State of the Digital World post-Tri

Hoy-Small-Fry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First up, I watched the dub so there may be clarifications from the original version that are lost on me, so please feel free to dispute things!

After finishing Our Future (which I absolutely adored), I was pretty happy that the core plot had wrapped itself up. However there are a few questions that going forward the show leaves open. Obviously there's the whole Dark Gennai thing, but I've been giving the state the Digital World has been left in a lot of thought, as it is something that can really be expanded upon going forward.

Rebooted Threats to the Digital World
The reboot rebooted everything and everyone, regardless of where they died. Which implicitly means that all of the enemies that had previously been defeated are now back in the Digital World (case in point, the re-emergence of Devimon).
What is most curious to me is that this means the Dark Masters are now at large again, or at the very least Puppetmon and Piedmon (not sure if Dark Gennai's pair count). Isn't this a massive cause for concern?!

The Sovereigns
Which leads to this, the lack of the Digimon Sovereigns. I'm not entirely sure what function they served, but if they didn't fight the Dark Masters, are they now void too? I'm assuming potentially not, as Alphamon, Hackmon etc seem unaffected by the reboot, but the re-appearance of Tapirmon does raise the question.

Memories and Partners
Ok so Meicoomon had the memories that Izzy had somehow backed up stored within her, restoring the partner Digimon to their former state. What of everyone else?
It's left very unclear whether Meicoomon had a partner backup or a Digital World backup, so interested to hear thoughts on this. Of particular interest to me is whether the 02 partners now know Davis etc - potentially irrelevant if they were killed outright by Alphamon, but it's a big question mark going forward. Likewise the likes of Leomon, Elecmon etc

Trapped in Our World?
A final thought that only just occurred to me, the main 8 are currently stuck in the human world. As they only travel based on portals or distortions, unless Izzy creates a method of travel, the partners are stuck in our world. Likewise Gennai was the 5th man in the escape tubes, so presumably got transported to the human world with Tai. How is he getting home?
Not a huge issue but a unique circumstance that as far as I can recall, never happened at the end of an Adventure series or arc

Excited to hear everyone's thoughts! (especially as you've all had longer to think about it!)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
About returning threats, since the Dark Masters were probably created by Apocalymon, and Apocalymon is gone, not being a natural part of the Digital World, there’s probably not much danger there.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reboot rebooted everything and everyone, regardless of where they died. Which implicitly means that all of the enemies that had previously been defeated are now back in the Digital World (case in point, the re-emergence of Devimon).
What is most curious to me is that this means the Dark Masters are now at large again, or at the very least Puppetmon and Piedmon (not sure if Dark Gennai's pair count).
They might potentially eventually be at large again but remember the Dark Masters got their powers from apocalymon, that was what made them dangerous. And Apocalymon ig gone and so is the part of the data of him that was in Meicoomon and it would probably take a very long time for enough death to accumulate to form a new one.
Isn't this a massive cause for concern?!
Um... no. After all we're not in 1999 anymore, now Omegamon merciful mode exists who could probably vaporize the dark masters just by coughing in their general direction.

[/B]Which leads to this, the lack of the Digimon Sovereigns. I'm not entirely sure what function they served, but if they didn't fight the Dark Masters, are they now void too?
THey seemed to be responsible for keeping the balance of the world in a more general sense... and they just kind of sucked at their job I guess.

the re-appearance of Tapirmon does raise the question.
Tapirmon never evolved into a Holy Beast.

Ok so Meicoomon had the memories that Izzy had somehow backed up stored within her, restoring the partner Digimon to their former state. What of everyone else?
It's left very unclear whether Meicoomon had a partner backup or a Digital World backup, so interested to hear thoughts on this.
It certainly looked like it was a backup of everything, since we did see random Digimon other than the Partners being hit by the pink laser beams.

A final thought that only just occurred to me, the main 8 are currently stuck in the human world. As they only travel based on portals or distortions, unless Izzy creates a method of travel, the partners are stuck in our world. Likewise Gennai was the 5th man in the escape tubes, so presumably got transported to the human world with Tai. How is he getting home?
Not a huge issue but a unique circumstance that as far as I can recall, never happened at the end of an Adventure series or arc
It's pretty much exactly what happened at the end of Adventure. Since I believe the implication was that the gate closing was part of Yggdrasil's doing, they might now be in a position again where the gate might not be constantly open but just kind of spontaneously opens like it was the case between Adventure and 02. And of course... Gennai and Hackmon seem to just be able to come and go between worlds as they please, so they'll probably sort out any logistics in that area.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really reckon something is still off in the digital world with Dark Gennai/Alphamon still at large and the state of dark ocean still unclear...so this will set up for the 5-years later sequel some time next year...

Jordan171998

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Sovereigns
Which leads to this, the lack of the Digimon Sovereigns. I'm not entirely sure what function they served, but if they didn't fight the Dark Masters, are they now void too? I'm assuming potentially not, as Alphamon, Hackmon etc seem unaffected by the reboot, but the re-appearance of Tapirmon does raise the question.
Alphamon and Jesmon were probably protected by Yggdrasil and Homeostasis respectively. As for the Sovereigns, more than likely without protection they were rebooted as well. And even if they didn't, if we take the words of the original Digimon producers as canon that when a human partner dies then their Digimon dies as well, we already know the fate of one of the Sovereigns.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the reboot also affected the Dark Ocean - and hence Daemon and Dagomon as well...

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reboot was indicated to reset all Digimon, including the ones lost on earth, so I can see it getting at Digimon in other dimensions, like Daemon. That said, the Dark Ocean residents are not true Digimon and it's an open question as to whether Dagomon is, too, as the Dark Ocean mythology hasn't been developed at all.

KageX

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
About returning threats, since the Dark Masters were probably created by Apocalymon, and Apocalymon is gone, not being a natural part of the Digital World, there’s probably not much danger there.

That depends on if they want to lean into the Novelization Version or not.

Apparently the Novel Version is more Eldritch Horror then Digimon, being the Literal Embodiment of "Concepts Rejected by the Digital World" that used the remains and grudges of the Dead to form a new body. After said body was destroyed it's True Form was revealed as a Mass of Infinitely Cold Darkness, and it was implied it could always create a new body.

Furthermore it seems as a Concept it can only be Delayed or Sealed, not Destroyed.

Given all the Gnosticism stuff quoted at the start of Tri they might lean into this as it kind of resembles some Metaphysical Discussion about the Qlipoth.

As Kabbalah is considered to be one of the origins of Gnosticism it makes a certain amount of sense.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The reboot was indicated to reset all Digimon, including the ones lost on earth, so I can see it getting at Digimon in other dimensions, like Daemon. That said, the Dark Ocean residents are not true Digimon and it's an open question as to whether Dagomon is, too, as the Dark Ocean mythology hasn't been developed at all.
Depends if theyre seen as originally from the Adventure Universe. Since the DO is an alt Unvierse, I think the DO Mons were safe.

Plus we saw the Divermon in the DO anyway when Maki was shooting them with the Bazooka she brought, so Dragomon is prob there too.

I wonder if it will effect Cyberdramon from Tamers at all, though.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those Devimon's you saw were copies created by the Ordinemon's rampaging power, not the original as far as I caught the plot. And those MetalSeadramon and Mugendramon/Machinedramon are soulless version of them without any experience.

As far as I could tell, the reason why their digimon partners couldn't deal with Meiccoomon and her forms was because she absorbed all their power and experience and they were on the level from the first several episodes of season 1 in terms of power, speed, agility. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me atm. It explains how weak they were.

As much as I would like for the reboot to restore some of the killed digimon, I wonder in what state they will be restored, like the two Dark Masters or will they immediately have their memories and experience back, maybe it simply returned them to this world in the digital egg forms.
This Dark Gennai, or whatever he is, is capable of interdimensional travel as we have seen, I don't think there is anything limiting or controlling this ability be it Yggdrasil or Homeostasis.
God I wish they make this a series, not a film, it would give them space to develop into amazing story arcs, since they can't scrap Dark Ocean or withold it anymore from being tackled and resolved. Hope we see 02 kids at least a bit more than in tri.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As far as I could tell, the reason why their digimon partners couldn't deal with Meiccoomon and her forms was because she absorbed all their power and experience and they were on the level from the first several episodes of season 1 in terms of power, speed, agility. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me atm. It explains how weak they were.
Did she absorb them? I mean, it would explain that discrepancy (I forgot the Partner Digimon could take on Perfect-level Digimon as Child-level), but it doesn't jive with MaiCoomon's designation as a vector of infection, and infection tampering with their systems seems to me to be a more appropriate explanation.

God I wish they make this a series, not a film, it would give them space to develop into amazing story arcs, since they can't scrap Dark Ocean or withold it anymore from being tackled and resolved. Hope we see 02 kids at least a bit more than in tri.
I wouldn't say more space would enable better character arcs. Anybody who knows what he's doing should be able to write a whole character arc in one episode, and tri. had six whole movies split up into twenty-six episodes; with a major cast of eleven people (the kids, Meiko, Daigo, and Maki), that's two whole episodes' worth of space for each of them with four episodes' worth left over. I'd say that a series is still inherently preferable because a regular anime series isn't itself a direct profit vector, just an advertisement, and thus there's less incentive to exploit the story itself for the purposes of immediate cashgrab.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
She absorbed their memories, but locked them away so didnt have access to them

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wouldn't say more space would enable better character arcs. Anybody who knows what he's doing should be able to write a whole character arc in one episode, and tri. had six whole movies split up into twenty-six episodes; with a major cast of eleven people (the kids, Meiko, Daigo, and Maki), that's two whole episodes' worth of space for each of them with four episodes' worth left over. I'd say that a series is still inherently preferable because a regular anime series isn't itself a direct profit vector, just an advertisement, and thus there's less incentive to exploit the story itself for the purposes of immediate cashgrab.
Although the time is similar to twenty-six episodes, the format is still different (Crunchyroll made the division in "episodes"). That would affect the way they tell the story.

For example: If this was a series, you would have a "conclusion" each episode. Instead, in Tri, the "conclusion" must occur every four or five "episodes", since the film last that time.

In fact, a series can be more cashgrab. The success of TV animes is measured by merchandise sales. So, the sponsors (like Bandai) has more power to include things they want to sell.

In change, a film get part of his profit from ticket sales, so the staff has more freedom.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Although the time is similar to twenty-six episodes, the format is still different (Crunchyroll made the division in "episodes"). That would affect the way they tell the story.

For example: If this was a series, you would have a "conclusion" each episode. Instead, in Tri, the "conclusion" must occur every four or five "episodes", since the film last that time.
That doesn't actually address my point. There's enough space in tri. as it exists for each of the eleven main cast members to have forty minutes of screen time dedicated exclusively to him or her with eighty minutes -- a whole damn movie -- left over. It's not that tri. lacks the space for story arcs, it's that tri.'s obese and wasteful.

And you could in fact have a conclusion every few episodes if you end each intermediate episode with a cliffhanger or other transitional point. The movies were cut into valid episodes with beginnings and endings.

In change, a film get part of his profit from ticket sales, so the staff has more freedom.
You're going to have to explain that to me, because you leapt from my exact premise to an opposite conclusion. My argument was that because a series was just one advertisement among many, it would be theoretically less important to executives than a movie, which is both advertisement and product.

Then again, what do I know? I'm sure it would depend in no small part on the actual executives.

She absorbed their memories, but locked them away so didnt have access to them
I don't recall the original Japanese specifying she absorbed them, only that she had them (which also doesn't jive, but that's a different problem), but even ceding the point, did they specify that she absorbed their powers?

And because both of these conversations are off-topic, I'm hijacking your post from another thread:

They would need to have another reboot for [MaiCoomon to be reborn]. Real world death.
Not necessarily, and probably not really; it was a "Real World death" only after the barrier had collapsed and the earth was being consumed into the digital world.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That doesn't actually address my point. There's enough space in tri. as it exists for each of the eleven main cast members to have forty minutes of screen time dedicated exclusively to him or her with eighty minutes -- a whole damn movie -- left over. It's not that tri. lacks the space for story arcs, it's that tri.'s obese and wasteful.
My point is that the handling of movies and a TV anime is different. Even if these have the same time, they should handle the stories and the time in different ways.

In my case, I really like the development of the characters in Tri. I think the staff did a good job in this aspect.

And you could in fact have a conclusion every few episodes if you end each intermediate episode with a cliffhanger or other transitional point. The movies were cut into valid episodes with beginnings and endings.
The movies were cut by Crunchyroll. Toei and Tri staff doesn't divide these episodes.

The staff worked with the idea that a "conclusion" will happen at the end of each film (which would be at the end of 4 or 5 "episodes").

You're going to have to explain that to me, because you leapt from my exact premise to an opposite conclusion. My argument was that because a series was just one advertisement among many, it would be theoretically less important to executives than a movie, which is both advertisement and product.

Then again, what do I know? I'm sure it would depend in no small part on the actual executives.
As TV anime is advertisement, the sponsors tend to demand that anime add things to promote, while the executives doesn't care so much for the story. So, the writer has to work with these demands, while they create the story.

In change, a film is a product in itself, so the executives are more worried about the story, which in a way gives them more freedom

As you said, it depends of the executives.

Last edited:

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yggy was shut down by Homeostasis, that's what the ending of tri. implied. But we still have crazy Kennai with that black cube containing the remnants of Apocalymon's data, and either Daemon or Diaboromon as potential threats on the horizon. What really bugs me is the five-year time jump. How does it take Kennai five fucking years to execute whatever plans he has? Also, if we go by the characterization of a partner Digimon dying after their partner dies, then Baihumon won't exist anymore. The Digital World will be unstable as heck. We also have secondary effects of the reboot affecting the Quantum Sea. Re:Meicoomon's death, she can be brought back without much explanation, much like Chocomon in Hurricane Touchdown. Sorry if I went a bit OT.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My point is that the handling of movies and a TV anime is different. Even if these have the same time, they should handle the stories and the time in different ways.
That's okay, the point still stands. Any writer that knows what he's doing should still be able to divide arcs accurately. Two characters per movie and six movies would account for 12 character arcs, not counting any overarching arc set over multiple movies.

As TV anime is advertisement, the sponsors tend to demand that anime add things to promote, while the executives doesn't care so much for the story. So, the writer has to work with these demands, while they create the story.

In change, a film is a product in itself, so the executives are more worried about the story, which in a way gives them more freedom.
Oh, I see; your argument is that executives that are interested in a movie's success will give the writers more space. It seemed to me that they'd be more tempted to interfere for the same reason, but whatever.

Yggy was shut down by Homeostasis, that's what the ending of tri. implied. But we still have crazy Kennai with that black cube containing the remnants of Apocalymon's data, and either Daemon or Diaboromon as potential threats on the horizon. What really bugs me is the five-year time jump. How does it take Kennai five fucking years to execute whatever plans he has? Also, if we go by the characterization of a partner Digimon dying after their partner dies, then Baihumon won't exist anymore. The Digital World will be unstable as heck. We also have secondary effects of the reboot affecting the Quantum Sea. Re:Meicoomon's death, she can be brought back without much explanation, much like Chocomon in Hurricane Touchdown. Sorry if I went a bit OT.
Yeah, that time skip is really awkward. I almost get the impression that they had a different staff working on the sequel while tri. was still going on under the assumption that everything would be tied up neatly by tri.'s end, only for them to get tri.'s actual end and an item or two that suggested immediate action.

I forget, have we already got confirmation that the real world has forgotten all about the digital world again, or is anybody willing to take bets on it?

PinkIceFox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man if the real world forgets the digital world exists AGAIN after what happened in Adventure, 02, and now Tri I'm seriously gonna have to wonder what's in the water in Digimon's human world. Or wonder why we've never gotten to see the Digimon equivalent of the Men in Black with their memory erasing tools.

While five years is kind of a long time I could see Kennai (I like this name for him!) biding his time to either find the best way to use the Apocaly-cube, or even observing how the control of power in the Digital World evolves after the reboot. Or having to keep on the move to avoid being found by the real Gennai and the hundreds of other Gennai from that arc in 02 or even Homeostasis. Though, my Adventure lore is rusty as an old tractor in a collapsed barn so for all I know those guys could have stopped being a thing.

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man if the real world forgets the digital world exists AGAIN after what happened in Adventure, 02, and now Tri I'm seriously gonna have to wonder what's in the water in Digimon's human world. Or wonder why we've never gotten to see the Digimon equivalent of the Men in Black with their memory erasing tools.

While five years is kind of a long time I could see Kennai (I like this name for him!) biding his time to either find the best way to use the Apocaly-cube, or even observing how the control of power in the Digital World evolves after the reboot. Or having to keep on the move to avoid being found by the real Gennai and the hundreds of other Gennai from that arc in 02 or even Homeostasis. Though, my Adventure lore is rusty as an old tractor in a collapsed barn so for all I know those guys could have stopped being a thing.
I really want military to get even more involved like finally revealing secret organization , if not in Adventure-verse then in some other future installment of Digimon.

PinkIceFox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That would be an interesting concept. The Protagonist group has to deal with evil digimon in the Digital World, but then has to deal with the Digimon on top of a Government who wants to stop them along with the Evil Digimon because 'all digimon must be destroyed we can't control them'. I'm surprised the Adventure universe hasn't had this happen to be honest.