Return of the Damned- 4Kids with New Anime

NewsBot

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hope no one is a fan of D-Kids Adventure (Kodai Ōja Kyōryū King D-Kids Adventure).

4kids has it and it starts soon as Dinosaur King.

I told people to stop celebrating 4kids doing badly as of later, because them doing badly without anime would just shove them to get more since it was their sucesses in the past.

-- <span style="font-variant: small-caps; font-size: 9pt;">godofchaos</span>

Source: 4Kids to Premiere Sega's Dinosaur King Anime on Fox (Anime News Network)

SakuyamonX

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey I know that show, I've seen some episodes of the original (it's decent) because it reminded me of Digimon.

Let's see how much they fudge up this show >_>;

MugenSeiRyuu

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, I happen to collect 2chan pics of the "Adult Level" Dinosaurs. ( Dinosaurs are a hobby of mine ).

Sounds like it will be screwed !

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, 4Kids are really horrible at what they do. This may be interesting but it may just be failure.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Though 4Kids sucks it does give us all something to put down. I mean we all know how bad they are, sure they may have an occasional anime fan, but not many of them.

Though they will more than likely ruin the series, it just gives us more reasons to hate their guts, even though we don't need any more reasons.

RewolfJ

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Unknown Neo link=topic=4741.msg64080#msg64080 date=1188440807]
Yeah, 4Kids are really horrible at what they do. [/quote]
Their financial success contradicts that statement.

Did you know in the 90's Spiderman cartoon, Spidey wasn't allowed to punch anybody and nobody was allowed to say "die"? I never even noticed those as a kid (I noticed the laser guns, but I didn't mind them).
Personally, I don't mind 4kids making anime kid-safe, soccermom-safe, and full of dumb jokes. Anybody old enough to want the big kid's edition probably already downloaded the fansub, hung the wallscroll over their bed, and bought the special-edition 12-disc DVD boxset. And yeah, sure a flood of dumb kids are into your series afterwards, but is that any worse than say, a flood of dumb Adult Swim viewers? The answer is a flat out no. Kids will actually outgrow it eventually and they get around a lot less in both the real world and the internet.

RewolfJ

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Raptorscribe link=topic=4741.msg64110#msg64110 date=1188459439]
Their financial success contradicts that statement.

Uh, I'm pretty sure they've been losing money.
[/quote]
Probably because they primarily work in television and it's the end of summer.
As for this year: Click
They seem to be doing about the same as they were at this time last year.
Regardless, one doesn't get a full Saturday morning programming block on national TV named after their company by being horrible at what they do.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it isn't 'named' after them, they for all intents and purposes 'buy' the time, fox no longer has any interest in running a kids block, but still needs to meat the E/I standards, in exchange for allowing them to buy the time 4kids must help them meet those standards, if you checked their worth over a longer period then just 'summer' you'd know that since february 2004 theyve been on a downward slide, right now their stock has gone up a tad and it is still one of the worst periods the company has had in many years, not being involved with pokemon since it has had its recent resurgance clamped down on a positive they might have otherwise had, the negative bumps for 4kids began when they started to put a greater emphasis on shows they 'made' rather then shows they licensed, and to help turn that around I wouldn't be suprised if we saw many more 'franchise happy' anime's being licensed by them in the near future as a way to try to turn this around since the 2 biggest hits the company has had are well known as 'that anime stuff' even by people who pay little to no attention to anime

your flaw is in assuming that because it is the same level as last year that that is good

Blackjack Gabbiani

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they need to dump Al Kahn. He seems to be behind all of their bad decisions. But I remember when FUNImation was one of the worst companies, and now they're one of the best. You never know, maybe in 10 years or so, 4Kids could have that kind of turnaround. I see potential in them, in dubs like Mewtwo Returns (I mean come on, how they dubbed Giovanni alone made that special awesome).

But another evil, with all kiddie dubs, is the FCC. They're the ones who dictate that you can't have blood or anything like that on a kids' show. They're the reason the Naruto dubbers record two versions of each episode, so they have a sanitized kiddie version for tv and an uncut version for home release. There ought to be no reason for that. But the FCC fines like crazy, especially lately.

4Kids isn't a cause, it's a symptom of something far more insidious.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Once again, people having no idea what they are talking about.

Naruto is on cable, on cable it is up to the CHANNEL to decide what they want to show, any edits made are because THEY DON'T WANT TO SHOW IT.

It's only 'insidious' when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kahn does need to retire. He has no idea what he's talking about sometimes and I have a list of things he said that are wrong and that anger me to degrees.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=4741.msg64170#msg64170 date=1188525054]
Once again, people having no idea what they are talking about.

Naruto is on cable, on cable it is up to the CHANNEL to decide what they want to show, any edits made are because THEY DON'T WANT TO SHOW IT.

It's only 'insidious' when you have no idea what you are talking about.
[/quote]

Not according to Crispin Freeman. He's on a mailing list I'm on, and he was talking about how the censors were making them do edits. Not the network, mind you. The censors made demands that the show be cut to attain the desired rating.

FCC still makes demands on kids shows. Look at Cyber Six. That had to be edited severely for FOX to show it, and it was a CANADIAN show. They made FOX take out all the references to killing and dying, and they cut a close up of a zipper on a woman's back during a key scene.

Heck, look at a domestic show, Batman: The Animated Series (and all incarnations). They couldn't make any references to people being shot, so when Gordon got shot in one episode, they weren't allowed to actually *say* so. Even direct-to-video things suffered for it, what with them having to change the fate of the Joker in the Batman Beyond movie.

And I'd appreciate a bit of civility, especially from a mod.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The FCC can't MAKE anyone remove content, it is not a censoring agency (yeah yeah, seperate argument, but it isn't).

And I'm not a mod, and as Popeye would say 'I calls it as I sees it, ah-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah'.

Any censoring to get a specific rating is done specific to the network that airs it, company that makes it, or people involved with the production therein.

The TV ratings system isn't mandatory either.

I'm a big fan of Crispin Freeman, but either he is wrong, or you misunderstood what he said.

also, the FCC doesn't effect cable AT ALL in what it does, public over the air TV only, and that isn't censoring, it's coming down on them with fines and stuff AFTER the fact if they quote/unquote 'go over the line'

Blackjack Gabbiani

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm just going by what he said.

The FCC *does* make people do it, because if people don't comply to their rules, they get stiff fines. That's like saying that the police don't make people follow laws or something. In the loosest sence they don't, but boy are they there when you do something they don't like.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You can be arrested prior to breaking a law though, bank robbery is illegal, 'planning' to isn't, but if you plan to seriously enough it is considered conspiracy to commit a crime.

The police can stop you prior to you committing a crime, the FCC can only dole out fines AFTER the fact.

TMNT had onscreen decapitation in 2003 in a Saturday morning cartoon on an over the air network, they didn't get fined for it as far as I am aware. (I should also note, this is a 4kids show they MADE, it wasn't licensed and edited down or altered, it is their 'homegrown' show)

decap.jpg
(the head bounced also)

MugenSeiRyuu

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Beheading however didn´t cause actual damage.

I guess they think that Anime has to be aimed at a way younger main audience or are xenophobic or whatever goes on in their heads.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At the time though you aren't aware of his origins or that he isn't human, and at the very end of the episode to go back to the scene and see the body pick up the head and walk off is pretty creepy.

MugenSeiRyuu

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, looking at it that way, it is pretty strange that an Anime where the same is done would pretty much be cut.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It depends on the audience they want, and what kind of creative control people choose to have, generally when anime is licensed they just don't care.

Peter Laird, co-creator, and sole owner, of the Ninja Turtles, stays very hands on with stuff, especially the 2003 series and convinced whoever to let them do it.