ReBoot (TV series) - HUGE announcement on Page 2, ReBoot is BACK!

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I come from the Net,
Through systems, peoples, and cities
To this place: Mainframe!

My format: Guardian, To Mend and Defend.
To defend my newfound friends,
Their hopes, and dreams.
To defend them from
Their enemies.

~

They say the User lives outside the Net
And inputs games for pleasure.
No one knows for sure, but I intend to find out.
ReBoot!

Awhile back, I had begun to watch this show for the first time in several years. And now, I am stopping. I am so finished with watching this show. Now, I know that it was like the sister-series of Beast Wars (the highest-regarded of all Transformers cartoons), having been made by the same company and voice cast and such, but now, I am through with watching ReBoot.

Why have I stopped watching it? Well...

...Because there are no more episodes to watch after its final episode, of course. ;)

Yep, I finished the whole thing. All 47 episodes of this amazing epic of a CGI show! It deserved every Gemini Award that it won: "Best Animated Program Series" (three times!), "Outstanding Technical Achievement Award", the 1995 Award of Excellence and Best Animated Program from the Alliance for Children and Television, and an Aurora Award in 1996.

So, what is there to like about this series? Well, what's not to like about it?

Well, okay, there were a few bumps in the road near the beginning. Season 1 was pretty episodic with nothing but standalone episodes with Saturday morning cartoon-styled plots. But, it helped establish who the characters were and what the show was gonna be like. Basically, it all centered around Bob, a Guardian sprite from the Super Computer who has come to the system of Mainframe, to "mend and defend" it from such threats as viruses. Namely, the two primary antagonist viruses Megabyte, an Order virus, and Hexadecimal, a Chaos virus.

Bob is aided by his good friend Dot Matrix, a local diner owner, and her younger brother Enzo Matrix. Where Bob is the archetypal hero and action guy, Dot is the responsible one who keeps everyone in check and comes up with the plans and strategies. The two often butt heads with each other, but they still hold a deep respect for one another. Enzo is the typical energetic kid who's always looking for action and adventure, looking up to bob as his hero, and using such slang terms like "Alphanumeric!" and "Pixalacious!" (he could get quite annoying at times, but he got WAY better as the series progressed). Bob is also armed with a special device called a Key Tool, his known by the name of Glitch, which can produce a multitude of items and objects, as well as perform various functions, when given Bob's vocal commands.

Aside from Megabyte and Hexadecimal, Mainframe is under constant attack by computer games input by the User, which descend from the sky down towards the city in the form of large energy "Game Cubes". It is Bob's job to play the games and win against the User, or else the sector of the city in which the game lands in will become decimated and its inhabitant nullified if the User wins. Bob is often accompanied in the games by Dot, Enzo, and sometimes Enzo's dog Frisket. Other times, Megabyte would interfere with the games and use them to try to get either Bob or any of his friends deleted.

Megabyte's goal throughout the show is to "corrupt and conquer" Mainframe, destroying it and reconstructing it in his own image as "Megaframe". But his ultimate desire to gain access to the Super Computer and infect the entire Net. In his mission of conquest, he is aided by two bumbling idiot minions, Hack and Slash, who serve as comedic foils to Megabyte's charisma and gravitas. Hexadecimal, on the other hand, is a being of pure insanity. She has godlike powers and could potentially destroy everything and anything at will, but she's just too crazy and theatrical to think like that, switching back and forth from all emotions and mood swings from happy, to sad, to furious rage, to just plain silly. Such a destructive action wouldn't be any "fun" for her, as she'd much rather get some enjoyment out of her schemes. Because of this unpredictable nature of her's, it makes her more dangerous than if she were as cunning and calculating as Megabyte.

While season 1 was pretty much nothing but standalone stories, season 2 took things to next level, so to speak. The first half of was mostly another batch of one-off single episodes, but they were better written with the stakes made higher and greater risks involved. With each plot, Megabyte got closer and closer to victory and Hex's schemes got more and more outrageous. Still, both continued to be thwarted by Bob. And the games got more and more creative and harder to beat, leaving Bob/Dot/Enzo having to resort to sometimes cheating to win by destroying, rather than simply beating, the User's game sprites.

About halfway through the second season, new faces were added to the cast, and a new plotline was added to the story. A sassy hacker with a southern drawl named Mouse joined the heroes, creating a very jealous Dot whenever she would flirt with Bob. And, a game sprite named AndrAIa (pronounced like "Andrea") was released from a game to be new friend for Enzo (who was lacking in sprite friends his own age since Mainframe's Twin City was destroyed long ago).

But with new allies came new threats. A creature from the Web, a dangerous layer of Cyber Space, arrived in Mainframe and began a four-episode story arc in the final episodes of season 2, which led to Megabyte and Hexadecimal becoming more dangerous than ever, and eventually leading to the Web Creature putting Mainframe online, allowing all sorts of horrors from Web to pour into Mainframe and start the Web War. All the residents of Mainframe, including Megabyte and Hex, did their best to defend it, but once they were finally in the clear, Megabyte pulled a double cross and did something that shot the whole series up to achieving epic proportions, ending season 2 on a cliffhanger.

Season 3 kicked in right where season 3 left off. The Viral War had begun. Megabyte was no longer fooling around and had become a major threat, aiming to obtain full dominance of Mainframe once and for all. Without spoiling too much, as this season was hands down the greatest season of the show, this season was split into four 4-episode story arcs (a total of 16 season 3 episodes). The second story arc took our attention away from Mainframe for a while to give focus on some other systems, as the plot changed from the war in Mainframe to Net-wide quest that went from system to system and beyond, all the way to the Web, and finally back to Mainframe.

The final battle against Megabyte was a most satisfying battle indeed. No guns. No special weapons. Just good old fashioned hand-to-hand "beat'em up" action. And even without any special gimmicks, you cannot help but love every moment of it! The good guy whose life Megabyte ruined finally getting his revenge, the feeling of the ultimate foe getting exactly what he deserves, AND the fight never crossed into unrighteous territory. That's right, it maintained both a sense of cold vengeance and righteous justice at the same time, topped off with a conclusion that was deliciously sweet, and an aftermath that was catastrophic and intense!

Four years after the end of the electrifying third season came fourth and final season. Season four was very short, as it had been originally crafted as two direct-to-video movies titled "Daemon Rising" and "My Two Bobs", which were split into four episodes each. The first four episodes focused on the Super Virus named Daemon who had done the unthinkable and had infected the Super Computer, through which she began to infect the entire Net, with Mainframe as the last bastion of resistance to her Word. The final four dealt with the bizarre appearance of not one, but two Bobs. No one knew who was the original and who was the fake, but something evil was afoot and an old enemy from the past was making a grand return to wreak havoc and terror across the system. All of which ended on a cliffhanger; not because it was the season finale and they were trying to build up suspense for the next season (like they excellently did in season 2), but because more episodes were planned to follow right afterward until the show was then canceled. What. A. Crock! :mad:

But overall, it was great! Season 3 especially! I highly recommend this series to anyone curious about it, anyone who watched it and wants to relive their childhood, or anyone looking for good late-90s/early-2000s entertainment to watch. After all, it was the very first completely CGI 30-minute show for television and featured some of my favorite voice actors such as Garry Chalk, Scott McNeil, Ian James Corlett, Tony Jay, Andrea Libman, Blu Mankuma, David Kaye, Richard Newman, Paul Dobson, and even Frank Welker! The entire series is now available on DVD from Shout! Factory.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Re: ReBoot (TV series)

I agree. It was very interesting. I hope they'll able to get the sequels or whatever they are up and finished.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Unknown Neo link=topic=16725.msg222913#msg222913 date=1325554181]
I agree. It was very interesting. I hope they'll able to get the sequels or whatever they are up and finished.
[/quote]

The stuff being planned (or at least was last we heard) had basically no one from the original Reboot involved outside of perhaps an animator or two.

The people who gave the show magic are long since gone.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=16725.msg222917#msg222917 date=1325564767]
The stuff being planned (or at least was last we heard) had basically no one from the original Reboot involved outside of perhaps an animator or two.

The people who gave the show magic are long since gone.
[/quote]Well, that's a kick to the head.

Someone on another forum told me Garry Chalk mentioned at Auto Assembly 2010 that the follow up stuff to ReBoot was pretty much finished, with the original cast returning and all the bureaucratic stuff needing to be cleared before anything can really proceed onward. I'm skeptical about this, but I'd like to think that there's hope.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

That is a Boot to the Head. I'm surprised but I do hope we could at least get closure on the series. It's the only I'd ask for for most series.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I wouldn't think that such a revival would be entirely out of the question, what with such sites as reboot.com and rebootrevival.com. The latter keeps up with recent ReBoot news, such as a second artbook being released and the DVD releases.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I just had to post in this topic. This summer at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, they had a ReBoot table. The second art book isnt spectacular. But, meeting Bob sure was!

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Da_Duke2000 link=topic=16725.msg230230#msg230230 date=1339364724]
I just had to post in this topic. This summer at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, they had a ReBoot table. The second art book isnt spectacular. But, meeting Bob sure was!
[/quote]Awesome.

That reminds me. At this year's BotCon, at the Garry chalk and David Kaye panel, someone asked Garry about the status of any possible revival of ReBoot, and he said that all of the original cast are still willing to take part in any such revival, but that the only thing that's really preventing anything from commencing is some "bureaucratic" matters with the people who own the show. That's the biggest obstacle in the way of any revival happening, and that's gotta get sorted out before anything can really get going on it. And, it's a complicated obstacle in and of itself, so there's nothing that can really be done until the bureaucracy of it all is dealt with. Though, he did see that there is still quite the fan interest in the show, so he remains hopeful.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I remember this show. Mildly, since I was hella young when they broadcasted it.

Before I watched it, I thought it was gonna be awesome. After I saw a couple episodes, I was too embarrassed to watch the rest.

But that was years ago. I'm surprised that it was the first CGI show, and in retrospect, it probably won't that bad. It's always nice to pick up childhood shows and rewatch/finish them, for better or for worse. I tend to walk away from them feeling a little odd, a tad ashamed, but overall glad.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Being Canadian, it was always a sense of pride that the series was made by the Canadian company Mainframe. After the first season they did the upgrade to the graphics, which really became much more impressive.

It really is a goodie to watch start to finish, they did a very good job of keeping filler to a minimum (in later seasons) and drawing back on previous plot points.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

[quote author=Da_Duke2000 link=topic=16725.msg230511#msg230511 date=1340658278]
It really is a goodie to watch start to finish, they did a very good job of keeping filler to a minimum (in later seasons) and drawing back on previous plot points.
[/quote]You can leave out the parenthesis since it was mostly ALL filler until the episode that introduced AndrAIa. :p

NearTheTamer

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Okay,I just got such a nostalgia kick from this! I remember being a kid and watching this late at night (11 pm is late for a kid :p)
while waiting for my dad to get home. I still remember Enzo and AndrAIa losing that one game and having to become game sprites,leading to Enzo's journey to return to Mainframe as Matrix. I got to go back and find out how Enzo and Matrix began to coexist (I know it had something to do with a backup). Anyway,great overview!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Matrix had his icon in sprite mode when the whole place got reset so the previous backup of Enzo showed up. Sadly, there's still no other kids for him though.

Sonic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ReBoot is definitely one of my favourites, well... after I started seeing episodes OTHER than "Quick and the Fed." I don't know what it was, but I seemed to only see THAT episode in the early days of ReBoot. At some point, though, I kinda lost track of ReBoot, managing to re-discover the show with "Web World Wars"

The poor series, however, just cannot get a break with DVD releases. First there was the Anchor Bay DVD with the two "season 4" movies with the improper PAL to NTSC conversion process, resulting in a slightly slower playback. Unfortunately, I missed the replacement offer for a fixed disc. Bummer.

Then there were the Shout! Factory DVD sets which, surprisingly, also featured an improper PAL to NTSC conversion but such was done before the materials were provided to Shout! so it was really out of their hands. Unlike Anchor Bay, however, this conversion resulted in a warbling effect with varying degrees of distraction. It turns out this is something of a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing as there have been reports of people not hearing the anomalies. Visually, however, the DVD look awesome and is undoubtedly the best ReBoot has ever looked.

Luckily for me, I didn't get rid of my broadcast recordings which, while they are VHS copies recorded to DVD, are likely to have garbage visuals, but the audio should be in at least acceptable quality. Too bad I don't have the capabilities to sync up the broadcast audio with the DVD visuals but that wouldn't really do anything for me where season four is concerned, as I don't have recordings of the episodic versions of the movies.

But, hey... at least I HAVE the episodes!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never noticed anything off with my Shout! Factory DVDs.

This was a well known issue.

Rainmaker apparently 'lost' the NTSC masters for Reboot, and they converted the PAL masters they gave to Shout incorrectly.

Sonic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, Mainframe produced everything in PAL because the quality would be superior to NTSC, but it has been said on the Shout! Factory message board that the 25 FPS PAL masters were converted to 23.98 FPS and then to the NTSC 29.97 FPS. The least that could have been done, I think, is for Rainmaker to have provided Shout! with PAL masters and let them do their own conversion to fix the issue, but it had been inferred that the original masters don't exist anymore.

I cannot wrap my head around that, especially considering how protective Mainframe was about the property, opting to let "My Two Bobs" effectively be the end of the series rather than cede ownership to Cartoon Network in order to resolve the cliffhanger and potentially produce another season. With the digital nature of the show, I would think it would be a no-brainer to have a backup of the original elements. I mean, even after 20 years, Paramount had the majority of original elements of Star Trek: The Next Generation to make a high quality Blu-ray release possible.

Hopefully Rainmaker isn't that incompetent and still has the source materials which may produce a definitive DVD set in the future and would be able to include the episodic and movie versions of season 4.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ReBoot will return after these messages:

Development Of An All-New ReBoot Animated Series

Among The First Projects Under The Classic Corporate Banner

Mainframe Entertainment To Bring Tiger’s Apprentice,

A 52x11Minute Animated Series, Pitch To MIPCOM

VANCOUVER, BC (September 30, 2013) – A renowned global animation brand is about to be re-booted. Reflecting the company’s commitment to the production of animated programming for television, Rainmaker Entertainment Inc. has named its television division Mainframe Entertainment.

In conjunction with the re-birth of Mainframe Entertainment, a name celebrated for its pioneering achievements in computer-animated television, the company has unveiled the first two series in development: an all-new version of the popular ReBoot franchise and Tiger’s Apprentice, a CGI animated series based on the trilogy of young adult novels written by award-winning author Laurence Yep.

The reimagining of the venerable ReBoot series comes just in time for its 20th anniversary. Making its debut on television screens in 1994, ReBoot was centered on the world of Mainframe, where a guardian program sprite and his friends defended the system from superviruses bent on creating havoc and destruction. Mainframe Entertainment will team with leading computer industry manufacturers to update the ReBoot universe and create a ground-breaking viewing experience for fans.

Mainframe has also partnered with Jane Startz, the multi- Emmy, Golden Globe and ACE Award-winning producer of Ella Enchanted, The Indian In The Cupboard, Tuck Everlasting and the acclaimed The Magic School Bus. Tiger’s Apprentice, a coming of age story centered around 12-year-old Tom Lee and the Guardians of the Phoenix. Set in San Francisco, this modern-day fantasy is filled with classic Chinese lore, magic, comedy and action as Tom and the Guardians fight to protect the human race from ancient evil forces intent on its destruction. Mainframe has optioned the animation rights to Tiger’s Apprentice as part of its commitment towards bringing popular book-based children’s properties to television.

“We are excited to focus our television production activities under the Mainframe brand with an all-new version of ReBoot as well as engage with celebrated children’s programming producer Jane Startz onTiger’s Apprentice. ReBoot is certain to be embraced by a new generation of fans while Tiger’s Apprentice will provide a bold and unique television experience for kids everywhere,” said Michael Hefferon, President and Executive Producer of Mainframe parent Rainmaker Entertainment
Acquired from Starz Media in 2006 by then newly-established Rainmaker Entertainment, Mainframe Entertainment was responsible for an impressive production slate throughout the 1990’s and early 2000’s, including several seasons of ReBoot, as well as the critically-acclaimed ‘Transformers’ spin-offBeast Wars. Mainframe credits also include Weird-Oh’s, Spider-Man, Action Man, Heavy Gear, Max Steel, Scary Godmother andBarbie.

About Rainmaker Entertainment

Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Rainmaker Entertainment Inc. is a multifaceted animation studio and one of Canada's largest producers of CG animation. On February 15, 2013, Rainmaker’s first feature film, Escape From Planet Earth (distributed by The Weinstein Company), opened on 3200 screens across North America. Currently the studio is working on its second feature, Ratchet and Clank. Based on the popular Sony PlayStation game, this film is slated for release in 2015. For more information, visit www.rainmaker.com.

- SSA Public Relations
- Steve Syatt
- ssyatt@ssapr.com
- (818) 907-0500
We now return to ReBoot!

And to Mainframe Entertainment as well! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's great but will we ever see the ending? Maybe they'll figure something out. Though how would the whole thing work out now?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another announcement related to the first one - http://www.rainmaker.com/?/site/news_archives/2013

The new ReBoot won’t quite be as fans remember

Rainmaker Entertainment president Michael Hefferon spills details on the relaunch

reboot_2_e1383163909741.jpg

Beloved 1990s kids show ReBoot is getting rebooted. But it won’t quite be the same show its original fans remember.

Rainmaker Entertainment announced earlier this month that its television division, Mainframe Entertainment, will be resurrecting the computer-animated show about sprites living in the computerized town of Mainframe.

The Canadian-made show first aired in 1994 and has been off the airwaves for over a decade.

Rainmaker itself created BringBackReBoot campaign with support from the show’s fans, who are now well out of their childhood years. Although they’re getting their wish of a relaunch, technology has outpaced the personal computer world of the original ReBoot.

“The world of technology has change drastically in the 20 years from when ReBoot first started,” Rainmaker president Michael Hefferon told Canada.com, and hinted that they already had a strategic partnership with one “major computer entity” to bring the show into the new millennium.

“Countless people have gone into technology jobs because of ReBoot”

The world of ReBoot will need an upgrade for a new generation — and yes, that includes the characters: Bob, Enzo, Dot, Phong, Hexadecimal, Megabyte and the whole gang are unlikely to be featured players any longer.

“I don’t think too many people would remember what a Dot Matrix is anymore,” said Hefferon.

That’s not to say your old favourites are gone forever. Hefferon says a mix of old and new is the most likely outcome.

“I think there’s always opportunities to bring characters back for fun cameo appearances,” he said.

“We’’re very big fans of the characters, the world, but now trying to say how do those characters and worlds fit today for a new generation of kids who don’t know anything about the previous ReBoot.”

Which, as a reminder, looked like this:

Rainmaker and Mainframe are shooting for a “cross-family” approach, with gags and references that “will be a lot of fun for the existing ReBoot fans,” said Hefferon.

However, ReBoot will continue to be a kids’ show. And kids these days are more familiar with clouds, mobile technology and online gaming than with the single-player, human vs. computer-style games we saw in the original ReBoot. In 1994, families were just starting to have internet connections in their homes. Today, kids are practically born with an iPhone in hand.

With that in mind, the new show won’t just be a show. Hefferon said they’re planning a cross-platform experience that kids can engage with even when the show isn’t on. That means an app, interaction on social media with characters, earning points for participating online during broadcasts or viewers designing their own computerized characters.

“The ReBoot world has grown beyond a mainframe,” said Hefferon.

Though much will be new about ReBoot, the creators still want to harness the original show’s affinity for turning kids on to technology.

“I’ve been so impressed hearing from fans how ReBoot basically helped facilitate or open up their eyes to opportunities for their careers,” said Hefferon. “Countless people have gone into technology jobs because of ReBoot.”

Computer-generated graphics are par for the course now, so for the reboot Hefferon wants to get kids hooked on coding. He plans to push computer coding languages in the show then create further opportunities to learn through the show’s online counterparts.

“Coding has become such an important aspect, it effects every part of our lives whether we know it or we don’t know it,” said Hefferon.

Of course, all this is still in the planning stages. The new ReBoot won’t officially be pitched until this February as Rainmaker goes looking for broadcasters and partners. They’re eyeing YTV, the children’s television channel where the show originally aired, to broadcast the relaunch as well.

Ideally, said Hefferon, the team will be writing scripts by next summer.

Although all of this means that the old ReBoot is truly gone for good, Hefferon wants the new series to have the same impact the original show had as the first half-hour fully-computer-animated TV program.

“There’s so many things that we can do now with technology that didn’t exist or was in its infancy stage with ReBoot,” said Hefferon.

“We want to create that same ‘wow’ factor.”