Should I remove the battery if Im not going to use my vpets?

clc88

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a couple of Vpets coming in the mail within the next few weeks, I would generally remove the battery if it was any other eletronics if Im not using it for long periods of time, is it the same for these Digimon devices?

Do they all use the phillips head screwdrivers Or are there unique screw drivers that might be needed ( tri wing).

Also does removing the battery erase my save data?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For the really old ones that use LR44 batteries, definitely remove them. The CR2032 batteries are much less likely to cause problems, but I'd still advise removing them just in case. All phillips head screwdrivers I think.

The save data depends on exactly what you're getting.

Hachiko96

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a couple of Vpets coming in the mail within the next few weeks, I would generally remove the battery if it was any other eletronics if Im not using it for long periods of time, is it the same for these Digimon devices?

Do they all use the phillips head screwdrivers Or are there unique screw drivers that might be needed ( tri wing).

Also does removing the battery erase my save data?
Depending on how long you're going to put them away.
The Digital monster X Digital monster ver 20th and pendulum ver20th all have flash memory backup from my experiences I'm not sure about anything else I'm pretty sure some of the newer Digivice have flash memory back up as well.

Phillips head screwdrivers work fine:)
if you're only going to put them on standby for a week or two I would be fine with it but anything longer I wouldn't trust it battery leakage kills devices I use Eveready and Duracell batteries which are high quality so if you use a good brand they last longer and have less chance of leaking.

Nomiles

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmmm but what if you’re keeping them for collecting purposes as sealed boxes?

Would the plastic tab protect the electronics?

Hachiko96

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No battery leakage will still kill a device even if the tab is in.
It's not a matter of if it's a matter of if it's a matter of when.
Always take the battery out of a device when you store them if you ever want to use it again in a future.
Hmmm but what if you’re keeping them for collecting purposes as sealed boxes?

Would the plastic tab protect the electronics?

Nomiles

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Always take the battery out of a device when you store them if you ever want to use it again in a future.
That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the advice. No point having a pristine device that doesn’t actually work.

Hachiko96

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the advice. No point having a pristine device that doesn’t actually work.
Most Digimon electronics havea box that's pretty easy to open and close so you could always open it take the battery out and put it back in? I don't get the obsession with new in box I don't keep anything I own new in box unless the box is really nice.
Some of my v pets particularly the Japanese version 20th have some wear particularly the painted wave 2s but it doesn't bother me because it's a sign that they have been used and loved.

Nomiles

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Most Digimon electronics havea box that's pretty easy to open and close so you could always open it take the battery out and put it back in? I don't get the obsession with new in box I don't keep anything I own new in box unless the box is really nice.
Some of my v pets particularly the Japanese version 20th have some wear particularly the painted wave 2s but it doesn't bother me because it's a sign that they have been used and loved.
When breaking a seal there is a real finality to it that a part of me just wants to maintain. Sometimes I rather something used because it’s like the decision is taken out of my hands and I can freely use the item without a second thought.

Sad_Arthur_Morgan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
im wondering how plenty of reseller managed to sell those 97' digimon vpet in MISB condition. personally i have not bought any before in mint sealed conditon. isnt it somewhat of a gamble to buy these mint sealed condition vpet not knowing those LR44 battery from 20 years ago will cause damage to the vpet over the years

Lee_Bug

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
im wondering how plenty of reseller managed to sell those 97' digimon vpet in MISB condition. personally i have not bought any before in mint sealed conditon. isnt it somewhat of a gamble to buy these mint sealed condition vpet not knowing those LR44 battery from 20 years ago will cause damage to the vpet over the years
As someone who's just started collecting and bought three MISB, I was wondering the same! I was going to ask about MISB batteries before I read this thread, and I'm glad I did! One of my V1s was decent, the other a little worse. The V4 is quite messy. What do folks think, salvageable?

Lee_Bug

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Couple more photos. How bad is this?

EDIT: Spent a good portion of the day with the battery prongs soaking in alcohol in-between rounds of descaling with small phone tools. The prongs on the Blue V4 cleaned up, but look the worst of the three. I put those prongs into the Red/Brick V1(as I don't really plan on activating that one anytime soon), and put the nicer one into the V4. The Grey V1 came out pretty much spotless. In the end, all three devices operate seemingly fine with fresh batteries installed, so I think I may have lucked out here. I guess my lesson is: buy MISB for display/collecting, buy used(with photos) if you plan to play them.

Last edited:

Sad_Arthur_Morgan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Couple more photos. How bad is this?

EDIT: Spent a good portion of the day with the battery prongs soaking in alcohol in-between rounds of descaling with small phone tools. The prongs on the Blue V4 cleaned up, but look the worst of the three. I put those prongs into the Red/Brick V1(as I don't really plan on activating that one anytime soon), and put the nicer one into the V4. The Grey V1 came out pretty much spotless. In the end, all three devices operate seemingly fine with fresh batteries installed, so I think I may have lucked out here. I guess my lesson is: buy MISB for display/collecting, buy used(with photos) if you plan to play them.

glad you were able to save those devices. i am going to avoid sealed box unit from now on especially the 97' and 98' vpet. don't buy sealed box condition if you are going to unseal the box eventually to play.

icymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure, whether this is the right place to ask. How do I protect the screws from rusting? Should I find replacements every 5 years?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure, whether this is the right place to ask. How do I protect the screws from rusting? Should I find replacements every 5 years?
Take the batteries out, as we've been saying here. And if you live in a humid place, maybe consider storing the devices in waterproof packaging with silica gel. Getting exactly the same screws is difficult, and using slightly different ones causes damage, so don't do it unless you have to.

Lee_Bug

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've got mine in zip bags and everything is in a plastic tote, but I never even considered silica gel! Thanks @BladeSabre !

icymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another qns, does the brand of CR2032 battery matter? Im wondering whether to use Energizer batteries, but not sure the higher voltage is safe for Vpet device in the long run. I am currently using Sony batteries.

Lee_Bug

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm using Energizer ones for my devices currently. As long as you're using brand-name ones you should be fine.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another qns, does the brand of CR2032 battery matter? Im wondering whether to use Energizer batteries, but not sure the higher voltage is safe for Vpet device in the long run. I am currently using Sony batteries.
Why do you say it has a higher voltage? Well, I guess it might, but there are standard ranges for these things that all the reputable manufacturers should be keeping within.