Survive Rated by Australian Ratings Board

shynely

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Boy I hope its not January, since *that franchise* will be having a big release then
I dont want a repeat of that Appmon 3ds game
I wasn't in the fandom back then. What happened?

I presume it's the poor timing of Appmon 3DS launching about two weeks after Sun and Moon.

Sarabande__

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm Australian and a PG rating is basically for kids and the cyber sleuths were PG. But anyway this still doesn't really mean anything to me because I wouldn't really classify this as anything important but I could be wrong some interesting news could maybe be coming. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope this game will be a very very good game, after all the things.

Sarabande__

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope this game will be a very very good game, after all the things.
So do I bro me and another friend which is a user of wtw talk about survive atleast 3 times a week and we have for years. We did speak about it everyday for a long time but the delays got to us and we tried to block it out lol. I'm hoping with these delays they have added more digimon because that was really the only thing I wasn't happy with when they announced it.

JonVonBasslake

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To all the naysayers fearing cancellation, why would it be rated if it was about to be cancelled? Very rarely do games get cancelled this close to release, and yes, getting a rating means they're getting close to release, no more than a few months i'd say. And it's news other than delays, so that's good.

Kami

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You have given me hope. I really want Survive to come out. I love the look of it.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To all the naysayers fearing cancellation, why would it be rated if it was about to be cancelled? Very rarely do games get cancelled this close to release, and yes, getting a rating means they're getting close to release, no more than a few months i'd say. And it's news other than delays, so that's good.
It's not that people think it is "about to be cancelled", it's that people don't think that it's "about to come out" because the game was announced in 2018 for a 2019 release and it's currently 2021 and it's looking like the thing might not be out this year even.

Dragnoran

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyway it seems that, if the pattern holds up, maybe Survive will be out - in English - around January/February 2022 (or maybe even 2 months earlier since those were all applied for in October and this is August)
Boy I hope its not January, since *that franchise* will be having a big release then
didn't they already confirm q3 2022?

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyway it seems that, if the pattern holds up, maybe Survive will be out - in English - around January/February 2022 (or maybe even 2 months earlier since those were all applied for in October and this is August)
didn't they already confirm q3 2022?

Bandai never confirmed anything, that was Toei guessing and Toei are the anime guys not the game guys so they're just guessing, that wasn't real confirmation of a delay.

Also, Q3 2022 fiscal year isnt the same as Q3 2022.

Japanese fiscal year starts in April, so Q1 2022 would be April/May/June 2021. Q2 would be July/August/September 2021, Q3 would be October/November/December 2021, and Q4 would be January/February/March 2022. So all that would mean is "the game will release in October/November/December 2021 or after that."

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Saying that they are guessing effectively suggests you know so little about what those documents mean that no one can trust anything you say regarding them.

You really need to learn to stop commenting on things you don't know anything about because you've decided you need a say. Simply making up details and deciding you need to talk about them serves no purpose, other than to let people know they really shouldn't trust anything you say.

It's an ongoing problem.

Louise

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm just happy to see any news on it, even if it's just a rating. Much like Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 it was announced far too early. That said, still hyped.

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Funnily enough, the Appmon 3ds game is quite addictive and has a very polished mechanics, and on a subjective way, I think it's way more creative than what Pokémon offered at that time.

Anyways back on topic, what we can do as fans is not let the hype for Survive die and let Bandai know that we want the game so bad. It's mainly thanks to the latest games of Habu Kazumasa that Digimon is a thing again in the West in recent years, that should mean something.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyways back on topic, what we can do as fans is not let the hype for Survive die and let Bandai know that we want the game so bad. It's mainly thanks to the latest games of Habu Kazumasa that Digimon is a thing again in the West in recent years, that should mean something.

tri. had already begun to come out by the point CS came out in the west, and licensing for products was in swing in the leadup to that. CS wasn't the crux behind it.

Realistically part of us 'getting' CS was because they could use the energy in the leadup to tri. as promotion lead.

The lack of products for CS in general is because the energy for CS was for the one game, and that was about it, which is why the brand has moved on. It was nice to get a spin off game from it, but that was largest done, by their own admission, because they could build on what they had.

CS did a good job getting game sales in the west, but the idea it somehow was the crux behind the brand itself in the west simply isn't a thing.

As for the general minimal hype for Survive overall. It's hard to have actual hype when they haven't said anything for a year and a half.

Sarabande__

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

As for the general minimal hype for Survive overall. It's hard to have actual hype when they haven't said anything for a year and a half.
I 100% agree you with I've been holding on to hype and trying to create my own while also trying not to forget about it lol there is still a little hype flame in my gut that can't wait but I expect the worst and the worst is we won't see the game for ages still. I'll always expect the worst with it :(

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What this shows, I suppose, given that you have to pay a fee to get games rated in Australia, is that Bandai believes Survive is going to come out, enough to put money down on it.

But it doesn't mean much beyond that. Many are the games that have been rated and still failed to come out in the end.

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

tri. had already begun to come out by the point CS came out in the west, and licensing for products was in swing in the leadup to that. CS wasn't the crux behind it.

Realistically part of us 'getting' CS was because they could use the energy in the leadup to tri. as promotion lead.

The lack of products for CS in general is because the energy for CS was for the one game, and that was about it, which is why the brand has moved on. It was nice to get a spin off game from it, but that was largest done, by their own admission, because they could build on what they had.

CS did a good job getting game sales in the west, but the idea it somehow was the crux behind the brand itself in the west simply isn't a thing.

I partially disagree. CS was able to made it into the West because of how much support the Japanese release had had even among Western fans and the petition to bring more Digimon games to the West, as stated by the producer himself. By the time tri. was even announced at the DigiFes 2015, CS was already out there for several months. But that's even besides the point I was referring to, the core idea behind it is that tri. generally speaking was just a pit stop or reminder for those casual fans that Digimon (Adventure in particular) was still a thing. CS brought actual fans, like fans that were not only playing the game, but also get invested in the lore, and other products the franchise had to offer.

I don't know about the people you get in contact with, but I bought CS because is an amazingly well done and effective game, and something fresh and new for the franchise at that time, not because tri. was coming out. I am not that interested in sequels to begin with, because most of the time it's hard to make characters you already know any more interesting, writters and producers know most people watch a sequel just to catch up with the characters they previously know, so they don't put much effort in terms of plot development.

CS created a legacy of Digimon videogames up until today of which Survive is an active part as well, so I hope the game is at least decent or lives up to the hype. That said, it's true that having high expectations at this point is not an easy task.

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah I feel like Tri only has more merch because its adventure and its easier to market lmao
CS is something is something I still see people getting and then getting into the series as a whole, while tri is either mentioned as a "Ah yeah, that happened" or saying bad things about it
And I dont think Hype for survive is dead, the number of reactions I saw on social media just from these ratings news are on

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I partially disagree. CS was able to made it into the West because of how much support the Japanese release had had even among Western fans and the petition to bring more Digimon games to the West, as stated by the producer himself. By the time tri. was even announced at the DigiFes 2015, CS was already out there for several months. But that's even besides the point I was referring to, the core idea behind it is that tri. generally speaking was just a pit stop or reminder for those casual fans that Digimon (Adventure in particular) was still a thing. CS brought actual fans, like fans that were not only playing the game, but also get invested in the lore, and other products the franchise had to offer.

The companies know this stuff is happening 'before' it's announced. Also, you were talking about the west, not Japan. CS has been pretty solidly sold off the idea of 'anime'. The announcement trailer didn't have Agumon and Gabumon for no reason.

As for the producers story. Sure, he said it. But then his job is hype man. That his story is sort of made up and ignores that you know, he produced a Digimon game in the west 'right before' this kind of belies other details in the story. And of course, the 'actual' stated goal of the petition has yet to happen.

There is also the truth that honestly, and this is my main issue with jumping to things he has said, Habu has said a 'lot' of things in response to fan questions that has never been followed up on, or are basically knee jerk "That's a great idea, I hope some day it can be done" minimal "thumbs up to the fans" responses.

I don't know about the people you get in contact with, but I bought CS because is an amazingly well done and effective game, and something fresh and new for the franchise at that time, not because tri. was coming out. I am not that interested in sequels to begin with, because most of the time it's hard to make characters you already know any more interesting, writters and producers know most people watch a sequel just to catch up with the characters they previously know, so they don't put much effort in terms of plot development.

I mean, most of this doesn't mean much. CS is at most interesting, but it isn't a particularly well made JRPG. It isn't even really fresh (It's a slightly upgraded Story game with a fresh coat of paint.) I don't hate the game, but it's beyond formulaic, with a lot of running back and forth doing very little. It can still be fun, but even among those in the genre, there are stacks of similar.

It's effectively a prettier version of the 90s JRPG anime tie in game. And I enjoy those, but few were great. CS fits into that niche reasonably well.

CS created a legacy of Digimon videogames up until today of which Survive is an active part as well, so I hope the game is at least decent or lives up to the hype. That said, it's true that having high expectations at this point is not an easy task.

I mean, that isn't wrong. But it's also not like we have an army of games behind it.
Next Order was interesting, but they've made clear that it doesn't seem like Digimon World as it is works.
Hacker's Memory was built off the back of CS to have something to make quickly.
The mobile games have done quite a bit more, but they're an entirely different animal.

Survive was sold to us early on as a quick sort of filler game, once again with a LOT taking inspiration from Digimon Adventure, and 3+ years we're still here.

Survive was more interesting when it was announced due to a lack of games in the genre at the time, plus at least a look that was different, even if not 'that' nice (although as time goes on it is aging pretty poorly.) It might still be interesting when it comes out. But there isn't really anything to keep 'actual' hype going.

Yeah I feel like Tri only has more merch because its adventure and its easier to market lmao
CS is something is something I still see people getting and then getting into the series as a whole, while tri is either mentioned as a "Ah yeah, that happened" or saying bad things about it
And I dont think Hype for survive is dead, the number of reactions I saw on social media just from these ratings news are on
People yell on social media about everything. When you look for Digimon stuff, you'll find it.

And of course, the general claim of CS somehow being fresh, special, and creating a new audience doesn't mean much if that audience apparently never existed past the one game. Somehow that claimed to exist audience didn't seem to find HM. Sales in Japan weren't great, and they sort of don't give us HM sales past those early Japanese sales. They simply give us combined CS sales. (To be fair, at this point it'd be hard to not do that, but even when they could, they said very little.)

That group does exist, but it isn't somehow the grand audience some people seems to think exists. They could easily have been making merchandise for years based on that stuff if the audience existed for it.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been holding on to hype and trying to create my own while also trying not to forget about it lol there is still a little hype flame in my gut that can't wait
Don't. Too much hype is dangerous, it's best to keep cool until the thing is launched, not getting too optimistic or pessimistic about it.
Sales in Japan weren't great
Do those account for digital sales? I know other Bamco-subsidiaries will announce game sales as only the domestic sales without mentioning digital ones, which has led to some interesting things like SRW V being announced at something like 250000-300000 sales and then winning an award from Sony for selling at least 500000. (and they still never announced the Switch/Steam port sales, for that matter)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sales in Japan weren't great
Do those account for digital sales? I know other Bamco-subsidiaries will announce game sales as only the domestic sales without mentioning digital ones, which has led to some interesting things like SRW V being announced at something like 250000-300000 sales and then winning an award from Sony for selling at least 500000. (and they still never announced the Switch/Steam port sales, for that matter)

Fair question.

We don't know digital sales (at least as regards early sales. The most up to date numbers they gave when they hit a benchmark appeared to include physical and digital.) We do know that shortly after the game came out Habu made a commented that seemed to make clear the sales weren't where he expected and/or wanted.

I'm not sure the overall data that is available to publishers quickly on digital sales on PSN at the time.

Based on the data we have, it didn't do well in Japan, including the later Switch version (although to be fair, the Switch version wasn't likely expected to do well in Japan.) Habu clearly wasn't happy right after the original HM came out, and they've effectively just treated it as one game numberwise since then. (This isn't necessarily unfair to do for various reasons, but it does serve to obfuscate 'what' HM did in the numbers they give.)

Based on what we've seen, overall it's done well in the West, with that same exception that various early on numbers, the most up to date numbers we have don't break anything apart in any given way.

Cyber Sleuth as a singular thing has done well, no question. It just doesn't appear to have gone past being what it is (with the exception of the one pop-up event they held for it when HM was coming out.)

It effectively only fails as far as sales go if you use the same general guideline as the Tamers Blu-ray box. If your measure of success is changing the brand, it didn't do that. Sold well, people who got it are generally happy with it? Yes.

Last edited: