The biggest problem with Adventure 2020, imo

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I should clarify some of my earlier comments since I was on my way out the door this morning.

I am a huge fan and defender of the original series, to me it was a masterpiece. I wouldn't want anything to tarnish its legacy so when I heard about this reboot I was initially skeptical. I thought 02 was terrible, I have always felt that way. The original cast being sidelined only to be replaced by extremely annoying characters.

I am not against character development and growth but as a fan of animation my whole life anything made today especially in the West is usually hot garbage, down to how its animated. Full of nothing but identity politics and these ridiculous ships, usually of underage characters. People are entitled to their opinions, I don't care enough to engage in any argument about that but when you are so creatively bankrupt that all you can do is reboot everything from the 80s and 90s without showing respect to the original creators and lore, then I have a problem with it. That was my initial fear here but I'm glad it hasn't ruined the franchise. I'm looking at you Fusion and Appmon.

Thankfully what's going on here in the West hasn't affected Japan and that's why manga and anime is dominating the markets right now on every front whereas industries here are burning down.

I love the cast from Adventure, reimagined or the original and if the development and growth of the characters is done in a respectful and organic way I could live with that but I just don't think we need a series full of filler that stretches it out to hundreds of episodes like some that just seem to never die or go away. There are enough shows about human drama and teenage angst.

I'm loving the action and wouldn't mind a little more time for character growth but not saturated with it to the point it becomes boring or rehashes old concepts from the original.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just don't think we need a series full of filler that stretches it out to hundreds of episodes like some that just seem to never die or go away.
Yes, but I don't think anyone here wants that. I think people would be happy with one filler episode. Heck, half an episode of filler would be nice (filler that isn't action). Conversations, exploration, just a bit of silliness! I mean, all they do is fight. They fight, they walk 10 steps and another fight starts. Its not a deal breaker, but I do find it tiring.

Darklabo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah - It does feel like they just added the connection to the real world to act as a way to "up the ante" as well as introduce Takeru and Hikari - which in reality just makes the story feel sorta jumbled, with no single plot feeling fleshed out in any way.
I will say, while I sort of agree with your statement on Devimon, I'll have to refrain from adding anything to that point, since it sounds like you're not entirely caught up.
What I will say, is that I don't dislike the conclusion to the fight with him. They just, yet again, immeddiately continued with the action, making the victory feel hollow.

But like you mentioned, I really damn hope they have to earn their mega's... I don't want to see another unearned evolution...
Taichi goes "Reeee!" and MetalGreymon goes "Shinkaaa!" woops, is that WarGreymon I see? Please no...

Yes you got it, i'm still taking my time to watch the episodes 😅

The old show had the Ultimate forms evolution so meaningfull !!! Remember Metal Greymon struggling and going through his limits to become Metal Greymon or Bidramon becoming Garudamon in one of the most helpless and critical moment against Vandemon
In this season, I didn't feel any emotion in any of those Ultimate evolutions, they are basically holding their digivice, shouting "let's go!!" and that's it..

I really hope they will prove me wrong and do better for the rest of the season 🙏
Even if I agree with you for the most part, the argument of the Perfect Level is kinda irrelevant.

In the OG series, the Perfect Digimon were a big deal because they were the strongest Digimon for the majority of the cast.

Here, we already know that everyone gonna have his Ultimate Level.
MetalGreymon, Garudamon, Zudomon etc... aren’t more important than Greymon, Birdramon, Ikkakumon and the others Adult Levels in Adventure 99.

The critical moments will come with WarGreymon, Hououmon, Vikemon and the Ultimate Level Digimon.

I should clarify some of my earlier comments since I was on my way out the door this morning.

I am a huge fan and defender of the original series, to me it was a masterpiece. I wouldn't want anything to tarnish its legacy so when I heard about this reboot I was initially skeptical. I thought 02 was terrible, I have always felt that way. The original cast being sidelined only to be replaced by extremely annoying characters.

I am not against character development and growth but as a fan of animation my whole life anything made today especially in the West is usually hot garbage, down to how its animated. Full of nothing but identity politics and these ridiculous ships, usually of underage characters. People are entitled to their opinions, I don't care enough to engage in any argument about that but when you are so creatively bankrupt that all you can do is reboot everything from the 80s and 90s without showing respect to the original creators and lore, then I have a problem with it. That was my initial fear here but I'm glad it hasn't ruined the franchise. I'm looking at you Fusion and Appmon.

Thankfully what's going on here in the West hasn't affected Japan and that's why manga and anime is dominating the markets right now on every front whereas industries here are burning down.

I love the cast from Adventure, reimagined or the original and if the development and growth of the characters is done in a respectful and organic way I could live with that but I just don't think we need a series full of filler that stretches it out to hundreds of episodes like some that just seem to never die or go away. There are enough shows about human drama and teenage angst.

I'm loving the action and wouldn't mind a little more time for character growth but not saturated with it to the point it becomes boring or rehashes old concepts from the original.
You’re just nostalgic, the story and the pacing of Adventure 99 were terrible, certainly the worst of the whole series (with Xros Wars II).

With the reboot, well, the pacing is still not good, but at least the story seems interesting.
Too bad that the characters are now kinda bland, when they were the best (and only good ?) thing of the OG show.

Takatom0n

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just don't think we need a series full of filler that stretches it out to hundreds of episodes like some that just seem to never die or go away.
Yes, but I don't think anyone here wants that. I think people would be happy with one filler episode. Heck, half an episode of filler would be nice (filler that isn't action). Conversations, exploration, just a bit of silliness! I mean, all they do is fight. They fight, they walk 10 steps and another fight starts. Its not a deal breaker, but I do find it tiring.
Exactly. No one is asking for a bunch of pointless filler. All we were hoping for was some space for the characters to become more than cardboard cut-outs of the original cast, with none of the redeeming qualities.
So much of the season hasn't really moved the story forward in any meaningful way, and thus could have been time spent on developing the cast.

It's indeed action, and some of it is even good; but it's not a good action show, let alone a good Digimon show. If you like it, then that's totally cool; but I'm both sad and disappointed.
All the first five shows had acceptable or even good character development, with OG Adventure and Tamers standing out as being prime examples of how great Digimon stories can be.
(I haven't watched a lot of Xros or Appmon, so I can't comment on those).
So this reimagination just feels like a punch in the gut to someone as invested in the franchise as I am.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The big issue with Adventure 2020 is the plot. 27 episodes in, Devimon has already been defeated and we STILL don't know what he wanted. We still don't know what's the deal with the giant black ball that spawns eye based enemies. We still have no idea why the children were needed or what the crests on the digivice mean. We still don't know why they need to save the holy digimon even though they already rescued one. Why doesn't Patamon talk? Why doesn't he tell us why he was trapped? What was the deal with soundbirdmon or the dark miasma? They seem to have forgotten about that. And as if all of that weren't enough mysteries they are now introducing milleniumon and making darkknightmon the new big bad.
You can have a high energy fast paced show with lots of fights as long as you have an equally fast moving plot to explain what's going on. Sadly the plot of Adventure 2020 seems to be a cookie cutter digimon plot that moves at the same speed as previous seasons.

Minowa

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well i finally watched the Devimon fight and that's what i think

- This Devimon just look like a terrible vilain from the old horror movies "i'm a vilain, i do bad things haha", in the OG he at least talked more and was appearing way more than this one, we also could see that he was really controlling the other Digimons

- What i didn't like also, is their will to put the other kids in the second plan, when they could be together to defeat Devimon and it would make more sense, than putting the Wargreymon evolution at this stage

Now that this "Arc" is done, i stay in my first statement; the kids looks too engaged when they don't know a thing about the Digiworld etc, their Digimon keep evolving to higher form like it was just a formality, there is NO story, it's fight after fight after fight...

It's like if in Dragon Ball Goku would have become a Super Saiyajin againts Bejita and a Super Saiyajin Blue againts Freeza and now we still have Cell and Majin Buu to go...

It's MY opinion of course, but this anime is the worst reboot i have ever seen, i didn't enjoy any episode, they should watch other anime's reboot like Dragon Quest Dai or Captain Tsubasa and see how it should be done !

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well i finally watched the Devimon fight and that's what i think

- This Devimon just look like a terrible vilain from the old horror movies "i'm a vilain, i do bad things haha", in the OG he at least talked more and was appearing way more than this one, we also could see that he was really controlling the other Digimons

- What i didn't like also, is their will to put the other kids in the second plan, when they could be together to defeat Devimon and it would make more sense, than putting the Wargreymon evolution at this stage

Now that this "Arc" is done, i stay in my first statement; the kids looks too engaged when they don't know a thing about the Digiworld etc, their Digimon keep evolving to higher form like it was just a formality, there is NO story, it's fight after fight after fight...

It's like if in Dragon Ball Goku would have become a Super Saiyajin againts Bejita and a Super Saiyajin Blue againts Freeza and now we still have Cell and Majin Buu to go...

It's MY opinion of course, but this anime is the worst reboot i have ever seen, i didn't enjoy any episode, they should watch other anime's reboot like Dragon Quest Dai or Captain Tsubasa and see how it should be done !
Yes, this entire project feels more and more like another money grab, a bit concealed with better graphics very similar to tri - there at least power pacing was better preserved. Now they have ruined even that, looking like XW but with no storyline or bare minimum story.

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Its mostly the writer being familiar with his stuff i pretty much only watch to see cool fights hes wrote for precure alot and even then the most of ones hes wrote for aren't my favorites save for one and in that he just wrote a few episodes so mostly just watch for the action

Last edited:

Keisuke_HM

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fully agree. I'd say the show was perfectly fine up until the Ultimate (Perfect) Evo arc. The world building and plot set-up until than was actually interesting and had me hooked. It really is just overwhelming at this point and constantly throwing Nuke tier Digimon at the team like this makes the stakes feel cheap. Especially since a big portion of the fights come down to "new evo/Omnimon/power-up" instead of team work and the chosen children covering each others weaknesses.

We have not been given anytime to actually learn about the world and enjoy digimon going about their lives. This was abundant in the original. It would be cool to actually have a threat that has NOTHING to do with the real world. That is what annoys me the most. every villain digimon that pops up has something to do with problems in the real world. I still like the show but definitely not as much as I did at first. It's cool seeing OG digimon be more badass than back in the day and I appreciate them reaching deep with what digimon they focus on. But now that's the only reason I am watching the show as opposed to at first I was interested in the bigger picture.

FlareChain

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My problem is, that basically nothing happens at all, despite the fact that stuff happens.
We see the Digimon fighting, but somehow nothing gets ever explained, the story feels shallow and in a total lack of a goal for the digidestined to attain. We dont get interactions between the characters, which are essential; they are basically a team and the lack of a proper character arc for our heroes.
Taichi is the hero of the show. Yamato exists to protect Takeru. Sora...I dont know she exists, I guess?. Izzy exists to provide information from the real world via his laptop. Joe & Mimi are the comic relief characters. Takeru is there to be a special boi and "ONII CHAAAN"; Hikari is there to...be a lifeless, emotionless doll.
The Digimon are also pretty lackluster in terms of characterisations - not even Gomamon has a good character that helps Joe evolve, instead he always just goes like "awww Joe... *pat pat on the back*" and thats it.
Idk why I should care about these people/Digimon if they just got a characterisation of a cardboard box. I bet by the end of the show, there will be a bunch of plotholes left unexplained, since they didnt want to bother with story and characters too much. Pretty disappointing.

Minowa

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with everything you guys are saying, it was getting on the right track until the death of Ogremon and the Metal Greymon evo, because after that we (fan of the OG) knew it was going to be a new evo in each next episode, i don't have a problem for the Champions forms to be shown quickly but the Ultimate should be special; MetalGreymon only appeared to defeat Etemon but it wasn't easy, Taichi had to find his symbol, and it was the same for each of them and it could take time for them to find it (Lilymon only appeared at the end of the Vandemon saga)

In this one we had everything ! Not only we had the Ultimate form of every Digimon shown but we also had the Mega Fusion and Wargreymon in only one Arc...
Now i'm wondering, how are they going to do for the next vilains ? Since we already know Wargreymon and MetalGarurumon will be out there to take care of the enemy

We still don't know what's the whole purpose, why are they the choosen ones?

humon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean honestly my biggest issue is that there's no surprises. We have the same 8 Chosen, with the same partners, and the same evolutions. There's the occasional new take on an old mon like new stages for Algomon and Devimon, and they're doing Milleniummon for the first time in an anime which is nice, but we've all seen Milleniummon before. We know he's a threat, it's not exciting.

I'm enjoying it, but they debuted Omegamon in like episode 3, ffs. Hopefully it means the later episodes will deviate somehow, be it new Megas for the characters that aren't named Yamato or Taichi, or yet another Omegamon upgrade, but I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly I'm expecting them to do a "Royal Knights but half of them are bad guys" arc, or a "Seven Great Demon Lords" arc.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have any problems with the series, and in fact I think most of people have problems with it only because it's named "Adventure" and not something else. I think people would be more willing to accept certain things (for example that this time around it's more centered on action and less on development and/or drama, or that some characters are more important than other characters) if Digimon Adventure would be named differently like Digimon Burst and set in a different setting.

I think people should accept the fact that the only connection this series has with the older series that more or less there are the same characters (though slightly changed) and the title is pretty similar. Other than that, they're two different series not connected to each other.

This series is not as bad as some people want it to be or sound as if it would be, only the principles that run it this time are slightly different than what we all habitted to. I can't say it's my most favourite serries (for now Appmons are), but also I can't say that it's the worst nightmare I ever watched (that title would go to Crayon Shin-chan that I managed to watch just a few minutes only...).

Minowa

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like you said it's named after the original serie and it's suppose to be a reboot, they should have done a new "season" with different characters, because for people that were fans of the old one, it's difficult to not compare..

I mean like i said before if you reboot Dragon Ball and you give SSJ Blue to Goku in the Saiyan Saga, there will be critics for sure

I'll still watch it because to be honest i never watched the other Digimon Seasons (started the second one but never really felt in love) so i'm willing to see where it goes

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like you said it's named after the original serie and it's suppose to be a reboot, they should have done a new "season" with different characters, because for people that were fans of the old one, it's difficult to not compare..

I mean like i said before if you reboot Dragon Ball and you give SSJ Blue to Goku in the Saiyan Saga, there will be critics for sure

I'll still watch it because to be honest i never watched the other Digimon Seasons (started the second one but never really felt in love) so i'm willing to see where it goes
I actually am not so sure about DBZ and SSJ Blue thing ;). I mean, the whole DB series is about gaining more and more power and defeating stronger and stronger enemies. Giving Blue so soon it would mean that later in the series Goku will reach a "beyond-er than God-Angel" lvl. And pretty much we have the same situation here - giving WarGreymon so soon means that it soon will become obsolete and we will be introduced to even stronger new evolution that we didn't see yet. Like in Tri - the whole point of Tri was to introduce Omegamon Merciful Mode.

I think the developers decided to brand this new series as a reboot of Adventure (instead of making a whole new series) because a new series would not lure enough watchers to be profitable. Unlike Adventure that's a legend in itself. For this reason I'm willing to close an eye on some things that at the end of the day don't really are important if the series will gather enough watchers for Digimon to get another series or for example game (instead of being thrown to the fridge for the next 5 years).

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't have any problems with the series, and in fact I think most of people have problems with it only because it's named "Adventure" and not something else. I think people would be more willing to accept certain things (for example that this time around it's more centered on action and less on development and/or drama, or that some characters are more important than other characters) if Digimon Adventure would be named differently like Digimon Burst and set in a different setting.

I think people should accept the fact that the only connection this series has with the older series that more or less there are the same characters (though slightly changed) and the title is pretty similar. Other than that, they're two different series not connected to each other.

This series is not as bad as some people want it to be or sound as if it would be, only the principles that run it this time are slightly different than what we all habitted to. I can't say it's my most favourite serries (for now Appmons are), but also I can't say that it's the worst nightmare I ever watched (that title would go to Crayon Shin-chan that I managed to watch just a few minutes only...).
On the other hand, TMS has said that he/she will have a problem with this lack of development if they were a new group.

I partially agree people expect more focus on development / drama, because it's Adventure. I think the current characters are enough likeable if you ignore Adventure 99.

However, it also depends on people's trastes. There are people (like me) who just like drama in the anime they see. So, Adventure 2020 doesn't really give them what they want.

Last edited:

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
However, it also depends on people's trastes. There are people (like me) who just like drama in the anime they see. So, Adventure 2020 doesn't really give them what they want.
And that's totally fine! I mean, all people are different and have different tastes, some people like apples and some people like pears. And some people like both apples and pears. But that doesn't mean that apples are better than pears or vice versa - pears are better than apples. They're both great.

Same here, if the series isn't exactly what we like to watch (it isn't drama/adventure but a boss rush) it doesn't mean it's a pure shitocrap that should be avoided at all costs and people still watching it should be paid for watching it. However, some people act as if watching this series would be a punishment sent on them by their God. Yes, this series might not be what "you" (people that dislike it) wanted it to be, but it's still fun to watch. At least for people that long for something else than drama/adventure.

digigirl02

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Going into a the series think it’s important to have the right mindset. I like to think of it as an alternate or companion universe, while it share characteristics from the original series, it is it’s own thing. Not expecting it to be ground breaking but fun is why I am enjoying it thus far.

Last edited:

Darklabo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have Shingeki no Kyojin for the drama, so Digimon Adventure 2020 is nice to take a breath after a bunch of deaths and that sort of stuff.

Also, Reboot Devimon is a better villain than the OG one.
OG Devimon was a bland villain to be honest.
At least the new one is a real threat and have some kind of backstory (even if we still don’t know what it is).

Last edited:

PCN24454

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have Shingeki no Kyojin for the drama, so Digimon Adventure 2020 is nice to take a breath after a bunch of deaths and that sort of stuff.

Also, Reboot Devimon is a better villain than the OG one.
OG Devimon was a bland villain to be honest.
At least the new one is a real threat and have some kind of backstory (even if we still don’t know what it is).
Except that he doesn't. While he's he's numerically stronger than the previous Devimon, his role in the story really isn't any different. It might even be lower because he's shown to be lackey for some other boss Digimon.

My issue with the series is that for all people worry about filler, most of the episodes seem kind of pointless beyond just head to where the main antagonist is. You could've started the series at episode 30 and not missed anything. That's pretty bad by any TV shows' standards.