Random Site Updates, and Looking for News Person

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thought I'd give everyone a few site updates and whatnot.

By and large any random glitches from the forum move have been fixed minus 2. Links to old forum urls- These can only be fixed by manually changing them, but as threads move on to new ones and old ones get pushed down these issue is vanishing. Ditto for the second problem, which is old SMF code not transferring to VB code. We are still looking for a solution to getting the cleaner to work though.

Next up is April Fools. I don't expect we will have an April Fools gag this year just due to lack of time.

A big one is, as I get less time, I think we need 1 (or 2 or 3) people to do news (not that I plan to stop.) Preferably someone who already keeps on top of the news and can post it as it shows up. Feel free to post in the thread or PM me if you are interested at all.

Another one is... vb5. vBulletin 5 came out, and as everyone recalls, we received it for free with our purchase of 4. I plan on having us stick with 4 for quite awhile though, as we put all the effort into it, and it's working relatively smoothly (does anyone else really wanna change software again so soon?) Hopefully by the time we decide to change to vb5 it'll get improved, our license for it won't vanish.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, in the hopes of getting us better equipment (And clearing out space) I've been thinking of doing WtW auctions for some of the odd collectible crap I've gotten over the years.

Some Digimon, some not (how much Digimon I can find depends on how much would be in the auction. Some of this stuff has been boxed up for years.) It'd be done at WtW specifically for members. Anyone have interest in this sort of thing?

I may or may not do it, I tend to be overly sentimental, but I am considering it.

A few things that might theoretically be in it.

Various copies of the Digimon the Movie promo gamecards (I literally have a case of these somewhere.)
Box of Digimon figures that were owned by both me and Jita (nothing special, just a bit unique in the sense that both owners owned the stuff in the box.)
Rare sealed figure set from Love Hina Again. These were never sold in the USA or Japan. You had to live in Japan, buy 3 specific DVDs, fill in various materials to get these.
Random Digimon production materials.
Autographed photo of the cast of RiD.
'Busted' White Ranger morpher replica prop (A replica maker made me a prop replica of what a busted White Ranger morpher would look like, styled on the design of Adam's busted morpher in Power Rangers in Space. I legitimately am not sure where this is, if I come across it, it'll be tossed in though.)

Whether I end up being able to remove my sentimentality to actually do the auction or not, who knows. (I also have a picture of a chibi Skuld that Hiroaki Gohda drew for me, regardlses of the auction, that isn't going anywhere.)

Regardless, if you have a few extra bucks, subscribe/donate to WtW so we can get better equipment. That way we can start using the shiny donators section. The forum and the various sites could really use better hardware so we can expand features (our forum software lets us have per user blogs, but we had to turn it off to save resources...)

Lagarmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the idea of an auction to help out the site. Though I have like nothing to sell & no cash to buy the expensive collectables people have. ^^; But I am selling my friend my English Blue D-Power for like $30, so I could always donate that when I get it. Not too important but I'm curious; when someone makes a donation how long does it take to travel to you guys? Do you online bank stuff like wiring your money to each other? Or can someone just put like $30 in an envelope & send it to you? Course I don't even know if sending money through mail is even legal. XD

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the idea of an auction to help out the site. Though I have like nothing to sell & no cash to buy the expensive collectables people have. ^^; But I am selling my friend my English Blue D-Power for like $30, so I could always donate that when I get it. Not too important but I'm curious; when someone makes a donation how long does it take to travel to you guys? Do you online bank stuff like wiring your money to each other? Or can someone just put like $30 in an envelope & send it to you? Course I don't even know if sending money through mail is even legal. XD
Donating at the moment is done in one of three ways. Paypal, Amazon Payments, or using Paypal via the internal 'subscription' system, which gets access to a private 'behind the scenes' forum section (which by and large is empty, wanna wait for people to be there to show odd behind the scenes stuff.)

Donations are always appreciated, but through the mail doesn't have any ability to be fixed if anything goes wrong. If there's an issue with Paypal or Amazon, it can be fixed. If something goes wrong in the mail, it's just gone.

With Paypal/Amazon it sits into the Paypal/Amazon account until it gets used directly from there, or, in rare cases, gets sent to my bank account (as an example, sent the money to my bank so I could use that to pay for vBulletin, our current software.)

WtW is neither cheap, nor expensive to run. It has decent sized bills.

The hope has always been to get donations not just for the rare cases where we 'have' to have donations (vBulletin) but rather get a small amount on a normal basis to make the site self sufficient, on decent equipment (self sufficient has never properly happened.) Various things have been purposely 'held down' to make the forum work better- Turning off vBulletin's CMS and blog system for example. Various people have wanted WtW to start it's own Wiki, which is possible if we get better hardware. Better hardware means faster loading also, and various other elements.

The fact the forum switch from SMF to vBulletin took... what was it... 5 or 6 weeks? Instead of the 1 or 2 or so we planned for, was purely because of the system resources... we literally could not get things to run and work properly early on in the process.

Hope that helps explain it.

Obviously I'd never want someone to donate money they need. But if anyone has a bit extra, either as a once off, or on a monthly basis, consider hitting the donate link at the top and subscribe.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can take a crack at the news if you like? I generally look for it anyway when I have nothing to do, and I used to do it on another forum anyway.
As for donating, I keep trying to put some money aside, but each month something rears its ugly head and I'm dropped back into being broke =/
I am genuinely going to keep trying though.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can take a crack at the news if you like? I generally look for it anyway when I have nothing to do, and I used to do it on another forum anyway.
As for donating, I keep trying to put some money aside, but each month something rears its ugly head and I'm dropped back into being broke =/
I am genuinely going to keep trying though.
PM me and we can discuss the news stuff.

As for donations. In case I haven't been completely clear. Donations/subscriptions are just that, donations. As long as I'm able to, the bills are going to be paid by me. It doesn't inherently affect the site being up (sure it'd be nice for it not to be in the negative, but eh, not much I can do about that.) The goal of donations is foremost to improve the site. If we can get a few people donating, on top of what I pay anyways, we can get much better hardware to hopefully improve the site and fix various issues.

The two issues I'd most like to fix would be- Get the cleaner working to fix up the last remnants of our old software, and the mailqueue.

Plus, while we have no inherent plans to upgrade to vb5 now, it'd be nice to have better hardware. SMF was horribly outdated as far as usage goes, and while that's fixed with vb, vb is also 'larger'. I imagine vb5 will be larger than the current vb.

Frankly, my favorite thing about vb is rather small and something you guys only see once in awhile. The captcha... SMF's captcha system was horribly bad, with few ways to fix it. vb is much better in that regards. We went to our preferred captcha (recaptcha) and when it became obvious that wasn't going to work, we were able to switch over to a new captcha that seems to work quite well (the last year or so of SMF on WtW we had to change how registrations were done, registrations had to be manually approved, as we were getting dozens of spambots a day. Now, we go days without seeing spambots, occasionally seeing one or two.

I'm sure there are various issues I'm not noticing (and things I will discuss in the future, both positive and negative), but I hope if people do have suggestions or negatives they've noticed, they will post so I can look into improving/fixing them. Or just telling us about a positive thing, so that we know if certain things are on the right path.

One thing that I feel very positive about, I like the current version of the portal. We've made more than a few portals here at WtW over the years, and always ended up trashing them to issues with useability (truth be told, the last version, which we had for a few years, I rarely even viewed, it seemed almost superfluous.) Now... I almost always come into the forum through the portal. It just has information and things I find useful.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How do we donate through Amazon Payments? Is that just using the search box on the forum page?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How do we donate through Amazon Payments? Is that just using the search box on the forum page?
The search box adds Amazon Affiliate code to your search. For example, you wanna buy the Blu-ray of Wreck it Ralph. If you search for Wreck It Ralph via that box, then buy it, we get a small share of that sale from Amazon (and you pay the same price.)

If you want to pay via AmazonPayments you go to payments.amazon.com , and do a send money to "godofchaos" (no quotes.) That will send a payment without fees that can be put towards the site.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tried sending you a PM, but it don't think i went through, as its not in my sent box. Could you let me kno of you got it?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It did (I've just been busy and want to properly answer it), which reminds me...

Everyone in case you weren't aware, it doesn't appear that the current software sets it to automatically make copies in your sent folder when you send a PM.

To change this do the following...

Go to Settings, then General Settings. Under the Messaging & Notification section on that page if you go to the last option in that small section, you'll see "Sent Private Messages." Look how yours is set and change it if you want (then scroll down and hit save.)

I think it was properly changed for new members, but there isn't a way to force it on for existing members, so you have to change this setting on your own if you want this feature.