their power with him really weakened the group.

One of the reasons 01 can never and will never be replicated again is because we know the rules. We now expect Megas. And as Syndrome from the Incredibles said "when everyone is super, no one is." If you look at the latest episode we had GranKuwagamon. And he's a run in the mill monster of the week. 01 always respected the power scaling of megas, but you can't do that if everyone has them. Just like Super Saiyan. Comparing Goku going SSJ1 the first time compared to Goten and Trunks (even Gohan) is ridiculous.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I always thought the idea of all of the 01 Chosen getting Megas to not really be a good outcome. It felt ridiculously special in 01 when they only had WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. There were 7 enemy Megas in that season because that level was close to unheard of. If they all had Megas in that season that would cheapen the drama so much. WarGreymon vs MetalGarurumon might not happen because everyone else could stop them. Matt leaving the group and pretty much taking a good 40% of their power with him really weakened the group.

One of the reasons 01 can never and will never be replicated again is because we know the rules. We now expect Megas. And as Syndrome from the Incredibles said "when everyone is super, no one is." If you look at the latest episode we had GranKuwagamon. And he's a run in the mill monster of the week. 01 always respected the power scaling of megas, but you can't do that if everyone has them. Just like Super Saiyan. Comparing Goku going SSJ1 the first time compared to Goten and Trunks (even Gohan) is ridiculous.
Lv 6s during the Pendulum era weren’t the gods we nearly always now assciate with the level nowadays.

Plesiomon and Gryphomon are just big animals that that scream loudly. Pukumon is just a blowfish that punches things. Boltmon is nothing more than a brute that throws a big axe. Pinocchimon was arguably the weakest of the Dark Masters. Metal Etemon’s original power was just to throw bananas and hope someone trips, the energy manipulation was an invention of the anime.

It’s not really until the 02 era that they become the reality-breaking titans they’re thought of as these days.

educhavez

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know very well how to express it, but honestly this new series doesn't generate anything for me.

With "tri." I had my ups and downs, at times it seemed to me that it had interesting premises and then it annoyed me because I felt that it was ruined. But not now.

The plot of the reboot doesn't make any interesting nor is clear in its development, the characters have had little development (its seems like compared to Taichi, they have little importance), the villains are one more boring than the other, even the battles often feel like filler with flashy lights.

I'd say that the reboot doesn't have soul, essence. Imo.