Survive Updates- More Digimon, Battle/Map/Dialogue screens, Game running on Unity?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Game update time!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

A few different Survive updates from a stack of screenshots.

It isn't 100% clear where these were originally originally sources from, but one of the shots towards the end suggests possibly a leak from a developer. A number of these being part of a future official site update focused on Saki and Floramon wouldn't be a shock though.

The first screenshot above shows your map screen on a smartphone. It shows the current members of your team, along with a few locations to go including: Cherry Blossoms, Road Leading to Mountain, and Tunnel.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This shows a selection reticle to start a conversation with Saki and Ryo.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Then we have a few conversations with Saki and Floramon.

In the first shot Saki is asking if you are with Aoi, along with something that isn't translating cleanly at the moment.
The second shot has Floramon telling you someone is being chased.
The third one has Floramon telling you it'll be hard to help because it's already in front of an enemy.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Then we get some battle shots.

In the first shot Fangmon appears to be talking to your team before the battle begins (a boss or miniboss perhaps.) It appears he's asking what someone is saying.
The second shot shows the middle of a battle.
The third shot it appears Betamon has damaged Floramon.

Now, in one of the shots above we see a mouse cursor, which could have just been a snapshot of a video clip, but the last screenshots suggests some (all?) of these may have come from a developer.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The message onscreen is telling you the victory condition is to defeat all enemies.

The game is shown running in the Unity editor, so it appears the game is running on Unity.

This would also explain why they are using new assets for the Digimon instead of the pre-existing models that have been used in a number of games, and upgraded over the years.

The last time they did a game in Unity (Next Order), they had extreme performance issues, and with Survive planned for multiplatform from early on, avoiding those assets and using new lighter assets appears to be their way to avoid this issue for Survive while still using Unity.

Interestingly this handful of screenshots appears to have given us some relatively solid info on Survive.

Update- Thanks to Gematsu for correctly identifying the source of the images as the Bandai-Namco Weibo account. The mouse in one shot, and OS elements in another are likely just mistakes made while screenshotting I guess.

Digimon Survive can currently be pre-ordered at Amazon.com: (affiliate links)
Digimon Survive for PS4
Digimon Survive for Switch
Digimon Survive for Xbox One

Survive is currently scheduled for 2020.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No way. It's Fangmon! Wow Labramon better get him!

Floramon looks pretty much like that certain Pokemon starter...

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, that screenshot of the characters standing around where you move the cursor over them to engage interaction *really* reminds me of Danganronpa. Not that I really mind. :p

Though Ryo appearing with Saki seems to imply you can have him survive past the Dokugumon incident it seems.

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Big fan of Fangmon's debut in a non-TCG game. I also really like the aesthetic of cartoonish, almost 2-D, Digimon models on a realistic background. Reminds me of a Paper Mario style.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think rather than them using new models for Survive is just so it can have its own unique style and that we'll be back to the normal 3D models for the next Story game.

Fangmon's first ever playable appaerence, not counting card/medals is neat, and that seems to be the theme for most Digimon. Shame Fangmon probably shuts down Doggymon's chances, I really wanted him. (theyre both Data and dogs, so Fangmon sears his niche). Oh well. Oh and Betamon is confirmed, too. We're up to 26 Digimon (including Koromon).

First time we've seen Floramon in battle, and also this is the first theyve shown you can have at least four people in battle. I wonder if this was always intended, or they added it later. Either way in a game like this, four is better than the three of the story games.

If it did get leaked and Bandai find out who, uh oh. At least it's nothing too "ground breaking". Maybe the guy wanted us to have a Xmas gift lol

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think rather than them using new models for Survive is just so it can have its own unique style and that we'll be back to the normal 3D models for the next Story game.
It's hard to take it as a stylistic choice when the last time they did this the game didn't run correctly, and they were unable to fix it.

Rather they skipped trying this time and went with something else.

Which isn't a bad choice, but it isn't a stylistic choice when based on (minimal to be fair) evidence, the existing ones were unlikely to work (as they didn't really work the last time they used Unity.)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that's interesting. I wonder how these got out. But this could be a good game.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's hard to take it as a stylistic choice when the last time they did this the game didn't run correctly, and they were unable to fix it.

Rather they skipped trying this time and went with something else.

Which isn't a bad choice, but it isn't a stylistic choice when based on (minimal to be fair) evidence, the existing ones were unlikely to work (as they didn't really work the last time they used Unity.)
I think the problems were mainly the Vita version, I never really ran into any problems on the PS4. there were some frame drops in some of the bigger areas, but that's to be expected tbh. ive played games with way worse frame drops on ps4. I guess whether theyre doing it for style choices or not, the next story game is confirmed to have a new engine so im sure they'd make sure the engine can run their existing models properly so they don't have to start again

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the problems were mainly the Vita version, I never really ran into any problems on the PS4. there were some frame drops in some of the bigger areas, but that's to be expected tbh. I guess whether theyre doing it for style choices or not, the next story game is confirmed to have a new engine so im sure they'd make sure the engine can run their existing models properly so they don't have to start again
I don't believe they talked about a new engine. The last comment on the engine that I remember was that for a PS4 'from scratch' game they'd have to rebuild the current engine and redo the graphics.

That doesn't necessarily equate to a new engine, it may just be referring to tweaking an old engine to work properly on new hardware, instead of doing vanilla ports.

And the PS4 versions of Next Order did have issues, including more than a few issues with framerate, it just was less problematic than Vita, which was borderline unplayable.

If brute forcing what they had on the PS4 didn't work, then they were never able to get their stuff optimized to work properly in the engine, which makes it unusable for their purposes.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the problems were mainly the Vita version, I never really ran into any problems on the PS4. there were some frame drops in some of the bigger areas, but that's to be expected tbh. I guess whether theyre doing it for style choices or not, the next story game is confirmed to have a new engine so im sure they'd make sure the engine can run their existing models properly so they don't have to start again
I don't believe they talked about a new engine. The last comment on the engine that I remember was that for a PS4 'from scratch' game they'd have to rebuild the current engine and redo the graphics.

That doesn't necessarily equate to a new engine, it may just be referring to tweaking an old engine to work properly on new hardware, instead of doing vanilla ports.

And the PS4 versions of Next Order did have issues, including more than a few issues with framerate, it just was less problematic than Vita, which was borderline unplayable.

If brute forcing what they had on the PS4 didn't work, then they were never able to get their stuff optimized to work properly in the engine, which makes it unusable for their purposes.
Fair enough, I guess saying it that way makes people assume they'd be making a new one from scratch, but I guess we'll see once they start talking about the next Story game in like 2 weeks, cuz they love to "over shadow" survive by bringing it up so much lol

whatever the matter, let's just hope both games are super lit.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, Fangmon! I love that Digimon so it’s nice to see it getting a proper appearance finally.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember people wondering if this game would lean into dating sim elements, so it's interesting to see Saki ask if Takuma and Aoi are together lol.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember people wondering if this game would lean into dating sim elements, so it's interesting to see Saki ask if Takuma and Aoi are together lol.
It could be along the lines of Takuma and Aoi got lost and then Saki finds Takuma and asks if Aoi was with him lol (that's be slightly amusing after the context of just her asking in this pic)

but bring on the dating!

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope that fangmon has awesome story behind it, his profile is neat.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope that fangmon has awesome story behind it, his profile is neat.
The DRB talks about how it can transform itself into "someone dear" to its prey to make it easier to kill them. ...I wonder if Fangmon will pretend to be one of the main cast so that it can kill another member of the cast? it even talks about how Fangmon lives in the forests to do this, and the main area we've seen is a forest.

...uh oh

Katsu Hikaru

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Geez if digimon like Diatrymon and now even Fangmon are in Digimon survive I'm extremely curious what the mega level digimon will be in the game from how it's looking i can assume we won't be getting a new Digimon possibly which is fine with me seeing uncommon ones is still very nice.

Kind of hoping but doubt though that Huanglongmon can be the final boss would be nice to see him again since unlike the Four Holy beast he very rarely is ever seen.

Toastline

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, Fangmon! It looks slightly off somehow, but it's a cool surprise to see 'em get more appearances! :O
I wonder what other less-used Digis we might see...

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It could be along the lines of Takuma and Aoi got lost and then Saki finds Takuma and asks if Aoi was with him lol (that's be slightly amusing after the context of just her asking in this pic)
That's more or less it, considering the noun for "together" refers to being in a group and Saki says "Aoi Chan-tachi" meaning "Aoi and the rest". It seems from the scraps of dialogue that Fangmon may ambush them in the forest which causes them to split up and they later regroup together on top of the dam(?) where Fangmon attacks again leading to a boss fight.

Also interesting that Saki mentions a "Miu-chan". I don't recall if we've seen someone by that name? Feel free to correct me though.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's more or less it, considering the noun for "together" refers to being in a group and Saki says "Aoi Chan-tachi" meaning "Aoi and the rest". It seems from the scraps of dialogue that Fangmon may ambush them in the forest which causes them to split up and they later regroup together on top of the dam(?) where Fangmon attacks again leading to a boss fight.

Also interesting that Saki mentions a "Miu-chan". I don't recall if we've seen someone by that name? Feel free to correct me though.
miu is the girl in the hat that has a so far un-named brother.