The Appeal of V-Pet

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The First Digimon "Anything" I Ever Bought Was Digimon World 2, I'd heard about DW1 but Didn't Get the Chance to get it.
Then I watched the anime which solidified Digimon Forever in my heart.
After a while I got a copy of DW1 played it.
I Liked the Environment, The Story.
But The Concept of having to raise my Digimon over and over Didn't Sink in With me..
I was Wondering Why?
What's the logic behind it? To teach Parenting? Nostalgia?
I Couldn't Get the Appeal like the rest of the Fandom.
So Can Any V-Pet Fans Explain It For Me?

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
DW1 doesn't feel exactly like a vpet. It was a lot faster version of what happens in Tamagotchis for gameplay reasons since you no longer really keep it in your pocket to tend to it day to day. And yeah I think it was becaude of the nurturing aspect and training (for fighting) aspect. If I remember right Tamagotchis were thought of by one of the creators because a lot of Japanese people lived on highly populated areas and apartments where animals arent allowed so they wanted a toy to give you that feeling. Once you have nurturing and death it raises the stakes very high for caring for it and fighting. Its also so you can have a fresh start the next tine and go through even more new Digimon and evolutions. Its really not as stressful in vpets though. I couldnt get into DW1 to be honest, you might enjoy Next Order more.

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's fun not entirely being in control of your Digimon's evolution. It creates interesting moments like Skull Greymon and Sukasimon in the anime.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm a big fan of virtual pets as a genre, not just Digimon, and I guess... I like the sense of companionship. Like there's an actual bond between you and your creature, that you're actually working together. Like they're not just a summon, familiar, or weapon as a lot of monster-fighting games tend to frame it; they're a living creature that needs to be taken care of, and that has some autonomy. I do agree though that Digimon having such a short lifespan is kind of a bummer, and even though it doesn't personally bother me much because I like raising Digimon and watching them grow up, I definitely see why it can be a deal breaker for a lot of people. And I honestly wouldn't mind at all a Digimon game with V-Pet-like gameplay but didn't have your Digimon die of old age.

OP, if it weren't for the fact that the Digimon die pretty quickly and you have to raise them from birth again each time, do you think you'd like the V-Pet/Digimon World style gameplay better?

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I honestly wouldn't mind at all a Digimon game with V-Pet-like gameplay but didn't have your Digimon die of old age.
How would that work, though? you get to Mega for the first time and then... you're stuck with that Mega forever? You'd only be able to have one evolution line the entire game.

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gameplay wise I think it's not a good idea, I mean you are a human who was dragged to the Digi-World to fix it by fighting a LOT, you can't do that if your raising/Training your Digimon half or some of the time.
Oh Speaking of which There's a moment in DW1 Where Later in the game A Really Strong Greymon WILL Appear and Track You Down To Jijimon's House To Fight You, what am I as a player supposed to do if my Digimon was in baby form in that situation?

Another Aspect about the V-Pet , there's a problem I heard of your "pet" Pooping/Dying/Getting Sick While your asleep that is a major problem I'd say.
maybe they should add some new functions or something to the V-Pet

kensei

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I recall correctly, losing to Greymon will cause him not to appear again until you enter Jijimons house once more. It's definitely awkward but so long as you avoid re-entering you have the opportunity to train up, buy more items etc. That said I think I only got by because my digimon only knew a single, weak but very fast attack. Maybe sonic jab. Just kept stunlocking him and spamming MP floppies. Not my proudest moment!

I personally always found the v-pets appealing because my first main experience with Digimon was Digimon World 1. My friend and I got it for our birthdays and we spent a lot of time visiting each others houses with our memory cards and countless numemon to fight each other. Even today we still go back and play it and have memory card battles, though thankfully with less numemon. So nostalgia obviously plays a big part in the appeal. There's also something nice about getting to raise wildly different digimon each time you fire up a v-pet. If they stayed digivolved forever, or never died, you'd get a lot less variety. I was also never allowed pets, so v-pets were the next best thing!

A tip with the pets if you want a lie-in, learn when your digimon wakes up and set the clock back accordingly before you go to sleep. i.e. set it back two hours and (so long as that's still when they'd be asleep) you've earned yourself two more hours of peace and quiet.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I recall correctly, losing to Greymon will cause him not to appear again until you enter Jijimons house once more. It's definitely awkward but so long as you avoid re-entering you have the opportunity to train up, buy more items etc. That said I think I only got by because my digimon only knew a single, weak but very fast attack. Maybe sonic jab. Just kept stunlocking him and spamming MP floppies. Not my proudest moment!

I personally always found the v-pets appealing because my first main experience with Digimon was Digimon World 1. My friend and I got it for our birthdays and we spent a lot of time visiting each others houses with our memory cards and countless numemon to fight each other. Even today we still go back and play it and have memory card battles, though thankfully with less numemon. So nostalgia obviously plays a big part in the appeal. There's also something nice about getting to raise wildly different digimon each time you fire up a v-pet. If they stayed digivolved forever, or never died, you'd get a lot less variety. I was also never allowed pets, so v-pets were the next best thing!

A tip with the pets if you want a lie-in, learn when your digimon wakes up and set the clock back accordingly before you go to sleep. i.e. set it back two hours and (so long as that's still when they'd be asleep) you've earned yourself two more hours of peace and quiet.
That sounds about right. I once DID have a baby when Greymon showed up, which of course cost me a life and I luckily was able to avoid having to fight him again til I was ready

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I think The V-Pet is kinda outdated maybe they should add new Functions, An Auto-Bathroom etc..I'm Just Gonna Stick To the Games, I need my beauty Sleep.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And I honestly wouldn't mind at all a Digimon game with V-Pet-like gameplay but didn't have your Digimon die of old age.
How would that work, though? you get to Mega for the first time and then... you're stuck with that Mega forever? You'd only be able to have one evolution line the entire game.
By doing the same thing the Digimon franchise has been doing for years: Copy the anime (namely Adventure, of course)! You control when and how your Digimon evolves, but only if you've made sure to take care of it properly. I like how Digimon Masters does evolution much like the anime, where your partner Digimon spends most if its time in a "default" stage- usually Child, because Marketablity- and evolution is temporary and usually invoked for battles. Mix that with the life sim elements of World/the V-Pets, and the branching evolution trees of the later Story games, and I think you could have a pretty good evolution system. And if your Digimon does die, 1) it's not from old age but from disease, injury, or starvation; 2) they're immediately reborn as an egg, and 3) you don't have to completely start over with training them.

Basically just make the life sim elements less about constantly babysitting your Digimon so they don't turn into a pile of poop and/or die too early, and more about taking care of a companion so that they, in turn, can take care of you by fighting all the bigger, badder, meaner monsters. I mean, I'm perfectly fine with babysitting Digimon, but I understand why so many other people aren't too keen on it. And honestly... I just want virtual pets, as a genre, to evolve again. It's been 24 years since Dogz was first released, and I feel like virtual pets have barely progressed since then. The fact that the Petz franchise is a mere shadow of its former self since being bought by Ubisoft is just adding insult to injury.

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Temporary Evolution" Now That I Don't Mind at all, my Digimon going Back to Child Stage by Default that's ok with me.
Now Add Some Method or System Where my Digimon can feed himself, like I'd leave him food in a storage or space or even a fridge, and he Trains in a gym, Learning how to perform First Aid, following a preset list of Commands and instructions on how to handle himself if I can't be around, if there's a V-Pet Like that Count me in!

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My apologies for coming into this thread as my first post, but I really felt like I needed to have a say in things. Anyways, as somebody who is currently playing through World for the first time with a friend (it's also the first Digimon RPG I had played), I'll express specific reasons why I do enjoy it and I really do think it's not nostalgia to think it's good, given that this game is fairly new to me:

• First of all, I feel like the gameplay style is fairly unique as an RPG, taking the mechanics of the V-Pets in an RPG and it seems pretty unique for game involving 'mons to just simply focus with one monster rather than a party of 3, 6, or even having a load of them in your disposal. And this said monster is capable of changing its form into many, many kinds of species with the numerous branching paths. All which is dependant on how you raised it. The feeling of having it become an awesome killing machine or a piece of garbage by your decisions is pretty incredible. I do like how Digimon teaches you both on responsibility and patience, which is what you need to beat this game. And really, how often do you have a game with poop mechanics? Very few.
  • I feel with the AI-controlled battle system and having just only one Digimon to care for, it really actually have a bit of an emotional drive in battles. You spend a lot of time trying to raise it, hoping it can do it's best. It may not make it out of it alive, but still you will want to cheer for it. And there can be plenty of luck-based surprises that happen while you are raising it or fighting other Digimon.
  • The death mechanic may seem very cumbersome, but it's actually a good way to put balance to the game. Even if nothing lasts forever, it actually prevents you from grinding it stats so mindlessly, as if you spend too much time training, your Digimon could very well meet the end of its life to reset all stats back to square one. So you have to utilize strategies to progress further. I feel like the flaw with a lot of RPGs is that the difficulty dies away easily if you happen to grind too much.
  • The environments were pretty nice and open, like it was nice how I can go like anywhere I like after doing a few things early on. Although it's true there are certain conditions to get into certain areas, it's large enough and feels like I'm encouraged to explore, rather than go into some kind of linear goto route, which can be the case for a lot of games. Plenty of discovery to find.
  • Plus, as you progress and recruit Digimon, the Digimon will upgrade your city and it can be a good feeling to constantly come back to it to see it change around with new buildings and NPCs to talk to with amusing dialog. Plus, they also will make it easier for you to progress further in the game by making the training/raising parts of the game easier, so it's actually fairly rewarding.
  • Praise aside, I think the biggest problem with the game is mostly just it may be a little cryptic-ish when you get started with virtually nothing telling you on where you need to go--aside from searching for recruitable Digimon, or how to properly raise your Digimon. So I actually had the need to use a guide to playthrough this game, since I would like to have an idea on what I'm doing.
There are other reasons on why I like it, or other possible gripes, but I think these are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Regardless, I think it's a pretty good game.

I do think the Digimon games aren't exactly everyone's cup of tea for the difficulty and varying gameplay styles from what I heard. It's not like how in the mainline Pokemon games where it's got a consistent, solid formula and a simplistic difficulty level to be playable for a casual audience. Also RIP, I had to redo this post because I lost the finished post from a timed logout.

Oh yeah, as for the thing with Jijimon, the Greymon fight is triggered only if you talk to him after having the right level for your city. If you happen to lose, Greymon won't show up again in the Village of Beginnings from leaving the house. You still can leave to get the items you need, and to raise your Digimon, whatever or not it had died. So you won't have to worry of being stuck in some kind of loop of an unwinnable fight. So talking to Jijimon is all you need to bring back Greymon.

Last edited:

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks For Making Your First Post Here.My "Problem" These Days Is With The Creators Of The Digimon Franchise, and The People They Choose To Direct Them, "Like The Director Of Tri" That guy Had no Business to be there Period!Sorry got Sidetracked... anyway my point is they're not improving or coming up With new ideas.I would love an "In-Game Digivolution Comprehensive List For me To Use without having to play Months/Years or go online to figure out, Id like the Digivolutions to not be Overly Complex, Like in DW1 In order to have a Devimon You have to lose once "I'm not sure I read it on A Wiki Page"They're Re-Using Same old tricks of the past.New Gaming Mechanics and smarter AI's Would help, I'd Like my Digimon to Do Stuff on his own, and Simplified Gameplay.

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I disagree. I don't really follow with how say there's the lack of new ideas, since they do change it up. IMO, it really just sounds more like World and the general V-Pet experience is not your cup of tea for enjoyment, and I totally understand that. Fortunately for Digimon, there's like many different games with their own ways on how you raise and battle Digimon. As you know, World 2 is a different experience and there's also the Story series.

Also I'm guessing you just looking for a game that works exactly like the anime? Well, I have good news for you: Adventure did had a direct game adaption for the PSP, although Japan-only, but a finished English translation hack does exist. DMO from what I checked also had linear evolution paths with 4 stages per line.

Last edited:

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well your both right and Wrong, I hate having to train/raise my Digimon repeatedly it's exhausting and I don't have the time cuz I'm busy with life.it would be nice if the company made a V-Pet for busy adults who have been Digimon fans but no longer have free time as before.Also do people by different Tamagotchis "hope I didn't spell that wrong" and keep older ones they used to have, I think that's kinda wasteful.

kintang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, there is Meramon food glitch in DW1 if you don't want to deal with the hassle of training or battling for stat.

Last edited:

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Now Add Some Method or System Where my Digimon can feed himself, like I'd leave him food in a storage or space or even a fridge, and he Trains in a gym, Learning how to perform First Aid, following a preset list of Commands and instructions on how to handle himself if I can't be around, if there's a V-Pet Like that Count me in!
I wouldn't want it to be too automated, because at that point, why even have the life sim stuff at all anymore? I'd stick to just making the Digimon less needy, more hardy, and more autonomous.

Amnaeal

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't want it to be too automated, because at that point, why even have the life sim stuff at all anymore? I'd stick to just making the Digimon less needy, more hardy, and more autonomous.
I understand. I'm not saying the whole thing should be automated just the Important stuff Food/Pooping/Health/Training, maybe just one of those things.Or better yet there can be automated functions with Restrictions or payments that'd make things a bit more exiting!

kintang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What Glitch?
Turns out it's not Meramon, but Digitamamon's food that is glitched. After Digitamamon is recruited he will sell food at the restaurant. His food has a stat boosting effect. However there is a glitch where his food will not satiate your mons. As such you can keep feeding your mon until you have the maximum stat, if you have the bits to support it. But this is pretty much near end game already, so you may have no need for this glitch yet. But this is another glitch that you may already have access to: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/913684-digimon-world/45263356