*SPOILER WARNING* Digimon Adventure tri. storyline analysis - 3 act structure

Alexesx3

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At first: Hi, I'm Alex and I'm new here! I totally fell in love with digimon adventure tri.
Therefore I've done a little analysis.

>Click here for a larger size<

I know it's a bit early to analyze the whole digimon adventure tri story, because two movies are left...
but after I've seen the poster of movie 5 with Ophanimon FDM in it.... I saw.. there is (hopefully) a structure in it.
So I tried to classify the story of movie 1-4 into the 3 act structure and it looks like the next one will be
the "catastrophe" movie. When I look at the 5th poster it makes sense. I'm really excited to see this movie,
because if we get the climax of the whole tri story in this movie, it could be possible, that the movie has
the same length as confession. Confession was a strong movie with the MID-POINT: the Reboot.
Maybe it is possible that if we get the CLIMAX in symbiosis, we also get more screen-time to understand far better
the story. Of course it's also possible that the climax is in the final movie.
But I'm pretty sure the last movie needs all his time to explain all the questions.
I don't know if there is any room for the climax. What are you thinking about this? Let me know! :)

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like your analysis it seems plausible. Tho my hopes right now is the revelation of the 02 kids and the appearance of Holydramon

AquaVersus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing I want to correct is that for Joe and Mimi, you really need to use their original crests from the Japanese version. I believe it's Sincerity/Honesty for Joe and Purity for Mimi. I'm not sure if that will change your analysis at all.

sugarplumfairy

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You may also want to keep in mind that in several interviews it was mentioned that tri. was being written using Kishoutenketsu, a four-part story composition.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, this is an interesting theory, but it's kind of naive to think that the big Climax won't be in the very last film. That's not how marketing works. You can't put your big climax in the second-to-last film otherwise you won't be able to sell the final film.

While I think it would be a better move, narratively, to follow the 3-act structure and put the climax in movie 5, all signs point to movie 6 being the one that 'answers all the questions' and 'delivers the final climactic battle'.

SharpeBB

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The three act structure certainly works. I think in terms of how when the climax will occur, it will happen much the same as it did in the first season.

In Episode 53, we meet Apocalymon, and the final battle begins. Everything spans into Episode 54, where he's defeated just midway through the episode. That left some time for resolution and goodbyes.

It's still perfectly reasonable the the climax will begin in Symbiosis, but finish in part 6. There could still be an hour of film left for the resolution. And given that ending on cliffhangers/ominous notes have been a trend, I'd be surprised if that didn't continue.

Alexesx3

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only thing I want to correct is that for Joe and Mimi, you really need to use their original crests from the Japanese version. I believe it's Sincerity/Honesty for Joe and Purity for Mimi. I'm not sure if that will change your analysis at all.
Regarding to the crests I only had the western version in my mind. I didn't notice they changed in the japanese version Mimi's crestname "Sincerity" with Joe's.
It's a bit confusing, but it won't change my analysis.

You may also want to keep in mind that in several interviews it was mentioned that tri. was being written using Kishoutenketsu, a four-part story composition.
That's interesting! I will check this out and maybe compare it with the 3-act-structure. But I think the results are certainly similar.

Yeah, this is an interesting theory, but it's kind of naive to think that the big Climax won't be in the very last film. That's not how marketing works. You can't put your big climax in the second-to-last film otherwise you won't be able to sell the final film.

While I think it would be a better move, narratively, to follow the 3-act structure and put the climax in movie 5, all signs point to movie 6 being the one that 'answers all the questions' and 'delivers the final climactic battle'.
The three act structure certainly works. I think in terms of how when the climax will occur, it will happen much the same as it did in the first season.

In Episode 53, we meet Apocalymon, and the final battle begins. Everything spans into Episode 54, where he's defeated just midway through the episode. That left some time for resolution and goodbyes.

It's still perfectly reasonable the the climax will begin in Symbiosis, but finish in part 6. There could still be an hour of film left for the resolution. And given that ending on cliffhangers/ominous notes have been a trend, I'd be surprised if that didn't continue.
When we've learned something about digimon than the fact that everything in this franchise is possible.
At the moment it's all just a theory, but for marketing it makes sense to keep the climax for movie 6.
When I look at the entire tri story I would prefer the climax in movie 5. It really looks like this movie will be the "catastrophe"-movie.
And the climax is the result of the obstacle -> disaster (catastrophe) -> crisis. That means we'll definitely get the disaster part of the whole
tri series in the next movie. This disaster brings also the crisis and will lead us into the climax.
The most likely way they will go: Movie 5: climax part 1 - cliffhanger (probably the worst one) - Movie 6: climax part 2.
But we must not forget movie 6 has to answer a lot of questions. Well.. everything is possible. Let's see what the future brings.

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I saw the English version and the Japanese version ... from the perspective of my country, it can be cool to go with an English name. It is in this case a linguistic problem and understanding the various meanings.

TeraLmao

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting analysis! I do believe that the climax would begin at the movie 5, considering the way things were left off at movie 4. It probably will continue up to movie 6, resolution shouldn't really need more than just 2 episodes. The questions that are circulating would probably be answered along the way of the movies, I believe.

sulmandinah

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting, your analysis become more plausible by the Part 5 poster which is the darkest poster so far. (Kinda opposite with Hikari's symbol, Light, which is awesome contradiction).

IMO by 5th part we are expected to see few things:
1. Yggdrasil & Homoetasis' true intention (if any hidden agenda exist)
2. Alphamon & Jesmon (reason of fight, at least give them a dialog for god sake)
3. Confortation between CC and Maki, with Daigo as neutral party (probably)
4. 02 cast's appearance, although i won't expect it too much

One exact pattern from 01-02 is the real final boss revealed in last 2-3 episodes. So probably the fight with Yggdrasil will occur in this part 5 finale and concluded in part 6 (which surprise, the final bos is someone else all along)

NekaBudala

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are already leaked info in Reddit so we know what will be main thing in Symbiosis movie...even though I dont understand why nobody has posted a thread about it on this site

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are already leaked info in Reddit so we know what will be main thing in Symbiosis movie...even though I dont understand why nobody has posted a thread about it on this site
Because it's fake.

I commented on it here, and I took it apart in detail right after it was posted on Reddit (in fact, it was posted in a Reddit thread I made linking to our info on part 5.)

It's not even a good fake to be honest.

NekaBudala

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Either it is true or it is fake leak but Toei is the one who leaked them fake on porpouse to get people on wrong track because they just sound to perfect to be random fakes

They dont sound fake to me...This is what is written on the actual leak if anyone wants to discuss it:

[Kyosei will comes in June.
The cause of the reversal/dark evolution of Ophanimon is related to the Mega form of Meikuumon. It's the evolved form of the Infection who will affects also humans. This will make Hikari and Meiko gets infected by the virus, resulting in a reverse evolution.
The mega form of Meikuumon will get another Virus pun. Possibly "Meicryptomon". It's also a Vicious Mode.
There will be two mega evolutions for Tailmon.
The first of the Zero 2 characters will appear, it's Iori(Actually infected by the "Prototype Virus").
The real villain of the movie is the "White Fang" organization president. He is the father of a original chosen child.
Baihumon will appears in Earth to help Daigo.
All digidestined, except Koushiro/Izzy and Taichi/Tai will gets infected by the new virus.](/spoiler)

Sorry for posting it on this thread but I just dont understand why people say its fake (if Toei didnt planted them)

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The "spoiler" sounds interesting, but everything past "2 mega evolutions for Tailmon" sounds like garbage, tbh. Everything before that line, however, is basically already inferred. The only interesting thing here is the idea that the humans could get infected.

It sounds like a lot to shove into two films, especially introducing "White Fang", who I would speculate to be Meiko's father more than anything (Original Chosen or not). It's just he was already introduced, so it makes more sense than introducing some random new character no one gives a crap about.

*Just to clarify, I'm not saying that this speculation is true, just interesting to think about.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree that all of the stuff after Tailmon gets two megas sounds like crap.

But part of me really wants the 02 kids to start showing up, so I'd be okay with infected Iori.

I'm also going to start mentally replacing any instance of the phrase "White Fang" with "The Puppetmaster" until further notice~

NekaBudala

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am sure that Professor Mochizuki and his team made the virus, I already thought that even before Loss movie, but I dont know if he is the President of White Fang himself...its even more likely that Himekawas father is the President

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Either it is true or it is fake leak but Toei is the one who leaked them fake on porpouse to get people on wrong track because they just sound to perfect to be random fakes
...but why would they feel the need to leak random fake information? This makes no sense whatsoever.

And the spoilers don't sound convincing at all. Especially since they seem to be designed to garner as much agreement from fans as possible. The rest is just surface level speculation based on previous sources.
I mean "Ophanimon FM is related to Meikoomon's evolutions" is just the first (although not entirely unreasonable) guess anyone has when looking at the poster.
Then they looked at the Ophanimon/Holydramon controversity and decided to throw in "Tailmon has 2 ultimates" to appeal to that part of the fandom.
The 02 characters suddenly getting a big role is another thing some fans are hoping for, so that part was probably included to make the rumors circulate better in the 02 crazy parts of the fandom.
The "new infection" infecting everyone but Taichi and Koushiro is just your average generic plot twist and the choice of Taichi and Koushiro also seems rather random (I don't think we'll get another Koushiro centric movie) and are probably just the favourite characters of whoever came up with those fake leaks.
Another suspicious part is the absence of any information regarding the Mytery Man, Homeostasis and Yggdrasil even though they are built up to be one of the center points of the conflict.
Of course there a reasons why a fake leak wouldn't want to concentrate on those parts: Because they are still shrouded in mystery and people don't really know what's going on yet it would be hard to come up with a random theory that immediately resonates with fans in the same way "02 is back!" or "Tailmon gets both Ultimates" would. So they just left that out because it had the highest risk of not sounding convincing.
Also, the "White Fang" organisation is actually a plot device in the Digimon World Next 0rder Meikoomon/Meicrackmon DLC, in the game being hunted by "White Fang" is the reason why Meikoomon ends up in the Next 0rder Digital World. Did the writers of tri have anything to do with the story of that DLC? Who knows, but so far there's nothing about white fang in tri, and crossover justifications have a tendency to not really be canon anyway. So that part is basically just throwing plot points from different media together.

NekaBudala

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Either way we wont know for sure until trailer comes...also does anyone know why there wasnt a date on the poster...i assume that its either June or Septemeber but still...probably September since they would said if it is June

Which bring us to the fake info since he claims Sysmbiosis is in June -.-

Still I have fate in those leaks :D

Also I just want to mention how I think Ending song of Symbiosis will be Which song by Knife Of Day...it would be dissapointing if they leave it for Movie 6

C-MC

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Either way we wont know for sure until trailer comes...also does anyone know why there wasnt a date on the poster...i assume that its either June or Septemeber but still...probably September since they would said if it is June

Which bring us to the fake info since he claims Sysmbiosis is in June -.-

Still I have fate in those leaks :D

Also I just want to mention how I think Ending song of Symbiosis will be Which song by Knife Of Day...it would be dissapointing if they leave it for Movie 6
yeah some of those leaks do seems plausible but for Which as the ending song I don't think so, since Which has nothing to do with tri as far as I know