Role Play Interest Check

DigiAmy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a good idea! Thanks!
Since RP groups are harder to form than a group of 8 or so characters, I might limit the elements to Fire, Water (+ Dark), Wind, and Earth. I might also include the element Metal because of Metal Empire. Light can be put with Fire, Wind, or Earth. Or one of the elements can be replaced with Nature Spirits since that digital family is made up of beast based digimon. (Fire can also work for dragon maybe!)

DigiAmy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, that's a great idea too! I didn't realize that before. ^^; Thanks!
(The elements I have in mind currently are: Fire/Dragon, Water/Dark, Earth/Metal, Air, Beast, Plant, and Light. Players can use whatever element or element combinations they want!)

Since some people wanted me to put rules into my RP, I will do so. I don't have too many in mind (Apart from the forum rules) but I might add more as time passes.

• First and foremost, follow the forum rules!
  • All chosen tamers must be 18 or older; It's a Digimon story where the main cast are adults.
  • It is recomended you stick to one or two elements for your partner, and different from what was already selected at the time.
  • No common or more well known partners like Agumon, Gabumon, Palmon, Biyomon, Renamon, Veemon, ect.
  • Alternate evolution lines are recommended, but feel free to make your evolution line however you want, as long as it makes sense; Like a line of insects, or a line of birds.
  • Even though the main characters are adults, please refrain from anything beyond PG. (I'm sure that might be a forum rule already but I'm putting this here anyway. Hope that's alright!)

That's it for now! I hope everyone approves of these rules. If I come up with more rules I'll be sure to add on before making a RP post beforehand.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
dunno if DigiAmy i going to come back or not and Deino´s RP went down too.
welp i originally wanted to play an RP for once, but i guess i cannot help myelf and i got some great ideas anyway
so yeah i´m thinking of making a Digimon RP

i got my personal system (upgraded though obsevation from my last rp lol) but more on it in the actual thread.
just one thing i want to say, no classic level, makes it more flexible if you want to run or negotiate without lacking strength later on.
overall i´ll try to give the players as much freedom as possible.
one more thing, you can choose Child/Rookie the other levels gonna be V-pet style, depending on care, moral teachings ect.

whole thing gonna be on set session aka, probably saturday evening for a couple hours depending on peoples time shedule.
having set dates increases the attendance and continuity by ALOT, also you can make much more progress in 2-3 hours then you can within a month of "play by post"

about the story,
you start out as an adult (18+) seaching for a job, you got invited to an interview on a "security job" after the interview and a test you got to wait in a seperate room as a tall man in suit and with sunglasses approaches you, ordering you to follow him.
(a spin on DATS but a bit more serious)
i don´t wanna give away to much in advance but i got a couple things in mind, so leave a reply if you are interested.

DigiAmy

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just wanted to say sorry for not getting my RP threads down immediately.

I am actually working on a draft for them, but I gotten distracted with many other things besides this at the moment. And I haven't really found the time to focus on so many things at once. I've also been trying to improve on my Digimon self insert character (AKA Mia) to make her more well rounded and better developed.
If you guys joined other RPs, that's cool! I'll try to get the threads for my RP down eventually, I guess I just need more time to work on them.

Lord Archfiend Kliff

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I please just get an answer on why have there been so many RPs recently with the same premise? I know one of them is mine and while it still ended last year, it is still fairly recent. But is there a need to have 2 RPs with the same vague premises of “The world is divided into tribes according to the species”? Couldn’t there be a bigger collaboration in this sub-forum to make a joint RP, you know, so we could build presence. I personally ain’t too keen on RPing so soon after I fucked up my own projects, not once but twice, but if there was a more cohesive group I would totally be in.

I mostly say this in hopes of sparking more discussion, in-fact, I think we should have had a decent discussion between the people interested for some time now.

The biggest problem in my eyes with the RP section is the constant drop-offs in people, and while I understand that people have lives, in fact I once had one too, it gets ridiculous how many RPs have died like that, many of them with HYPE and promise that didn’t even get out of the introductory stages.

As such I’ll launch some questions to your RPers and those who are interested:
1.Would be your premise of choice?
2.Where do you think the problem with player drop-off stems from? Slow starts, IRL stuff and/or bad GMs or players? Between other things that might impact that.
3.What do you think is the problem with the lack of interest on the side of new people? (Ask this because when I joined this was WAY more active)
4.What do you think could be done to improve community unity and collaboration?
5.Am I overreacting or is this something that has crossed your mind?

I’m no mod but I think this sub-forum could use a renaissance, you know, at least trying to iron out some of it’s flaws.

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would like to RP, I tried twice before a few years ago, I was inexperienced though I think I improved over time. I would like to do something, maybe cyber punk or maybe a generations of tamers thing. I think slow start is one but I think lack of experienced GMS is a big killer.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you guys are interested, perhaps I could make a discord server for people here who are interested in RPing, that way ideas can be communicated in real time and what not. It seems like the same 'faces' have been posting here looking for some 'action' so to speak, so... yeah, throwing that out there.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i would volunteer for GM position, i made a bunch of RPs before and had one running for a pretty long time and i made a system that works quite well, a couple years ago i even made a system for a Digimon RP but it never came to be.
i don´t mind ´what premise you want so whatever you people like

2.Where do you think the problem with player drop-off stems from? Slow starts, IRL stuff and/or bad GMs or players? Between other things that might impact that.
i think this is the biggest problem, the solution is easy however.
i noticed this because i already made a bunch of RPs and post by play ALWAYS dies on forums, it´s slow and and the players can´t really interact with each other cause you don´t want small posts.
if you have set dates on certain times people are more likely to stay, Saturday evening tends to be the best opportunity because of time-zones.
you also make alot more progres in ~3hours then you would on post by play, for example Deino´s RP would have only taken an hour at max if you play in real time.

we even got an IRC chatroom here on this side which i used before for an RP, works perfect.

i also played with the idea of an unconventional RP, where i post a bit of story with differnet choices and people voting what happens next, then posting the next bit of story with the next choice and so on.
it´s pretty fun and everyone on the forum can post with no set players.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Same reason I don't play DnD and such. Setting up times and meets and doing it all real time just doesn't work for me.

Exodd

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Couldn’t there be a bigger collaboration in this sub-forum to make a joint RP, you know, so we could build presence.
I think there could but that would probably benefit with a lot more regular communication that I'm not sure is possible here. Having said that, I could be considered terrible at communication.

The biggest problem in my eyes with the RP section is the constant drop-offs in people, and while I understand that people have lives, in fact I once had one too, it gets ridiculous how many RPs have died like that, many of them with HYPE and promise that didn’t even get out of the introductory stages.
I don't remember seeing much hype here, but yeah, at least more people that wanted to stop should have posted saying so.

I don't have much experience with RPs outside of here, but after watching a few played by others I noticed a problem in creating them that might doom them. That is, trying to enforce a linear story with a pre-defined course and destination. I don't know for sure if anyone else here was trying to do this, but I know I was with my own RP attempt. I think this is obvious to do for a Digimon theme, because most of the media has followed a similar pattern: the characters evolve together through each of the levels and then fight a big bad. That means having a set amount of arcs, and knowing almost exactly what to expect in each. I'm not sure that translates well to the format. For that, the players have to be strung along and left in the dark. Not meant as a slight, but based on most of the threads here, I got the idea that forum RPGs were supposed to be strict collaborative fan-fiction. I think players will have more fun if they are allowed to be spontaneous, and the story adapts to their decisions.

I think a good example is URealms on Twitch/Youtube. I have been thinking about how to play something similar here, perhaps even incorporating a Digimon theme somehow. Maybe a series of short stories would be more appealing than a long one, at least.

I don't know if something like that will work on a forum, though, which is why I agree with using a chatroom or something similar or at least trying to have some kind of schedule. The 'spam' rule is certainly an issue for at least one case already, and only being able to post one cautious paragraph every week or so can become tedious. (I think if we do use a chatroom, that should be something that's free and perhaps doesn't even require an account.)

Last edited:

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
yeah you have to keep it spontanous, in my last RP i had some set pints but how the player got to there i left completly open, sometimes i had an idea and went for that.
also one of the players came up with something major and i just rolled with it.

as i said before i would really like to make a RP for you guys, set date and time is really the best solution
we should atleast give it a shot.

DredhedVoodoo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didnt know there was another RP with a "Tribe" premise.

Lord Archfiend Kliff

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had to put this off for a bit but thanks for your responses.

I would like to do something, maybe cyber punk or maybe a generations of tamers thing. I think slow start is one but I think lack of experienced GMS is a big killer.
I know by trying to manage one that sometimes things get a bit too linear, I've been watching some RPs on Youtube and such to improve that too, plus trying to RP a character and NPCs doesn't work for as much I try to. The Cyberpunk idea is something I thought of before but I wouldn't GM anything anyways.

If you guys are interested, perhaps I could make a discord server for people here who are interested in RPing, that way ideas can be communicated in real time and what not. It seems like the same 'faces' have been posting here looking for some 'action' so to speak, so... yeah, throwing that out there.
I'm not familiar with Discord but if that allows the community to work out this issues more easily I think it's worth a try.

i think this is the biggest problem, the solution is easy however.
i noticed this because i already made a bunch of RPs and post by play ALWAYS dies on forums, it´s slow and and the players can´t really interact with each other cause you don´t want small posts.
if you have set dates on certain times people are more likely to stay, Saturday evening tends to be the best opportunity because of time-zones.
you also make alot more progres in ~3hours then you would on post by play, for example Deino´s RP would have only taken an hour at max if you play in real time.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Same reason I don't play DnD and such. Setting up times and meets and doing it all real time just doesn't work for me.
These are both valid concerns, post by post is indeed slow and lends itself to death more often than not, but for example if a person from New Zealand or Australia wanted to join an RP with me it would basically be impossible to set a date. IDK how many people from that area RP here but I think that set dates and hours is too strict. Maybe a set timeslot to respond, a "post until" date or something, I don't think things aren't going well as they are now but I don't think such an extreme change would be the solution, at least without giving other middleground ideas a try.

I don't have much experience with RPs outside of here, but after watching a few played by others I noticed a problem in creating them that might doom them. That is, trying to enforce a linear story with a pre-defined course and destination. I don't know for sure if anyone else here was trying to do this, but I know I was with my own RP attempt. I think this is obvious to do for a Digimon theme, because most of the media has followed a similar pattern: the characters evolve together through each of the levels and then fight a big bad. That means having a set amount of arcs, and knowing almost exactly what to expect in each. I'm not sure that translates well to the format. For that, the players have to be strung along and left in the dark. Not meant as a slight, but based on most of the threads here, I got the idea that forum RPGs were supposed to be strict collaborative fan-fiction. I think players will have more fun if they are allowed to be spontaneous, and the story adapts to their decisions.

I don't know if something like that will work on a forum, though, which is why I agree with using a chatroom or something similar or at least trying to have some kind of schedule. The 'spam' rule is certainly an issue for at least one case already, and only being able to post one cautious paragraph every week or so can become tedious. (I think if we do use a chatroom, that should be something that's free and perhaps doesn't even require an account.)
I noticed that as well, I'm a culprit of that crime, in a way having other people fill in the blanks for your fan fiction instead of playing in your RP. I also repeat what I said before schedules can be an excluding thing but I also don't have better suggestions. If anyone has a better suggestion that allows more people to participate while making it more fluid I would love to hear it.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
yeah time-zones are a bit of a handicap, though i think it´s manageable, EU-NA worked before, for EU it´s evening-night and for NA it´s lunch-afternoon.
it might help if people interested in RPing would post the country they come from to see if we could find a reasonable timeslot.

Deino and myself are both EU so that makes things a bit easier to figure out.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Discord is like Skype, just a lot better. You can use it in browser but I recommend downloading the client and registering with an account.

It's not completely set up yet, but if you want to join up and get to being able to talk about stuff, you can do that here: https://discord.gg/DTmjGPq

DredhedVoodoo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can I please just get an answer on why have there been so many RPs recently with the same premise? I know one of them is mine and while it still ended last year, it is still fairly recent. But is there a need to have 2 RPs with the same vague premises of “The world is divided into tribes according to the species”? Couldn’t there be a bigger collaboration in this sub-forum to make a joint RP, you know, so we could build presence. I personally ain’t too keen on RPing so soon after I fucked up my own projects, not once but twice, but if there was a more cohesive group I would totally be in.

I mostly say this in hopes of sparking more discussion, in-fact, I think we should have had a decent discussion between the people interested for some time now.

As such I’ll launch some questions to your RPers and those who are interested:
1.Would be your premise of choice?
3.What do you think is the problem with the lack of interest on the side of new people? (Ask this because when I joined this was WAY more active)
4.What do you think could be done to improve community unity and collaboration?
5.Am I overreacting or is this something that has crossed your mind?

I’m no mod but I think this sub-forum could use a renaissance, you know, at least trying to iron out some of it’s flaws.
My premise wasn't that vague....I mean, I didn't know there was another rp with a similar idea to begin with and all but still.

Didn't think starting up an rp would cause some irritation amongst you guys. Sorry for that.