So Appmon or Applimon?

Shikou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im not sure why or how its so split in terms of the title for people. I see it pretty much everywhere on Twitter and YouTube. With my 5 years of Japanese I've always read it as "Appmon" or "App Monsters" depending on how they use it because the Japanese equivalent of the term "App" (short for "Application") is "Appli" pronounced as "apuri" (アプリ) and short for how the Japanese pronounce "application" as "apurikeshiyon" (アプリケーション). Its worth noting that Japan in most cases uses Katakana characters for foreign words and names. With the context of how "Apuri" is used in this series is always referring to mobile apps, in my mind the correct translation of these terms are Appmon, App Monsters, and App Drive not the other way around unless everyone is waiting for an official translation then there is no stopping you. If somebody mentions the English stream a while back the translators for the event are doing literal translations live without any time to correct some things to their western equivalent that would make words come out in what many like to call "Engrish".

To me, its a bit contradictory for someone to name the AppDrive "AppliDrive" because they are both separate words. If they really wanted to go this route then they should have called it "AppuriDoraibu"

But anyways, thats just how I see the whole situation. It makes my head split whenever "Appli" is used instead of "App" for some reason and Im not sure why its so split between the two. Maybe people prefer a literal translation? Waiting for an official translation? Maybe it sounds cooler even though in my mind its wrong? It was the first translation you've read? Which is usually the case in many sites.

Please share your thoughts, I'd like to know. I wonder how split it is in the forums.

Last edited:

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I use Appmon cause it's shorter, but I think Applimon is the right one. You can't deny the "ri" noise that they say, :p It's not like it's a Japanese word, so "translating" it to just App doesn't make much sense.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
appuriaraizu -> appliarise/appliarize, or you can call it "app realize" by the katakana pronounciation. Yeah that's japanese for you.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I use Appmon cause it's shorter, but I think Applimon is the right one. You can't deny the "ri" noise that they say, :p It's not like it's a Japanese word, so "translating" it to just App doesn't make much sense.
The problem with translating purely based on what you hear, Japan often has noises added that are not commonly used when changing the language, or even 'meant' to be used when translating it (various products and text from Toei/Bandai have used both App and Appli for example.) It appears the companies are preferring to use 'Appli' when translating the Japanese to English, and App when it's 'English'

As an example of the issue of using what you hear, when Spike Spiegel's first name is said in Cowboy Bebop in Japanese, they don't say the word we would call 'Spike', it's more akin to Supiku.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To me it just seems to be a difference of whether they shorten it or not. When it's short it's clearly "Appmon" or "アプモン", the "ri" only gets added when the "monster" part is also spelled out.
So I'm saying "Appmon" and "Appli Monsters" but never "Applimon" and "App Monsters". And I don't see the issue with the li. "Application" is valid english just like "App" is, so it's not like "li" should confuse anyone. Sure "appli-" isn't really used as a prefix but neither is "Digi", except for some very specific terms. If it was "Digitamon" instead of Digimon... I wouldn't really care.
And in the end I don't see how this kind of "validity" matters; it's a made up word and it doesn't really need to conform to anything. If they wanted Bandai could add all the senseless letters they wanted, call it "Apilukaladingdong" or something and it would be the "correct" word. Only because it's based on pre-existing words I don't think that their semantic properties can simply be applied to the new word.

Last edited:

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm with Theigno on this one. Especially since the characters clearly say "Appmon", never "Applimon", there's no reason to worry about that particular instance of "Appli-". "Applimonsters" is only ever really used in the title from what I can remember.

For the AppliDrive/AppDrive, it's trickier. You -could- parse it as two words "Appuri" and "Doraibu", then translate both into "App" and "Drive" and smash them together. I personally think that sounds more natural, but it also runs the risk of being an actual term already in use for something. Aren't there already hard drives for apps or something called, at least colloquially, "App Drives"? I'm not familiar with any of the technical stuff, but it seems plausible. I'd lean more towards "AppliDrive" in this case just because the different usage of "Appli-" as a prefix in English would be more unique to this anime.

Appli-Arise has an on-screen romanization already so we could use that. Personally I hope they dub it to "App Realize" because that just sounds so much nicer, is still a valid reading of those katakana, AND ties back to terminology used in Digimon anime.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't know if it matters but I just say Appmon. And I don't even speak Japanese.