The biggest problem with Adventure 2020, imo

Takatom0n

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think most of us can agree that they've done a lot of good with the new season. Animations are better than ever, VA is top notch and some of the new designs are pretty cool too.

I think the reason I'm having trouble staying invested is because there's simply too much going on. Every single episode is just super action packed, fights everywhere, evolutions left and right, life threatening ordeals all over.

But I feel like that's done the opposite of what the writers probably wanted. It doesn't feel intense anymore, I don't feel impressed or excited after a battle, because there simply isn't time to. As soon as a one action packed plot is done, it's head first into the next one; leaving no breathing room.

The title is Adventure, but I don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen very little adventure. The kids aren't really exploring the world, and they don't seem particularly amazed by anything the digital world has to offer.
So where's the adventure?

What was amazing about some of the older seasons was that I could imagine myself in that world. Sure I'm way older and I'm not the target audience; but there hasn't been a single episode solely dedicated to just seeing how the kids get to enjoy and take in the incredible world that they've been transported to, or properly dealing with the horror of being stuck and trying to find a way home.

Idk man... I just wish there was more breathing room between the action, so I would actually be able to enjoy what should have been high impact and intense scenes anymore. At this point I feel pretty exhausted.

Minowa

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just joined this forum after reading your post and i totally agree with you !

I was about 10-11 years old when the Digimon Adventure came out and since this is a remake, we can't pretend that we shouldn't compare the two of them !

To continue what you said, i believe everything is too rushed, after all the Digimon evolved to their Champion form, they quickly arrive to heir Ultime form without explaining why and how ! In the first serie we had the symbols and each of the kids had to find his and go through a real mind battle with themself
Here ? Taichi just have to scream and Greymon turns to Metal Greymon and it is the same with the other Digimons...

Another thing that i feel is being complety looked away, is the main Vilain, Devimon !! After nearly 20 episodes, he is being seen only twice and nobody really understand who he is, i get that they want to put some suspence but in the old serie we could see his plot step by step and see how he controls they other Digimons and the tension gets bigger until the climax with the final battle

Now that the Digimons already evolved to their Ultime form, it means that Wargreaymon and Metal Garurumon are coming soon ?

Knowing that Devimon is only a "Champion" Digimon, is he worth to fight Mega Digimons ? Is there other vilains coming after him ? I wish they took their time to build the story because there is too many fights and the story isn't going anywhere.

The story is too much connected with the real world and "internet" i wish they concentrate more on the "Digiworld" itself.

Takatom0n

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah - It does feel like they just added the connection to the real world to act as a way to "up the ante" as well as introduce Takeru and Hikari - which in reality just makes the story feel sorta jumbled, with no single plot feeling fleshed out in any way.
I will say, while I sort of agree with your statement on Devimon, I'll have to refrain from adding anything to that point, since it sounds like you're not entirely caught up.
What I will say, is that I don't dislike the conclusion to the fight with him. They just, yet again, immeddiately continued with the action, making the victory feel hollow.

But like you mentioned, I really damn hope they have to earn their mega's... I don't want to see another unearned evolution...
Taichi goes "Reeee!" and MetalGreymon goes "Shinkaaa!" woops, is that WarGreymon I see? Please no...

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah honestly I grew tired of the most staring expressions and sliding animations not bothered to animate so freely and tons of shaking screens.

At first, I was excited because I had no idea how their adventures lead to and the animation was amazing like Agumon fought tons of Algomon babies and great expressions of Digimon.

Until now? All I see are mostly shaking screens, sliding movement animations, terrible fights with most Stormtrooper aims, suddenly got injured then suddenly just fine with no signs of wounds.... And those staring expressions.

What happened to the first animator where beginning episodes filled with full of fun animations?

I really dislike "cardboard" animations. Really terrible.

Also Peckmon never attack while flying and carrying the riders. Oh c'mon.

When the next episode starts, your mind will know here they go. Mostly cardboards to animate so... Lazily. With more shaking screens.

My heart... Felt so empty. And frustrated. I know it sounded like hater ranting. Just lacked emotions and unknown adventure filled with... Nothing. It's like watching the movie with the empty cars goes explode.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As I’ve said before it’s like watching a let’s play of a video game where the player is skipping all the cutscenes with the character development and story. I’d be getting just as much of a narrative from watching a play through of Digimon Rumble Arena.

Takatom0n

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As I’ve said before it’s like watching a let’s play of a video game where the player is skipping all the cutscenes with the character development and story. I’d be getting just as much of a narrative from watching a play through of Digimon Rumble Arena.

Haha, you're not wrong :rolleyes:
It had so much potential, and I couldn't really imagine how they could ever mess it up. But they did; Digimon Adventure: On Crack, featuring all of the colors and none of the soul

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't shake off the feeling that this reboot is pretty much an upgrade version of Xros Wars & Tri and we are almost half way through the series and nothing on story and world building of any sort. I still hope that the second half of the series would redeem everything we've seen so far like Appmon...

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Where are we? What are these creatures? Why are there telephone booths on the beach? Why is a Trolley in the middle of this lake? Vending machines in the middle of the jungle? This is the feeling of adventure we got in the original. They were stranded in a strange world. It felt like an adventure.

Now is fights all the time. They have been fighting non-stop since they arrived in the Digital world in episode 4. We haven't seen them take a break to rest, to eat or get to know each other. Remember in the original when everybody went around and shared how they ate their eggs? Remember watching them go through Tokyo searching for Hikari? Getting their butts kicked because they had no experience? Stop their search for a crest to play football/soccer in a huge stadium? Crazy, right!?

We are at 27 episodes right now. When I was a kid and first watched the original, I still remembered File Island when the series was around episode 27. I still remembered Seadramon at the Lake. The Numemon and Toytown, Elecmon, Andromon, Village of Begginings, the Koromon Village and that huge cargo boat in the desert. Yet, I can't name any of the places or most of the enemies they fought in Adventure:. They are not memorable. Action is what matters. And don't get me wrong, the action is cool! The animation has been really nice! But the show has no heart.

Minowa

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah - It does feel like they just added the connection to the real world to act as a way to "up the ante" as well as introduce Takeru and Hikari - which in reality just makes the story feel sorta jumbled, with no single plot feeling fleshed out in any way.
I will say, while I sort of agree with your statement on Devimon, I'll have to refrain from adding anything to that point, since it sounds like you're not entirely caught up.
What I will say, is that I don't dislike the conclusion to the fight with him. They just, yet again, immeddiately continued with the action, making the victory feel hollow.

But like you mentioned, I really damn hope they have to earn their mega's... I don't want to see another unearned evolution...
Taichi goes "Reeee!" and MetalGreymon goes "Shinkaaa!" woops, is that WarGreymon I see? Please no...

Yes you got it, i'm still taking my time to watch the episodes 😅

The old show had the Ultimate forms evolution so meaningfull !!! Remember Metal Greymon struggling and going through his limits to become Metal Greymon or Bidramon becoming Garudamon in one of the most helpless and critical moment against Vandemon
In this season, I didn't feel any emotion in any of those Ultimate evolutions, they are basically holding their digivice, shouting "let's go!!" and that's it..

I really hope they will prove me wrong and do better for the rest of the season 🙏

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope they will prove me wrong and do better for the rest of the season 🙏
Don't. If you haven't enjoyed the show so far, you're not going to enjoy the rest of it.

For my own part, as someone who was disappointed that they were reusing the Adventure kids in the first place, I've enjoyed the show. We've seen these kids get developed before, and I don't need to see it rehashed. I'm just watching to see new Digimon and enjoy the fights, which for the most part have delivered.

adha.aiman

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't shake off the feeling that this reboot is pretty much an upgrade version of Xros Wars & Tri and we are almost half way through the series and nothing on story and world building of any sort. I still hope that the second half of the series would redeem everything we've seen so far like Appmon...
I kinda disagree with the first part. I'd argue Xros wars carries the spirit of the first Adventure better than Adventure: 2020 has. It has the adventure part done right, and feels like it reshuffles the story and characters just right. Sure the evolution and mechanics are wildly different, but it's also one of its charms.

Tri. is pretty much a beta LEK, which is why even though the parts of plot for Tri and LEK was similar, LEK executed it much better. Though it was reliant on the audience being familiar with Adventure (1999)'s cast. So even if the writing was off, we know what to expect because we understand that these are the same cast that we had an adventure with.

In the end, Adventure: 2020 is probably best enjoyed if you aren't familiar with the original series, or are willing to treat this as a completely different season that happen to share familiar names, even the digimon. Though imo these should've been a new set of characters so we'd stop comparing the two. It's hard not to at this point.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think even if this show had a completely different cast of characters I still wouldn’t like it. Whether they are derived from the Adventure cast or not has no impact on them being flat as paper in this show. I wish I could at least get on-board with the action, but the animation quality is so inconsistent and even when it is nice it just isn’t to my taste. I was more of a fan of the action in Appmon myself, which was often very environmental, Appmon getting smashed through walls or the epic kaiju fights at the end. It’s the tokusatsu fan in me, it knows what it likes. I do like seeing new Digimon debut though, that is always fun, so that’s the reason I keep watching.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've enjoyed the reboot and am enjoying the action and seeing these Digimon we never thought would be in the anime. We know who these characters are, to waste episodes focusing on development with a lot of filler isn't necessary I don't think since that was already done over two decades ago. There is nothing different from these characters from the original cast.

This is a completely different story set in a parallel world thankfully, not a rehash of the original series. That should be left alone, not retold or altered with modern tropes. It was a product of its time and should stay that way.

It continues to amaze me that no matter what comes out there is nothing but complaints and criticisms. If it were slower and had a lot of filler people would be complaining about that because it needed more action and new Digimon. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of scenario here.

I agree with TMS, if you aren't on board by this point nearly halfway in, it won't get better for you. Its kept me on the edge of my seat seeing these awesome new Digimon like Groundramon, Devimon's line, etc., we get Volcdramon in the next one. Seeing the Dark Crystal and Moon=Millenniumon, I am hooked I admit and that is rare these days.

Takatom0n

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't. If you haven't enjoyed the show so far, you're not going to enjoy the rest of it.

For my own part, as someone who was disappointed that they were reusing the Adventure kids in the first place, I've enjoyed the show. We've seen these kids get developed before, and I don't need to see it rehashed. I'm just watching to see new Digimon and enjoy the fights, which for the most part have delivered.
While I completely understand where you're coming from, my main problem is specifically with how they handle the action and the fights.

Because there's no breathing room, the results feel empty and meaningless.
I don't get to care about a cool victory they just had, because they're immediately on to the next big baddie. I just wish that after a huge battle, we could get some space to have not only us, but the kids as well, soak in the incredibly hard earned victory.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes I agree they did good job on animation sequences. Now from what I can notice after these 27 episodes:

The 1st season seems even worse than pacing in the original '99 1st season with Devimon - it's a mishmash of god knows what, too many unnecessary elements

Action sequences after 1st 3 episodes are plastic, uninteresting completely and I mean completely disregarding levels of digimon (in original '99 version ultimate could not be defeated by even a dozen champions even if it was in poor shape to battle and I liked that alot because it made a power difference noticeable) Also music is poor, better to have stuck with the old OST

They wondered for about a dozen episodes in my personal opinion they introduced ultimate levels too early and didn't finish to give us a complete interesting storyline for champion saga conflict with Devimon.
Seems like they just want to cram as many digimon and their levels becoming meaningless in the process.

In the last episode it seems they finally trying to make power difference for ultimates a bit more present in fights- but even that now at nearly half the show is meaningless since they ruined it
The only episodes where it seemed to have a small power difference introduction were the one where MetalTyrannomon was introduced and Andromon episode.

2020 version of Devimon is far worse story-wise and character-wise than original one.

Conclusion: It can be without a doubt said they smothered the storyline, character traits and power leveling to get the product in time for anniversary. But if it's any consolation at least it's just a bit better than tri.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmmm, for me it seems to be a mix of things that bugs me about Adventure: at the moment. We all know i'm a big Adventure fangirl and defending the orignal is the hill I will die on!

I liked how Adventure: started. It was different but had 'feeling' but that feeling has gone. It feels like there isn't enough character development. These are the Adventure kids, but not at the same time. We don't know enough about them, so can only see them ad 'the adventure kids' when they are not.

The writing as been pretty aimless IMO. There was sort of a plot. That now just seems...not plot. Some of what has happened didn't need 3 eps to focus on (or worse in the B Teams case). There hasn't been enough 'back time'. It's been constant 'this is happening, now this is happening etc'.

I find myself not enjoying it as I did, but will watch it to the end (despite a certain Digimon I dislike in a certain crystal form right now...hisss).

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We know who these characters are, to waste episodes focusing on development with a lot of filler isn't necessary I don't think since that was already done over two decades ago.
We don't. You said it yourself, this is a different story set in a different world, hence these characters are not the same as the ones from the original Adventure.

Also, developing characters is not "filler" (*). The heart of any story rests in the dramatisation of character psychology, for crying out loud.

That's why I'd go as far as to say that Adventure (2020) hardly counts as a story. If a good Digimon story is just about throwing in random Digimon that have never been used before, you're setting the bar really low. Not to mention that none of these new Digimon are given any kind of personality or quirk or character trait to make them stand out, so the world feels bland and boring, just like its main cast.

Mind you, if seeing new Digimon is enough for you to enjoy the show, good for you. But to say that the people who don't like Adventure (2020) are complaining for no reason is absurd. The show is pretty much slapping the audience in the face with its flaws.

(*) Also, can we please get rid of this persistent idea that filler = bad?

True. Too bad I'm a slave to this franchise and I'll keep watching anyway. Damn you, Akiyoshi!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd like to specify that if there was the same lack of character development with a new cast, then I would have an issue with the show. But I don't care that it's the case with the Adventure characters, since I was already becoming bored with them.

Takatom0n

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd like to specify that if there was the same lack of character development with a new cast, then I would have an issue with the show. But I don't care that it's the case with the Adventure characters, since I was already becoming bored with them.
I'll definitely agree that they should have chosen to develop a new cast.
This is just pandering to nostalgia, because they don't feel confident that people will watch a new show; and know that this will without a doubt earn them money.

We don't. You said it yourself, this is a different story set in a different world, hence these characters are not the same as the ones from the original Adventure.
Exactly. I don't think it makes sense to say, "the characters have already been developed in the past, so they don't need to be developed again".
They are new characters that may look the same, have the same name and similar personalities, but they aren't the same.
The tri cast was the same as the original. But this is a reimagination, thus requiring them to actually develop as people.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was hoping that if they were going to base things on "V-Tamer" that the character development would be focused on the partner Digimon instead of the kids. But arguably the partners are even worse off than in Digimon Adventure since 90% of the time they're spent in evolved forms that can't really show emotion in this artstyle (in V-Tamer Zero was often drawn in a super-deformed form to get around this).