Summer Wars on Toonami

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It already aired out East, and is begin to start out West.

Figured I'd make a discussion thread for Summer Wars since it's unlikely to air again on TV for awhile and people might just like to discuss it.

Feel free to discuss the film on it's own merits, on it being a remake of a Digimon film, whatever you want.

Here's Toonami's trailer for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP5aZqEJTaA

Enjoy!

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like I said on Twitter, Summer Wars was a good movie. If I had money, I'd try to find it on DVD. Thank you very much Toonami for airing it. I enjoyed it greatly.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't aim to sound rude here, but I must inquire something.

I'm not a regular viewer of the current Toonami, so I had no idea they were airing this movie. According to the video, it aired last night, to my unawares. I have been wanting to see this movie for some time, so if there was going to be an announcement of its airing on Toonami, wouldn't in have been nicer and more helpful if this announcement came prior to its airing instead of after? Just sayin'.

I mean, to be frank, is there much good in announcing an event's happening after it's already over?

Again, I'm not trying to sound rude. I just don't get the timing of this announcement if it's already come and gone. :confused:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't aim to sound rude here, but I must inquire something.

I'm not a regular viewer of the current Toonami, so I had no idea they were airing this movie. According to the video, it aired last night, to my unawares. I have been wanting to see this movie for some time, so if there was going to be an announcement of its airing on Toonami, wouldn't in have been nicer and more helpful if this announcement came prior to its airing instead of after? Just sayin'.

I mean, to be frank, is there much good in announcing an event's happening after it's already over?

Again, I'm not trying to sound rude. I just don't get the timing of this announcement if it's already come and gone. :confused:

I don't mean to sound rude but...

It's called I have a life, I'm looking for work, and I forgot.

I'm constantly asking for people to help, and very rarely getting volunteers.

It didn't occur to me to post it until a friend was watching it back east and I was commenting on it's relation to Digimon, and even then, it didn't really click. Of course, they announced Summer Wars awhile back and no one has made a discussion thread for it airing on Toonami, so seemingly it didn't occur to anyone else either.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fair enough.

Here's hoping it'll air again at some point in the future. :)

nintenfan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fair enough.

Here's hoping it'll air again at some point in the future. :)

I've been watching Toonami since it's return. They've been showing relatively new shows (Sword Art Online, Soul Eater, Naruto Shippuden is joining in Jan from the start and uncut). This month is a month of movies because the public has been requesting it after Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 have done well. It's probably going to be a while, I don't really expect them to show it again but if you have cable on demand it should be there.

I should've said something myself sorry Marc, Didn't think that many people would want to see Summer Wars here.

Last edited:

Takatofan1986

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel bad now because, I had known about this for several days (DVRed it, still havent watched yet) I spread the word on Tumblr, but I wasn't sure where to post it here, wish I would have now. Sorry guys.

lastlivingkid

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The director, Momoru Hosoda, also directed the films Digimon Adventure and Bokura no Wargame (The first two parts of Digimon the Movie) and episode 21 of Adventure, so any discussion of him and his work is digimon-related as far as I'm concerned. But talking specifically about Summer Wars, it's one of my favorite anime films of all time. It really makes you love the Jinouichi family and is beautifully animated. I vote Hosoda for the next Miyazaki!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh dear, what have I done? ^_^'

I'm at least glad that my point was understood.

Me looking for work potentially creates real and actual issues for the site, as eventually I have to decide what gets cut out due to finances (and minus part time work, I've been looking for full time work for awhile.) It's only through heavy planning that I'm still in as decent a situation as I am (and that's not staying as rosy as it has been.)

Me being less active on the site isn't necessarily by choice, it's because I'm spending time doing other stuff to keep my mood positive, while I look for work and so forth (and to try and balance myself out, as I'm closer to snapping at most points than most people know. I'm just relatively good at hiding my mood.) And frankly, I did snap at you a bit and I'm sorry about that.

I plan on looking harder for more staff soon to help do stuff as I just haven't had the time, which means news has suffered a bit also.

(And since I get asked about it a lot... this is why Card Terminal isn't back up... the server has been at the limit for a long time, and there are serious questions about if Card Terminal is back up with traffic how the forum will handle it.)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been watching Toonami since it's return. They've been showing relatively new shows (Sword Art Online, Soul Eater, Naruto Shippuden is joining in Jan from the start and uncut). This month is a month of movies because the public has been requesting it after Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 have done well. It's probably going to be a while, I don't really expect them to show it again but if you have cable on demand it should be there.
And don't forget Space Dandy! Which is a first run in the US. Toonami has been doing well.

Takatofan1986

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hadn't seen it before and I was really looking forward to it. Finally watched it from my DVR, and I really loved it. People made it seem like it was identical, but there were alot of differences and it went deeper than 'our war game' did. I highly recommend it.

kote

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The director, Momoru Hosoda, also directed the films Digimon Adventure and Bokura no Wargame

People made it seem like it was identical, but there were alot of differences and it went deeper than 'our war game' did. I highly recommend it.

The irony is, That Guy with the Glasses did a Digimon: The Movie review (Oct 2012), and it loads on a still frame of the Summer Wars poster) for the Nostalgia Critic with JesuOtaku. On the Commentary version of it, JesuOtaku brought up the fact again that it was the same director as our war game. What happened was the films were bundled as a mini short to a main anime feature (OnePiece). As such they had to compress everything down to fit within a specific window of time. Our Wargame had a solid premise and at some point the director revisited the script, rewrote the caracters and expanded the plot. Thats where a "full feature" called Summer Wars came from. Like J.O. said "he basicly remade his own film. I knew it looked familiar when the dvd came out but didn't know why untill she pointed it out in that review. What I also didn't know was the first segment in the Digimon: Movie (US) was esentially the pilot for the anime serries in Japan.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I also didn't know was the first segment in the Digimon: Movie (US) was esentially the pilot for the anime serries in Japan.

This I didn't know. That movie had an entirely different animation quality, too high imo for it to simply be a pilot.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I also didn't know was the first segment in the Digimon: Movie (US) was esentially the pilot for the anime serries in Japan.

This I didn't know. That movie had an entirely different animation quality, too high imo for it to simply be a pilot.
Specifically, Movie 1 premiered in Japanese theaters on March 6, 1999, which happened to be one day before the first episode of Adventure aired on Japanese TV on March 7, 1999. :cool:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Yeah, that isn't actually true. That's one of those random bits of 'this is totally true' that's been passed down for years.

Much of the facts given in those types of videos aren't necessarily accurate, they're just 'commonly believed.'

Like this one...

What happened was the films were bundled as a mini short to a main anime feature (OnePiece). As such they had to compress everything down to fit within a specific window of time.

This is junk that shows a heavy misunderstanding of how things were done. Toei would often put multiple films together, and you'd see them together (in fact, they still do this with more than a few things.) The One Piece film that that Bokura no War Game was paired with was roughly 50 minutes long, not inherently different than the length of the Digimon film it was paired with (I believe Digimon was 10 minutes shorter than the paired One Piece film.) They aired together as a double bill.

Nothing was 'compressed', the film was designed to be that length.