Random Commentary on Evolutionary Relationships V.4

goldberry2000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Friendship ended with Monochromon
now WezenGammamon is my best Friend
0x8X2c8.jpg

I love this. The RGB theme with Gammamon's non-dark champions is so damn cool and much as Monochromon fully fits the Gammamon - Triceramon gap, WezenGammamon is beyond perfect.

MightyDuckitron

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An evolution line I thoughtup recently. mainly because I feel Devidramon deserves a bit more love. I used a purple megidramon created by @bossarmadimon just to help keep with colour co-ordination - from what I can tell the chaos gallantmon was created by arrancarfighter.deviantart.com = but The link doesn't appear to be active - just because I thought it was a nicer pic of chaosgallantmon.
If using non-official artwork violates any rules will ammend - took a read but couldn't see anything - could just be me going blind :D

digivolution-line-black-guilmon-png

Last edited:

Holo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's spooky month! So I tried to make a somewhat thematic evolution web. It's not perfect, but I tried. Does anybody else have one?
Side note. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw abbadomon core and immediately though of duskmon and velgrmon.

ccF9JU7.png

RizeVeedramon X

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I've been working on a huge project to map out the "true" evolution lines of every Digimon that currently exists. Obviously what constitutes "true" is entirely up for debate, but I'm sure most people in this thread basically understand what it means. I wanted to do the project in the form of a massive, clean visual representation of said evolutions, so I made a spreadsheet. I had to lay down some rules though. First, I would try to keep to "officially" know evolutions where possible (using Wikimon as a resource), however there are many instances where I deviate from this for a good opportunity. Second, I would try to keep the official levels of everything intact, but again, there are exceptions to this when there is a good opportunity. Third, and most importantly, NO DUPLICATES! Or at least, I would try my absolute best to reduce the number of duplicates (only Omegamon types really have this problem, because it can't reasonably stated whether they belong with the Agumon or Gabumon family). Every time I broke one of the rules, it is clearly marked on the chart.

It's now maybe 90% complete, and I intend to keep updating it. My entire inspiration for doing the chart was the fact that recent years have seen a lot of new evolutions released for very old Digimon who never really had a line of their own (eg. Titamon, NoblePumpmon, etc), so I will take joy in filling out the red spaces as time goes on. I hadn't actually intended to really share this chart anywhere, as it's mostly for my own amusement, but I happened to find this thread via Google and figured some of you may be interested in such a thing. It's all on a Google spreadsheet, so anyone can make comments/suggestions if they wish and I will consider them. At the bottom you'll find tabs for all the Digimon yet to be incorporated into a line. If you disagree with any choices I've made, please feel free to rip into me, I'd love to hear why.

Here's the chart, enjoy:

Also, if my very creative name sounds familiar (minus the X), it's because I used to be a more active participant in the Digimon community circa 2007-2012, though I was a teen at the time. I started on the CCG forums, ended up getting into spriting, ran the Digimon Universe site after CCG went down, and helped run Tamers of the Future after that. I used to have an account here too, but I wasn't too active, and seem to be locked out now. I never stopped enjoying Digimon, but my ecitement for Ghost Game has really spurred me into having a little more fun.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I've been working on a huge project to map out the "true" evolution lines of every Digimon that currently exists. Obviously what constitutes "true" is entirely up for debate, but I'm sure most people in this thread basically understand what it means. I wanted to do the project in the form of a massive, clean visual representation of said evolutions, so I made a spreadsheet. I had to lay down some rules though. First, I would try to keep to "officially" know evolutions where possible (using Wikimon as a resource), however there are many instances where I deviate from this for a good opportunity. Second, I would try to keep the official levels of everything intact, but again, there are exceptions to this when there is a good opportunity. Third, and most importantly, NO DUPLICATES! Or at least, I would try my absolute best to reduce the number of duplicates (only Omegamon types really have this problem, because it can't reasonably stated whether they belong with the Agumon or Gabumon family). Every time I broke one of the rules, it is clearly marked on the chart.

It's now maybe 90% complete, and I intend to keep updating it. My entire inspiration for doing the chart was the fact that recent years have seen a lot of new evolutions released for very old Digimon who never really had a line of their own (eg. Titamon, NoblePumpmon, etc), so I will take joy in filling out the red spaces as time goes on. I hadn't actually intended to really share this chart anywhere, as it's mostly for my own amusement, but I happened to find this thread via Google and figured some of you may be interested in such a thing. It's all on a Google spreadsheet, so anyone can make comments/suggestions if they wish and I will consider them. At the bottom you'll find tabs for all the Digimon yet to be incorporated into a line. If you disagree with any choices I've made, please feel free to rip into me, I'd love to hear why.

Here's the chart, enjoy:

Also, if my very creative name sounds familiar (minus the X), it's because I used to be a more active participant in the Digimon community circa 2007-2012, though I was a teen at the time. I started on the CCG forums, ended up getting into spriting, ran the Digimon Universe site after CCG went down, and helped run Tamers of the Future after that. I used to have an account here too, but I wasn't too active, and seem to be locked out now. I never stopped enjoying Digimon, but my ecitement for Ghost Game has really spurred me into having a little more fun.

If your is list is meant to be "canon lines", then you kinda went against that in nearly all of them. Like, why is Matadormon with random guys? why does Belphemon not come with his actual created line? and those are just two of many. Why are you using Dracmon > Goatmon > SkullSatamon > GranDracmon over the actual "canon" line?

RizeVeedramon X

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Here's the chart, enjoy:

If your is list is meant to be "canon lines", then you kinda went against that in nearly all of them. Like, why is Matadormon with random guys? why does Belphemon not come with his actual created line? and those are just two of many.
Okay maybe I was assuming too much when I said everyone here would understand what I meant, my apologies. The goal is not to stick only to canon lines. As I specifically said, there are numerous circumstances where I break with canon. Anyone can find the canon evolutions with a brief Google. I want to create the best lines overall, based on a balance of intent, design, and theme (the same principles anyone used when making an evolution line). As I said, this is entirely for my own entertainment to try and condense everything down as much as possible with as few holes as possible, while maintaining some degree of artistic integrity. Hope I explained that alright.

Edit: As an example, Rebellimon is clearly intended to be the perfect of Ogremon, but he cannot canon evolve into Titamon, who is clearly meant to be Ogremon's Ultimate. This is an easy breach of canon for me, as it results in a better line. There are tougher scenarios though where intent doesn't factor in as much. (Though technically Ogremon can warp evo to Titamon, so I probably wouldn't put a note there denoting breach of canon, even though it's a bit wonky)

Last edited:

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think most of us understood what you meant, were just confused with a lot of the departures you made. Why does Tsukaimon, a demonic familiar, no evolve into any demon type Digimon? Why does classic Falcomon take a sudden turn into plant species? Why separate MarineChimeramo and Regulecusmon? You mention that you were inspired by recent evolutions to older Digimon, so why doesn’t Gargomon evolve into Manticoremon?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why separate MarineChimeramo and Regulecusmon?
While I agree with the rest of your examples, I'll clarify that there is no explicit connection between those two. Beyond a partial-similarity of general body-shape, the two don't share any unique or distinctive traits.

If anything, Piranimon has the opposite situation. While it has a drastically different body-shape, it shares many specific traits with Regalecusmon (blue body stripes, side-fins with "ear" piercings, bone-teeth necklace/belt, yellow feral eyes, segmented helmet with red painted stripes on the sides, the Virus-attribute, and well being a fish). But because of how body-shapes have such a drastic effect on the first impressions, Piranimon is often dismissed in favor of the more superficially-similar MarineChimeramon.

RizeVeedramon X

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think most of us understood what you meant, were just confused with a lot of the departures you made. Why does Tsukaimon, a demonic familiar, no evolve into any demon type Digimon? Why does classic Falcomon take a sudden turn into plant species? Why separate MarineChimeramo and Regulecusmon? You mention that you were inspired by recent evolutions to older Digimon, so why doesn’t Gargomon evolve into Manticoremon?
1. I agree Tsukaimon is not ideal, but it just happened to fill a perfect hole in a line of off-color Angemons. I don't think it's unreasonable that purple Patamon turns into purple Angemon, no?
2. As for Falcomon, to be honest I was under the impression that that was meant to be his new canon line. Tropiamon can evolve from Diatrymon, and the resemblance is quite strong. I thought it was kind of cool that he began developing plant parts out of the colorful feather patterns, but I'm open to other ideas.
3. As for Gargomon and Manticoremon, that's... actually a really good idea, thank you! No canon connection between them as far as I can tell, as Manticoremon is meant to evolve from Mimicmon, but the change is quite justifiable! Surprised I didn't think of it.
4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see what MarineChimeramon has to do with Regalecusmon? It seemed obvious to me that he was meant for Gusokumon, given the lobster motif, but maybe I'm missing something. MarineChimaeramon looks far more like a Coelamon evo to me, though obviously it's because of the chimaera aspect, but what can you do.

This is still very much a work in progress, so I don't blame anyone for being confused. Literally nothing is set in stone on the chart, and believe me, I'm not enthusiastic about a lot of the choices I've had to make so far. There's plenty where I'd prefer to be convinced of something else. There is a SEVERE overabundance of adult level Digimon, and an equally severe lack of child levels. There are constantly multiple lines fighting over who gets what, and it's not easy to choose.

I'm sure most people have ZERO interest in looking over a huge chart like this, so thank you to everyone who did, and thanks so much for the feedback! Didn't actually expect any responses.

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2. As for Falcomon, to be honest I was under the impression that that was meant to be his new canon line. Tropiamon can evolve from Diatrymon, and the resemblance is quite strong. I thought it was kind of cool that he began developing plant parts out of the colorful feather patterns, but I'm open to other ideas.
3. As for Gargomon and Manticoremon, that's... actually a really good idea, thank you! No canon connection between them as far as I can tell, as Manticoremon is meant to evolve from Mimicmon, but the change is quite justifiable! Surprised I didn't think of it.
I still don't quite understand your criteria for choosing between "canon" or personal preferences. Most of it seems arbitrarily decided.

However, if you're talking about "canon" as in their "specifically-designed" lines, then Falcomon (original)'s line has always been Diatrymon > Yatagaramon (original) > Valdurmon, since its debut in the Accel Nature Genome V-Pet. The Savers Falcomon has a redesigned Yatagaramon as its Perfect for a reason.

For Tropiamon, the concept artworks for the Pendulum Z implies that its intended line is Pomumon > Parasaurmon, with Entmon being the "SkullGreymon" of the line.
Windguardians_pendulumz_concept_sketch.jpg

As for Gargomon > Manticoremon, it's not "canon" in that it hasn't happened in an official media yet, but it's completely "intended". Manticoremon was specifically designed as an evolution for Gargomon, as shown in the concept art.
Virusbusters_pendulumz_concept_sketch.jpg

Side note: the concept notes beneath Baluchimon lists "Mammon" and "SkullBaluchimon" as possible evolutions for Baluchimon.

Tomozaurus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Agreed. I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but find many choices somewhat baffling.

RizeVeedramon X

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I still don't quite understand your criteria for choosing between "canon" or personal preferences. Most of it seems arbitrarily decided.

However, if you're talking about "canon" as in their "specifically-designed" lines, then Falcomon (original)'s line has always been Diatrymon > Yatagaramon (original) > Valdurmon, since its debut in the Accel Nature Genome V-Pet. The Savers Falcomon has a redesigned Yatagaramon as its Perfect for a reason.

For Tropiamon, the concept artworks for the Pendulum Z implies that its intended line is Pomumon > Parasaurmon, with Entmon being the "SkullGreymon" of the line.
Windguardians_pendulumz_concept_sketch.jpg

As for Gargomon > Manticoremon, it's not "canon" in that it hasn't happened in an official media yet, but it's completely "intended". Manticoremon was specifically designed as an evolution for Gargomon, as shown in the concept art.
Virusbusters_pendulumz_concept_sketch.jpg

Side note: the concept notes beneath Baluchimon lists "Mammon" and "SkullBaluchimon" as possible evolutions for Baluchimon.
Well that's the thing, my criteria ARE kinda arbitrary. I follow the rules I set out unless breaking them would give me some kind of aesthetic satisfaction. Like I said, I never actually made this chart with the intention of sharing it, so the confusion and scrutiny is completely warranted. That's why I said it was totally fine to rip into me.

But to address the specific comments...
I did know that the old Yatagaramon was the old Falcomon's intended perfect, but I honestly didn't know Valdurmon was meant to be his ultimate. The concept art also makes the visual connection between Parasaurmon and Tropiamon more apparent. To be honest I think I still prefer my version of Falcomon visually, but I might actually defer to canon on this one simply because I really hate having Ornismon as Paramon's ultimate. I might toss him with Duskmon/Velgrmon instead. Thank you for the info! Unfortunately that puts Entmon out of a job, but I can deal with that later.

The concept art stuff is neat, I'm not privy to that kind of stuff so I thank you for your knowledge there. Based on that, I think I can justify removing the non-canon label on that one. Sadly that puts Mimicmon out of a job, though that art certainly seems to imply he was meant to have an evo.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sadly that puts Mimicmon out of a job, though that art certainly seems to imply he was meant to have an evo.
Oh, those aren't possible evolutions for Mimicmon. Those are Mimicmon's prototype designs, back when his developmental name was "Rebellimon" (which was re-used for Ogremon's new Perfect).

Lord Bearmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Here's the chart, enjoy:

Very cool, I have a similar spreadsheet too but there are branching evolutions so some duplicates in the pre-evos. It's in my signature if you wanna take a look and maybe get some inspiration :D

LuWis

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Here's the chart, enjoy:

Wow, that is cool. I was about to start making an excel spreadsheet to make a Pokedex style Digimon sheet but I couldn't figure out how to make each picture stay within one block.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appoddomon Line:

s2342Op.png

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ooh we talkin' spreadsheets? I have one- no pictures, just text- also trying to "fill out" evolution lines. Mine seems to be a bit different from some others here, though; Instead of trying to have all completely unique lines from Baby I to Ultimate with no duplicates, I'm just trying to make sure each Digimon from Child to Perfect has its own "main" evolution as one of many "branches" in its evolutionary tree. I also came up with some math formulas to make sure it's somewhat balanced and diverse. It's mostly for me to get ideas for fan Digimon I wanna make (there's a lot of Digimon, especially older ones, without dedicated "canon" evolutions and I think that's lame)... and because I just like making lists when I'm bored :ᚦ