Running With the Will for 10 Years

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awhile ago it was 10 years since the new version of With the Will began.

Now it's 10 years since I've been running it (coincidentally, the exact same day Digimon Adventure tri. part 3 came out in Japan.)

Long time to be running it when you consider I never planned to be that involved at first.

Lots of things to remember over 10 years, some good, some bad, most are good though.

I remember us getting input on the dub cast for Savers.

Or how happy everyone is when a new series gets announced.

And especially just the excitement people get just from discussing Digimon.

Which is funny when you consider I saw Digimon the first day it aired in the USA.... and had no interest in it... wanted to see preview of a different show they advertised as premiering during the first episode of Digimon.

Me running the place actually started with a good number of old staff leaving as they just didn't want to deal with new people (I think most of them came back as members, understanding that things need to change.)

I'm generally very happy with how the site is.

There are obvious improvements to be made at some point (bringing back doing new themes, bringing back Card Terminal, etc.)

Donations have always been the biggest sore point to be honest. We've never gotten enough to actually pay for the site's cost, but most times the community has come together when we 'really' need something, which always makes me... proud? happy? not sure how to put it... I'm generally quite terrible at asking for help, but with various items coming out that I want to archive for fans it's required me to be more open in how I am (I've always been a private person, although I try to work on it.) S.o much early stuff didn't get archived that well, and I know for many older fans, it's been annoying to find stuff simply... doesn't exist anymore, so hopefully stuff we've done will stick around for longer.

We all have our personal flaws. Sometimes I feel mine shows up more because I tend to be a very hands on admin. I know occasionally some people are unsure how to act when I jump into a thread and will actively argue back and forth with them. I tend to always tell them in private the same thing. Argue back... but follow the rules... and try and be respectful.

I've been, in general, very happy to run the site. It's self serving, but I honestly think the site is as good as it's ever been.

I try my best, and I know the other staff does their best most of the time (occasionally there have been long long arguments/discussions on things, which I think the site has always come out better for them in the end.)

I'm also aware many people don't like me. I can certainly seem harsh (partially because I'm overly direct, and partially because I've seen different forums, both good and bad over the years, and have tried to pick up what works, and avoid what doesn't.)

I appreciate every member who is at the site, and every Digimon fan, even when it seems like it doesn't. I honestly enjoy talking to every one of you, whether it's in threads (occasionally driving me insane, as I'm sure I do to you), via our chatroom, via Twitter, or even via PM.) This is also why every once in awhile I'll decide to unban anyone who isn't a spambot (to the chagrin of other staff members who invariably have to deal with it.)

Most of this is talking about myself of course, because I just usually don't.

And I think maybe after 10 years, it's time for me to say goodbye. Change isn't a bad thing, as I often say in regards to Digimon as a franchise. Leaving a week before the franchise changes in a major new way for Appmon. Saying goodbye on the official release date of tri. part 3 in Japan. Which is exactly 10 years to the day that I started to run the place.

So, I thought I'd say goodby with a gif from one of my favorite movies, along with the single biggest request I get from WtW members.

A picture of me...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

I had gotten a super short haircut for a friend's birthday at Universal a few years ago, and was ecstatic to get my picture taken with the park's Doc Brown (the picture was taken a moment after we thought it had been taken because one of my friend's hadn't realized he hadn't hit the button yet...)

Just kidding... I'm not going anywhere (Vande may have just had a heart attack though...)

I still love running this place to be honest. And while it's occasionally come to mind that maybe I should pass it on... and I expect I will some day... that day isn't today.

But I've also never been one to play April Fools jokes on people, or joke about news, etc. And I think I earned doing this one.

And I love Groundhog Day and various staff members over the years who haven't seen it refused to see it... so they won't get the joke of the gif with me saying goodbye... adding to the fun.

Hopefully no one gets overly bitter over the joke, because nothing else I said was a joke.

I appreciate all of you who choose to be Digimon fans, all of you at With the Will.

Thanks for everything. Because despite some frustration (at times lots in fact) I really enjoy this place and all the people.

So one more gift... here is one more picture of me, later the same day in fact, after someone I know pointed out my short hair cut made me look like a Minion...

Image Thumbnail

No doubt I won't change much in the future. Doesn't mean I don't try and improve the site for everyone (and occasionally try and improve myself.)

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on 10 years of working on the longest-running Digimon forums on the net! That's certainly got to be some kind of marketable skill you can put on a resume, right?!

Here's to your continued work and enjoyment of this awesome franchise!

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Scared the hell out of me for a second. >_> (New avatar works well here.)

Especially since it sounded like not only were you retiring as admin, but just generally leaving as well.

Don't think this website could survive without your detailed responses to general stupidity. I might just enjoy reading posts where you correct people on the production process of television shows more than I do opinions on new Digimon stuff.

Anyways, happy anniversary!

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope I do not sound offending or something, but you seem to resemble Mr. Derrick J. Wyatt (Transformers Animated, Ben 10 Omniverse character designer.) a bit.

But, aside from that, congratulations and more power to a successful decade of this forums. I think that love for the Digimon franchise is what is keeping all of us anchored despite many years has passed. Timeless, dare I say and guess.

Last edited:

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was like... "What?! Marc's leaving?! Why???" for a second, then I scrolled down. Glad to see you're still with us for awhile longer. I think I began lurking here around the time Savers came out... can't believe it's been that long now.

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hah, you got me good there. Glad that you're not going anywhere. Thanks for running this site for the last 10 years.

Out of curiosity (and I CANNOT believe that I remember this), was the show you wanted to catch a preview of Beast Machines? I vaguely recall that being shown during the U.S. premiere of Digimon...

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I know of Marc, I'd think he'd name some completely new guy the lead admin. :p

10x the hilarity if it's a spambot.

Lucifer Angel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember back in the day when Frontier was still airing in Japan I believe we had a member here (forgot their name) said that was another big bad besides Lucemon. And that there would be four more episodes added to the eppy last.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember back in the day when Frontier was still airing in Japan I believe we had a member here (forgot their name) said that was another big bad besides Lucemon. And that there would be four more episodes added to the eppy last.
That was Omnitor and 'The Puppet Master' good memories.

AiM&4

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
keep running the site dude, we appreciate it :)

also is it coincidental that this site was made around the same year serebii was founded?

if so then cool! :D

Yume

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
10 years is not a joke. Now that's dedication.

Congratulations Marc! Please put up with us for many more!

Victor

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did I mention I am sick and Marc DMed this to me at 7AM and I jumped out of bed to read it on a bigger screen and coughed my way through the biggest troll moment of 2016?!

I hate you Marc. Don't ever change.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That sure was some joke there. I'm glad he's not leaving though. He's a very, very good admin. One of the best I've seen. Though that may be a small number but still.

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

also is it coincidental that this site was made around the same year serebii was founded?

That can't be right. Frontier didn't start until 2002 and Serebii has news archives going back to September 2000.

AiM&4

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

That can't be right. Frontier didn't start until 2002 and Serebii has news archives going back to September 2000.
I thought both sites became what they are now in 2006. You know, being a news site and all.

Or am i wrong here /:9