Sexual Biology and Gender of Digimon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay before anyone thinks im making this topic to be perverted im not i just want to talk about how digimon reproduce and have genetaila like mervamon angemon ect ect btw this ismy first post on this forum

Last edited by a moderator:

D.E.X

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They likely could do it but never have the need to do it

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Because they don't as confirmed in Tamers? At least in the Tamersverse.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Typically, Digimon don't reproduce. They're born as an egg, grow and evolve, die, and revert to an egg to start the cycle all over.

About the only evidence of Digimon procreating is Cutemon's parents in Xros Wars. But then how do we know they're not just a pair of Cutemon who happened to raise a younger one as if it were their child? Then again, everything in the Xros Wars Universe from evolution to the overall life cycle and death works very differently compared to other continuities, so it basically doesn't apply to anything else.

The only reason Digimon like Mervamon appear to have genitalia is for fanservice. Then we have Lilithmon, who is based on the sin of Lust. While these two and other humanoid female Digimon appear to have mammaries, in-universe they basically serve no purpose, aside from maybe the emphasis that they are "female" Digimon.

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like wildwing said -- Xros Wars is the only setting that indicates any form of pair reproduction, and it is also the only series to dispense with several series mainstays, chief among them the conceit that Digimon are, well, digital monsters -- creatures born from the network interconnecting humanity. It is a stark outlier in virtually every facet from the other series, which are pretty consistent at treating Digimon as if they are neuters who are born from data recycling, or created "from the dirt" as it were, mutating from new programs created on Earth.

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They don't have biological sex, they don't even reproduce as Digimon are born as data from eggs.

What they do have, however, is gender. As there are clearly male Digimon and female Digimon.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And the Torikaraballmon in Frontier? In the spanish dub, they are treated as the sons of Burgamon. Dunno if this happened also in the original...
Yes, they are treated as the children of the Burgermon couple in the original (and the English dub), but the circumstances of how they are their children is something that's never touched upon.

Inpu

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What they do have, however, is gender. As there are clearly male Digimon and female Digimon.
Most of them do, this is true (technically should be "Digimon men and Digimon women", I think).

It's important to remember that this doesn't always map to their physical form. There are Lilithmon men.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Doesn't matching in the Story games count as a form of reproduction?

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The way I see it, most Digimon don't have the necessary parts to have sex, nor do they have an interest in it. The only exceptions would be part human Digimon, and these are extremely rare and don't occur naturally in the first place.

Inpu

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Doesn't matching in the Story games count as a form of reproduction?
You could say that very, very loosely. Certainly not in the same format as in Pokemon -- the species that comes out of the egg has nearly no relation to the two species that went into it, and there's no sort of gender matching whatsoever.

At best...Egg Matching would be similar to how Barbamon fed data into the NEO embryo, or how Arkadimon's data created Callismon.

D.E.X

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Look at it this way just because they have the tools they might not do the deed like in tamers the southern digital world sex would be more like a black widow mating then an act of love. They worry more about fighting then having sex since their possible partner could turn around and kill them. Young digimon like Renamon and Impmon likely did not know they where a boy or a girl and learned it from human.

Last edited:

Rurik

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Isn't there a family of Chuchidarumon in Tamers? I think it was when behemoth was running, err... driving, around terrorizing the digi-world. Wouldn't families like that suggest that they can somehow reproduce, maybe not like animals in our world, but in some strange fashion?

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Typically, Digimon don't reproduce. They're born as an egg, grow and evolve, die, and revert to an egg to start the cycle all over.

About the only evidence of Digimon procreating is Cutemon's parents in Xros Wars. But then how do we know they're not just a pair of Cutemon who happened to raise a younger one as if it were their child? Then again, everything in the Xros Wars Universe from evolution to the overall life cycle and death works very differently compared to other continuities, so it basically doesn't apply to anything else.

The only reason Digimon like Mervamon appear to have genitalia is for fanservice. Then we have Lilithmon, who is based on the sin of Lust. While these two and other humanoid female Digimon appear to have mammaries, in-universe they basically serve no purpose, aside from maybe the emphasis that they are "female" Digimon.
Yeah xros wars can be wierd with things at times. I like to belive that since digimon dont really die and just get reborn from eggs they dont need sex to reproduce but they CAN choose to if they want

HarleyThomas

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Isn't there a family of Chuchidarumon in Tamers? I think it was when behemoth was running, err... driving, around terrorizing the digi-world. Wouldn't families like that suggest that they can somehow reproduce, maybe not like animals in our world, but in some strange fashion?
Family can also mean a herd or whatever a group of Tsuchidarumon would be called. Digimon of the same species living in a group for whatever reason. Likely survival.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes matching is a form of reproduction in digimon story games. Not that sexual though. XD they just kind of walk at each other and BAM egg! =3

If I remember right, Digimon Adventure or 02 had a pair of digimon fighting over territory. I think I remember a monochromon or tortomon doing it, pissing everywhere to mark stuff up. That's done by both male and females in our world so not the best indication but I'd guess that they were male and would need at least some sort of penile part in order to aim with their legs up. Not that easy to do with just a hole.

Also, I seem to remember something to do with Deputymon, freaking out the girls when he pulls down his pants. Seems like a rather strong hint that there's a dick in there.

But none of that means that they actually *use* the parts for sexual reproduction. Like others have pointed out, lots of digimon have boobs and not really any reason to use them if they're not rearing children.

So my general thoughts are, they've got sexual attributes and gender, but don't necessarily use them as they'd be needed on earth. Though I'd like to think they would. A world without sex seems super boring to me.

Say, should I merge this thread with sexualization of female digimon and have like, a big, fat, open discussion on general digimon and sex?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I remember right, Digimon Adventure or 02 had a pair of digimon fighting over territory. I think I remember a monochromon or tortomon doing it, pissing everywhere to mark stuff up.
That's a bit of a mixture of two different scenes your remembering there. :p

In Adventure episode 3, two Monochromon simply fought over some territory, while in Zero Two episode 22, a Tortomon was peeing when Daisuke and V-Mon ran by and saw him before the boulder that was chasing them impacted with the Tortomon.

Last edited:

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon having a sex does not really make sense in any universe but Xros Wars, as Digimon are either reborn or made up out of left over data or even both.
In either of those cases: Digimon additionally reproducing would end up in an overpopulated digital world.
And without reproducing, there is no reason for having genitals in any way. Basicly: Those would take up data, that could otherwise be used for more useful information.
After all we outright see with most of the child Digimon, that they don't have any genitals and while certain other Digimon have, what looks like certain secondary sexual characteristics, those still - well, basicly they just have the form of boobs, with no hint that they would function that way or would even have nipples.

In Tamers it is canon, that there are no sexes. Even more so, I would say, that most Digimon in that universe don't have an actual gender. People allways argue, that they act in certain gender-characteristic ways - but here is the point: Most of them don't seem to identify as a gender. Just look at Renamon's reaction to Rumiko saying it was female in her view. It pretty much seems like Renamon never even had considered that.
And Guilmon not even using gender specific pronouns (same goes for Culumon) and instead addressing itself in third person, even when it becomes rather "wise" later on and does use otherwise proper language.
Some Digimon seemingly do (like Babamon), but by far not all of them.

Then again in Adventure/02 and seemingly Frontier, too, Digimon at least seem to have a gender most of the time - but still probably no sex.

So, yeah, that's this...

Xros Wars really is the odd one out. As it does not intruduce any possible way for new Digimon to enter existence - or old Digimon to reenter existence - but does have some heave sexual implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.