MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A few different things to go over!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

First up, Digimon Survive! Survive recently appeared in Famitsu and the Survive website got an update for Shuji and Lopmon!

The information is generally expansions (or identical) to what we've seen before, but now that we have good clean art for the newest Survive duo it seemed like a good time to go over it again.

Boys and girls who have wandered into another world, travel on a dangerous adventure with monsters in order to find their way home. In this article, we will be introducing one of Takuma Momotsuka's friends, Shuji Kayama and his partner Lopmon.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Shuji Kayama (CV: Yuya Hirose) [His profile is a decent degree different in both places, so we are including both.]

[From Famitsu] An agreeable young man, with a kind and gentle personality, who has the trust of those around him. He often takes leadership and works to pull his friends forward even in the other world.
In the other world where common sense doesn't work, his feelings get ahead of him, making him face his own weaknesses.

[From Survive website] A first-year high school student who joins the extracurricular camp as a helper. He is an agreeable, kind and gentle young man who everyone trusts highly. Although Takuma and co look upon him as the reliable leader, when he wanders into a world where his common sense isn't applicable, it's discovered that he has a weak side where his enthusiasm gets ahead of him and he is unable to act, instead putting the blame on others and the environment.

Lopmon (CV: Naomi Ozora)
A mysterious beast-type monster with three horns on its head. Shuji finds its innocent and childlike personality disagreeable, considering it to be lazy, which it feels lonely about.

Famitsu also gives more information on the smartphone camera, which has been mentioned a number of times recently.

When Takuma and company wander into the other world, without knowing just how dangerous it is, they take photos of the whimsical world with their smartphones. From there, they find creatures that can't be seen by human eyes! In this world, there exist "creatures" that humans can't see, but can sometimes be picked up through electronic devices. By investigating suspicious places with the smartphone camera, they find new discoveries! Various items can be found, such as keys that help with searching, hidden monsters, items that make your monster stronger, etc. If you think a place is worth looking into, take a photo.
If you turn on the smartphone camera and see static, that's a sign that something is there.

Digimon Survive can currently be pre-ordered at Amazon.com: (affiliate links)
Digimon Survive for PS4
Digimon Survive for Switch
Digimon Survive for Xbox One

Survive is currently scheduled for 2020.

Next up, something a bit fun and different...

Recently Habu was musing on elements of the Digital World on Twitter, and Watanabe responded, and they had some back and forth that gives us some interesting discussion on the worlds themselves, especially regarding Witchelny. Some of these are responses, others are more musings. The links to the original tweets will be in the name at the beginning of the translated tweet.

Habu: There are apparently 3 digital words: the digital world controlled by Yggdrasil, the Iliad controlled by Homeros, and a third digital world.

Habu: There's a mistake in thinking that Witchelny is the third digital world. Witchelny is actually a digital world that's a parallel world.

Watanabe: But Witchelny isn't actually a digital world originally. It's another world, for sure, but... I guess nowadays that's being interpreted differently?

Habu: I think by the time I got involved with Digimon, it was already set that way. (Link to MedievalDukemon's profile that mentions Witchelny as a digital world from another dimension.)

Watanabe: I apologize. It looks like that happened at the time when X-antibodies were born, and I left Digimon to work on Legendz.

Watanabe: When I participated in the project, Witchelny was a world of magic based on the Magical Witches world. Since I made the characters, I also collaborated it with different products. I loved seeing the same characters in different stories, much like something that Leiji Matsumoto-sensei would make.

Watanabe: But well, with 20 years passing, the person in charge changes from time to time and it's not like the thought process at the beginning is taken on without changes to it. I guess it's better to leave it interesting by viewing each (person in charge) person's unique interpretation with each passing time~ (^^;;

Habu: In order to put together the setting establishments for the new Digimon Story, I found this out while reviewing various things. It was a surprise to me to see these settings that I didn't know about that had been made years and years in the past.

Habu: The establishment that there are 3 digital worlds is the setting for the LCD game "Digital Monster." I think the setting for the digital world was depicted in a wholly different way for the anime and the old games.

Habu: I didn't think that I could skillfully match the setting of the LCD game with the anime setting for Cyber Sleuth, so I made the story about how people's perception of an AI program in the network, by knowing more and more about Digimon, changes to a perception of creatures from another world.

Habu: Survive's world-building is made through my discussions with Director Kakudou, with the Digimon and humans thought up during the anime's production, as well as ideas on the relationship between the Digital world and human world, as its starting point.

Some interesting elements, especially how it came up while working on the new Digimon Story game.

And last up, an art update for the Digimon Card Game!

Most recently we got a preview of art from 2 cards in the Cocytus Blue starter set. This time we get a preview of Heavens Yellow!

The Salamon art is drawn by Tonamikanji and features her running in a field with Nyaromon.

Patamon is drawn by Nakano Haito and is flying and having fun in the Village of Beginnings.

We gave a short intro for both artists in a prior article here.

Digimon Card Game pre-orders are open and details can be found here.

Thanks to HDKirin for the Famitsu image and onkei for a whole bunch of translations.

Update- Updated the translation of the tweets. Something didn't get copy pasted in when I was cleaning it up last night.

Attachments

Last edited:

Katsu Hikaru

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really love how they're clarifying on old things and expanding on the lore for Digimon so we have 3 Digital world's one maintain by Yggdrasil and Homeros who rules Iliad. So we possibly be getting another intangible being who rules the 3rd Digital world hopefully we get games about the other 2 since most take place where Yggdrasil governs.

I wonder how much longer we have 2 wait for Survive now honestly another interesting pair who's personalities are not extremely similar with Shuji being the hard working including responsible leader while Lopmon is the lazy and childish one very curious to see how their relationship will progress in the story.

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always fascinating to hear mechanics behind the Digital World.

Still sad we don't have a release date yet. :(

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I took the “third world” to be Yggy’s old Digital World post-X-Program since they mentioned the LCD games (which immediately brings to mind the recent X series, personally).

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Shuuji is a dick. Good to know. Interesting back story about his family tho. also his Lopmon is clearly gonna dark digivolve to Wendigomon. We even already saw Wendigomon as an enemy in some old screenshots. Pretty neat both Lopmon Champions get into the game since they usually go with just one.

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The third by Eniac.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The third by Eniac.
Bringing Eniac back after so long would certainly be interesting. It's the host computer of Tamers I believe? would be interesting if the Tamers Digital World is considered a different archetype to the Yggy and Homeoros Worlds, though I get the feeling Habu might be hinting that the next Story game will be set in this "third world" and we might end up with a new God and new "Royal Knight/Olympos" type group. Rather than that, I'd prefer they flesh out Illiad.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Every bit of new news i see makes this game look better and better. Looks like a awesome game that I'm gonna spend a lot of hours playing. Cant wait to do the mobile phone picture thing lol

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated the translation of the tweets. Something didn't get copy pasted in when I was cleaning it up last night.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the added details of those tweets, it definitely sounds like Habu was looking into either Witchelny, Illiad, or both for the new Story game. Pretty interesting.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Three digital worlds. Wow I thought Illiad might be another largest "Heaven" island but I didn't expect it to be the other entire world.
Odd, the third world...There is nothing to add some interesting things?

I bet both worlds are controlled by those computers are probably not the safest and "peaceful" worlds for sure...

So Kenji just left the person in charge who kept getting changed? No wonder the digimon lore seemed so vague and... Loose?

GrungeCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Shuuji is a dick. Good to know. Interesting back story about his family tho. also his Lopmon is clearly gonna dark digivolve to Wendigomon. We even already saw Wendigomon as an enemy in some old screenshots. Pretty neat both Lopmon Champions get into the game since they usually go with just one.
Wow, already time for another episode of Fantiastical Leaps of Zero Logic. I love this show. This episode is about the "agreeable, kind and gentle young man who everyone trusts highly" and has a mild annoyance for his free-spirited partner (see also, Jiang and Jou).

Anyways, the interview is hilarious that it's basically just one shruggy face.

What I'm not sure about is this segment on Smartphone in survive:
In this world, there exist "creatures" that humans can't see, but can sometimes be picked up through electronic devices. By investigating suspicious places with the smartphone camera, they find new discoveries! Various items can be found, such as keys that help with searching, hidden monsters, items that make your monster stronger, etc. If you think a place is worth looking into, take a photo.
Has this always been the case, or am I crazy in not remembering this tidbit? None of the screenshots show them using a phone to interact with Digimon to my knowledge and it kind of screams a cross-platform with a smartphone app for the game which I also don't recall seeing any hint of.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol can someone explain what Habu meant? i didnt really understand.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol can someone explain what Habu meant? i didnt really understand.
Habu was explaining that as he was going through Digimon background documents as research for the new Digimon Story game, he was discovering details about how the worlds were imagined early in the franchise that he was unaware of.

Him and Kenji Watanabe ended up discussing some of those, including some Witchelny details Watanabe was unaware of, as he was working on a different franchise at the time, and that information hasn't really come up or been super relevant since.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. But instead of him doing research for the new game shouldn't he really be focusing on getting Digimon Survive out first? i don't expect the new story game to come out until 2022 lol.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. But instead of him doing research for the new game shouldn't he really be focusing on getting Digimon Survive out first? i don't expect the new story game to come out until 2022 lol.
hes working on both games. the next story game has been in development since around 2016/17 and was worked on alongside hackers memory

so it easily could be out in 2021

so I imagine he's splitting his work up. maybe 75% survive and 25% story

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hes working on both games. the next story game has been in development since around 2016/17 and was worked on alongside hackers memory

so I imagine he's splitting his work up. maybe 75% s
urvive and 25% story
So will the new story game be a cyber sleuth or not?

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

urvive and 25% story
No, the Cyber Sleuth mini series is over. It's a Story game, but it's not part of Cyber Sleuth.

Sarabande__

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

urvive and 25% story
No, the Cyber Sleuth mini series is over. It's a Story game, but it's not part of Cyber Sleuth.
Oh cool i wonder what it will be like. Do you have any expectations or is there anything your hoping to see? like new mechanics or anything?