Random Commentary on Evolutionary Relationships V.5

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah there are more wicked fungus with scary appearances in the real life that could be used for designing more new digimons!

Also it needs more many types of parasites...

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could agree on that Mushroommon line easy. It's a good work.

citramon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here are the ever-changing, ever-updating and never-finished trees for these 8 characters from a 10-years old story idea, now in DiM-style format

whit-chart.png
blac-chart.png
red-chart.png
blue-chart.png
oran-chart.png
purp-chart.png
yell-chart.png
gree-chart.png

I hope you don't mind the liberal use of X-Antibody digimon and the fanmade recolors. Some of the recoloring are minor and some are pretty drastic, but I personally don't see them as too "invasive" to not be valid here and the recolored digimon here are meant to be treated as their original species and not distinct fanmon ones.

Anyways, any thoughts or questions? I would love to explain some choices and hear what you would change or not.

Last edited:

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@citramon I really don't like the green Musyamon only because the use of that color doesn't look good on it for me and it feels like blade combat is already being utilized well by the Shurimon -> Ajatarmon path. I was thinking Gawappamon would be better here as it has a similar face to Monmon and flows very well into both Shawujinmon and Murmukusmon and offers a puppet looking cyborg adult level based on folklore that's both an elastic limbed brawler and projectile user so it has themes that can match any of the perfect levels

citramon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@citramon I really don't like the green Musyamon only because the use of that color doesn't look good on it for me and it feels like blade combat is already being utilized well by the Shurimon -> Ajatarmon path. I was thinking Gawappamon would be better here as it has a similar face to Monmon and flows very well into both Shawujinmon and Murmukusmon and offers a puppet looking cyborg adult level based on folklore that's both an elastic limbed brawler and projectile user so it has themes that can match any of the perfect levels
Oh. Yeah, I think you are right, Gawappamon fits way better than the green Musyamon from DW3 and its face (also the hair) is kinda similar to Koemon's indeed. Thank you for the feedback! I'm going to update the chart after work.

VamAngemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, just noticed the parters' site and got my diagnosis. I got Armadimon, a digi I've never cared much for like, at all. But I've grown on it while searching for a good line for him, and got a nice and interesting one, even if perhaps it has been done before.

Armadimon -> Archelomon -> Zudomon -> Marsmon

The theme beign "going to the sea" and then "undersea volcanic eruption", so physical -> water -> water/electrical -> fire is somewhat justified. Also, I like Zudomon -> Marsmon because of its mythological implications; Zudomon could very well be seen as the equivalent of Thor, Mars is equated with Tyr via interpretatio romana, and Thor and Tyr shares a common PIE root, perhaps even beign the same god before the PIE split. Finally, the line is visually pleasant, as many characteristics from the previous evolution (mainly shell and mammal hide). Finally, I'd like to notice that Archelomon -> Zudomon is now anime canon, from Zudo's evo sequence in Adventure:, that besides that Zudomon HC card (Bo-1033) that lists it as evo req. Armadimon to Archelomon is canon via Bo-518, and Zudomon -> Marsmon is not atested in canon in any way AFAIK.

citramon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, just noticed the parters' site and got my diagnosis. I got Armadimon, a digi I've never cared much for like, at all. But I've grown on it while searching for a good line for him, and got a nice and interesting one, even if perhaps it has been done before.

Armadimon -> Archelomon -> Zudomon -> Marsmon

The theme beign "going to the sea" and then "undersea volcanic eruption", so physical -> water -> water/electrical -> fire is somewhat justified. Also, I like Zudomon -> Marsmon because of its mythological implications; Zudomon could very well be seen as the equivalent of Thor, Mars is equated with Tyr via interpretatio romana, and Thor and Tyr shares a common PIE root, perhaps even beign the same god before the PIE split. Finally, the line is visually pleasant, as many characteristics from the previous evolution (mainly shell and mammal hide). Finally, I'd like to notice that Archelomon -> Zudomon is now anime canon, from Zudo's evo sequence in Adventure:, that besides that Zudomon HC card (Bo-1033) that lists it as evo req. Armadimon to Archelomon is canon via Bo-518, and Zudomon -> Marsmon is not atested in canon in any way AFAIK.
Zudomon to Marsmon looks very nice, they both share tusks and a single horn

Zyplum

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, we're doing the partners' site now? Neat. I got Wormmon, which is a digimon that I like quite a bit, so I figured that I'd go with something that I know seems really basic.
The Kuwagamon species always fascinated me, and while I know that any digimon can become anything within reason,this is sort of what I gravitated towards.

gerocabral

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
YC8Ooe7.png

I got kudamon as my partner!
I think this line's my favourite
jLgvgbi.png

And an X antibody alternative
I would love to include other variants as ophanimon falldown mode and ophanimon falldown mode x as evil evolutions,shakkoumon for failed evolution,and siesamon-caturamon-sleipmon for another line,maybe i should make a dim-card!

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool lines. I get the Knight/Swordsman connection, but what's the rational with going with a wolf theme for Kris?
Also, does this mean the man behind the tree has been giving them Digi-Eggs this whole time?

IndustrialPanic

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cool lines. I get the Knight/Swordsman connection, but what's the rational with going with a wolf theme for Kris?
Kris feels out of place in his family for being human, enough that they used to wear fake horns growing up to look more like a monster, so I thought that Gabumon, a digimon that pretends to be what it isn't, would be fitting as a partner. Same reason why I used Gururumon instead of Garurumon btw
Also, does this mean the man behind the tree has been giving them Digi-Eggs this whole time?
Yes, and it's a bunch of Kuramon eggs no less

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oC7cUmI.png

or something idk I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh

Kotekuma

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
New thread, cool! Can we have some guidelines on image size when embedding images to the thread? Having to scroll up and down to see all the contents of an image is ridiculous if you're using a standard screen size.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
New thread, cool! Can we have some guidelines on image size when embedding images to the thread? Having to scroll up and down to see all the contents of an image is ridiculous if you're using a standard screen size.

We didn't have it in the old thread. Not had anyone else think it was an issue.

VamAngemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oC7cUmI.png

or something idk I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh
Why the lvl 1-3? Pillowmon is intended as a Kuriboh equivalent?
And I'd replace Wizarmon with Witchmon as an equivalent to Dark Magician Girl. Although I love Pharaomon, another option for lvl 6 could be the almost forgotten Hermmon, it looks so much like the DM...

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@VamAngemon I'd be curious to see your own if you wanted to make one. I don't know much about Yu-Gi-Oh outside of childhood memories. Also Kuramon looks like the millennium eye and Frimon is a visual joke on Yugi's hair

Darkiu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I did the Digimon Partner quiz and got Bakumon as my partner, kinda cool since I'd already thought he would make a good partner and had made a line.

F2qwsyu.png

I chose Upamon for no other reason besides he's my favorite baby, but the ears are similar to Bakumon so...
I linked them because all of them are gentle, protector and/or prefer to not fight but are also powerful adversaries.
Clavis Angemon is the odd one of the motif, but he's supposed to be something like a BioMerge anyways, not like I'd ever get past perfect though.