Social & Large Digimon Art, Kenji Watanabe Omegamon Art, & Soh Moriyama BanchoLeomon Rough Draft

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stuff to go over for the weekend!

To celebrate the end of the repeat of the first 3 episodes of Digimon Adventure:, and the show being back with new episodes starting next week, Kenji Watanabe put up a really nice image of Omegamon. The message with it:
Digimon Adventure: [episode] 3 ends that story! Next week we will finally go to the digital world! Look forward to it!

We also got to see some early artwork for a popular Digimon...

Soh Moriyama posted the first rough draft sketch of BanchoLeomon from many years ago! The tweet accompanying the image:
The first rough draft of BanchoLeomon. He barely had any changes made to him. I wanted to make his gakuran white. Of course the Jotaro-style [from JJBA] is cool, but there are other masterpiece comics involving bancho that existed [before JJBA] and I wanted to make that as a homage. Volcano Ota-san was the model for him back in the day when he was working for Wiz, and [BanchoLeomon] was imagined as the "big bro" of Digimon banchou.
And translation of some of the text on the image. Some of it was seemingly hard to read, so it may be revisited later, with some of it question marked if it wasn't completely clear for now:
The Digimon bancho has returned
Royal Knights! (?)
White gakuran
(?) Sword

Then larger profile art for a few newer Digimon...

The reference book update for these 6 from the Pendulum Z Deep Savers V-Pet was done right after the Deep Savers lineup was announced, but here they are again in case you missed them.
Sangomon
Piranimon
Tobiumon
Gusokumon
MarineChimeramon
Regalecusmon

More details, including how to pre-order, the Digimon Pendulum Z can be found here.

More artwork and fun to come!

Thanks to onkei for translation help.

Attachments

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Regalecusmon's scars all over his whole body. Good old scars. Few jokes on Regalecusmon being Kratos lol

I wonder that barnacle on Gusokumon's helmet is part of that helmet's? It seemed to me it's only one (Very odd) which barnacles are supposed to be more of it.

Pity Sangomon's toy clownfish wasn't even mentioned. Ugh

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really amazing art! Love the outline and shadows covering Omegamon. Hopefully we’ll get to see the complete image of the Bancholeomon draft, looks like Loader Leomon is there too. It looks as if it’s draft art that was used for the Justice Genome Accelerator?

All the new Deep Savers look solid. It’s as if they realized Deep Savers were lacking in Digimon and focused on fixing that. Ragalecusmon’s scars really do go back to the og era. Looking at them up close they don’t have the X textures (specially MarineKimeramon’s Ikakumon fur) but rather the original style texturing and line shading. This really is a love letter to the original designs! Love it!

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad Bancho Leomon went with the black gakuran, a white one wouldn't work as well with the rest of his colors. It is pretty funny knowing that Soh Moriyama has noticed people calling Bancho Leomon a Jojo reference

Chimera-gui

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All the new Deep Savers look solid. It’s as if they realized Deep Savers were lacking in Digimon and focused on fixing that. Ragalecusmon’s scars really do go back to the og era. Looking at them up close they don’t have the X textures (specially MarineKimeramon’s Ikakumon fur) but rather the original style texturing and line shading. This really is a love letter to the original designs! Love it!
This pendulum in general seems like a love letter to classic pre-Adventure and early Adventure era Digimon.

Had I not been a Digimon fan from the start if you told me that these actually were classic era Digimon, I'd believe you.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ha ha ha. Jojos reference dot meme. But it's nice to see these get these so soon after they'll released.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That Omnimon art is sooooo good, even though it's so basic. Very evocative.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll third the love for the scars in Regalecusmon's design, it fits it motif really well and it does harken back to the more classic designs where they had more monstrous and rougher looks.

Looking at the concept art, it seems that BanchoLeomon was pretty consistent in design from its rough draft to the final design as there's no big difference between the two. It would've been interesting to see it in a white coat, but I think they made the right call in changing it to black as it fits the concept they were going for.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The return to the more feral, grittier look of the early era of Digimon pleases me greatly. Regalecusmon's veins, shading, the scars... it's a great callback to the art style of that time.