Sprites

Asemu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hey guys so im wondering what makes bandai decide which sprites they use on vpets?

Even tho i like both, the more detailed ones used in Pendulum Progress and digivices are way cooler.

Any list to know which vpets use the detailed and non detailed ones?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you just mean the size of the sprites / screen resolution? Originally, they would have used the small ones to save money. The 20th V-Pet and Pendulum have the small ones to look like the originals. And the DMX seems to be based on the model for the 20th V-Pet.

Asemu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you just mean the size of the sprites / screen resolution? Originally, they would have used the small ones to save money. The 20th V-Pet and Pendulum have the small ones to look like the originals. And the DMX seems to be based on the model for the 20th V-Pet.
Well its not only the size but the sprites it self. They're more detailed like in digivices :)
I understand thereason why 20th vept use the same as the OG one, it makes sense, however pendulum progress onwards got the detailed ones. So those that mean that any BRANDNEW v-pet that would come out now would use them? It would be really cool to get an english one with those sprites.
And is it possible to ever get a pendulum progress celebration here?

*Brand new = Non Celebration one

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The DMX is kind of a new thing, and kind of an anniversary version of the Pendulum X (which had a higher-res screen); but either way it has the low-res screen and basically the same case design as the 20th V-Pet. So they might make more like that.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair, many of the larger sprites also look pretty bad :p

Most of the first 400 sprites are honestly pretty uninspired, and look bland. It wasn't until the Pendulum X where they started making good use of the space in my opinion. The Digiwindow/iC also had really good sprites.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The 16x16 sprites are really cute, and just better than any of the higher resolution ones in my opinion. Unlike the bigger ones that try to squeeze as many details into it as possible, which usually ends up just looking like a big ugly mess, the tiny sprites are more like abstract representations of the actual designs. One of my personal favorites is Floramon, who doesn't really look anything like the official design, but just the fact that it's a little bipedal plant thing with a flower for a face gets the point across. See also: Piemon, who seems to have a little jester hat in its sprite that is nowhere to be found on the official design, but you can still tell it's supposed to be Piemon just because it's a weird creepy clown.