Tailmon->Examon. Canon?

someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I know that all games, cards, and anime evolutions are canon, but... this one seems really ridiculous.

Is it canon?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's canon in All-Star Rumble. After Tailmon/Angewomon defeats Examon in the story mode, she gains Examon as an alternate evolution.

someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's canon in All-Star Rumble. After Tailmon/Angewomon defeats Examon in the story mode, she gains Examon as an alternate evolution.
Is all-star rumble canon though? I mean, Examon is supposed to be the 2nd largest digimon, and here he's as big as angewomon.

So you're telling me Angewomon->Examon is also legit? Seems really, really weird. There's nothing draconic in tailmon or angewomon. But then again Holydramon is a dragon.

I mean at least piyomon makes a little sense since Examon digivolves from Megadramon which digivolves from Airdramon and Birdramon who are both Piyomon's evolutions. But tailmon???

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All-Star Rumble was made by Prope, who also made Adventure PSP, and was published by Bandai USA/EU. It didn't release in Japan but neither do a lot of products, include some other games.

In addition to all this though, Habu was the producer of the game, in which he also did Lost Evo, Super Xros Wars, Adventure PSP, ReDigitze, Decode, Cyber Sleuth, Hacker's Memory, Next Order PS4, and the upcoming Survive. So it was a Japanese made game for western fans, they just skipped Japan for whatever reason (which is funny, as Bandai actually did say they planned to release it in Japan later in the year when it came out)

Angewomon -> Examon techincally doesn't count as canon though since during battle you choose either to be Angewomon or Examon, rather than Angewomon -> Examon

Hououmon -> Examon can be considered canon though, as in Decode the girl with Hououmon uses a evolution crystal on her Houomon which causes her Hououmon to temporarily become Examon.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, you really have to define what you mean by "canon." Canonicity is fluid in the Digimon franchise.

someonenoone11

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, you really have to define what you mean by "canon." Canonicity is fluid in the Digimon franchise.
If a digivolution happens in adventure 1 (greymon->skullgreymon) then it's possible in every single other anime, manga, video game, etc. even though it is not shown.

I doubt digimon does something like "it's only valid in anime1 and it's not valid in anime2" or stuff like that. Or retcons.

So my thinking was, if it happened once in whatever canon media, then it can happen in every media, we just don't see it. So it doesn't matter if the digivolution happened in XROS, or CS, or whatever. It's a canon evolution.

But it seems all star rumble has just as much legitimacy as digimon dusk, world championship, cyber sleuth, etc. so I guess tailmon->Examon is a real thing that can happen to any tailmons.

Angewomon -> Examon techincally doesn't count as canon though since during battle you choose either to be Angewomon or Examon, rather than Angewomon -> Examon

Yes it does. You have Agumon->WarGreymon changing to Agumon->Omegamon. Since WarGreymon->Omegamon, by this logic Angewomon->Examon.
Also Shoutmon-> X4, Shoutmon->X5B
And Veemon->ExVeemon, Veemon->ImperialdramonFM
And Guilmon->WarGrowlmon, Guilmon->Dukemon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_All-Star_Rumble

Find one "Super" form that isn't an evolution of the "Digivolved" form. : )

Last edited:

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Tailmon can become Holydramon then I don't see why it can't also become Examon.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do the creators of the various games, animated series etc care enough about what has happened in other installments of the franchise to even be concerned with doing things canonically? I'd argue that the only two measures of some relative canonicity across the franchise are popularity/exposure and at a stretch the default originally intended relationships. The rest is mere speculation/head-canon on our part that is just as likely to be proven right or disproved time and again with every new release.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The original V-Pets had lines like Gabumon>Garurumon>MetalMamemon

I wouldn’t fret over trying to make sense of evolution lines in the wider canon.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dont believe these types of evolution to be cannon at all.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The original V-Pets had lines like Gabumon>Garurumon>MetalMamemon

I wouldn’t fret over trying to make sense of evolution lines in the wider canon.
Yeah this. I feel like most of the time that we're trying to decide whether an evolutionary line is "canon" or not is based off the theme or aesthetics, when from the very beginning of the franchise they've always had seemingly random Digimon at each stage for any of the starters you had. If I'm not mistaken, the creators have never said that all evolutions across the games or other media were not canon, so I don't think there's really a reason to believe otherwise.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not only have the creators never said that Digivolutions outside the anime were not canon, they have said something to the effect of any Digimon can become any other Digimon in theory.

The only reason folks have hangups about "canon" Digivolutions is because we're so used to the linear Evolution from franchises like Pokémon that Digimon's Tamagotchi influenced branching system is completely foreign to fans.

Last edited:

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only reason folks have hangups about "canon" Digivolutions is because we're so used to the linear Evolution from franchises like Pokémon that Digimon's Tamagotchi influenced branching system is completely foreign to fans.
I do think the anime at least tries to have more aesthetically sound evolution chains than the wider canon (You would probably never see a Biyomon evolve into a Leomon in any anime for example) however any evolution line released by Bandai is canon. Is it weird and nonsensical that Agumon can evolve into Devimon who can then evolve into Skullgreymon? Yes. Is it canon? Also yes

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, Adventure tried to have lines that were at least loosely connected by theme while Tamers and to a lesser degree 02 introduced linear Digivolution with Data Squad giving a mix of loosely themed and linear lines.