Savers Dub- How Is It?

lastlivingkid

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been watching Savers for the first time in Japanese and I'm loving it, but I'm curious about the dub. Is it worth checking out? How does it compare to the Japanese?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The single most faithful English dub of any Digimon anime series. Some episodes were even almost word-for-word the same across both versions, barring the necessary dub changes like some names and terms that were the standard constant for the dub across the board. Almost every dub voice fit like a glove (Falcomon's is the only main one that feels the most jarring) and the BGM was used in a most excellent and competent manner that matched well with the tone and feel of the original score.

However, no dub is perfect, and Savers is no exception. The biggest issue with the dub is its censorship. It is arguably the most censored of any Digimon English dub ever. Moments of violence were covered or cut out, fanservice shots of women's breasts and butts were either painted over or cut, BomberNanimon became the infamous "Citramon", among many other things.

But I still consider it to be leaps and bounds above any of its predecessor dubs, in that it kept mostly true to the original without having to go nearly the same level of dumbing down concepts for kids or shoving in nonsensical/jokey dialogue for any forced attempts at humor. This dub was a dub well done (within reason, of course). So muc that I even fear that it might suffer even more censorship should it ever air on Saban's Vortexx block.

lastlivingkid

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The single most faithful English dub of any Digimon anime series. Some episodes were even almost word-for-word the same across both versions, barring the necessary dub changes like some names and terms that were the standard constant for the dub across the board. Almost every dub voice fit like a glove (Falcomon's is the only main one that feels the most jarring) and the BGM was used in a most excellent and competent manner that matched well with the tone and feel of the original score.

However, no dub is perfect, and Savers is no exception. The biggest issue with the dub is its censorship. It is arguably the most censored of any Digimon English dub ever. Moments of violence were covered or cut out, fanservice shots of women's breasts and butts were either painted over or cut, BomberNanimon became the infamous "Citramon", among many other things.

But I still consider it to be leaps and bounds above any of its predecessor dubs, in that it kept mostly true to the original without having to go nearly the same level of dumbing down concepts for kids or shoving in nonsensical/jokey dialogue for any forced attempts at humor. This dub was a dub well done (within reason, of course). So muc that I even fear that it might suffer even more censorship should it ever air on Saban's Vortexx block.
That's both good to hear and disappointing. I guess I'll stick with the Japanese if that's the case. If the dialogue's the same, I may as well see all the butts.

Lagarmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel as though it should be given a chance. Just because it's got less fanservice doesn't mean it's any more bad than any other dub. Things like censorship are a given, & shots of Digimon striking each other shouldn't be edited since it serves no purpose to put the little flash-cut; we know they got hit, it doesn't change anything. That's the type of censorship that shouldn't happen, when the fanservice stuff should be taken care of.

The shining gem in the English version is, as mentioned before, is the music. I learned the budget for Data Squad was rather low & still made a great soundtrack. It's a shame & a half they weren't released. The voice acting is, as always, up in the air. But I found it quite endearing.

All in all the 5th season of Digimon should be given a chance in English.

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't really like it at all. I've enjoyed those actors in other things, and some were even in Digimon before, but everyone sounds rather unenthusastic and unconvincing to me. Obviously, as has been stated, the script is a lot closer than the other series' dubs, so that is a plus.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Citramon was hilarious. And they did sneak in a Gods reference. Since that can be a touchy subject to some.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Citramon was hilarious. And they did sneak in a Gods reference. Since that can be a touchy subject to some.
Forgot about that. Yeah, Data Squad (Savers' dub name) is the only English Digimon dub to ever speak the word "gods", and did so in both the correct context and with emphasis!

"Forget about these charity cases and come with me. Together, we could become GODS!"

It also used the phrase "Over my dead body!" followed by a "That's the idea!" line.

So, yeah, some rare instances of dialogue that would make terrestrial children's television censors faint. :p

LotusRose

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Citramon was...interesting. I'm not sure why they felt the need to censor BomberNanimon like that. I know they thought it was like a terrorist attack, so I could understand them changing his name, but as for his attacks, they've had several digimon terrorizing cities and using bombs, missiles, guns etc. many of which are far more realistic than the kind of typically cheesy Looney Tunes style bombs that BNanimon uses.

Last edited:

DigitalCorp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What kills me is the soundtrack. I don't like it, especially the theme song.

LotusRose

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm with you on that one DigitalCorp, at least the dub theme song for Frontier was kind of catchy.