should i contact kenji watanabe

nanocon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i have been mulling around the idea of contacting kenji watanabe (if you dont know he's the chief designer for digimon) using his pixiv for a while now. i want to see if i can convince him to take a commission from me but 2 problums

1. i dont know if he only takes proffessional request (eg from companys) although he did do some stuff for something called digimon 24 hour radio so it possible.

2. i dont know how to write japanese although there are translators there are also multiple dialects of writing in japan and some of them kinda come out as gibberish in translators although kenji might understand english as he does work for a multinational corparation its still something to consider.

so what do you guys think think i should take a risk and contact him

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean you can take the risk but please keep in mind that professional commissions can cost up to hundreds of dollars easily so if you're not ready to pay a lot of money then don't even bother, you will be wasting his time and your own. If you want to commission someone for less than 100 bucks, you might as well look around for artists in this fandom who're taking commissions.

Sapphire Luna

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I 'm not sure it's a good idea. First problem is that it requires a lot of back and forth and if you don't read or write Japanese it will be hard. Also I don't think a professional would bother drawing for a random fan across the world. Otherwise he'd get tons of requests. There are tons of really good artist in the fandom, it's probably best to ask them.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would say no, on the top of the reasons the others have told, there's also a friendly reminder that Kenji-san claimed not so long ago that he was kinda overwhelmed, due to too many fans asking him a lot of stupid questions and so forth, so in this case, I'm not that sure he's entitled to accept comissions from a particular, at least in theory, so it may bother him...just guessing. If you are interested in some other good freelance artist, I'm pretty active on Twitter, so just let me know via PM and I can recommend you a few of them.