Survive Delayed, No New Release Date, Update- Still 2020?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Thanks to ryokutya, who has been a great early source of magazine info on Digimon content, we have some negative news to share regarding Digimon Survive (we think it's from Famitsu, which he was posting other info for at roughly the same time.)

So first up, the game has been delayed from 2020 to a release date of TBD/undecided.

Update 2- A Bandai Namco US rep has told Gematsu that listing the game as TBD in Famitsu was a typo from the magazine and the game is still scheduled for 2020.

Earlier Update- Various bits below have been cleaned up.

There is various other information regarding the prior delay when things were being revised (it's mentioned how they stopped publicity at the time while re-evaluating the game.) That appears to be just ryokutya giving background info.

There is also ryokutya speculating on how different the game is from the new anime and his hope they are doing a game to go with that, but that's just him dreaming.

We will hopefully have magazine images soon to see if we get additional details.

Thanks to shin and onkei for translation help.

Attachments

Last edited:

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, thats to be expected anyhow
with things the way they are, i just hope habu and the team are safe

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Disappointed, but not surprised given the circumstances. Game development is difficult at the best of times, let alone right now. Best wishes to the team!

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Saw that coming when we got no news in vjump. If the game gets cancelled in favour of an anime based game that would be really annoying

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Damn I will be patient for it to come out so I better play some Digimon games now to pass the time faster.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Excuse my language but for fuck sake I knew this was gonna happen but still I was hoping it wouldn't. At least they let us know now because I have been wondering whats going on for a while. I'm guessing their next step is to cancel the game. It's like nothing is working out for the production of survive. It's been cursed from the beginning.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oof, poor cursed game. Guess I’ll hope to be playing it summer 2021. Figures Kizuna would steal all the good luck.

Maybe I’ll go old school to one of the DS games I never played to get my fix...

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Saw that coming when we got no news in vjump.
Bingo. Even 20th Digimon Anniversary event where that would just be prime to show something more — nothing.
Game balancing maybe but this isn't AAA project logistics going on. The gut says there's probably been a lot of artistic standoffs with the production given how so much of it is narratively somber and personal.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated some of the translated bits in the news.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be honest since nothing we have seen from this game makes it feel like it was anywhere near complete, this is not exactly bad news? Obviously the current situation of the world played its part in the decision as well, but as long as we are getting it at some point, having more time to flesh it out even further is not a bad thing. The idea that whatever changes may occur could be happening to link/associate it with the anime is a terrible scenario since the anime seems to be taking a polar opposite approach in terms of both world building and flavor...

Edit:
The gut says there's probably been a lot of artistic standoffs with the production given how so much of it is narratively somber and personal.
This is a comprehension question so apologies in advance, but does this mean that he is speculating different people wanted different things and that they couldn't compromise? Am I reading this correctly? That seems to make sense with what Marc added with the update.

Edit2:
If, alternately, they'd want to push it back in favor of an anime-related product, then that's even worse, as I had a lot of hope placed on getting the dose of original Adventure feels that I am craving for from Survive after the Adventure remake did nothing for me in that respect (so far)...

Last edited:

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The gut says there's probably been a lot of artistic standoffs with the production given how so much of it is narratively somber and personal.
This is a comprehension question so apologies in advance, but does this mean that he is speculating different people wanted different things and that they couldn't compromise? Am I reading this correctly? That seems to make sense with what Marc added with the update.
No, that's my bad! I worded it vaguely
That's specifically just my take, since the narrative has elements of being more gritty-real insofar as companions could die, the Digital World is essentially blended with rural real-world, the title and melancholy music. Anime-licensed games don't usually push for such a tonally different atmosphere — I wouldn't be surprised if the team are arguing on how 'Digimon' the game should be.

But the author's musing on just upending the entire thing into a straight-up Adventure: adaptation, if true, would make sense.

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ouch that stings. Praying that everything eventually turns out all right and the game doesn't get cancelled. :(

Katsu Hikaru

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
God freaking dang it like geez I have been waiting for this game for so long even had money saved up literally on the side so i could get it the second it came out but oh well this in way is better then it getting flat out canceled also could end up even better then before I guess I'm buying Gundam Extreme Vs Maxi Boost On after all.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
not the best news to wake up to but like I said with the Adventure: hiatus, I would much rather Habu and the rest of the game development team be healthy above all else. Hopefully we get more details soon on the fate of Survive.
If the game gets cancelled in favour of an anime based game that would be really annoying
That would absolutely break my heart :(
with how much assets went into this game and how public they made the premise including most of the opening cinematic being public as well as how complete some screenshots and footage looks, I would hope those are some signs in favor of an eventual release. I know near completed and even completed games have been cancelled before but I still want to hope the best for a project I've been surviving eagerly for since 2018, when Digimon was a lot more niche than it has been these last few months

Dharakjoo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh man >n<0. That's because of the coronoavirus.

Omnimon Zwart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wish they didn’t announce this game so early in production. Each delay is frustrating to hear. Also wishing we got a new Story or World game coming soon by now. The struggle of being a digimon fan I guess lol

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes the suffering of the digimon fan waiting. But the best thing is, every new digimon gets revealed is like it's your birthday gift every time! Wonderful rewards!!

During this current situation, I hope there are hidden new Digimon game developments won't get delayed so behind. It's weird new Digimon games gotten less and less under the development currently.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, that's my bad! I worded it vaguely
That's specifically just my take, since the narrative has elements of being more gritty-real insofar as companions could die, the Digital World is essentially blended with rural real-world, the title and melancholy music. Anime-licensed games don't usually push for such a tonally different atmosphere — I wouldn't be surprised if the team are arguing on how 'Digimon' the game should be.

But the author's musing on just upending the entire thing into a straight-up Adventure: adaptation, if true, would make sense.
If we do need to get something Adventure-related, I wish we'd get some of Kakudou's scrapped ideas about the original timeline instead. I may have mentioned it before. It would still be Adventure, but also not more of what the current series (or the original) is serving.

I really wish they didn’t announce this game so early in production. Each delay is frustrating to hear. Also wishing we got a new Story or World game coming soon by now. The struggle of being a digimon fan I guess lol
I think they wanted to make sure it is something we are interested in since it's a new kind of game for the franchise, so they were probably only testing the waters back when they announced it.