Team Swap?

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is something I've been muddling over since this morning, and quite literally, this very second came up with an alternate means to retain the 02 cast while keeping them all within the continuity of Adventure.

As we all know, the original Adventure canon (sans 02) has been expanded with each new film debuting in the franchise. As we learn in Tri and Kizuna, there were two Chosen Children who would have been contemporaries of the original Adventure brigade. Both Maiko and Menoa, along with Ken (In-Universe he's technically an OG, in spite of being introduced in 02.) are Chosen Children that existed devoid of a team. We see in both Ken and Menoa the pitfalls of DigiDestined left to their own devices, and to a lesser degree, the same is true of Maiko and Meicoomoon. That taken into consideration, they are introduced much later into the franchise with very little in the way of character development, though their storylines are quite interesting and add much-needed depth and lore to the Adventure canon.

It made me wonder if they do consider rebooting 02, or rather, retconning it, perhaps they might consider using that trio, instead of Davis, Yolei, and Cody. I have misgivings about adding Ryo, but given his past relationship with Ken, perhaps he could figure into the reboot. Anyway, perhaps this is a feature of the dub, but I generally found them uninteresting and caricatures of the children they were meant to replace. Not to get into the matter too exhaustively, but were they to be included in some way shape, or form, I'd elect for them to be the children of the original cast. I wouldn't be against them having their own series, after a new threat presents itself within the digital world (I'm all for Armor Evolution.), with the same partners, but perhaps with their own set of Virtues. Yolei could possess Justice, Cody would have Prudence, and oddly enough, and Davis would have Chastity (I'm not sure how different this one is from Mimi's Sincerity..., so I am open to suggestions. Sorry for the detour into fan-fic territory!) As for Menoa, Ken, and Maiko, I think the theme of Kizuna works quite well in the context of a series. Menoa becoming corrupted over the loss of Morphomon and conducting experiments to restore her partner, Ken could retain his storyline with the loss of Sam (In spite of being a Ken and Kari shipper, I like the pairing of Menoa and Ken...), and Maiko would be the odd one out, but who somehow gets wrapped between the former two, which results in the corruption of Meicoomon.

I apologize for this coming off more like a fan-fic, but the more I think about the expanded canon of the original 01 cast, and how those events concerning them played out in the movie, the more I think that the way 02 played out, in retrospect, could have been resolved. The story for the cast of Adventure would have been finalized, without constantly revisiting them later on to resolve their stories. I believe the epilogue of 02 and the ending of Kizuna can coexist with an actual new generation of children, with their own unique partner digimon. The epilogue was bizarre in that it gives the impression that the OG partners gave birth to their children's partner digimon by them being replicas of their parent's partners (Perhaps this is how some resolve Kizuna's ending?). And yes, I have my own headcanon for whose child each of the new children from 02 would be.

But yes, a rebooted and retconned expanded universe of OG Adventure could work with the introduction of Ken, Maiko, Menoa, and possbly Ryo.

Xadhoom

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I'm gonna say that this isn't a good idea. This whole fanfiction outline is about 80% standard-fare "ZeRo TwO sUcKs", with the remaining 20% being bending over to look at "X" and say "Y" instead, which unsurprisingly does not a good fanfic make.

came up with an alternate means to retain the 02 cast
There's no need for one.

existed devoid of a team
The Zero Two team continue to exist.

Ken and Menoa the pitfalls of DigiDestined left to their own devices,
UUUUH?

The whole Kaiser Ken situation happened exactly because he wasn't "left to his own devices" - had external influences like the Spore to drive him to villainy, like the Ocean to enable him, like Osamu's death to traumatize him.

The whole narrative point of the Kindness Crest was to show even to him that this is his core quality.

In-Universe he's technically an OG
In-universe, Ken came a few months after Tai's team and even Ryo, and didn't meet them until 02. You're overestimating how important his Crest is.

Virtues. Yolei could possess Justice, Cody would have Prudence, and oddly enough, and Davis would have Chastity
That's a fairly typical idea, and like it usually does, it doesn't quite make sense.

"I dislike that the 02 team are like their predecessors... which is why I wanna make them even more like them".

Ken could retain his storyline with the loss of Sam
Not without Daisuke, no. You're overlooking how essential he is to it.

The story for the cast of Adventure would have been finalized,
Well, it didn't stop anything, so... 'waves hand'

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanna keep Davis, Yolei and Cody.
Can you provide a reason for it?

As we saw in Tri and Kizuna, the 02 Cast didn't really serve much purpose in the broader expanded canon of Adventure. They were more of an afterthought to the plot of the film, if at all.

No Armor or Jogress evolution needed.

Considering that the 02 cast was much younger, wouldn't it have been the ideal opportunity to feature them contra Menoa? After all, the torch had already been past from the OG team to the new team demonstrating how those relationships evolve etc. So the fact that the creators overlooked the 02 team within both films, leads me to the conclusion that they're not quite the intended successors within the Adventure verse. TK and Kari in spite of belonging to both teams are highlighted in relation to the OG group.

They (02 Cast) could just as easily be replaced with the figures from the two new films within the Adventure franchise.

The more I reflect on it, the more I realize that Kizuna is an homage to the first Digimon film. Both Tai and Matt managing to go beyond Mega ✔, Sora being available but unable to battle ✔, Izzy being able to put all the pieces together ✔, and Morphomon basically being no different than Diaboromon ✔. Mind you, I liked the thematic content of Kizuna, but there are ways in which the Neverland theme could have been better handled (Side note: Is there some sort of bidding war where certain children's classics get reworked across different franchises? World of Winx reworked the Neverland story as well. Honestly, maybe Maki should have been the antagonist of Kizuna if they were going to go the route of dreams. Tapirmon fits within that lore.).

Kyaromonfan96

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanna keep Davis, Yolei and Cody.
Can you provide a reason for it?

As we saw in Tri and Kizuna, the 02 Cast didn't really serve much purpose in the broader expanded canon of Adventure. They were more of an afterthought to the plot of the film, if at all.

No Armor or Jogress evolution needed.

Considering that the 02 cast was much younger, wouldn't it have been the ideal opportunity to feature them contra Menoa? After all, the torch had already been past from the OG team to the new team demonstrating how those relationships evolve etc. So the fact that the creators overlooked the 02 team within both films, leads me to the conclusion that they're not quite the intended successors within the Adventure verse. TK and Kari in spite of belonging to both teams are highlighted in relation to the OG group.

They (02 Cast) could just as easily be replaced with the figures from the two new films within the Adventure franchise.

The more I reflect on it, the more I realize that Kizuna is an homage to the first Digimon film. Both Tai and Matt managing to go beyond Mega ✔, Sora being available but unable to battle ✔, Izzy being able to put all the pieces together ✔, and Morphomon basically being no different than Diaboromon ✔. Mind you, I liked the thematic content of Kizuna, but there are ways in which the Neverland theme could have been better handled (Side note: Is there some sort of bidding war where certain children's classics get reworked across different franchises? World of Winx reworked the Neverland story as well. Honestly, maybe Maki should have been the antagonist of Kizuna if they were going to go the route of dreams. Tapirmon fits within that lore.).
No, I prefer them in the 02 Reboot

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While replacing the 02 cast with characters from the newer movies might be interesting, I don’t think it’s necessary, and it certainly isn’t what Toei will do if they have a reboot equivalent of 02. Might make for a good fanfic, though. My general opinion resembles Xadhoom’s.

Anyway, perhaps this is a feature of the dub, but I generally found them uninteresting and caricatures of the children they were meant to replace.
Partly. Daisuke suffered the most from the dub, which exaggerated his idiotic side and stripped him of what emotional depth he had.

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I'm gonna say that this isn't a good idea. This whole fanfiction outline is about 80% standard-fare "ZeRo TwO sUcKs", with the remaining 20% being bending over to look at "X" and say "Y" instead, which unsurprisingly does not a good fanfic make.

came up with an alternate means to retain the 02 cast
There's no need for one.

existed devoid of a team
The Zero Two team continue to exist.

Ken and Menoa the pitfalls of DigiDestined left to their own devices,
UUUUH?

The whole Kaiser Ken situation happened exactly because he wasn't "left to his own devices" - had external influences like the Spore to drive him to villainy, like the Ocean to enable him, like Osamu's death to traumatize him.

The whole narrative point of the Kindness Crest was to show even to him that this is his core quality.

In-Universe he's technically an OG
In-universe, Ken came a few months after Tai's team and even Ryo, and didn't meet them until 02. You're overestimating how important his Crest is.

Virtues. Yolei could possess Justice, Cody would have Prudence, and oddly enough, and Davis would have Chastity
That's a fairly typical idea, and like it usually does, it doesn't quite make sense.

"I dislike that the 02 team are like their predecessors... which is why I wanna make them even more like them".

Ken could retain his storyline with the loss of Sam
Not without Daisuke, no. You're overlooking how essential he is to it.

The story for the cast of Adventure would have been finalized,
Well, it didn't stop anything, so... 'waves hand'
I made a concerted effort to veer away from going to in depth into fanfic territory, after acknowledging that it might be understood in such a way.

I have no qualms in stating that I am not the biggest fan of 02. I find the narrative sloppy and incohesive. That's my opinion.

Ken may have come to be corrupted to the point of becoming the Digimon Emperor by the spore, but it was due to the personal tragedy he faced which provided fertile soil for it to grow. The two go hand in hand. If memory serves, Kari is the one to cite that Ken didn't have the benefit of a team to support him, though that may be particular to the dub. So my point still stands. It makes no sense to give him a Crest, an original digivice if it weren't tied in somehow. I'm not quite sure if the creators of Adventure had in mine the twelve Aristotle virtues, but they seem to line up for the most part with the one's given to most of the Chosen Children.

As to my making them more like them, not quite.

As obnoxious as I found Yolei in 02, I didn't find her to be a natural successor to Sora or Mimi. I think she was just assigned the crests because she was the only other girl on the team, so why not. Her main motivation throughout was Justice. She could be as bull headed as Tai, but likewise methodical in her approach like Izzy in passing judgment. Cody was overly cautious to the point of being an afterthought. I recall a video where someone said that the only reason he Jogresses with TK is because no one else was left. He embodied Prudence in my opinion, and for the hard time I give Davis, I see him possessing Chastity. But I digress.

My point was to include Menoa, Maiko, and Ken within the expanded canon of the OG Adventure cast, because of the content of the most recent films.

I

Kyaromonfan96

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And maybe they can have some kids (Not seen in the original) with Digimon

JR9386

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And maybe they can have some kids (Not seen in the original) with Digimon
Want to make sure I'm following this...