Summer Wars on Toonami

kote

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I also didn't know was the first segment in the Digimon: Movie (US) was esentially the pilot for the anime serries in Japan.

This I didn't know. That movie had an entirely different animation quality, too high imo for it to simply be a pilot.
Specifically, Movie 1 premiered in Japanese theaters on March 6, 1999, which happened to be one day before the first episode of Adventure aired on Japanese TV on March 7, 1999. :cool:

Ah I see. For a while now I'd been under the misconception that movie 1 was it's own thing based on the toy, that then got picked up and made into Digimon Adventure (Tv). I'm still suprised now that its still refered as a pilot even though it was released a day before the tv serries.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah I see. For a while now I'd been under the misconception that movie 1 was it's own thing based on the toy, that then got picked up and made into Digimon Adventure (Tv). I'm still suprised now that its still refered as a pilot even though it was released a day before the tv serries.

Frankly, I can't recall someone ACTUALLY calling it a pilot. I've heard a few people refer to it as 'akin' to a pilot (mostly in the sense that much of what appears in movie 1 doesn't match the visuals of the series itself, which is common in pilots.)

There is a heavy issue in the fandom of things that were pseudo-rumor or 'passed along' information years ago somehow sticking to the walls as fact because the people who should do their research before commenting (I don't mean your average forum commentary, I mean the people who do videos, or detailed blog tear-downs of things) just go by their memories, often ignoring logic (the most pervasive of these is still the 'show was going to be 13 episodes, but was so popular it was expanded', which... the instant you think about it logically, just does not pass muster, especially when you consider that in all the behind the scenes stuff we've gotten in books and booklets from Japan, it's never been mentioned a single time.)

As for the actual story of how Hosada came to do Bokura no War Game a second time as Summer Wars (...well.... third time actually...) It's likely hidden in some interview in an anime magazine, or in a guide book for Summer Wars that we just never saw. Or it might be something we have no strict answer for but could guess (the visuals and general themes make reappearances in a good number of his works for example.)

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for the actual story of how Hosada came to do Bokura no War Game a second time as Summer Wars (...well.... third time actually...) It's likely hidden in some interview in an anime magazine, or in a guide book for Summer Wars that we just never saw. Or it might be something we have no strict answer for but could guess (the visuals and general themes make reappearances in a good number of his works for example.)
The official guidebook to summer wars is actually avaiable in english (http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Wars-Material-Mamoru-Hosoda/dp/1926778685) so the information probably isn't as inacessible as it would seem. As far as Interviews go, I only found one about his newest movie in wich he just mentiones that Summer wars was based on Digimon but he didn't go into any details.

You mentioned Summer wars technically being the third "remake" of bokura no wargame but what would be the second?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You mentioned Summer wars technically being the third "remake" of bokura no wargame but what would be the second?

Superflat Monogram, also directed by Hosada, is a very short film that uses much of the same imagery and basic setup of it again (it was made before Summer Wars.)

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Superflat Monogram, also directed by Hosada, is a very short film that uses much of the same imagery and basic setup of it again (it was made before Summer Wars.)

Ah, the commercial for Louis Vuitton? I liked the music they paired it with. Several minutes long, no dialogue, all about a 10(?)-year-old girl who gets transported into her cellphone.